Getting very frustrated

DeeCee735

"How Do You Know of the Key?"
I have a reservation at the BW for Nov 8th - 3 nights. It's one of my home resorts and I booked two studios (to save points) at the 11th month mark. A few weeks later, I called back to change to a 2 bedroom, now have 5 women instead of 4 and wanted the space. 2 bedrooms are gone at 10 months out! So I took what I could get, which is a 1 bedroom preferred view (wanted the standard, didn't have any more) and 1 studio, standard view.

Okay, I'm good, except for the fact that I had to take what I could get instead of what I wanted, I'm settling and this is at 10 months out - that's the kicker, but I'm not upset, it's cool. Then the flights just came out. The flight from MCO to JFK on that Sunday is astronomically expensive. Not paying it.

So I call back to see if I can move my rooms to the 9th -12th. NOTHING is available in a 2 bedroom or a studio anywhere, and there's only ONE 1 bedroom left in the whole place. It's still not even at the 7th month window. How can this happen if it's home resort owners only? It's ridiculous that I can't get what I need for the dates I need them as a home resort owner at over 8 months out!

It was not like this a few years back, it's getting insane that home resort owners can't book their own places before the 7 month mark for the dates they need. I understand that it's the last weekend of the F&W festival, but I can't book anywhere else until the 7th month mark and there's no assurance I'll get that then either. I've been (as we all have) sinking a ton of money into Disney vacations (I understand that's by choice) but this is just really starting to tick me off.

We also own at AKV, but those points have been used for next February, I booked that at the 11th month mark as well and I don't want to even consider messing with those points, cause I'm afraid if I look to change it closer in, the same thing will happen with that availabilty too!

Am I being ridiculous in my feelings of frustration, that as a home resort owner before the 7 month mark, I can't get what I need. I never thought it would get so difficult to change a reservation before the 7 month mark, it's getting out of hand, I wish there was a way to fix this for home resort owners. Having to "deal with it" or settle for less that what I go for so far out at my own home resort just doesn't seem right to me. It's why we bought what we bought where we bought and now it just feels like that means nothing. :confused3

I understand your frustration but don't fret you are going to Disney.. F&W is a very busy time at BW and BC....I would watilist for what you want, it is still early and I am sure there are BW owners who will want to move once the 7 month mark comes up (especially since Vets weekend is the 1st Xmas Party)... just get on the WL early for the best possible outcome! Good luck!!

I have a reservation at the BW for Nov 8th - 3 nights. It's one of my home resorts and I booked two studios (to save points) at the 11th month mark. A few weeks later, I called back to change to a 2 bedroom, now have 5 women instead of 4 and wanted the space. 2 bedrooms are gone at 10 months out! So I took what I could get, which is a 1 bedroom preferred view (wanted the standard, didn't have any more) and 1 studio, standard view.

Okay, I'm good, except for the fact that I had to take what I could get instead of what I wanted, I'm settling and this is at 10 months out - that's the kicker, but I'm not upset, it's cool. Then the flights just came out. The flight from MCO to JFK on that Sunday is astronomically expensive. Not paying it.

So I call back to see if I can move my rooms to the 9th -12th. NOTHING is available in a 2 bedroom or a studio anywhere, and there's only ONE 1 bedroom left in the whole place. It's still not even at the 7th month window. How can this happen if it's home resort owners only? It's ridiculous that I can't get what I need for the dates I need them as a home resort owner at over 8 months out!

It was not like this a few years back, it's getting insane that home resort owners can't book their own places before the 7 month mark for the dates they need. I understand that it's the last weekend of the F&W festival, but I can't book anywhere else until the 7th month mark and there's no assurance I'll get that then either. I've been (as we all have) sinking a ton of money into Disney vacations (I understand that's by choice) but this is just really starting to tick me off.

We also own at AKV, but those points have been used for next February, I booked that at the 11th month mark as well and I don't want to even consider messing with those points, cause I'm afraid if I look to change it closer in, the same thing will happen with that availabilty too!

Am I being ridiculous in my feelings of frustration, that as a home resort owner before the 7 month mark, I can't get what I need. I never thought it would get so difficult to change a reservation before the 7 month mark, it's getting out of hand, I wish there was a way to fix this for home resort owners. Having to "deal with it" or settle for less that what I go for so far out at my own home resort just doesn't seem right to me. It's why we bought what we bought where we bought and now it just feels like that means nothing. :confused3

That's the last weekend of the Food & Wine Festival, end of Jersey week, Veterans Day weekend, beginning of the Christmas parties. Other BWV owners beat you to it, it's as simple as that. Can you change your dates?

Well....

It appears that you may even have ONE of the clues to your frustration...

Why are the flights so high? Because everyone in Jersey (near you) is on vacation too. :)

So they booked at 11 months and you are late.

I agree with everyone else. Waitlist, chances are it will clear if you don't only waitlist for "standard view" (which will be a rougher waitlist clearance)

How would you fix this? Other "home owners" don't get to book until after you do? Seriously, the only way to "fix" it would be to buy a membership with fixed weeks. Then you KNOW you get week X every year and you don't have to worry about booking windows.

That's the last weekend of the Food & Wine Festival, end of Jersey week, Veterans Day weekend, beginning of the Christmas parties. Other BWV owners beat you to it, it's as simple as that. Can you change your dates?

Exactly....all of the above. :thumbsup2

Disney isn't pulling any funny business...demand is what it is. Other members have booked all of the rooms, plain and simple.

One of the contributing factors is the low points for that period. Despite it being F&W fest, Jersey Week, etc, it's still in the second-lowest of the five DVC point seasons.

Point costs for many fall dates are long overdue for adjustment (increase) IMO. That is the simplest way to help balance demand. When rooms are priced too low during a naturally appealing time to visit, there will be an abnormally high percentage of 11 month reservations.

Good luck.

I'm not surprised. I'm a BWV owner and I had to waitlist one week after the 11 month window openned to get a standard studio (Oct. 20-27) and now the 7 month window is here and it hasn't come through. I thought I might have a shot at the 7 month window when other owners started moving their reservations. I'm not really shocked that I didn't get the room I wanted for my DD and her family at 1 week after the 11 month window openned. This is why I own there because I know it's hard. In the meanwhile, my DD is not positive she's coming, but I still have my waitlist for the standard studio, though it probably won't come through, but am afraid to cancel it because she may change her mind.

I wish there was a way to fix this for home resort owners.

Can you think of any way to fix it? With a points based system like DVC, there is the risk that an inordinate number of members will be trying to book at the same time. This is why some timeshare owners prefer a fixed week system over a points system.

I think your chances of getting something when the 7-month window opens are actually quite good, especially if you are only looking for three nights. It might not be at BWV, but you might get a two-bedroom at SSR or OKW.

Hope it works out for you!

I'd WL for those nights and then if they don't come through get something at the 7 month mark. You can then decide on whether to keep your WL or go to a different resort after booking at the 7 month mark.

I think you've seen a perfect example when many owners at the same resort decide to go there on the same dates. The points for each resort are sold for use year round. But instead members try to book the same dates. I imagine it happens for Thanksgiving, Christmas, NYE and the first 10 days of December too. They are just very popular dates for DVC members.

I agree with all of it, I get the reasons, the demand, the people booking early. But, I'm one of the people who booked early 11 months to the date.

The old way of booking was that you could book 11 months prior to the date of check out. That's how I would "fix" it. I'd go back to that. This way, now, one will call and find that one date out of their time is available, that's not availability at all, it's a lack of. Again I understand all of it, but I also feel that instead of Disney making it more flexible by changing the way one can book, (being 11 months prior to date of check in now), they make it a more inflexible system.

Things happen in life and locking into a "absolutely most go or cancel" committment 11 months before a date is not realistic. My dates have become my dates due to work and committment of my guests as well, work is understandably inflexible sometimes, vacation shouldn't be.

Waitlisting has been a complete waste of my time over the last 12 years, I've never ever gotten a waitlist to come through. And, I can't have 4 other women book flights based on a waitlist that might not come through.

By the way, the flights just came out yesterday, I looked to book yesterday at 1 pm. They started out of hand, its not that we're "late" looking into flights, or booking early at DVC.

I don't know what to do, if I don't get my other home resort (which I can only book at the 7 month window, since my points there are committed for the family trip in February), I have to cancel the entire reunion for this November. That's ridiculous. It takes an awful lot to get 5 working mothers to be able to put together 3 of the same nights to spend together. Us being flexible, to me, is backwards. JMHO right now, I'm just frustrated. I'll get over it, cancel the trip if I have to.:confused:

I agree with all of it, I get the reasons, the demand, the people booking early. But, I'm one of the people who booked early 11 months to the date.

The old way of booking was that you could book 11 months prior to the date of check out. That's how I would "fix" it. I'd go back to that. This way, now, one will call and find that one date out of their time is available, that's not availability at all, it's a lack of. Again I understand all of it, but I also feel that instead of Disney making it more flexible by changing the way one can book, (being 11 months prior to date of check in now), they make it a more inflexible system.

Things happen in life and locking into a "absolutely most go or cancel" committment 11 months before a date is not realistic. My dates have become my dates due to work and committment of my guests as well, work is understandably inflexible sometimes, vacation shouldn't be.

Waitlisting has been a complete waste of my time over the last 12 years, I've never ever gotten a waitlist to come through. And, I can't have 4 other women book flights based on a waitlist that might not come through.

By the way, the flights just came out yesterday, I looked to book yesterday at 1 pm. They started out of hand, its not that we're "late" looking into flights, or booking early at DVC.

I don't know what to do, if I don't get my other home resort (which I can only book at the 7 month window, since my points there are committed for the family trip in February), I have to cancel the entire reunion for this November. That's ridiculous. It takes an awful lot to get 5 working mothers to be able to put together 3 of the same nights to spend together. Us being flexible, to me, is backwards. JMHO right now, I'm just frustrated. I'll get over it, cancel the trip if I have to.:confused:

Didn't you get what you wanted at 11 months? 2 studios? It's when you wanted to change it at 10 months that you could not get what you wanted? How would going back to 11 months from checkout date help you there? It's a popular weekend that got booked up early. I could see being upset if you couldn't get what you wanted at 11 months but it sounded like you did.

I guess instead of cancel the entire trip, I would keep what you have, book flights, and waitlist. I would also make a cash reservation somewhere for that last night - onsite, offsite, whatever the budget allows. If you can make a 7-month reservation, then there's no harm. If you get your waitlist, no harm. If you can't get either, then you have a backup. A cash reservation will allow for cancellations (at least through Disney) up to a very close date to your trip, so you'd at least have options.

Good luck!

Didn't you get what you wanted at 11 months? 2 studios? It's when you wanted to change it at 10 months that you could not get what you wanted? How would going back to 11 months from checkout date help you there? It's a popular weekend that got booked up early. I could see being upset if you couldn't get what you wanted at 11 months but it sounded like you did.

I don't get it, either. OP got what she wanted at 11 months, had to compromise a bit at 10 months and is now trying to make another change 7.5 months out.

The booking system could be partially to blame if the 11 month booking wasn't available. But at 10 months and 7.5 months even those calling day-by-day under the old system would have filled the rooms.

I'm sorry your having trouble booking BWV after your dates changed....others have pointed out why.....I would think/hope there would be availibility at the 7 month mark somewhere...AKV, OKW, SSR so you can have your reunion with your friends

WL the night you want, if it comes, you'll be happy, if not make a cash reservation as someone else suggested. Maybe at the Universal resort, Hotels are very nice and the parks have some very nice attractions. Then move to BWL for the rest of your stay.
Many people reported that they've been more lucky with WL lately. I think it's due to the new reservation tool, it helps people to switch reservation and free rooms for others.

I just checked the online reservation system and a BWV two-bedroom garden/pool view villa is available for 9/10-9/17/2012. There is also a two-bedroom Boardwalk View villa available for 9/10-9/14/2012.

I know these aren't the dates that the OP is looking at, but it shows that availability is based on demand. There is more demand for BWV villas in November when the OP wants to travel, and less demand than in September.

I also checked AKV for a two-bedroom villa for 11/7-11/11, which coincides with a trip I already have booked. There were both Savanna View and Standard View two-bedroom villas available at this time for those dates.

I'm still optimistic that the OP will have luck finding a two-bedroom somewhere at WDW for her travel dates.

Thank you for all of your replies and your suggestions. If it was a 5 night or longer trip, I'd waitlist and book a cash reservation, but with only a 3 night trip and 5 women travelling I don't want the disruption, it's too much for the last out of three nights. I decided to cancel the trip.

At the 7 month mark I'm going to see if I can get Friday to Monday or Saturday to Tuesday at BW or at a different resort . The flights are approximately $500 give or take a few dollars, RT for my current dataes and that's too much for just a weekend trip. So I'll see what I can do.

I did put a call into all of my cousins to see if there is any possible way all 5 of us will be able to go the weekend before or something like that. And I did call MS three different times to see if I can adjust my other trips next year to move around the points so that I can book my other home resort at AKV using AKV points, but as it turns out, I'd still have to borrow to have enough AKV points for this trip with my cousins and I already borrowed to be at the BW so at this point I'm not willing to do that.

In all the 12 years we own I've never ever had a problem moving reservations around, even 3 months before travelling. I guess it's a true sign of how much demand and the membership has grown in the recent past. I've gone this particular weekend in the past, and changed it a few months before with no problem, I guess it was just my turn to have trouble with it or something:confused3

Anyway, as I stated in my earlier post, I know all the reasons make total sense, I was just so frustrated I wasn't in a good mood:scared1:

I'm over it, if it's meant to happen it will, if not, I'll be sorry to disappoint so many people, but what are ya gonna do??? Just will be what will be....

YIKES! I'm not going to get what I want at the 7 month mark then! My husband and I as well as my parents joined DVC last year we chose SSR as our home as BLT was a tad expensive. My mum has her heart set on BW or BC so we were getting ready to book at the 7 month mark. I remember from last year the large numbers of people from Jersey! I thought this might be a problem for the dates we want. (A studio for 5th Nov-9th and then 2x 2 bedroom from 9th-16th) I also noted the F&W as well as the epcot marathon that weekend so knew it would be tight but I'm clearly not going to get anything!! Does anyone know what availability is like once the F&W is over?? was wondering if we should just go to SSR for the first stint then try for epcot resorts from the monday 12th Nov???

If it helps you though I have looked at SSR and there is loads of availability for your dates. I know its not in that great Epcot area but if it means you get to have your holiday together its a thought.

YIKES! I'm not going to get what I want at the 7 month mark then! My husband and I as well as my parents joined DVC last year we chose SSR as our home as BLT was a tad expensive. My mum has her heart set on BW or BC so we were getting ready to book at the 7 month mark. I remember from last year the large numbers of people from Jersey! I thought this might be a problem for the dates we want. (A studio for 5th Nov-9th and then 2x 2 bedroom from 9th-16th) I also noted the F&W as well as the epcot marathon that weekend so knew it would be tight but I'm clearly not going to get anything!! Does anyone know what availability is like once the F&W is over?? was wondering if we should just go to SSR for the first stint then try for epcot resorts from the monday 12th Nov???

If it helps you though I have looked at SSR and there is loads of availability for your dates. I know its not in that great Epcot area but if it means you get to have your holiday together its a thought.

I do think you will have a hard time at the 7 month trying to get into the BW or BC for those dates, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. If I were you, I'd book my home resort and waitlist for BW or BC.

That being said, after the situation I found myself in, I spoke to all my cousins last night and we all decided that we will shoot for the weekend before our original dates, which is the first weekend in November. I was ready to have to wait til April 1st - the 7th month mark for my dates, to get into any resort on property, which is definitely not preferable.

However, after cancelling the trip for the 8th-11th online, I took a look at the online booking for the first weekend in November and low and behold!!! it was available. I grabbed a two bedroom garden/pool view at the BW for our new dates! Woo hooo! Guess this is the way it's supposed to work out!

Good luck and don't give up. While we had to change our dates, at least I'm where I want to be with whom I want to be!

I do think you will have a hard time at the 7 month trying to get into the BW or BC for those dates, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. If I were you, I'd book my home resort and waitlist for BW or BC.

That being said, after the situation I found myself in, I spoke to all my cousins last night and we all decided that we will shoot for the weekend before our original dates, which is the first weekend in November. I was ready to have to wait til April 1st - the 7th month mark for my dates, to get into any resort on property, which is definitely not preferable.

However, after cancelling the trip for the 8th-11th online, I took a look at the online booking for the first weekend in November and low and behold!!! it was available. I grabbed a two bedroom garden/pool view at the BW for our new dates! Woo hooo! Guess this is the way it's supposed to work out!

Good luck and don't give up. While we had to change our dates, at least I'm where I want to be with whom I want to be!

Fantastic!:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter