Getting diesel fuel with the big rigs

Kubatob7500

Earning My Ears
Tentatively we are planning on making our annual trip to the fort. Arriving Oct 24. Traveling from central Pa. During the drive I use the big rig diesel pumps since much easier to access. Only question is, is there a way that we can pay at those pumps? Most of the time we need to go in and make payment. With today’s environment I was wondering if there is a work around this process? Do any fellow campers know of maybe a pre paid card that I could obtain to use at those pumps or another way to make payment without going in?

Thank you in advance for the help

If you are a Good Sam member, you can get a Pilot Flying J charge card. Works right at the big rig pumps plus a bit of a discount. There are cheaper ways I assume but this is certainly an easy way if you are so inclined. Good luck

I usually go in and pay cash. Realize this uses more time but by then I want to walk some and paying in cash at truck stops saves more money than any card I've run across.

Just remember when using the Big Boy pumps, to select tractor for your fuel. Reefer is for off road use only, and if you get caught, it is a fine. I used the Pilot card when we had the LGT(dually). We also used the Pilot card when we upgraded trucks.
We recently switched over to TSD and will be using them this trip. The savings for us out of South Central PA will be HUGE.

Thank you all for the replies. Have chosen the pilot/flying J card. I’ll see how this works this time and might try for other suggestion at later date.

We have set the wheels in motion for trip. Starting this weekend we will start removing items from permanent campsite here in Pa and get ready for trip.

As far as getting out to stretch legs, we have a 2 year Old German Shepard. Tried to insert photo. Could not see how.

thanks for all the replies

Thank you all for the replies. Have chosen the pilot/flying J card. I’ll see how this works this time and might try for other suggestion at later date.

We have set the wheels in motion for trip. Starting this weekend we will start removing items from permanent campsite here in Pa and get ready for trip.

As far as getting out to stretch legs, we have a 2 year Old German Shepard. Tried to insert photo. Could not see how.

thanks for all the replies
We have the Pilot/Flying J card and it has worked well for us over the last few years. I agree it's a pain to go inside. We're going to get the TSD card as we've been in a position where we needed to fuel up and there weren't any Pilot/Flying J's but there were Loves and TA stations.
We have a Loves about 5 miles away and It's in a good spot to fill up on the way home or the way out on a trip. I'd like to have a card to keep from going in all the time.

I have a TSD account as well. You can get pretty good deals at T/A truckstops (in my area) but in my experience thats about it. I usually find better prices at a Murphys then at say a Loves with the TDS card. For example right now close to me Loves is $2.38/g and TSD discounts that .16 cents. Murphys diesel is $1.83

Last edited:
I think difference is that for those pulling bigger rigs the big truck stops are easier in and out fuel ups. Murphy is usually hard to beat, but the ones around here are not friendly to those trying to maneuver a larger trailer.

I have a TSD account as well. You can get diesel pretty good deals at T/A truckstops (in my area) but in my experience thats about it. I usually find better prices at a Murphys then at say a Loves with the TDS card. For example right now close to me Loves is $2.38/g and TSD discounts that .16 cents. Murphys diesel is $1.83
Hmmm...that doesn't seem right. My last visit back in July (pandemic travel restrictions) I got .68 off the pump price. Pump price was $2.599, after TSD card inserted it dropped to $2.539 and when finished pumping and checking the smart phone app the price I actually paid was $1.915, or .684 cents/gal savings

Hmmm...that doesn't seem right. My last visit back in July (pandemic travel restrictions) I got .68 off the pump price. Pump price was $2.599, after TSD card inserted it dropped to $2.539 and when finished pumping and checking the smart phone app the price I actually paid was $1.915, or .684 cents/gal savings
At a Loves? I've never seen those savings there. TA yes

Edit. Did a bit of digging. Looks like Loves used to give good discounts.

Last edited:
I think difference is that for those pulling bigger rigs the big truck stops are easier in and out fuel ups. Murphy is usually hard to beat, but the ones around here are not friendly to those trying to maneuver a larger trailer.
Yep. im pulling a 39ft Solitude with a LB dually. I scout my stops out before commit. I have a TSD acct but its not always the deal in town.

At a Loves? I've never seen those savings there. TA yes

Edit. Did a bit of digging. Looks like Loves used to give good discounts.
Your are correct, that was at TA.

My last Loves stop was Jan '19. Savings there was as follows:
Pump $3.099;
after TSD card insert - $3.049;
on the app after fueling up - $2.521.
Savings was "only" $.578 cents/gallon from full retail, or $.528 cents from the after card insertion price.
I still contend that's better than "cash" price by a lot.

My Pilot/FlyingJ card only gives $.09 cents/gallon. TSD card not accepted at PFJ since Good Sam reminded them about their sole service contract for RVers.

Your are correct, that was at TA.

My last Loves stop was Jan '19. Savings there was as follows:
Pump $3.099;
after TSD card insert - $3.049;
on the app after fueling up - $2.521.
Savings was "only" $.578 cents/gallon from full retail, or $.528 cents from the after card insertion price.
I still contend that's better than "cash" price by a lot.

My Pilot/FlyingJ card only gives $.09 cents/gallon. TSD card not accepted at PFJ since Good Sam reminded them about their sole service contract for RVers.

Yep. TSD and TA is hard to beat. Got to watch out for Franchise TA's though. I always look at the daily sheet before I stop. Like you said Good Sam/Camping World screwed the Pilot deal up and I don't know what happened to Loves but now they are a flat .16 cents off retail but I don't use Loves much anyway. Sometimes you can find a good prices on Gas Buddy as well.

What I have been kicking around for a while now but just haven't pulled the trigger is a Titan 55g direct replacement under body tank. I could eliminate stopping at all for fuel while towing on most trips I take. They're about $1200 so I'm still on the fence.

Yep. TSD and TA is hard to beat. Got to watch out for Franchise TA's though. I always look at the daily sheet before I stop. Like you said Good Sam/Camping World screwed the Pilot deal up and I don't know what happened to Loves but now they are a flat .16 cents off retail but I don't use Loves much anyway. Sometimes you can find a good prices on Gas Buddy as well.

What I have been kicking around for a while now but just haven't pulled the trigger is a Titan 55g direct replacement under body tank. I could eliminate stopping at all for fuel while towing on most trips I take. They're about $1200 so I'm still on the fence.

Best move i made was a 60 gallon fuel box. It gives me extra 60 gallons and still have toolbox on top to use. It gives me about 900 miles pulling RV in conjunction with the truck tank.

...I don't know what happened to Loves but now they are a flat .16 cents off retail...Sometimes you can find a good prices on Gas Buddy as well.

Best move i made was a 60 gallon fuel box. It gives me extra 60 gallons and still have toolbox on top to use. It gives me about 900 miles pulling RV in conjunction with the truck tank.
Did NOT know that about Loves; bummer.

Those under body tanks are great, but out of my price range.

I went the route tiggerdad did, a fuel box in the pickup bed. Mine is only 33 gallons though. Good for 600 miles with truck tank.

I may look at a combo box as well. You guys running a pump or tapping your filler neck?
Filler neck...stops by itself when truck tank gets full. Can't leave the transfer valve open all the time, however. The digital fuel level computer can't figure out my fuel mileage if the tank never decreases. After a couple hundred miles it hits an "unable to compute" trigger. Turning truck off will reset it...so far. Also, truck needs to be on level ground during transfer; I've had spillover when parked on a slope when trying to transfer. Very happy with this setup.

Stork, if you are referring to the TSD discount at the Loves stations, it's now a flat rate discount of $0.16/gal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter