Gifting Towels

smokeyblue

DIS Veteran
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but the heart of the matter is what can I afford. My grandma is turning 80 this weekend. Like most 80 year olds she doesn't need much in the way of material things other than necessities. We had a bunch of Kohl's cash to burn so I bought her a few sets of towels. They had a few Vera Wang towels in a very pretty blue color for sale on "limited quantity" that seem to be very high quality. This is a luxary she would never get herself because of her limited income. I ended up getting 4 bath, 4 wash cloths and 2 hand towels (all that was left). Do you think 4 sets is a sufficient amount of towels for a gift? I really can't afford more because I need to spend money on making something for 100 party guests. Should I stick with the towels or perhaps just buy her a gift card for gas or groceries?

Don't over think it - it is the tought that counts. You saw something that she would like PLUS she woudl not splurge on her self. I woudl say they would make a great gift. Maybe add in a few pretty soaps (decoration ones) and you will be good to go!

You want honesty?

I think its a great gift. Plenty of people I know would love someone to get them nice quality towels. Its one of those things no one thinks to really get for themselves. 4 sets is a good amount. That's actually a part of what I got my mom for her Birthday. She doesn't have the extra money right now for luxury quality towels and hers were looking tired. If you want a little something extra why not buy some of those cute shaped bath soaps and a mini tray? Pier one had some clearance ones in the store the other day near the bath items. Around $7 for 5 mini soaps and a tray.

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but the heart of the matter is what can I afford. My grandma is turning 80 this weekend. Like most 80 year olds she doesn't need much in the way of material things other than necessities. We had a bunch of Kohl's cash to burn so I bought her a few sets of towels. They had a few Vera Wang towels in a very pretty blue color for sale on "limited quantity" that seem to be very high quality. This is a luxary she would never get herself because of her limited income. I ended up getting 4 bath, 4 wash cloths and 2 hand towels (all that was left). Do you think 4 sets is a sufficient amount of towels for a gift? I really can't afford more because I need to spend money on making something for 100 party guests. Should I stick with the towels or perhaps just buy her a gift card for gas or groceries?
If your grandma is like my parents (ages 79 & 84), she doesn't like gift cards and would rather have something from your heart. The towels are a nice thought. Perhaps some nice bath soaps or pricey lotion (the elderly have a tendency toward dry skin in winter), a handmade sachet for her linen drawer, or a framed photograph of her with your family.

Even better than a gift card for gas or groceries would be the offer to drive her someplace she needs to go and then take her out to lunch afterward.

Offer to go through some of her old photos with her and archive them digitally. Take a recording device along so that you can capture her comments and observations about her past. Ask questions about how they spent the holidays when she was a little girl, what school was like, and what it was like living through the Great Depression and WWII. Even little things like asking about the house she grew up in can bring back a flood of happy memories for her. She will be glad that someone cared enough to ensure that future generations will know more about her than just her birthdate. Make a photobook with the pictures and comments to give to her when you've finished.

I think it is a very nice gift. I would however stress to her that these are for her to use for herself everyday and NOT to put up for company. So many older people have trouble accepting and using nice things for themselves. Maybe help her to wash them and put them into her bathroom to use.

I think that is a good gift, especially if she hasn't bought any in a while. This way she can have a nice daily luxury she might not have thought about getting for herself.

I also like the other poster's idea of adding some nice soap and lotion to complete the gift!

I'd love towels as a gift and I am not a grandma!! lol And I would totally use them after the first washing. Sometimes it's hard to spend money on nice towels, because theyre just towels, but after using some kohl's cash and splurging on towels for our family, I was hooked...lol

The towels will make a wonderful gift for her. It is really hard to shop for someone of her age and I'm sure she will appreciate the set. The quantity you purchased is perfect, assuming she either lives alone or with her spouse. I agree that a nice hand cream might be a great addition, although I'd select something unscented or very, very lightly scented.

I love the idea of finishing it off with nice soaps or lotion!! Great gift!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My mom is 57 and she puts towels on her gift lists for me to buy her. It's something that she just doesn't want to spend the money on for really nice ones.

I think your Grandma will love them. After my Grandma passed away I bought Grandpa some new towels. Grandma had the bathroom is purplish colors and that wasn't him. Bought him brown and tan towels and he loved it.

I would totally love towels as a gift and I'm not 80. I don't know how much you normally spend on your Grandma but to me 4 towels + 4 wash cloths + 2 hand towels is roughly around the $60-$80 (or more) price point which is a nice gift.

Thank you. I just needed some reassurance that this was an appropriate gift. I wanted to get her a nice set of bedding, but the quality of what I could afford was poor. These towels really caught my eye because of their color, weight and softness. The bag was so heavy it was almost a bit much for me to carry to my car! They ended up to be $65 after $30 of Kohl's cash and a 15% off. I usually buy her a years supply of paper towel, so this will be a surprise!

I think I will package maybe a seasonal scented Philosophy body wash/shampoo/bubble bath, they had some at a reasonable price at TJ Maxx. Maybe that will cue her that the time to use this stuff is now! Like many of you can relate, she is likely to use the towels for guests or tuck them away until her current towels are threadbare.

I think nice towels are a great gift and something it's hard to buy for yourself. I found a sale on some good ones at Costco last year and realized how nice it can be to have a better quality towel.

I think the idea you have of adding the wash from TJ Maxx is perfect. I know my grandma always loved lotion and she preferred pump bottles because they were easier to use.

Thank you for starting this thread! My 80 year old grandparents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary in December. This is *the* perfect gift!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter