Gift or no gift?

3DisneyBuggs

DIS Veteran
My DD graduated from the 5th grade and one classmate is having a 5 th grade party next week.I'm not sure if a gift is needed. The invite said 5 th grade party. I

I don't think that sounds like the type of party one would bring a gift too. It seems like the same type of idea as a holiday party or end if the school year party rather than a gift giving occasion. If you wanted to you could send a hostess gift. For a child I'm not sure what I would send. Maybe a plate of cookies or something.

No gift. My kids go to end of year pool parties and its just kids getting together

No gift, but I'd get in touch with the mom and ask if we could help out by bringing anything (food, beverage, etc.). She will likely decline but I'd make the offer.

No gift.

I would bring something to the party though.

My kids went to lots of these in k-2. I always brought juice boxes. I figured that they could always use more drinks and if they didn't get used they could use them another time.

For 5th graders, I might just do a case of bottled water. If I knew the parents, I may ask, but if not, I just bring!

No gift. My DS just went to a slew of 8th grade graduation parties thrown by his classmates. The parties were a chance for the kids to get together and celebrate, and hang out together before they go off to different high schools. I did ask the moms if we could contribute anything (drinks, treats, etc.).

lizabu said:
I don't think that sounds like the type of party one would bring a gift too. It seems like the same type of idea as a holiday party or end if the school year party rather than a gift giving occasion. If you wanted to you could send a hostess gift. For a child I'm not sure what I would send. Maybe a plate of cookies or something.

I agree. I would NOT bring a gift. Id bring baked goods or something else.

I'm really confused about where this whole celebrate every little milestone thing evolved from. Is it an American thing because we don't really have that here in Australia (yet).

At the end of primary school (grade 6 or 7 depending on which state you live in) we never had a graduation, let alone a party for it. At the end of high school (year 12) we had a formal (prom) that was usually held in the middle of the year before exams started. Then you might have a ceremony on the last day of school to get your certificates and that's about it. I never went to kindergarten so I can't comment on what happened back in the 70s for that.

The only big parties most people have here is for their 18th and their 21st birthdays. Unfortunately, to generalise, Australia has a big drinking culture so many parties are more of an excuse to get totally wasted than to celebrate an event :worried:

BTW, I'm not stirring or trolling or anything, just curious.

Please no gifts! Dd12 is "graduating" next week from 6th grade (with a ceremony), and having a pool party - the party is for the class, not for dd. I really really hope nobody brings a gift!

yeah, i also don't understand the idea of why a gift would or should be expected.

i might offer to bring some drinks or some sort of food contribution if my child was attending, kind of a 'bring a plate' scenario, but a gift? no.

i remember getting a gift of a necklace from my parents upon my graduation from school, and that was for being valedictorian.

i, personally, would feel offended if a gift was the expectation if my child was to attend a social gathering.

I'm really confused about where this whole celebrate every little milestone thing evolved from. Is it an American thing because we don't really have that here in Australia (yet).

At the end of primary school (grade 6 or 7 depending on which state you live in) we never had a graduation, let alone a party for it. At the end of high school (year 12) we had a formal (prom) that was usually held in the middle of the year before exams started. Then you might have a ceremony on the last day of school to get your certificates and that's about it. I never went to kindergarten so I can't comment on what happened back in the 70s for that.

The only big parties most people have here is for their 18th and their 21st birthdays. Unfortunately, to generalise, Australia has a big drinking culture so many parties are more of an excuse to get totally wasted than to celebrate an event :worried:

BTW, I'm not stirring or trolling or anything, just curious.

I teach in NSW and the year 6 kids at my school have a big party. They rent a hall, dress up (semi formal), have a formal dinner and a dance. It's a bigger deal here than anything I saw in Canada.

Frankly, I think the number of "graduations" has gotten out of hand. Kids "graduate" preschool, kindergarten, from primary, middle school (in the US and Canada) and then from high school. I hate to be a party pooper, but it's a little silly, IMHO.

I teach in NSW and the year 6 kids at my school have a big party. They rent a hall, dress up (semi formal), have a formal dinner and a dance. It's a bigger deal here than anything I saw in Canada.

Frankly, I think the number of "graduations" has gotten out of hand. Kids "graduate" preschool, kindergarten, from primary, middle school (in the US and Canada) and then from high school. I hate to be a party pooper, but it's a little silly, IMHO.

::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter