getting in shape for trip?

DIS Dad #856
I was wondering how many of you "train" for your trip to the world?
I have started walking 3-6 miles a day depending on how much time I have.I find it helps me for all the walking you typically do during a week at Disney.
A side benefit is my pooch really enjoys the outings and I get to break in my shoes before the trip.

Every.Single.Time. :) I leave in 16 days and I wanted to cram in some last minute walks in but I have a horrendous chest cold right now so I can't. Good thing I'm going with with my Mom and Aunt..72 and 74 respectfully..and will be taking it slow :)

I haven't been able to work it in this time (which I'll probably regret) but we've definitely done family walks in the past - especially before DS's first big trip.

That is great; enjoy the walk...you can do more planning with every mile!
I do enough at the gym, no extra outside training for me.:earsboy:

Yep, I'm a gym rat, so I don't do anything at all different before a trip. Though my gym work is 85% weight lifting and 15% cardio, so going to WDW which is 100% cardio is a bit of a switch up.

Really, if you don't exercise regularly, unless you start at least 4-6 weeks or more before your trip, it's not going to make a huge difference. You may feel like it will...there's always something to be said for mind over matter. But physically it won't make a big difference if you start walking just a week or two ahead of the trip.

I exercise 4-5 times a week regularly. Beachbody videos (Insanity is my favorite), spinning classes and I do leg day (squats, lunges, etc) with weights about once a week. BUT I still feel the burn in my calves around day 3 at WDW.

I always walk at least 3 miles a day. I don't do anything special for Disney trips, but we don't go commando either.

Never before a Disney trip - we've hauled our slothful selves through those just fine. But we are trying to get ready for an upcoming tour of Europe where we will be touring 10 hours a day for 5 days out of 7. It's not the walking so much that concerns us; just the relentless pace in general which will be controlled by the guides.

I exercise 4-5 times a week regularly. Beachbody videos (Insanity is my favorite), spinning classes and I do leg day (squats, lunges, etc) with weights about once a week. BUT I still feel the burn in my calves around day 3 at WDW.

Yep, unless you're routinely doing a ton of cardio or are an avid runner, you're still going to "feel it" after a few days of WDW.

I don't do anything special for Disney trips, but we don't go commando either.

Glad to hear it.. We don't go commando at WDW either...it may cause, uh, irritation. o_O :tongue:

Walk more than you would in wdw. I been lazy lately I haven't hit my goal of 13.1 miles a day lately. Walk more than you will walk at wdw than wdw will be nothing for you. If you are only walking 5 miles a day and at wdw you walk 9 miles you might feel it.

I do. For the most part, I'm really sedentary other than in summer when I swim a lot, so I start walking on the treadmill and at my local recreation complex around the track about 3 months out from a Disney trip. I find that even if I only walk a couple miles a day, the extensive walking around WDW doesn't bother me as much, even though my touring style is very much go-go-go (on my last trip, I logged a little under 30 miles in four days). Don't get me wrong, I'm still sore after a long day in the parks, but after a good soaking in the tub and a good night's sleep, I usually bounce right back.

Yep, unless you're routinely doing a ton of cardio or are an avid runner, you're still going to "feel it" after a few days of WDW.

Glad to hear it.. We don't go commando at WDW either...it may cause, uh, irritation. o_O :tongue:

Even when I used to run 3 miles a day on a treadmill 5 days a week my calves still hurt at WDW!! Uneven, hot pavement just isn't the same as a treadmill. lol

I can go the distance, walking more each day (I'm currently 61 days out). It's the heat/humidity I can't really train for. That I'll just have to buck up and deal with. It's not hot if you are having fun right?

The only training I do is for my feetsies when I'm going somewhere out of state (really out of climate). I wear flip flops everyday. I exercise barefoot or in flip-flops (I don't run) and pretty much the only
Time I wear shoes is to car and then sit lol.

So I have to bust out the trainers before a trip. I get blisters on my toes, my heels and on the bottoms of my feet! Who gets blisters there?!? I have to try different types of socks because most materials and any seams give me blisters. I also walk kind of awkwardly in trainers because I don't know what to do with my toes!

I always bring a spare pair of flops with me though. I ended off freezing my toesies off in Tokyo because after day one, there's no way I could have done the 11-13 miles we walked if I hadn't been able to throw on my flip flops.

No because my low on a regular day is about 15,000 steps/7ish miles. At least three times a week I break 20,000/10ish miles. DLR/DCA with a break in the afternoon is anywhere between 21,000-27,000/7-10 miles a day so I'm good. Not that I don't feel it, the circumstances/conditions are different so I will no matter what but I don't feel it near as bad as when I was a total sloth.

The only training I do is for my feetsies when I'm going somewhere out of state (really out of climate). I wear flip flops everyday. I exercise barefoot or in flip-flops (I don't run) and pretty much the only
Time I wear shoes is to car and then sit lol.

So I have to bust out the trainers before a trip. I get blisters on my toes, my heels and on the bottoms of my feet! Who gets blisters there?!? I have to try different types of socks because most materials and any seams give me blisters. I also walk kind of awkwardly in trainers because I don't know what to do with my toes!

I always bring a spare pair of flops with me though. I ended off freezing my toesies off in Tokyo because after day one, there's no way I could have done the 11-13 miles we walked if I hadn't been able to throw on my flip flops.
I got a huge blister on the bottom of my foot, right at the base of my toes. The problem was my shoes were too big so my foot was sliding around in there causing friction. Like you I wore sandals 90% of the time so when I'd put on shoes my feet felt confined and I kept buying bigger shoes to compensate. My advice would be to get properly fitted (you should not be suffering blisters w/well fitted shoes) and "practice" wearing real shoes more often.

Nope, I work out 5 days a week, a mix of cardio/strength/core and yoga so no need. I actually do easier workouts the week before a trip, the last thing I need is to hurt myself or have sore muscles. I do still do at least a 30 min. fast walk and some yoga every morning while at WDW, early in the morning around 6 I'm out walking the trails in the resorts. I used to jog but blew out my knees so no more of that. I don't do any strength training while there unless you count lifting a refreshing adult beverage and carrying everything I buy.

YES! Mrs. Homie and I are both quite porky, and so we need to get somewhat in shape if we're going to keep up with ourselves in December. We've been going to an abandoned mining road down the way from us and walking each day. Unfortunately she's got a really bad cold right now, but when she gets better we're back to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter