• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ghirardelli's Ice Cream in Disney Springs. How good is it?

Just so the allergy people know, we asked at Ghiradelli and were told they do not and will not take any precautions against cross contamination (changing gloves, using clean utensils, taking ice cream from a new tub, etc).

While we were sad not to be able to have a sundae because we were unwilling to take the risk, we appreciated the fact that they made their position clear (and the CM did so very politely).

In my opinion Jeni's has better ice cream in the gourmet flavor sense. Ghirardelli rocks the sundae though! I don't consider them to be in the same field of ice cream.

My family loves to traditionally go to Ghirardelli while on our trip. I agree with the other poster that said that there is not enough space, that tables are too small, and the lines are too long but still we go. 🤣 My kids ask each time. I like the sea salt caramel sundae.

Personally I love Ghirardelli's especially their chocolates. They used to give out free samples and we wouldn't pass by without getting one. Not sure how that is during Covid,

As for the ice cream, I am an ice cream nut and I always skip dessert at DS restaurants and head to Ghirardelli's instead.

Thanks for all this guys! I'll probably try Ghirardelli's and see. My favorite ice cream flavor is chocolate actually, and I do not eat any other ice cream flavor. I am basic though and am not a sundae fan at all, but LOVE good chocolate ice cream.

On my next trip to Disney World in a few months, I am thinking of making a trip to Disney Springs, and was wondering how good Ghirardelli's Ice Cream is? I'm a huge ice cream lover and can be a snob at times, and was wondering if I should try it. One ice cream place I really like is Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream and go there regularly and it's sooo good. How would you compare Ghirardelli's to Jeni's? I did hear that Ghirardelli's is better than Jeni's by a few people; would you say so?
It’s not the ice cream. It’s the chocolate. I love their sundaes, but it’s just Edys ice cream.

Before Vivoli il Gelato opened in Disney Springs, Ghirardelli was the family favorite - and we are not chocolate lovers.

Ghirardelli is a chocolate company and while many of the premium flavors are from a mass producer, many of the flavors are specially formulated for Ghirardelli.

Their whipped cream is fantastic!

I always order a side cup of their whipping cream ! I have never paid attention to the price…I just want it!

Last edited:
Be prepared for a long line, difficulty finding a seat and tiny tables. With that said, it’s our tradition to always go.
We were there this past Thursday and they were using a virtual queue because it was busy, which was nice. You scanned the bar code and then your phone screen turned green when it was your turn. It also updated with how many people were ahead of you in 'line.' The wait only ended up being about 15 minutes.

Ok….what is it then? Enquiring kinda want to know.

I recall many years ago that Ghirardelli used Edy's Grand chocolate ice cream (I saw them replace a tub) and they were using Hershey's hot fudge. I asked about it but the employee didn't know why they didn't use their own brand. I know these days (I was there about a month ago) they were using their own brand of hot fudge (saw them replace it) and the ice cream tased differnt from Edy's. Not better or worse, just different. I do know that Disney uses Edy's Grand around the entire property like at B&C and on Main St in MK.

I went and tried Ghirardelli's and I gotta say the ice cream was amazing. Their chocolate ice cream is definitely NOT Edy's, and they make that homemade. I don't know about the rest of the flavors, but I only eat chocolate ice cream anyways. Are you sure the rest of the flavors is just Edy's Ice Cream?

The Ice Cream is ok nothing that I would say is over the top.....Ample Hills Creamery that used to be at the Boardwalk was so much better... Don't understand why thats no longer there

We are die hard Ghirardelli fans…as we moved across the country we drove into downtown Chicago on our anniversary just so we could have a Sundae. $19 for 15 mins of parking, plus $43 for 3 Sundae’s (our DS was with us) and it was totally worth it. As Canadians, Ghirardelli is a rarity, so any chance we have to get their Sundaes we take. As other’s have mentioned, the whipped cream and hot fudge sauce are what make the sundae. I’m a big ice cream lover and can’t say anything bad about the actual ice cream, but it’s about so much more than just the ice cream. Ghirardelli is a must do for every trip; go, I don’t think you’ll regret it!

The Ice Cream is ok nothing that I would say is over the top.....Ample Hills Creamery that used to be at the Boardwalk was so much better... Don't understand why thats no longer there

Because their business model failed them.

The ice cream wasn't that good either, IMO.

I went and tried Ghirardelli's and I gotta say the ice cream was amazing. Their chocolate ice cream is definitely NOT Edy's, and they make that homemade. I don't know about the rest of the flavors, but I only eat chocolate ice cream anyways. Are you sure the rest of the flavors is just Edy's Ice Cream?

I have to imagine it might be manufactured by Edys/Dreyers, but they use a different recipe than you and I purchase in the store. Their ice cream is far more dense and rich than the lightweight junk sold at the supermarket.

At home, I only buy Häagen-Dazs or Ben and Jerry's. We get Ghirardelli all the time and their ice cream is on par with those. I never buy Dreyers anymore because it's mostly air.

This used to be our go-to place at DS, but after terrible service and a subpar sundae on our last trip, we won't be going back for a while. Gideon's Bakehouse is my new dessert place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter