• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting on the ship quicker...

WINTER

DIS Veteran
Does taking the DCL bus or taking a private transfer get you on the ship quicker? Or does it matter?

Does taking the DCL bus or taking a private transfer get you on the ship quicker? Or does it matter?
Since everyone has to have a COVID test prior to boarding, you are required to arrive based on your Port Arrival Time to be tested.

Now, arriving via DCL transfers, typically, doesn't require a PAT, but you may be prompted to select one, anyway.

It comes down to boarding group - so if the DCL bus gives you a higher boarding group, then you'll be on faster. With the private transfer I had a decent arrival time, but our boarding group (which I received the night I checked in) was 6, so we still had to wait an hour after we got through testing and security.

I believe DCL transfers have been arriving somewhat earlier and have been the first to start testing. But I suppose that may depend on whether you are coming from the resorts or the airport and what time you depart. If coming from the resorts, you won't know what time your pick-up is until the evening prior.

We took the transfer from wdw and received boarding group 2. We had to be in the lobby by 7:45 to meet the dcl reps and walt for the bus. Once we boarded we picked up a few other hotels and were on our way. There seemed to be a lot of people but once we finished our tests and got into the port we still had a few minutes wait before boarding started. We ended up with maybe 10 families boarding ahead of us. So if boarding a early as possible is important your best bet is staying the night before on property.

It comes down to boarding group - so if the DCL bus gives you a higher boarding group, then you'll be on faster. With the private transfer I had a decent arrival time, but our boarding group (which I received the night I checked in) was 6, so we still had to wait an hour after we got through testing and security.
Can I ask how long testing and security took for you guys? We are sailing in March and just trying to see what people’s experiences have been. “Pack your patience” is the most common answer. LOL. TIA!!

Can I ask how long testing and security took for you guys?

We pulled up to the port at 10:45 (that's an exact time)...took about 15 min to get to the porters/drop off luggage (due to the line).
Started check in for testing right after 11...and I'd say we were in the terminal for security by 11:35. Security was super fast and we were upstairs at 11:45-ish.
They were calling groups 1-3...and then we waited until 12:35 for them to call Group 6. I know that time exactly because I was logging into Dining Services at 12:30 to change dining times and just as I finished we were called in.

We pulled up to the port at 10:45 (that's an exact time)...took about 15 min to get to the porters/drop off luggage (due to the line).
Started check in for testing right after 11...and I'd say we were in the terminal for security by 11:35. Security was super fast and we were upstairs at 11:45-ish.
They were calling groups 1-3...and then we waited until 12:35 for them to call Group 6. I know that time exactly because I was logging into Dining Services at 12:30 to change dining times and just as I finished we were called in.
Once you got thru the testing, you still check in at the desks inside?

Once you got thru the testing, you still check in at the desks inside?

Yes, they look at your passports/ID Documents and you go through the metal detectors. That part was really fast - we only waited a minute or two from when we entered the terminal to see someone.

Can I ask how long testing and security took for you guys? We are sailing in March and just trying to see what people’s experiences have been. “Pack your patience” is the most common answer. LOL. TIA!!

On the 12/26 sailing of the Fantasy we drove to the port. From luggage drop off to having our name announced as we boarded was 50 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter