Gifts for Crew Members

I appreciate all of the input on giving them cash, but believe me we give each of them 3-4x the recommended tip amount each timw we sail. In my opinion that is plenty of extra cash. I am looking for physical gift ideas to take on board with me.

See the second post.

Speaking as a former CM, little things like this can make a huge difference in your whole day. Even just a little card that says something nice is hugely appreciated. I received quite a few of these during my Disney career, and I still have all of them!
Thank you. It’s goot to hear from a former CM that personalized notes/cards are truly appreciated.

I am sailing on the Magic again in January, and I know a few of the friends I made on the last cruise are still going to be working when I sail. I was thinking about getting them a few small gifts, fun things or maybe things they need, but I’m having a hard time coming up with ideas.

Does anyone have any good ideas for small things I could bring them? Does anyone have any experience working on a ship and want to share things they wanted or needed while working?

I was thinking some candies that wouldn’t melt in transit, lotion, etc.?
Everyone likes cash.

My reasons for not giving anything other than cash are varied, and include: not wanting to clutter the CM's room (my goodness, cruise crew sail in teeny tiny rooms that they have to share; imagine if every guest brought a 'small' gift), not wanting to give stuff they won't like, but will feel that they have to graciously accept anyway, and recognizing that while gift-giving might be my way of showing appreciation, it might well not be their preferred way of receiving appreciation.

But as you are looking for ideas: what about folding cash origami-style, and putting it into the envelope with a card. Might sound cheesy, but there are some really cute things you can fold out of a bill, especially American money.

:confused3
Not trying to be rude or snarky. Please decide how much you would like to spend and give them cash. If you really want to give something that is not cash, Walmart gift cards are fine as long as you are sailing from a US port.

See, personally I'd rather have some snacks and gum that I can give to friends, than a gift card for a store I don't shop at.

But as you are looking for ideas: what about folding cash origami-style, and putting it into the envelope with a card. Might sound cheesy, but there are some really cute things you can fold out of a bill, especially American money.

I love this idea!

Cash, generic (ie. Visa) gift card that they can use in port or a calling/WiFi card for international use.

On a previous thread (this is a very popular subject ;)) it was suggested to ask them what they'd like and get it for them at a port. Really ask for brand and stuff. I like this idea, because you give something they'd use and you also give free time, because they don't have to get it themselves. I know our room host told us she was really happy she was able to do some shopping and got supplies, because she cooked herself, because she didn't like the food DCL provided. I'm sure she would have been really happy with some groceries.

Except you're not really allowed to bring non-pre-packaged food on board...

I suspect the CM's can't either? So we'd be able to get the same things? supplies doesn't mean non-pre packaged food

I'm frankly surprised she was able to cook her own food. They aren't usually allowed to have stuff to really cook anything beyond ramen or something like that where you're just adding hot water. If she had anything more stashed in her cabin and was doing actual cooking, she was risking her job.

And people are literally telling you. The “physical” gift to bring onboard to give is cash. Perhaps bring funny or meaningful cards to write in and put the cash gift in.

Yes I understand that people are recommending cash, but like I said before I want to bring something on top of the cash and comment cards we already give them. We give them enough cash, we’ll more than they ever expect, which is why I’m looking for other ideas.

Yes I understand that people are recommending cash, but like I said before I want to bring something on top of the cash and comment cards we already give them. We give them enough cash, we’ll more than they ever expect, which is why I’m looking for other ideas.
It sounds like you're doing enough for them.

What I have gathered is a few of the people we are going to be bringing gifts for are in non tipped positions so cash is not an option. We will be giving cash to those who are in tipped positions, but I guess we will go for little gift bags with notes, candy, and snacks for those who cannot receive cash from a guest. They work long days and have access to a limited variety of food/snacks, so I’ll look for a variety of things to include.

For anyone else who is thinking about doing this as well, a former CM recommended bringing nice chocolates (ferrero rocher, Ritter, etc.) she said that people would stop by her room and ask if she had her nice chocolates left! So that seems like a good option as well!

a few of the people we are going to be bringing gifts for are in non tipped positions so cash is not an option. We will be giving cash to those who are in tipped positions, but I guess we will go for little gift bags with notes, candy, and snacks for those who cannot receive cash from a guest.
If those are the Youth Activities CMs, I'd suggest more than a "little" gift bag. Any such tips/gratuities must be shared by the other YA CMs. A little bag of candies/snacks won't go very far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter