GF or WL? Which one, which one?

Griggle

Mouseketeer
I don't know why we're being so indecisive about this choice...and we're leaving for our 4 land/3 sea trip in 5 weeks....

We've stayed at the GF, but never at the WL.....right now we're booked at the WL, but DH keeps hearing from "some people" that transportation from WL is not that convenient....and, because of nap times, we'll be going back a forth a bit....

And, on top of that, I know what probably is also throwing him off is getting on and off the buses with the (big) stroller for DS, 20 months (umbrella stroller for this child not even a consideration :) )...I think he'd rather just deal with the monorail lines and connection changes....

I've also suggested BC to him to be able to walk to Epcot and MGM, but know absolutely no one who has been there.....

I'm really at a loss of what to do....:confused: ....and it's taking the steam out of my sails.....any advice would be appreciated....

Griggle...it depends on which parks are most important to you. If your planning to spend alot of time at epoct and MGM then the BC/YC is wonderful!!! If you plan on using the pools they have the BEST (IMHO)
If MK is your park of choice along with epoct... stay at GF...but the WL does have a boat launch to MK which is pretty stressless...esp if you are using it in the afternoon, when most are already at the park.
Hope this helps a little
Tracy

I did notice that when we stayed at WL a couple of weeks ago whenever we took the bus it would stop at GF after picking us up at WL.. This was true when we went to AK or Typhoon Lagoon or MGM. The GF people ALWAYS had to stand on the bus because it was already full of those of us from the WL. To be honest we joked about the people that spent so much at GF and had to stand up every time. We thought the transportation at WL was great. Maybe not as easy as the monorail but not much worse. The WL boat to MK works great and is fun too.

Well I am biased to WL since we stayed there this past Nov. I don't think I will ever stay at another place. To me GF isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Over priced as far as I'm concerned, plus a little stuffy.
If you plan on spending a lot of your time at MK, WL is sooo easy. The boat launch is a nice little trip that takes you right to the front gate. Also, It's not bad to get to Epcot, if you don't want to use the busses, just take the boat to MK and hop on the monorail. Anyway, the transportation at WL isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.
BC is nice too and wouldn't be bad if you plan on Epcot most of your trip.

I noticed this about the buses also. It was quite ironic really.

Find the boat completely hassle free, and to be honest we did use the monorail a couple of times and coming back from Epcot to go to the CR was an absolute nightmare - we had to wait on the MK Resort monorail being serviced and we missed our priority seating. It must have taken nearly 50 minutes to get to CR that night - and the monorail wasn't even busy.

So, that put me off the 'convenience' of the monorail.

#1MMFan :bounce:

I would suggest the Beach Club or Yacht club and here's why:

If you are like us, you take a mid-day break for your little one's down time. At the BC , you would have to take a bus to AK or MK. If you go to MGM or Epcot in the evenings, you can just walk there and back (for Epcot) or take the boat (for MGM). This woudl be a more relaxing way to end the day, than gettign a bus or taking two monorails.

I don't think the transportation is much different between the GF and the WL. When we stay at the GF we always take the boat to MK anyway because the monorail is a pain in the butt. The main reason I love the GF is for the VIEWS!!!! :) The castle from Conch Key is unbeatable.

The main reason we never stay at the WL is because our home is in a wooded area and we are sick of it. ;) We want palm trees when we go on vacation. :smooth:

"but DH keeps hearing from "some people" that transportation from WL is not that convenient....and, because of nap times, we'll be going back a forth a bit...."

I have to put in my 2cents for the Y&BC. We have stayed in the GF and WL. Loved Grand Floridian, WL was OK. That said Y&BC was very convenient to alot. We had my 20 month old Grandaugher at WLV and it wasn't easy using the transportation. Boats were very inconsisent when we were there(one night took an hour to get from MK-WLV) and buses took a while to get anywhere (we ended up using cabs)Boats at Y&BC were muche easier to deal with (roll on, roll off) and air conditioned!!

Well, to me the 2 resorts are like comparing apples and oranges.

Grand Floridian is very light and airy, with a feminine and summery feel. It is on the monorail, has a new pool, and a view of the Magic Kingdom. It also boasts of some of the best restauarnts on property. The average room at GF is 440 sq feet.

Wilderness Lodge is dark, woodsy with a more masculine feel. The transportation consists of boat and bus (not always very convenient). The pool is beautiful, and the guyser is an added plus. We aren't as fond of the restaurants at WL as we are of those at GF, and of course unless you are in one of the rooms on the woods side toward the very top, you will have no view of the MK. The average room at WL is 340 sq ft, and we felt a bit cramped with the 2 queen beds.

Both have beautiful lobbies, beautiful archetecture, gorgeous grounds and a wonderful cast.

I think it really depends on what you like. If the WL appeals to you, then try it out. If you like it, then great! If not, you are only going to be there a few days. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

We find the transportation from the WL to MK to be great using the boat. We have stayed at the GF and found it to be quite stuffy. We like to sit in the lobby of the WL, but would never do this at GF.

I am also not interested in the BC/YC walk back from Epcot or MGM after a long day. Get me on a bus or boat!

Lizzie

I would agree with LizzieMom. Have also sat in the GF lobby and felt that, although very fancy and clean, it lacked something - perhaps a lack of people at the time. Also didn't find the CMs so friendly.

Although I'd visit the Epcot resorts, and I LOVE Epcot, I still feel that the resorts are all crowded together. JMHO

#1MMFan :bounce:

We just stayed at the GF in January. We thought it was nice, but we won't stay there again. The WL we are staying at in 3 days - I will let you know how the transportation is when we return.

Now the Epcot area resorts we love!! We have a 2 year old and it was great being able to push the stroller right onto the boats or walking to either MGM or Epcot. The bus service there was great also.

Now you said you have a big stroller. I bought a lightweight stroller just for our vacations. It cost about $39 and it is almost as nice as my big one. I got mine at Toys R Us. It reclines, has a food tray for baby and cup holders for mom, has a canopy with window in it for viewing, has a full basket underneath and the best thing of all - it only weighs 10 pounds and is not near as bulky as my big one. Not bad at all getting on & off the bus.

Good luck with your choice!!

Originally posted by Lizziemom
I am also not interested in the BC/YC walk back from Epcot or MGM after a long day. Get me on a bus or boat!

Lizzie

Just out of curiosity, have you ever actually made the walk from Epcot to the Beach Club? The walk from the International Gateway to the Beach Club is just as short, possibly shorter, as the walk from Spaceship Earth to the bus stops at Epcot's front entrance. As long as you plan your day at Epcot to end at the International Gateway, you would have just as short a walk to the hotel as you would to the bus stop, but never have to get on a bus!

I'm not pushing for the BC/YC, because I think the WL and GF are both wonderful resorts. I just wanted to clear up the misconception that the walk from Epcot to the BC/YC was a long one. It's not long at all. 3-5 minutes max.

I would definetly go with the GF. The interior is nicer in my opinion, wonderful lobby, the CM's are great, the food is wonderful, new pool, the views are splendid, the property is wonderful. Although I would say that WL is probably 3rd on my list, the food isn't as good, the views are alright etc. I would stay at the GF, I have stayed at both and would go back to the GF anyday over the WL.

In order of preference,

1) Beach Club
2) Yacht Club
3) Grand Floridian
4) Boardwalk
5) Wilderness Lodge

Since we like the Swan or Dolphin (I didn't see them on your list), they would be 5 and 6 and WL would be 7th.

Thank you everyone so much for all the input...more to drive DH crazy with.....his own fault - I made one hotel mistake our whole marriage and I still haven't lived it down...:p

Lexxiefern - we do have a nice lightweight fold up to nothing stroller that we bought when we went to WDW with DS#1 his first trip and he and the stroller were a dream...unfortunately, DS#2 (totally different child) absolutely hates the unstructuredness (word?) of that stroller and is an absolute bear in it...so, for everyone's sanity - we're hauling along the big one....*sigh* thank godness he's cute....:rolleyes: LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter