• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting a biopsy: What to expect?

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
I'm getting a liver biopsy on Tuesday & I'm terrified :(
They are calling it a "medical biopsy" which I guess is shorter in duration than a different kind of one (I'm not quite sure what that means).
They will put me in a "twilight sleep" which also frightens me and I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Can anyone walk me through this? I'm scared about being "awake" through the procedure.
What does twilight sleep feel like?
How long do you think the biopsy will take?
Does it take a long time to get the results?

Thank you~

I've been put in a twilight sleep quite a few times. For me, I never am aware during the procedure but I do wake up really quickly afterward. Most biopsies are fairly quick. Good luck!

I've been put in a twilight sleep quite a few times. For me, I never am aware during the procedure but I do wake up really quickly afterward. Most biopsies are fairly quick. Good luck!

Thank you so much. Does the twilight sleep actually make you sleep? The way they explained it, I thought I would be awake throughout the procedure? I'd feel much less scared if I could sleep through it.

I've had a twilight sleep many times. You are definitely asleep. I'm not sure why they call it "twilight." I go down pretty hard and it feels like a deep sleep to me.

The best way I can describe twilight sleep is you are "out of it" but responsive. It won't be like you are just numbed with local anesthetic and the biopsy is taken in the case of twilight sleep. I've had that for multiple types of biopsies since I was a kid and it was fine.

Twilight sleep is light sedation. Unlike general anesthesia that is meant to put you under. Twilight sleep is to relax you and make you comfortable during the procedure without putting you to sleep. Some people do go to sleep but if still asked a question, can answer. It depends on your tolerance to any discomfort that may (or may not ) occur during the procedure and how the medication effects you. Everyone is different. You will be monitored, attached to EKG, blood pressure and O2 saturation.

Thank you all so much. I'm pretty freaked out by all of this, but your responses about the twilight sleep are of comfort to me.

How long to biopsies take to perform in general?
& what does the prep part entail?

They told me afterwards I will need to go to a recovery room to lie down & be monitored for 4 hours.

I can't speak for liver biopsy specifically, but for several different types of procedures that I've had, basically the routine was the same: fill out questionnaire/paperwork. You will have to change into gown and put personal belongings in a bag. An IV is placed (I hope you have good veins) and you will get hooked up to the assorted devices that monitor your vital signs.

After the biopsy is done, you'll be in recovery for the specified amount of time. You'll be given discharge instructions and anything else you need to know.

As for how long the biopsy takes and how long before you'll get the results back, only you're doctor can give you those answers.

And whatever you do, while waiting for the results, stay off Google.

I hope all turns out well for you.

If they are using twilight, it shouldn’t be bad. I had twilight for wisdom teeth, I think I’m the only person who was able to stay awake, but it was awesome. I had a lung biopsy under general, and I’m not sure what they use for colonoscopies but I don’t think it’s general and I remembered nothing of either. General can make you sick and it’s harder to come t0, with some confusion (I’ve had it 4 times and know I need anti nausea meds in my IV).

I've had several colonoscopies, a couple D&Cs, and an upper GI endoscopy with twilight. Didn't know or feel anything, wasn't even aware of time passing. I was "here" and then I was waking up, "back" again.
This is what I'm hoping will happen with me.

I had twilight anesthesia for an endoscopy one time. I was not aware it was happening. I guess I even dressed myself after. I "woke" up after I was fully dressed and kept asking my husband who dressed me? He told me I dressed myself. I kept falling asleep on the ride home and kept repeating questions over and over again lol. I kept asking what the Dr said and who dressed me lol.

Wishing you well, aristocatz. You'll do fine.

I've had several 'twilights' over the years. Similar to above. I was awake one moment, out the next and then awake a little time later. No recollection of the procedure.

Thank you so much. Does the twilight sleep actually make you sleep? The way they explained it, I thought I would be awake throughout the procedure? I'd feel much less scared if I could sleep through it.
Quite often twilight sleep is achieved with a combination of fentanyl and ketamine and a sedative. Ketamine keeps you still so you don't move during the procedure. Fentanyl is an amnesiac so you don't remember what may or may not have happened and the sedative will be strong so you are very "floaty" and not emotionally distressed. Although you won't be technically unconscious, when you come out of it, it will be like the time stood still.

I won’t get too technical because I don’t want to make you nervous. But I will say this. The very first patient I ever cared for as a student nurse (at “St Elsewhere”) was a young woman who had a liver biopsy performed at the regular bedside by an inexperienced medical resident, me “assisting” 😮, and no sedation at all! Which was, ahem, interesting. So things have improved a lot since then!

Others have gotten it right. It won’t take long and you likely won’t remember it or feel pain thanks to a nice cocktail of fast acting drugs that sedate, cause amnesia and relieve pain. Zillions of people take this same cocktail around the world every day for various procedures so that should be reassuring. Before you know it you’ll be on your way home and it will be behind you. You will probably wonder why you worried. No shame in it, I don’t like procedures myself. 😯

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

Thank you all so much. I'm pretty freaked out by all of this, but your responses about the twilight sleep are of comfort to me.

How long to biopsies take to perform in general?
& what does the prep part entail?

They told me afterwards I will need to go to a recovery room to lie down & be monitored for 4 hours.
When are you having this done? You should receive some sort of information from the provider who is doing the procedure. It can be: nothing to eat or drink for so many hours, they may ask you to stop certain medications prior to the procedure (which needs to be bought to the attention of your doctor), etc. They'll monitor you and your vital signs and watch for any signs of bleeding post procedure.

When are you having this done? You should receive some sort of information from the provider who is doing the procedure. It can be: nothing to eat or drink for so many hours, they may ask you to stop certain medications prior to the procedure (which needs to be bought to the attention of your doctor), etc. They'll monitor you and your vital signs and watch for any signs of bleeding post procedure.

Thank you. They ended up calling the night before with some info. It wasn't as scary as I expected and it went by quickly. I was also very grateful to have a very compassionate nurse, who was wonderful with making me feel calm and relaxed. The results, of course, were inconclusive of diagnosis, so now I have to follow up with more testing :(

Thank you. They ended up calling the night before with some info. It wasn't as scary as I expected and it went by quickly. I was also very grateful to have a very compassionate nurse, who was wonderful with making me feel calm and relaxed. The results, of course, were inconclusive of diagnosis, so now I have to follow up with more testing :(
Glad to hear the procedure went well. Wishing you all the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter