• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Gideon's Bakehouse - what's the fuss about?

thegash35

Mouseketeer
Maybe it is because we have been saturated with the "big cookie" craze in NYC for years now with places like Levain Bakery, Chip, etc., but we tried Gideon's yesterday and were underwhelmed.

On Monday night it was a 2 hour plus wait with their virtual queue, so we passed. We were at Disney Springs again yesterday around 4 and decided to pick up some cookies since the wait was only 20 minutes.

This place seems like a clear example of quantity and Instagram visual appeal over quality. The cookies were all dry and crumbly - not the texture at all from a cookie like this (and from others that I've had). Maybe this is a result of needing to keep up with huge demand at Disney Springs, or maybe it is just how they are. In any event, I would not really go out of my way to recommend this place to others, especially not for a multiple hour wait. It was fine, but definitely a let down after all the hype about this place.

I have to agree with you on this... Dry and Crumbly!!!!

My DH is a cookie guy, and he was like whats all the fuss about, we waited in line for this. For him it was a complete fail... and I agree.

There are much better offerings for dessert and sweets at Disney Springs, worth the time and money you spend...

Interesting. I didn't find them dry and crumbly. I found them to be the equivalent of eating a baseball sized hunk of raw cookie dough...and not enjoyable.

I'd like to try the cakes, but apart from that, no need to wait again for these. There are FAR better options for sweets in DS, and far better actual cookies to be had.

I didn't find them dry and crumbly in the slightest. We had them from both the Ivanhoe Village and Disney Springs locations, and they were amazing. We tried every flavor, and my favorites were cookies and cream and coffee cake. This was a trip of gorging, which is just not typically me, but I stuffed myself to the gills with all sorts of treats I'd always wanted to try and just never have in the past. While we loved Gideon's, we were so underwhelmed by Amorette's, and we spent $100 there sampling nearly everything. However, the Ganachery was divine, and Sprinkles worth another visit. Basically Gideon's, as well as any other Disney treat, comes down to personal taste.

In general, where there is hype, there is a bad product. The cookies we purchased were way undercooked and the raw cookie dough description fits. $6.00 for a bad cookie or any cookie is ludicrous. The lady in front of us bought a dozen and upon opening told the "baker" the were not fresh. This was mid afternoon.

Now, I did not eat my cookies for a number of days. They sat in the fridge of our resort and I think it was 3 days before I even took a bite. I would cut off a portion of the cookie and microwave and then have with milk. They were not the best cookies ever, but still quite delicious. Maybe it was because I had waited and then used the microwave to make them warm when I ate them that they tasted good to me.

I will probably try again, but I will not make a special trip just for these cookies and I will only get the ones I know I will like. My sister did pick up a slice of cake and would like to try others of these.

Get the cookie at Norway's bakery. It is far superior, as is the Cookie Num Num, the cookies at 4 Rivers Smokehouse in Daytona or the soft baked ones at Buccees in Daytona.

Maybe it is because we have been saturated with the "big cookie" craze in NYC for years now with places like Levain Bakery, Chip, etc., but we tried Gideon's yesterday and were underwhelmed.

You were expecting some food item at Walt Disney World to overwhelm you?
Live and learn. For a theme park in Florida, there's some decent eats here and there. Lower your expectations, and be pleasantly surprised accordingly.

But, honestly, thanks for the data point. I haven't tried Gideon's yet, and I am a cookie HOUND. You've reminded me to temper my (previously high) expectations. I am easily romanced by soft cookies, and the glowing reports definitely had me thinking of making a special trip to the Springs.

On Monday night it was a 2 hour plus wait with their virtual queue, so we passed. We were at Disney Springs again yesterday around 4 and decided to pick up some cookies since the wait was only 20 minutes.

This place seems like a clear example of quantity and Instagram visual appeal over quality. The cookies were all dry and crumbly - not the texture at all from a cookie like this (and from others that I've had). Maybe this is a result of needing to keep up with huge demand at Disney Springs, or maybe it is just how they are. In any event, I would not really go out of my way to recommend this place to others, especially not for a multiple hour wait. It was fine, but definitely a let down after all the hype about this place.
Yeah, we tried Gideons and they were just eh.
Can you compare them to Levain’s for me? Never been there in person, but we have a copycat recipe and they are hands down my favorite chocolate chip cookie I’ve ever tasted!

Yeah, we tried Gideons and they were just eh.
Can you compare them to Levain’s for me? Never been there in person, but we have a copycat recipe and they are hands down my favorite chocolate chip cookie I’ve ever tasted!

Can you share your copycat recipe for Levains?

Ours were not dry and crumbly at all. In fact, they lasted over a week and were still not dried out. That being said I don’t think they were super special or anything. I would get some again if it was convenient for me, but I wouldn’t make a special trip get on the waiting list.

Mine wasn't dry but sweet. We got a few different ones to try. The chocolate chip was sweet for me. The key lime was kind of strange with the chocolate chips in it, but the coffee cake was great and I would totally do it again. The peanut butter cold brew was really good like I was shocked how good it was. I am not mad we stopped by there but we got there at opening so we didn't wait maybe 10 mins. It's not a must do every trip but I'm not mad we did and I'll go back for the cold brew alone.

Get the cookie at Norway's bakery. It is far superior, as is the Cookie Num Num, the cookies at 4 Rivers Smokehouse in Daytona or the soft baked ones at Buccees in Daytona.
The Jack Jack Cookie Num Nums at DHS are not good compared to the ones at Disneyland. The DHS ones are mostly crispy throughout and even a little dry. I think they warm them under a lamp. At DCA, they keep them in a warming container without the heated lamp. They are crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. They are so moist that they fall apart a bit as you pull off pieces. The DHS ones were hard to pull apart; we really had to bite them instead.

Interesting. I didn't find them dry and crumbly. I found them to be the equivalent of eating a baseball sized hunk of raw cookie dough...and not enjoyable.

I'd like to try the cakes, but apart from that, no need to wait again for these. There are FAR better options for sweets in DS, and far better actual cookies to be had.

In general, where there is hype, there is a bad product. The cookies we purchased were way undercooked and the raw cookie dough description fits. $6.00 for a bad cookie or any cookie is ludicrous. The lady in front of us bought a dozen and upon opening told the "baker" the were not fresh. This was mid afternoon.
They are known for their cookies tasting like they are undercooked, even though they are not. Like that is the entire premise of their business. So that is what should be expected. Whether or not that is something you like is a different story, but that wouldn't be a complaint I would make about their cookies (not saying you are)

Random but have you tried Schmackery's? They are so freaking good!

They are known for their cookies tasting like they are undercooked, even though they are not. Like that is the entire premise of their business. So that is what should be expected. Whether or not that is something you like is a different story, but that wouldn't be a complaint I would make about their cookies (not saying you are)

I'm totally making that complaint. Not undercooked. It felt like a mouthful of raw dough. Now I LOVE cookie dough...in moderation. It was just too much. The coffee cake cookie had a good flavor but was actually so "raw" that it was greasy in my hands. I could have shaped it into anything I wanted, like play dough. Of the flavors we tried, the pistachio was the best because the nuts gave the cookie some desperately needed texture/crunch and a nice nutty note to cut the overwhelming sweetness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter