Girl Scout Cookies Price Increase

I remember some years ago cub scouts were selling bags of popcorn for about $20. I think even the leader was embarrassed about the price. I must have looked shocked, in one nano-second the cubbie says "we take donations too".

The dusty memories ... one year I was top seller because Dad took order form to work. I did not get individual credit (maybe I got a prize) but all monies went in to one pot for us to go on a camping trip. Still remember the trip ... and a raccoon sitting on my stomach eating my contraband snacks).
One year - different troop, Council and state - the Scouts actually got to vote on what they were selling/saving the money for. I remember them tempering our ideas because of the expected money. I think we went to local amusement park. I guess in the end we were at the mercy of the Council on how much they were allowing us to keep. If Council determines how much you keep I suppose it could impact your efforts. If kids are selling for individual credit to pay for a camping experience ... I'd rather give them money when they had to pay their part.

I know, I was just joking around and having a bit of fun given some of the most controversial threads recently (Epstein, anyone?).

I'm really curious how much Girl Scouts raises nationwide with those cookies.
$800 million is total sales .... it is 200 million boxes with profits being $3-4 dollars all of which goes to the Council. Council then determines usage of funds including how much the Troops get. Most reports seem to be 50 cents to one dollar per box. Councils also determine prices so they are not the same across the country. Some areas said they had to raise prices because sales are down. :scratchin

This is from our council.
So minimal for the Troops. Have they defined for you what "Programming" is and does it have some good value for you all as Troops? Seems like a big percentage so just wondering what it is.

Old friends of mine had a daughter who was in scouting for a while. The mom was pretty involved and managed the cookie sale for their....troop? is that the right word? Anyway, I happened to stop by once when the cookies were delivered and it looked something like this. I've never seen so many cookies in one place.View attachment 825235
I managed the cookie sale for the 33 troops in our school district for a few years. We borrowed the local fire hall for distribution and the cookies came in on a tractor-trailer.

I will buy online from my great niece in WV, their council does a lot of cool stuff for the girls. They are $5 there still. Probably some from a neighbor also.

The dusty memories ... one year I was top seller because Dad took order form to work. I did not get individual credit (maybe I got a prize) but all monies went in to one pot for us to go on a camping trip. Still remember the trip ... and a raccoon sitting on my stomach eating my contraband snacks).
One year - different troop, Council and state - the Scouts actually got to vote on what they were selling/saving the money for. I remember them tempering our ideas because of the expected money. I think we went to local amusement park. I guess in the end we were at the mercy of the Council on how much they were allowing us to keep. If Council determines how much you keep I suppose it could impact your efforts. If kids are selling for individual credit to pay for a camping experience ... I'd rather give them money when they had to pay their part.

$800 million is total sales .... it is 200 million boxes with profits being $3-4 dollars all of which goes to the Council. Council then determines usage of funds including how much the Troops get. Most reports seem to be 50 cents to one dollar per box. Councils also determine prices so they are not the same across the country. Some areas said they had to raise prices because sales are down. :scratchin

So minimal for the Troops. Have they defined for you what "Programming" is and does it have some good value for you all as Troops? Seems like a big percentage so just wondering what it is.

programming is summer camps, weekend campouts, other events that are run by council.

Twenty-five years ago, I bought 30 boxes from my friend's daughter. I think they were maybe $3/box?
We always had neighborhood kids at our kitchen table, so we went through them pretty quickly!
I will probably buy 5 boxes at church and put them in my grandkids special snack cupboard.

Thanks for the heads up - means I have to keep cash on me on bowling nights as they come through the alleys to sell, or set up a stand somewhere within.

They are totally not worth the cost, but the nostalgia gets us each time.

Tagalongs, Samoas, Thin Mints, Do-si-do, and then they had a really good graham cracker one a few years ago I keep hoping comes back

Last edited:
I don't buy as many as I used to (when my neighbor's two girls were in Scouts) because DH has to watch his sugar now. But I recently got a new "source" because a Lodge-member's DD set up there, so of course I had to support her efforts. :teeth:

But for anyone who can't find them and really wants them, please look for Troop 6000 online. It runs programs in homeless shelters and they will ship the cookies right to you!

I was a cookie mom for years when my daughter was in Girl Scouts.

it shocked me how little went to the troop, vs how much went to the council and the national organizations.

i do not know any Girl Scouts, and do not buy them in The pop up stands in grocery stores.

I checked the local Orlando area and it seems they are already selling at most Publix , etc…
Was not planning on going to grocery today Do you think they will sell out? Haha
I miss the original plain sugar cookie design .
I guess I should buy the original and dip them in sugar to enjoy .
It is difficult to Walk past the Salvation Army BellRinger every year without donating.
I was a bellringer once upon a time organized as a charity for the Bank I worked for.
I can’t walk past the Girl Scouts without making a purchase .
Guess I will have to check it out Today!
Hope I have the strength to just make a donation I really should not have temptation in my freezer!
You should see all the Halloween candy still in there !

I can’t walk past the Girl Scouts without making a purchase .
Same. They have a sale locked in because I’m a total nostalgic sucker. I think they were $2 a box when I was selling them. Mom was the cookie mom one year and our garage was full of boxes just like the pic above. ::yes::

Thanks for the heads up about a price increase @jdb in AZ. Around here the girls set up outside of Walmart and the Liquor store, LOL! I’ll try and make a donation to the troop rather than buy the cookies. They are delish, but we don’t need them, and I have no self control once a box is opened.

My son recently joined Scouts, so we’ll be in the throes of popcorn selling season come end of Summer. I agree that prices are ridiculous, and it’s more of a donation than a purchase. Last season we opted to buy the jar of kernels as we like to pop our own popcorn. It was only available online. It pops a FANTASTIC popcorn and I will be sad when our last jar runs out!

Same. They have a sale locked in because I’m a total nostalgic sucker. I think they were $2 a box when I was selling them. Mom was the cookie mom one year and our garage was full of boxes just like the pic above. ::yes::

Thanks for the heads up about a price increase @jdb in AZ. Around here the girls set up outside of Walmart and the Liquor store, LOL! I’ll try and make a donation to the troop rather than buy the cookies. They are delish, but we don’t need them, and I have no self control once a box is opened.

My son recently joined Scouts, so we’ll be in the throes of popcorn selling season come end of Summer. I agree that prices are ridiculous, and it’s more of a donation than a purchase. Last season we opted to buy the jar of kernels as we like to pop our own popcorn. It was only available online. It pops a FANTASTIC popcorn and I will be sad when our last jar runs out!
Most troops will have some sort of system where you can pay for a box or two to be donated to a local organization instead of taking them home and eating them!

Most troops will have some sort of system where you can pay for a box or two to be donated to a local organization instead of taking them home and eating them!

That’s a wonderful idea. I will inquire about that also!

I stopped buying Girl Scout cookies when I found out my niece's troop was using proceeds to eat out at Rain Forest Cafe. Not going to start buying again now.

I stopped buying Girl Scout cookies when I found out my niece's troop was using proceeds to eat out at Rain Forest Cafe. Not going to start buying again now.
Okay, I have to ask, what’s so wrong with Rain Forest Cafe? Lol. I can absolutely see how that would be a fun, morale boosting activity for the group. Was it something they did on their way back from camping, for example, the way sports teams go out for dinner or ice cream after the game? Or did the girls choose that to be their reward for something? Or were they just living large on cookie sale profits and eating out every Saturday night? :laughing: In any case, it sounds a lot more fun than my Girl Scout experience which primarily consisted of just sitting around crafting… endless crafting. :crazy2:

We don’t buy them, would rather just make a donation and call it a day. The value is not there and we don’t usually buy any cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc.. I sold them for $0.50 per box which may have seemed like a lot back then.
My DS was in Boy Scouts and those popcorn prices were outrageous, however, more went to the den/troop than with Girl Scouts. So, coupled with the cost vs. value for the cookies and we don’t want them in the house, it’s a no. We do make a donation, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter