Gift Cards

I am not ungrateful and do not think my thinking is ungrateful.

Again, I do not go out a lot so maybe that's why my opinion is coming off as rude to those as do.

I appreciate any gift! The point I was trying to make is that you wouldn't give someone half a bag or half a shoe as a gift. I personally feel that giving a gift card that you know will not cover an entire meal goes along with that.

I respect people who disagree with that, again to each there own. Just wish people could respect my opinion without calling me ungrateful.

How you feeling???????

:firefight:firefight:firefight

Hot Hot Hot ;)

I see you side of it. $25.00 would never be enough for me and dh for dinner.

I love getting gift cards. I think of them as "free shopping." Even if the card I receive covers only half, then in my mind, I've gotten a 50% off discount. My late MIL always gave me GC's for my birthday and Christmas, usually to Belk or Macy's, and I could always get some really great deals on clothes or whatever. I missed our annual after-Christmas shopping spree this year, comparing notes what we got for our free money. YMMV

I am not ungrateful and do not think my thinking is ungrateful. Again, I do not go out a lot so maybe that's why my opinion is coming off as rude to those as do. I appreciate any gift! The point I was trying to make is that you wouldn't give someone half a bag or half a shoe as a gift. I personally feel that giving a gift card that you know will not cover an entire meal goes along with that. I respect people who disagree with that, again to each there own. Just wish people could respect my opinion without calling me ungrateful.

But it does cover ONE entire meal.

Just of curiosity, and I'm not being snarky here, but really curious - if somebody were going to give you a $25 gc to a restaurant because that was what their budget was, would you rather they not get you anything at all? As the giver, I'd rather save my $25 if you were going to think poorly of me either way (no gift at all or $25 - either way I'm cheap, right?)

I LOVE getting gift cards and I don't expect that a card should cover an "entire" anything (be it a meal, a massage, or a purchase of whatever at Target/Kohls's etc). I consider the card to be money to be used TOWARDS the purchase of something. So a $25 gc to Chili's may not buy an ENTIRE meal for two at Chili's but it will certainly take a chunk out of the bill! I've received quite a few card for Christmas from my students:

A massage
$40 at Outback
$25 at Chili's
$25 AMC theater
2 $25 Lowe's
$25 Red Robin

and on and on...

But it does cover ONE entire meal. Just of curiosity, and I'm not being snarky here, but really curious - if somebody were going to give you a $25 gc to a restaurant because that was what their budget was, would you rather they not get you anything at all? As the giver, I'd rather save my $25 if you were going to think poorly of me either way (no gift at all or $25 - either way I'm cheap, right?)

I'm not disneyloving24, but I feel similarly. My Husband & I received a $10 gift card to a restaurant and while I truly appreciated that this person gave us a gift, it cost us an extra $20 to use it. I don't think it was a cheap gift but it wasn't very thoughtful since we had to spend more than she did to use it.

As a gift giver, I would want the recipient to enjoy the gift. To me, the gift of dining out would be for two people. Not everyone likes to go to a sit down restaurant by themselves. Maybe that second meal isn't in their budget. So, I would do my best to give a gift certificate that would cover the cost of two average meals in the restaurant. If that is not in my budget, I would pick something else that does which the recipient can enjoy with out spending more.

I'm not disneyloving24, but I feel similarly. My Husband & I received a $10 gift card to a restaurant and while I truly appreciated that this person gave us a gift, it cost us an extra $20 to use it. I don't think it was a cheap gift but it wasn't very thoughtful since we had to spend more than she did to use it. As a gift giver, I would want the recipient to enjoy the gift. To me, the gift of dining out would be for two people. Not everyone likes to go to a sit down restaurant by themselves. Maybe that second meal isn't in their budget. So, I would do my best to give a gift certificate that would cover the cost of two average meals in the restaurant. If that is not in my budget, I would pick something else that does which the recipient can enjoy with out spending more.

I still wouldn't look badly at the person or look at it as they made us spend extra money, as it's always my/our choice on what we order. But in this case, if I only had $10 I probably would have given it to Starbucks or the like. However that is much different than the $25 we've been talking about - that one would have almost covered both of your meals.

But again I ask, would you have rather not gotten it all? Does it make you feel like you had to use it? Is it a place you would eat normally without a gc?

I still wouldn't look badly at the person or look at it as they made us spend extra money, as it's always my/our choice on what we order. But in this case, if I only had $10 I probably would have given it to Starbucks or the like. However that is much different than the $25 we've been talking about - that one would have almost covered both of your meals. But again I ask, would you have rather not gotten it all? Does it make you feel like you had to use it? Is it a place you would eat normally without a gc?

The specific amount of the card isn't the point. The point was that it didn't cover the typical cost of two entrees in that restaurant because *I* wouldn't gift one entree to someone. If the average entree is $20, I would give at least twice that as a gift.

Yes, I do kind of feel obligated to use gift cards so as not to waste the givers money. It wasn't a place we typically eat but it wasn't a big deal to go there...it was just to a TGIFridays. I'm not going to say they should have saved their money because I am not ungrateful. Like I said I appreciated that they gave us something. I know not every gift is a hit and I'm sure I've given things that missed as well.

The specific amount of the card isn't the point. The point was that it didn't cover the typical cost of two entrees in that restaurant because *I* wouldn't gift one entree to someone. If the average entree is $20, I would give at least twice that as a gift.

Yes, I do kind of feel obligated to use gift cards so as not to waste the givers money. It wasn't a place we typically eat but it wasn't a big deal to go there...it was just to a TGIFridays. I'm not going to say they should have saved their money because I am not ungrateful. Like I said I appreciated that they gave us something. I know not every gift is a hit and I'm sure I've given things that missed as well.

But if I felt that way, DH and I would have gone in and had drinks at the very least or split an app with some lemonade. We would make it work. But regardless I would LOVE a gift card to TGIFs for any amount, we enjoy eating there. What if someone gave you a gc to a different store, would you still feel that way if there wasnt something to get for $10:confused3

I respect those who give and receiver 25 dollar gift cards. To each their own. I just personally, as someone who does not go out often, do not understand giving a gift card you know will not cover a full meal.

But again, to each their own! :)

I can also say I have never received a restaurant gift card nor can I imgine because I don't go out often.

Maybe that is why you don't understand.
If you (general you) go out to eat often, chances are you are would love a $25 GC to a restaurant, especially for one you go to. If you are going to be spending your money there, a GC in any amount just helps a little bit.

I got a GC to Home Depot. I'm re-doing my living room so I am estatic. The person who gave it to me knew that so I think it was very thoughtful.

I still wouldn't look badly at the person or look at it as they made us spend extra money, as it's always my/our choice on what we order. But in this case, if I only had $10 I probably would have given it to Starbucks or the like. However that is much different than the $25 we've been talking about - that one would have almost covered both of your meals.

But again I ask, would you have rather not gotten it all? Does it make you feel like you had to use it? Is it a place you would eat normally without a gc?

:thumbsup2 Or if you don't want to spend extra, just go in for dessert.

Anyone receiving gift cards to restaurants in an amount too low for them to use, feel free to PM me. I'll make sure they find a good home. ;)

The ones I don't really like are the restaurant gift cards that are $25. We don't go out to eat very much but when DH and I go out to eat we usually spend about $30 not including tip, so we still have to spend out of pocket, so those gift cards sometimes get tossed aside and sometimes forgotten.

But you're still only spending $5 or $10 on a $30 meal.

Well it depends on a restaurant but I would say usually a restaurant you are getting a gift card for you cannot eat for under 25 dollars.

I personally view going out to dinner as an experience with someone else so if I were to buy someone a gift card out I would assume two people would be going. Maybe not 2 people plus kids, but 2 people.

Here's what you can do. Give me all the $25 gift cards you got for restaurants. DH and I will be happy to be tacky and use them to offset the cost of our meal and save you the embarrassment of having a tacky gift card to spend.

Win/win!! We get to eat and you are spared embarrassment!

I got a Disney gift card for Christmas for my upcoming trip and now I am thinking how special that is. My aunt loves WDW and knew I was going on the trip so got it for me which is thoughtful. Like having money I can just spend in a place I got once a year!

But is it enough to buy the special
Thing you want? That is the question???? V

Here's what you can do. Give me all the $25 gift cards you got for restaurants. DH and I will be happy to be tacky and use them to offset the cost of our meal and save you the embarrassment of having a tacky gift card to spend. Win/win!! We get to eat and you are spared embarrassment!

That is exactly how I feel!

We just got back from a birthday dinner for DS11! We used one of our gift cards we received, it did not cover the whole bill. But as we were paying I thought I needed to ask this...

if you get a gift card to say Macy's for $25, do you only purchase something for $25 or under, or do you still get yourself a purse even if it is $50 and should the person who got you the gift card KNOWN that you wanted the $50, bc I kind dont see the difference btw that and a gift card to a restaurant:confused3

I would buy myself what I wanted and put the GC toward the purchase. Less I have to spend out of pocket is OK by me.

One man's tacky is another man's treasure!!!

:thumbsup2 Or if you don't want to spend extra, just go in for dessert. Anyone receiving gift cards to restaurants in an amount too low for them to use, feel free to PM me. I'll make sure they find a good home. ;)

I'll take them!

I cannot believe anyone would have the nerve to say a gift did not cost enough.

If I got a $25 gift card for a restaurant (where I wouldn't normally go), I'd just take DH for either appetizers or dessert and a coffee/drink after a movie. No one says you have to order a full meal when you go to a restaurant!

All I know is my ds got $350.00 in gift cards this year.
Great you say? Well guess who now forked over a $350. check cause he'd rather have the cash put into his account ...to use during the school year while hes away at college..

So I guess Ill be going to..
Starbucks
Dunkin Donuts
a Mall
and thankfully a few Visa cards..
Yeah I love Gift cards...Not really :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter