Give me the truth about driving from Ontario ;)

We drove down for Christmas holidays this year. We are from Barrie and take I-75 down. In the winter, we like that route better and it is the one we are more familiar with. We left around 5ish on Thursday and crossed at Sarnia around 8:30 am. There was not one car ahead of us and we were less than 5 minutes at the border. We stop every 3 hours or so for washroom breaks/gas/lunch, etc. If we stop for one thing, we tried to do the rest at the same time. We stopped for the first night at Lexington, KY around 4:30 pm. The next day, we left our hotel around 8 am and stopped for the night again around 4:30ish again in McDonaugh, GA. Up and moving again at 8 am and got to the Florida Welcome Centre around 11 am and were at our Villa in Kissimmee around 4:30 pm on Saturday. Going home, we hit weather on the way back. We left our Villa around 5 am and stopped in Sweetwater, TN around 4 pm. Then hit the road again the next day around 7. We were going to power through and head right home but the icy roads said otherwise and we ended up stopping for the night in Chatham, ON. We stop at each state's Welcome Centre and get their coupon books. An indoor pool is mandatory for us. We really don't mind the drive if we have two weeks. We had 18 days in total so we had the extra travel time and still had 14 days in Florida. We've done the drive for a week's trip and its OK too but we find it more difficult. We need the day we arrive in Florida and the day we get home for sure to rest up. If you have more than one driver, it is much easier. DH loves to drive and I'm the navigator, but if he's had enough and we want to continue on, I can drive. We also have one child (she's 10) who is very good in the car and she is kept happy with her books and movies. It is doable if you plan well but remember that you have no control over traffic and weather.

I have the same experience as PanamaMike

Our family of four leave Barrie around 6 am and drive 13-14 hours (I-75) getting into Knoxville area (give or take) before stopping for the night at about 7-8 pm.
Next day, on the road around 8 am and have a leisurely, relaxing drive and into Orlando around 5pm. I've done this route twice now and it's pretty straight forward.

Last time I decided I'd like to change the drive up a bit and went the I90>I79>I77>I95 route and stayed in Charlotte, NC. It was a great drive as well and a bit more scenic. Day two we hoped back on the road around 8 am, stopped in Savanna, GA for a 2 hr lunch break and bit of sight seeing then on into Orlando in time for dinner.

Have done the drive to Orlando in December (Christmas holidays), February, March and August.

I would drive over flying any day, but I love driving and I find half the trip is just getting there and back and can be real fun for the family if you plan accordingly. The drive builds anticipation up for the arrival. Heading home gives you time to reflect on the trip and gear up for going back to the daily grind. Plus the time and conversations on the drive with the wife and kids is truly irreplaceable and they are some of my fondest memories of our vacations.

So, to recap, driving from Barrie to Orlando can easily be done in two days tops. Put the miles in on first day. This eases up the driving on the second day by a lot and you can easily get into Orlando for dinner on the second night, hit the sack and feel refreshed for the following day.

driving to Disney is awesome. we leave at 12 pm (from Toronto) stop for dinner in Erie PA, breakfast in GA and at Disney at 1 pm the next day. now coming HOME is another story -- we leave at 9 am -- drive until noon, have lunch -- drive until 6 have dinner -- drive drive drive drive drive drive --- and finally get home sometime after we leave and collapse into a mess of stress and tiredness --- to bad we can't drive down and then teleport back home!

My mother in law drives down every year from New Brunswick (27 hours). She doesn't mind it at all. She takes 2 nights/3 days. Normally gets to PA the first night, Carolinas the second then into Florida the 3rd day. She goes the 81/77 etc... route, so it bypasses all the major cities (Boston, NY, DC and Baltimore). No tolls, far less traffic, beautiful scenery going through the Virginia mountains. She has flown as well.

Also, everyone always assumes that flying means more days in Disney, but no, it doesn't always. A budget is a budget. So, if flying is going to cost you $600 more to get there and eats up your budget, then, no you don't get to have any more days in Florida. We actually are going to get to spend more time in Florida BECAUSE we are driving and saving that money.

My mother in law drives down every year from New Brunswick (27 hours). She doesn't mind it at all. She takes 2 nights/3 days. Normally gets to PA the first night, Carolinas the second then into Florida the 3rd day. She goes the 81/77 etc... route, so it bypasses all the major cities (Boston, NY, DC and Baltimore). No tolls, far less traffic, beautiful scenery going through the Virginia mountains. She has flown as well.

Also, everyone always assumes that flying means more days in Disney, but no, it doesn't always. A budget is a budget. So, if flying is going to cost you $600 more to get there and eats up your budget, then, no you don't get to have any more days in Florida. We actually are going to get to spend more time in Florida BECAUSE we are driving and saving that money.

I agree - flying can be totally overrated. For me, if I flew out of Pearson in Toronto it would cost me time-wise at least 10 hrs in travel (getting to the airport, waiting for international departure and arrival, and time in the air). So flying pretty much = 1 day each way and it's draining. Driving is more relaxed and rally only take an extra 1/2 - 3/4 of a day each way.

For me, the only advantage to flying is that you save yourself 1-2 days of vacation time. Driving comes out better in almost every other aspect IMHO

We drove straight through from Barrie in October. It was ok but I don't think we would do it again. I always sleep in the car. ALWAYS. I could not sleep on the drive down. I am not sure if it was excitement or anxiety but I slept about 2 hours total. We took I75 and it was a nice drive. We stopped for one night on the way home and it was so much better. We were all in a better mood and more relaxed.

We drive every year from Ottawa. We leave at 5am on a Saturday (always on a weekend to avoid Baltimore/ DC traffic!), stop for the night in Wilson, NC (usually between 6pm-7pm), leave the next morning around 7am and get to our Disney resort around 4pm. That includes several food and bathroom breaks (as we travel with our 2 young daughters). Don't have to worry about renting a car or paying for expensive flights. It's really not bad at all and we actually enjoy the drive. We make it a part of our vacation!

We've made the decision to drive and the two drivers (not me) are voting for driving straight through. my kids are great at sleeping in a car, so it should be fine. We'll stop for food along the way and my bff is used to night driving anyway, so for her its not a big deal.

We drove a couple years ago and didn't mind it at all with our two young kids (10 and 5). We're heading back in a couple weeks and will do the drive with them again, they are now 12 and 7. My wife and I alternate but we start out early around 5:00am and drive lots the first day so we have less to do the second day.

I don't like wasting time on the road, plus you have to concentrate and pay attention the whole trip, you will be exhausted by the time you get there. Unless you are staying there for more than a few weeks, I don't think it worth it.

We drive every year from Ottawa. We leave at 5am on a Saturday (always on a weekend to avoid Baltimore/ DC traffic!), stop for the night in Wilson, NC (usually between 6pm-7pm), leave the next morning around 7am and get to our Disney resort around 4pm. That includes several food and bathroom breaks (as we travel with our 2 young daughters). Don't have to worry about renting a car or paying for expensive flights. It's really not bad at all and we actually enjoy the drive. We make it a part of our vacation!
Hi PeaMuff,

Any hotel recommendations for Wilson? We also drive from Ottawa, but will stay on I-81 to I-77 and stop at Charlotte NC, UNLESS there is inland weather in which case we will slip over to 1-95 earlier. Wilson looks to be about the same distance as Charlotte on the Eastern route. Also, have you considered I-66-SR17 to avoid all of the DC traffic - you don't really need to worry about time of day then. It is far enough away that traffic is manageable, but it does have a good stretch of 2-lane.

I don't like wasting time on the road, plus you have to concentrate and pay attention the whole trip, you will be exhausted by the time you get there. Unless you are staying there for more than a few weeks, I don't think it worth it.
I don't think it is really that big of a waste of time. Like I said, We leave one night at night and get there the next day for checkin. If you fly out on the morning of, you would get there the same time as me. Now as for the being tired part, if you split the drive between two or three people, it is not bad at all. If you commute to work in toronto from outside of toronto you might spend 2 to 4 hours in a car everyday so being in a car and driving for long periods is not an issue. Again, it all depends on the person.

This is how I look at it. If you fly, you have to be a pearson(for toronto people) 2 to 3 hours before your flight. The flight is roughly 3 hours. Add in an hour to get your luggage and maybe another hour to get to the hotel. You are at 8 hours right there. This does not include the time it takes to get to the airport. That is still a substantial amount of time. I know it is less than the 18 to 20 it takes me to drive but it is still a substantial amount.

We drove from montreal 2 years in a row. We only do 1 over night each way. The drive is fine and we dont have any issues. The only thing is if you are tired pull over, it can be dangerouse driving at night tired!

We are driving down for March Break in just over 3 weeks. Originally, I'd reserved an overnight in South Carolina for the trip down, but now we may try to drive straight through. My wife and 11 year old daughter assure me they're good with not stopping overnight. So....., plan to leave 11 pm (we're a 40 minute drive to the Peace Bridge), then stops for breakfast, lunch, and dinner + gas/washroom breaks, hope to arrive at our condo by 10-11pm. I will do all the driving, but I used to annually drive straight through to Cape Breton Island (24 hours), so although I'll be whacked by Kissimmee, I should be okay. Now the drive home, that will be challenging.

I don't think it's a waste at all. Driving you're in control. If you need a break, you stop, whenver, wherever, for however long. Especially beneficial with kids. I don't find driving any more tiring than having to drive several hours to an airport, stand around there waiting for flights, having to deal with connections, checking luggage, claiming luggage, sitting in cramped, uncomfortable seats, trying to get rental cars, install car seats etc...

Driving allows you to see what you want to see. We love driving places and have gotten to see many amazing things that otherwise would have been missed. But eeryone has their own priorities.

I see the benefits of both options. March we are driving, August flying, and for my solo October visit, I always fly. Driving alleviates the stressors of early airport arrival, parking, shuttle, baggage, flight delays, rentals etc. Driving, on the way there at least, is a large part of the experience. It builds the excitement as each State gets you closer to your destination, temperatures adjust, anticipation builds. Now the drive home is a bit more challenging, I agree. I do enjoy flying also, people watching at the airport, and especially the quicker turnaround (generally flying will take 7 hrs from the time we leave home for the airport, to arrival at the condo-direct flight, no delays). Driving is at least 22 hours with minimal stops. Having said that, driving next month will save us $1500 over flying (time of year), enough to pay for August's trip. Lots of klics on the car though.

We are driving next February - leaving about 2pm on, driving to Beckley WV, the following day will drive to Daytona Beach (by choice) and then the next day into cocoa beach where we'll spend the night before getting on the ship. Coming home, probably just one stop.

I live in Windsor which borders Detroit. Drove once and will never again. Been flying ever since. 2.5 hours and your there! Sure, driving would save money but Id rather fly early in the morning and have the entire day to do whatever I wanted. The Magical Express makes things so easy arriving to your hotel from the airport and visa versa.

We're driving this weekend from the Ottawa area. The weather will decide whether we leave Friday morning and take the day off work, Friday after work, or Saturday morning. I'm leaning towards Friday after work to try and avoid the forecasted snow for the North Eastern Seaboard on Sunday. My wife and I enjoy the family time in the car and being able to stop whenever we need. The kids enjoy it and don't complain at all. Their ipads are already loaded with movies for them. :)

We're driving this weekend from the Ottawa area. The weather will decide whether we leave Friday morning and take the day off work, Friday after work, or Saturday morning. I'm leaning towards Friday after work to try and avoid the forecasted snow for the North Eastern Seaboard on Sunday. My wife and I enjoy the family time in the car and being able to stop whenever we need. The kids enjoy it and don't complain at all. Their ipads are already loaded with movies for them. :)

Hi there!:wave2: We are trying to decide exactly the same thing. We're leaving from near Trenton and going as far as Hagerstown the first night. Will probably leave on Friday. But right now its looking like a wintery mix of snow , freezing rain and ice all the way to Statesville on Sat. So we're considering leaving I77 at Staunton and cutting over to the I95 at Richmond instead of going all the way down the 77 to the 26. What route will you be taking?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter