GF/MK Walkway Questions

Little E

DIS Veteran
Hi Disfriends!

I just received an email from WDW letting me know about the closure of the walkway between GF and MK during our end of March trip, and I'm trying not to be bummed. I know we'll have a wonderful trip, but part of what I was looking forward to on our welcome home trip was being able to walk to and from MK from our villa.

On my January 2023 trip, it was so nice to walk to GF from MK; we stayed at Pop, but had dinner reservations at GF Cafe, and it was nice to just duck out of MK and not have to wait in any lines to get to GF.

Does anyone know how long the walkway will be closed? And, I assume our options to get to and from MK are either the monorail or the boat? Is there another method of transportation between GF and MK that I'm not thinking of?

TIA!

Does anyone know how long the walkway will be closed?

Presumably, Disney does. All their announcement said was "late spring." In Disney-speak, that could mean early August.

The rest of us will know when the reopening news is posted here, I'm betting. :-)
And, I assume our options to get to and from MK are either the monorail or the boat?

Yup, that's pretty much it.
Is there another method of transportation between GF and MK that I'm not thinking of?

Not that I know of unless you want to book a Minnie Van, cab, or rideshare.

It’s a bummer but you’ll have a great trip. Personally I would monorail the way there and boat the way back. You’ll be the first stop both ways. I find the transportation so efficient here that I rarely walk (unlike when I stay in the Boardwalk area and I always walk to the parks).

I'd boat both ways, much though I like the monorail generally. It's so relaxing to have the small boat breezes cooling you off. Not so much, I don't think, when sitting outside at the front of the larger one. Guess I just like the small boat more.

Good idea the pp had to boat back to the GF from MK. The trip aaaalll around the resort loop back to the GF from MK can get wearing after you do a few. Although, I've gotta admit I still get a thrill when the monorail pulls INSIDE the CR Tower. 😀 Almost makes that round the loop trip worthwhile.

I survived several stays at the GF before there was a walk, so it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me, but I really liked that walk when we were there 2 months ago.
I can’t figure out why they need to close it though. The resort refurb right now is focused on Sugar Loaf Key & Narcoossees, next up would be Sago Key which I’d think they could route people around like they’re doing to the Marina right now? Even when they start work on the lobby I’d think they could find a way to connect the path so people can use it.

My family prefers to walk, because in the morning the monorail is usually packed and the boat going to and from MK can be hit or miss. That being said we usually don't see a lot of people walking on it, so hopefully it doesn't add a lot more people to the other forms of transportation.

I survived several stays at the GF before there was a walk, so it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me, but I really liked that walk when we were there 2 months ago.
I can’t figure out why they need to close it though. The resort refurb right now is focused on Sugar Loaf Key & Narcoossees, next up would be Sago Key which I’d think they could route people around like they’re doing to the Marina right now? Even when they start work on the lobby I’d think they could find a way to connect the path so people can use it.
Just guessing, but I think it probably has to do with construction vehicle traffic and the materials staging in the area just over the small bridge at the beginning of the walkway.

I don't know, but I received that same email and my VGF reservation isn't until September. Hoping it doesn't take that long!

Thanks, everyone! It's good to know that misery loves company! :love:

And, thank you @Minniemoo15 for your tips about monorail-ing to MK there and boating back to GF; I like that we'd be the first stop both ways. That's what we'll plan on doing!

I am booked for the last week of April and have received the letter stating it will be closed.

Just guessing, but I think it probably has to do with construction vehicle traffic and the materials staging in the area just over the small bridge at the beginning of the walkway.
We are arriving mid June and received note telling us it may be closed due to construction. I asked someone who works near GF and they say that the construction of the new Poly villa area is cleared out and the equipment may hinder walking. I don’t understand how that is affecting anything. Would love to know exactly what the warning is about.

We are arriving mid June and received note telling us it may be closed due to construction. I asked someone who works near GF and they say that the construction of the new Poly villa area is cleared out and the equipment may hinder walking. I don’t understand how that is affecting anything. Would love to know exactly what the warning is about.
Same here - except we’re going in Sept…an email stating that the GF/MK walkway MAY be closed…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter