Getting Out of the Cold: A January 2024 Visit To Fort Wilderness

Last day of wearables.

I like the fact that that I can have a Mickey/Bama t-shirt (shown earlier) and my most recent purchase (this past summer) was this Mickey/Bama sweatshirt. To be honest, it did feel a little strange buying a sweatshirt during prime summer season but I have learned that once the Mickey/Bama merch appears on the rack, it will quickly sell out; it is not restocked. If I see one that I like and it's in my size, I bite the bullet and pull out the wallet. But now no matter what the weather, I have the option to wear a Mickey/Bama combo.

There was a Mickey/Bama t-shirt this fall that I passed on because I didn't care for the design so don't assume I'll buy ANYTHING with Mickey/Bama on it. I have my standards after all (barely). :teeth:

I am a YUGE fan of Musket Mickey and it's a shame that the last vestiges of him are now gone from the Fort. In the past there was a lingering reminder like a garbage can with the logo or the emblem (now replaced) in the checkers table inside the Meadow Trading Post. Heck he's my avatar/symbol here on the DIS. So the last pieces are MM.

These polo shirts sell on ebay and I got one. I don't think it's vintage because I see several of them offered (all 'used') but still in decent shape. But whether they are or not, I don't care, because Musket Mickey.

One thing that I bet IS vintage is this windbreaker jacket with the old timey snaps. I think it dates back to the 1980s decade somewhere.

That's all the photos I'll share but there is more to the collection. Temps here will be in the 40s today, 30s tomorrow, 40s Sunday so I might start the trailer prep outside today. Gonna warm up to the 60s here next week but will be 80s in Orlando :cool2: if one can believe the forecast at this point.

Bama Ed

PS - not all these wearables will get taken on the trip.

Grumpy Aggie & myself loved going to the Fort in January & February. February's weather is so much better. Miss not going! Our weather for Central Texas has been horrible. Sub freeze with high winds.This past Monday we had ice & snow in Bastrop. Not fun walking a fur baby who takes her time doing her business. We had a high 60's yesterday, no wind, but not today - it is 45 feels like 38 with 18 MPH wind gusting to 28. We are receiving rain starting Sunday mid afternoon with low approx 23. Have lots of fun on. your forth coming visit to the best camp ground in the world.
PS: I hope everyone had a wonderful blessed Christmas & New Year!!

Grumpy Aggie & myself loved going to the Fort in January & February. February's weather is so much better.

Gloria, you and Arnold had the right idea. February is better weather than January but the rates start going higher than January. I'm trying this out and maybe if I can shorten the trip in the future by a few days, DW possibly could be okay with it. And we could slide it into the first week of February, for example.

I'll tell ya (without going into too much detail):

- I've had to make two repairs to the Aliner here recently against the deadline of leaving out next week and it had me stressed out.
- I'm not a handyman like many of you but I've had to learn and experiment because I've HAD to.
- RV/trailer places around me (including the one I try to patronize the most) have a yard FULL of work and they tell me they'll get to me in 6-8 weeks. But I don't have that long so I go into DIY mode.
- One issue was the support bars for my battery box in front of the propane tanks. One of the two arms (running front-to-back between the angle irons) broke off on the return from my last trip and the box had fallen back on one side against the propane cover. Glad I didn't lose the battery during the drive. I did Magiver a pretty sturdy solution (better than the original) but I tend to over-analyze a problem and come up with complicated solutions beyond my abilities. But I deferred and finally came up with a simple solution. Thank goodness for Home Depot is all I can say.
- the other problem was working against the back wall of the kitchen counter cabinets on the inside of the cabinet. Long story short, that space (with the sink downspout s-curve and water tubes) is not very big to reach into the upper corners. Plus I'm trying to squeeze my shoulders under the sink, hold a philips screwdriver, a wood screw, and a piece of the counter - 3 things with only two hands in a tight space with impediments. I said some bad words. :furious::scared1:

It seemed liked I was going around in circles but the pressure of a deadline got me straightened out.

giphy.gif

I can't wait to get to the Fort, get set up, then put my feet up and listen to the birds.

Ed

Last edited:

I like the light house pics. I have a friend in Ocala who joined a light house group that meets 4 times a year to tour Florida light houses. Even those that are closed to the public. We got to Gainesville on Jan. 3 and it was cold. I went through 2-30 lb lp tanks with the temps near 40 over night. We left yesterday morning and took the camper to Auburn to put in storage since we are coming back in about 5 weeks. We got back to the Chicago area this morning driving thru blowing snow the last 4 hours of the drive at 45mph in 4 wheel drive. About 16 inches of snow in my yard and 3 degrees. The dog doesn't like it much compared to Florida. I hope when we head south again it will be a bit warmer.

So low-beam headlight is out on the driver's side today. Throw in another stop at the auto parts store.

:dance3:

I have my original Fort Wilderness spare tire cover on the camper spare in back. That cover goes on for runs to the Fort and back only. I have an Alabama Crimson Tide cover for everything else. And the FW cover comes off into the truck while I'm at the Fort.

Gonna pre-cook some burgers and dogs tonight for the drive down to LLSP and over to the Fort.

Our only park day is Wednesday to Magic Kingdom with a back-up day of Thursday. Early forecasts had sprinkles on Wednesday which is why we worked a back-up day into the schedule. Wednesday now looks better but we don't have to make a decision yet.

But according to TouringPlans.com (which I subscribe to and believe that it works somewhat), the crowd calendar for MK on Wednesday is a 2 out of 10 (4/10 overall).

I'm excited because I've never been on a day rated that low.

That's another benefit of going this time of the year.

Serious packin' gonna happin' tomorrow.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
I've got my original spare tire cover from when I had a popup camper in my garage. It won't fit on the 18 inch wheels that are on my fifth wheel. I sure wish it did.

Love the golf t shirt !
And just to let you know it is still kinda chilly today in Celebration .

DL1WDW2,

I tried to send you a Private Message about my upcoming visit and it would not send meaning I think you may have blocked receiving PM's. It's in regards to a get-together I want to host for DIS members at my site on Saturday 1/27. If you would like to attend, please allow PM's in your DIS profile via the following: Privacy/Allow Users To/Start Conversations With You and choose "Members Only" and send me a PM at bama_ed or respond here and I will send you some info.

Thanks, Ed

PS - you too @BarbLynnM . You'll be gone by next Saturday but when I check in and post my site number on Tuesday, come by and say hello. We're probably going to be in the MK on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Okay, the "gear" is loaded.

Tables, chairs, EZ up, signs, cords, blower, tool box, puzzles, puzzle case, lights, and more. Food stuff boxed and ready to stash in the morning (going down to 25F here tonight).

Bikes loaded on the front, strapped on tight, and ratcheted down.

Hope to get away early and reach Lake Louisa SP safely.

Bama Ed

Nice of your neighbor to put the fence right along the driveway.

Good thing those MB1s are modular and you can swap the nice outer onto a generic inner band.

j

It's a neighborhood that was platted in 1928.

Not as old a neighborhood as yours, @Teamubr , but houses are close to each other but good thing is the houses on either side of me have only seasonal occupants.

So meaning they won't be in the house listening to me pack up at 5am tomorrow.

Ed

PS - the Model T was transitioning out to the Model A about that time. That explains the narrow driveways. Not made for a modern Suburban or a Yukon XL. Those are WIDE vehicles which means I have learned to back up through the eye of the needle pretty well by now. ::yes::

Last edited:
We do our 'night before' near Groveland. We usually go 33 south then east on some road* and end up on World Dr, but I'll have to check out heading over to LL and catching that Scholfield Rd on Mapquest or Google Maps and see if it would be shorter or easier.

* I'm the navigator. Don't know the name of that road, but I know when to say "turn left at the next road" lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter