Gingerbread Time!!!! Picture in post #44!!!!!

Wow, those are amazing.

And, looking through those past creations, you've improved so much since you started. To be clear, your 2008 creation was far, far better than anything that I could ever do - it just that your 2013 creation surpasses it.

Congratulations! 4 th place is great! I can't wait to see your photos!

I apologize for not posting pictures sooner, the past few days have been extremely hectic!

I had some last minute technical difficulties with one of my figure skaters, who simply did not want to stand up on her skates. On the day of the delivery she was not cooperating, so I decided to bring the piece to the hotel and finish up in my hotel room. A good gingerbread friend came to the rescue to help with the skater and the sled, as the runners were also giving me trouble. We worked on both pieces until 1:00 AM. We were back at it at 6 the next morning. By 8 a.m. we got both pieces on the board and made it to the photography station just in the nick of time.

At 2:45 one of the judges, who knows my work and style, walked out of the ballroom as we were sitting outside "gingergating" (think tailgating...same concept). I asked if he knew which piece was mine, and he did, and he asked if one of my skaters was supposed to be leaning forward. I turned white and said noooooo....he stated, "well she is now!" I burst into tears! He said that it did not count against me, as she did not completely fall, and they saw it as a sign of strength in the build of the figure. They were completely blown away that I could even GET gingerbread figures to stand on thin skate blades.

He then told me that I was in serious contention for a top 10 finish with possible placement in the top 3. He told me that in his score sheet I was in HIS top 3! Made me feel great. I ended up 4th overall, which when up against professional artists, sculptors, cake decorators, sugar arts teachers, etc. is pretty darn good. So, I am thrilled at finishing where I did.

I will post pictures as soon as I can. I have another creation to turn out in the next few days, but will at the very least get one pic of mine posted tonight and the rest in the next couple of days.

Linda

I apologize for not posting pictures sooner, the past few days have been extremely hectic!

I had some last minute technical difficulties with one of my figure skaters, who simply did not want to stand up on her skates. On the day of the delivery she was not cooperating, so I decided to bring the piece to the hotel and finish up in my hotel room. A good gingerbread friend came to the rescue to help with the skater and the sled, as the runners were also giving me trouble. We worked on both pieces until 1:00 AM. We were back at it at 6 the next morning. By 8 a.m. we got both pieces on the board and made it to the photography station just in the nick of time.

At 2:45 one of the judges, who knows my work and style, walked out of the ballroom as we were sitting outside "gingergating" (think tailgating...same concept). I asked if he knew which piece was mine, and he did, and he asked if one of my skaters was supposed to be leaning forward. I turned white and said noooooo....he stated, "well she is now!" I burst into tears! He said that it did not count against me, as she did not completely fall, and they saw it as a sign of strength in the build of the figure. They were completely blown away that I could even GET gingerbread figures to stand on thin skate blades.

He then told me that I was in serious contention for a top 10 finish with possible placement in the top 3. He told me that in his score sheet I was in HIS top 3! Made me feel great. I ended up 4th overall, which when up against professional artists, sculptors, cake decorators, sugar arts teachers, etc. is pretty darn good. So, I am thrilled at finishing where I did.

I will post pictures as soon as I can. I have another creation to turn out in the next few days, but will at the very least get one pic of mine posted tonight and the rest in the next couple of days.

Linda

Congratulations on 4th -- that's amazing!!!

I couldn't wait and had to Google! Is this it? It's wonderful!

9.jpg

http://www.romanticasheville.com/gingerbread_judging.htm

Yes it is!!!! Thanks for posting it! The girl in blue is NOT supposed to be leaning. She fell off her skates shortly after the judging began, but her dress is so well constructed that it is actually holding her up. I will be fixing her in the next day or so.

I love this piece and it has a very special place in my heart. Thanks to whomever found it online and posted it!

Linda

Wow! As usual, it's gorgeous!
I wish I could go to this show. It must be amazing to see all these creative works of art.

Amazing!!! Nice job and congrats. I would love to go to this competition to see all these wonderful gingerbread pieces.

She looks good leaning -like she is moving forward
I would have never noticed it

Congratulations, Linda!!! Another great showing. And wow, you sure do have the talent. What a beautiful creation.

Are you sure that's gingerbread???
Wow! Great job! Again!
I too, actually like her leaning forward.

Such incredible work. Congratulations on taking one of the top spot. Makes me wish there was somewhere in our area to see such spectacular gingerbread displays.

Wow! Great job! Again!

I can assure you that it is in fact all gingerbread!! Some of it is conventional traditional gingerbread baked in the oven, in specially made pans, or just formed and placed on a baking sheet for the arms. Then it was sanded smooth to get rid of rough and unwanted edges.

Other gingerbread, for the fabric on the dresses was manipulated, and by that I mean that I baked it, broke it up into chunks and then ground it up. I put it through a food mill to make a very fine powder.....gingerbread flour if you will. I mixed that flour with other ingredients to make clay, that I rolled and put through a pasta maker, then ruffled and frilled in some cases before placing on the figure with an edible glue.

The only fondant on the piece....the faces on the figures, and the outfit on the baby. The art of gingerbread at this level has changed sooooo much, and continues to change every year. We are all trying new things to catch the judge's eye and attention.

Wow, its beautiful and congrats on 4th place. I would have not though anything was wrong as well.

I couldn't wait and had to Google! Is this it? It's wonderful!

9.jpg

http://www.romanticasheville.com/gingerbread_judging.htm

Yes it is!!!! Thanks for posting it! The girl in blue is NOT supposed to be leaning. She fell off her skates shortly after the judging began, but her dress is so well constructed that it is actually holding her up. I will be fixing her in the next day or so.

I love this piece and it has a very special place in my heart. Thanks to whomever found it online and posted it!

Linda

She looks good leaning -like she is moving forward
I would have never noticed it

:thumbsup2 I totally agree! ::yes::

Wow! Great job! Again!

I can assure you that it is in fact all gingerbread!! Some of it is conventional traditional gingerbread baked in the oven, in specially made pans, or just formed and placed on a baking sheet for the arms. Then it was sanded smooth to get rid of rough and unwanted edges.

Other gingerbread, for the fabric on the dresses was manipulated, and by that I mean that I baked it, broke it up into chunks and then ground it up. I put it through a food mill to make a very fine powder.....gingerbread flour if you will. I mixed that flour with other ingredients to make clay, that I rolled and put through a pasta maker, then ruffled and frilled in some cases before placing on the figure with an edible glue.

The only fondant on the piece....the faces on the figures, and the outfit on the baby. The art of gingerbread at this level has changed sooooo much, and continues to change every year. We are all trying new things to catch the judge's eye and attention.

Linda, fabulous job, as usual! :woohoo: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Be sure to update your thread title so people know a picture has finally been posted to the thread and posters aren't simply posting while excitedly waiting. :hyper:

WOW another great job. I see you with your creation if you keep scrolling through. It's nice to place a face with the work. We're headed to Asheville/Biltmore Dec 5 & 6 I hope we have time to stop in and see these.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter