Getting personal here. What Generation are you?

I love all the Gen-X memes - they are for the most part so true, no matter where you were born in the world. Other than being a latch-key kid - my Mum was always an at home Mum. She did work briefly when I was around 5-6 but it was only on Saturdays in the totes at the horse races so Dad was home with us.

DH is a Boomer. His daughters are Millennials. Our son is early Gen Z who desperately wants to pass for a Millennial. He taunts me with "OK Boomer" just to bug me and I shoot back with "yeah, OK Zoomer".
When my kids or anonymous posters on various sites try that “OK, Boomer” crap with me, I just retort “Thanks. I appreciate you acknowledging my superiority and magnificence.”

Millennial 1981 married to Gen X 1980
Kids are all Gen Z 1999, 2004, 2006

Anyone know how the date spans are determined?
I feel like they take some time to solidify the dates and not all agree so it's definitely not just set date ranges (like every 15 years). I think culture changes or events are taken into account when choosing where/how to divide up the years.

I'm what's known as a zillennial. Born in '99 so right on the cusp of millennial and Gen Z
Yes, I've seen the term zillennial for your cusp group and Xennial for mine (Gen X/millennial).

I'm fairly certain '99 used to be considered millennial, but now most list the cutoff as '96. (There were a few years where both me and my oldest child fell into the millennial category, so we used to joke about it.)

I know the start date for millennial has varied between 1980-1984 (so I have gone back and forth on whether I was considered Gen X or millennial), but now seems to have settled at '81.

Older Gen X here. Was definitely a latch key kid, and figured out how to break into the house when I forgot my key.

I was also the remote control for my dad (and the antenna adjuster!), the answering machine/call screener for my mom, and the snooze alarm for my older sister. I remember phones before answering machines or call waiting, back when local dialing meant only seven digits, and long distance calls were expensive. Oh, and the phones were attached to the wall, and every so often you just let the handset dangle from the cord to let it untwist. Computers were not household items when I was growing up so I’m actually a little too old for Oregon Trail (discovered that gem in my 30’s.) But, we did have Pong! And suffered through the impossible to finish ET game on my friend’s Atari.

When my parents divorced it was shocking to all my friends, and then a few years later it was more common.

I was 30 before I had my own email address. Unlike my silent generation mom and barely boomer older sister, I was super slow to adopt cell phones (and later smart phones.) I really resented the idea that people would think they could reach me any time or any place, and I didn’t want to cuss out people if they had the unmitigated gall to berate me if I didn’t answer. (I still let calls go to voicemail if I don’t feel like talking.)

These days I find myself eye-rolling at all of the self-diagnosis being done by some people in the younger generations. On my watch, that means you should be MORE culpable for your behavior, not less. And once you’re in your 30’s , maybe you should cultivate some life skills beyond blaming your parents and everyone else for your life choices. Some days it’s a struggle not to say , “Suck it up, buttercup.”!

I’m on the cusp of millennial and gen x. Very late 1980, “almost 81” I always say lol. Some charts start millennials at 1980, some at 81. So, depends on the chart.

When my kids or anonymous posters on various sites try that “OK, Boomer” crap with me, I just retort “Thanks. I appreciate you acknowledging my superiority and magnificence.”
I'm a Millennial and I even hate that stupid response. People really think they're doing something when they say it, only for it to make them appear as a complete moron.

Similar to calling any female a "Karen", even in legitimately upsetting or concerning circumstances. Just a way to give a false sense of separation...a "me versus you" if you will. If I call you xyz, it makes me feel superior and therefore I win. Just stupid. Okay, rant over lol

Gen X married to Gen X both 1968. Boomer parents. Oldest DD is a Zillennial (‘96) and two youngest are Gen Z (‘05).
:rotfl2:Hilarious!! I'm Gen X too but my parents were The Greatest Generation, so I had a doting SAHM. I would have been green over your freedom! :teeth:

DH is a Boomer. His daughters are Millennials. Our son is early Gen Z who desperately wants to pass for a Millennial. He taunts me with "OK Boomer" just to bug me and I shoot back with "yeah, OK Zoomer".
My older DD absolutely bristles if I refer to her as Gen Z, lol. To be fair, she’s right on the cusp and went to school with the youngest Millennials but sometimes it’s fun to poke at her, it’s the Gen X in me. 🤣 On the flip I have two younger brothers who are Xennials who desperately want to identify as Gen X but…no, they are definitely not.

Gen X (1971) as is husband. My siblings are all boomers and the difference in ways we grew up and what we had or knew is pretty indicative of why the generational divides are placed approximately where they are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter