Gifts for Crew Members

pascalspal

Registered
I am sailing on the Magic again in January, and I know a few of the friends I made on the last cruise are still going to be working when I sail. I was thinking about getting them a few small gifts, fun things or maybe things they need, but I’m having a hard time coming up with ideas.

Does anyone have any good ideas for small things I could bring them? Does anyone have any experience working on a ship and want to share things they wanted or needed while working?

I was thinking some candies that wouldn’t melt in transit, lotion, etc.?

We bring "goodie bag" type gifts with us every cruise for our steward and dining staff. We include things like snack crackers, gum, mints, toothbrushes, toothpaste, chapstick, candies, fruit snacks etc. Small lunch size or travel size items. They are always more than appreciative. I have had heard them say these things are "hard to get" and if they don't use them, they often trade them with others on the ships.

I am sailing on the Magic again in January, and I know a few of the friends I made on the last cruise are still going to be working when I sail. I was thinking about getting them a few small gifts, fun things or maybe things they need, but I’m having a hard time coming up with ideas.

Does anyone have any good ideas for small things I could bring them? Does anyone have any experience working on a ship and want to share things they wanted or needed while working?

Cash. That way they can purchase exactly what they need or send the money home to their families.

Again, the absolute best thing you can do is get their name and either go to Guest Services to fill out a compliment card, or make your own templates to bring with you and drop it off at Guest Services and/or manitou them by name in an email or letter to DCL. That will go in their file and help with promotions, raises, change of ship or position, time off, and/or special recognition at a dinner with Officers.

That ultimately means far more than trinkets they do not have room for or food they may be allergic to.

For servers and stateroom hosts, that plus adding to their tips are the best thing.

Again, the absolute best thing you can do is get their name and either go to Guest Services to fill out a compliment card, or make your own templates to bring with you and drop it off at Guest Services and/or manitou them by name in an email or letter to DCL. That will go in their file and help with promotions, raises, change of ship or position, time off, and/or special recognition at a dinner with Officers.

I'm glad to know the time it takes to write out a letter to the Captain about a really great CM is actually read and processed to their file.

I was just on the Magic for the WBTA. I always bring a Melitta 1cup plastic pour over coffee basket with filters. When I was making my coffee everyday in Cabanas, crew would come over almost immediately asking where I bought it and where can they get one. A CM even brought his boss over to look at it. It’s small, simple and inexpensive, and would be appreciated. I ended up giving mine to our Stateroom host along with coffee and filters. He was so appreciative and had a huge smile on his face.

we have an awesome server, and he told us a note to guest service or the head server goes a long way. He gets time off. When walking around the ship or in the atrium before dinner service, when I see the officer in charge of the food service, I will drop his name. the cast members really enjoy time off to get off the ship and enjoy the ports.

we have an awesome server, and he told us a note to guest service or the head server goes a long way. He gets time off. When walking around the ship or in the atrium before dinner service, when I see the officer in charge of the food service, I will drop his name. the cast members really enjoy time off to get off the ship and enjoy the ports.

You can go to Guest Services and fill out a card and it will get to the right person. No need to depend on chance.

We give extra cash, fill out comment cards, and have also written notes for service above and beyond. BUT...we also give little gifts (mainly candy) in the moment to CMs who do something special. We always let them know that we will also remember them in the comments, etc. Perhaps they're just being polite, but almost all seem genuinely appreciative, and several CMs we've gotten to know well over the years (stay in touch with throughout the year even when we're not cruising) have told us that these are appreciated because even if the CM cannot or would prefer not to eat it, it has trade value for them.

We give extra cash, fill out comment cards, and have also written notes for service above and beyond. BUT...we also give little gifts (mainly candy) in the moment to CMs who do something special. We always let them know that we will also remember them in the comments, etc. Perhaps they're just being polite, but almost all seem genuinely appreciative, and several CMs we've gotten to know well over the years (stay in touch with throughout the year even when we're not cruising) have told us that these are appreciated because even if the CM cannot or would prefer not to eat it, it has trade value for them.

Speaking as a former CM, little things like this can make a huge difference in your whole day. Even just a little card that says something nice is hugely appreciated. I received quite a few of these during my Disney career, and I still have all of them!

If they are truly your friends, just ask them what they want or need.

We don’t have means of contact with them. They are hosts in the concierge lounge so I called to see if they were still on the same ship, which is the only reason I know they will still be there. If you read the initial post you would see that I started this thread to find some fun, positive ideas for small gifts for them. We don’t need rude or snarky comments here, we are all just trying to help each other out.

We don’t have means of contact with them. They are hosts in the concierge lounge so I called to see if they were still on the same ship, which is the only reason I know they will still be there. If you read the initial post you would see that I started this thread to find some fun, positive ideas for small gifts for them. We don’t need rude or snarky comments here, we are all just trying to help each other out.

And we have told you the best things for them - they do not have room for trinkets and food is risky because of allergies and religious beliefs.

And we have told you the best things for them - they do not have room for trinkets and food is risky because of allergies and religious beliefs.

Yes, I understand that but like stated before if they don’t want something they can trade with another crew member. I want to give them a surprise gift on top of the tips and comment cards which I why I was asking for suggestions. If you don’t have anything else of value to add to the thread you don’t have to keep commenting. I didn’t ask for the “best” things, I asked for fun present ideas to surprise them.

Not trying to be rude or snarky. Please decide how much you would like to spend and give them cash. If you really want to give something that is not cash, Walmart gift cards are fine as long as you are sailing from a US port.

I appreciate all of the input on giving them cash, but believe me we give each of them 3-4x the recommended tip amount each timw we sail. In my opinion that is plenty of extra cash. I am looking for physical gift ideas to take on board with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter