Get your cameras ready at 1pm at Epcot. Thoughts on Day 1 of GotG

CVW

DIS Veteran
Just got off GotG after scoring a 1pm VQ. (Failed both VQ and ILL$ at 7am.)

I was in the DVC Lounge in Epcot, where I realized several other families were also hanging out waiting for the 1pm drop. Within a minute or so, a huge, loud cheer erupted in the lounge…as if we were all watching a football game.

My very unscientific assessment is that everyone in the lounge trying for the 1pm VQ was successful in doing so.

The scene was almost comical. One dad yelled “Free drinks on me!” and several of us gathered at the beverage counter to compare notes. All of us had every adult in our party swiping their phones. I thought we had failed, only to have my wife lead the cheers.

I wish I had the sudden cheers on video, but we were too busy swiping every electronic device in sight.

I was in the DVC Lounge in Epcot, where I realized several other families were also hanging out waiting for the 1pm drop. Within a minute or so, a huge, loud cheer erupted in the lounge…as if we were all watching a football game.

My very unscientific assessment is that everyone in the lounge trying for the 1pm VQ was successful in doing so.

The scene was almost comical. One dad yelled “Free drinks on me!” and several of us gathered at the beverage counter to compare notes. All of us had every adult in our party swiping their phones. I thought we had failed, only to have my wife lead the cheers.

I wish I had the sudden cheers on video, but we were too busy swiping every electronic device in sight.
I feel like I remember folks saying there were hot spots (better wifi/tower connection) in certain spots in DHS to get the 1 pm Rise virtual. Any thoughts on where might be best at Epcot, was the Lounge considered a better wifi spot or just coincidence?

I was in the store in Epcot. I used cell signal, not Disney wifi
I got a group at 1
A lot of others were clearly doing the same, vying for a group at 1.
A lot of cheers went up
A few groans went up too

Why do you think it was that you didn’t get ILL$ at 7am this morning?

[
Here’s my thought…

We did everything perfectly at 7am and within three swipes it said they were gone.

At 1pm, not only were we instantly successful, but our boarding time was only an hour away. I think at 7, they only give out enough spots to fill til, say, 2pm if there’s no down time.

Which means at 1 pm you’re only competing with those who failed at 7am (because the successful ones are locked out) and yet at least half—maybe more than half—of the day is still available.

If I’m right, then most people should be successful at 1pm.

Another reason: Epcot was “full” with no availability to get into the park. But it was not Christmas Eve full. I think they may be managing capacity so that most guests will get to ride.

I can remember the cheers at DHS when the virtual queue was still relatively new for Rise. We were in a very large group, having been let into the park early but not allowed to proceed very far until actual open so everyone was staring at their phones for the VQ. When the hour hit, there was an eruption like you described. We got ours that morning, stood in line 3 times through a couple breakdowns before we were finally were able to ride around 3pm. :)

One of my favorite Disney memories was when ROTR first opened at Disneyland and they were dropping the entire day of BGs in the morning. Since it was before rope drop, everyone congregated in Town Square (in front of the train station) and down the open part of Main Street.

Just before the BGs dropped, the park would go dead silent. (It was eerie and cool.) Within seconds of BGs dropping, there would be random blasts of cheering before the whole place erupted. It was ridiculously awesome.

I kept wanting to capture it on video, but I was always using my phone to get a BG. (I seriously considered showing up once just to film it, but it seemed crazy to go to the effort to be there and not try for a BG.)

I would like to know this too…. :)

From multiple reports, the ILLs appeared sold out within a minute or so, but around 7:10/7:15 there was availability again until about 7:20. Common thought is that it wasn't so much a sudden drop as it was that people tied them up either "practicing" (I really wish Disney would find a way to cut out allowing this) with no intention of going or with the payment failures/error screens. Those "hold" the ILLs in that invisible cart and release them in 10ish minutes, making it appear that Disney dropped more suddenly.

I think a lot of people when they appeared gone in the first minutes just didn't bother trying again when had they looked after 7:10/7:15 (but before 7:20) they may have gotten them.

Moral of the story - look again around 7:10/7:15 if they seem "sold out" immediately.

Reactions: CVW
Which store? There are a lot of them! :D
Should have said THE store. Maybe that would have helped 😂
Though honestly I couldn’t tell you the name today
Once upon a time it was mouse gears. It’s got a new name now but it’s going to take me a few years to get it down. 🫣

Should have said THE store. Maybe that would have helped 😂
Though honestly I couldn’t tell you the name today
Once upon a time it was mouse gears. It’s got a new name now but it’s going to take me a few years to get it down. 🫣

Creations Shop?

From multiple reports, the ILLs appeared sold out within a minute or so, but around 7:10/7:15 there was availability again until about 7:20. Common thought is that it wasn't so much a sudden drop as it was that people tied them up either "practicing" (I really wish Disney would find a way to cut out allowing this) with no intention of going or with the payment failures/error screens. Those "hold" the ILLs in that invisible cart and release them in 10ish minutes, making it appear that Disney dropped more suddenly.

I think a lot of people when they appeared gone in the first minutes just didn't bother trying again when had they looked after 7:10/7:15 (but before 7:20) they may have gotten them.

Moral of the story - look again around 7:10/7:15 if they seem "sold out" immediately.
I can confirm this as failed at 7Am but kept refreshing and at 7:10 ILLs reappeared and was able to snag 10:55 time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter