Give me your best advice

jhoannam

Planner-aholic
Option 1: 5 day cruise in Ocean view (9B)
Option 2: 4 day cruise in verandah (5B)
These are Baja cruises in 2019.
Same price - DH wants Option 2, I want option 1.
We've only sailed once and it was in at Cat 5B, it was only $300 more than OV. It was totally worth it, but this time it's $800 more and I don't think it's worth it. I would rather spend that money on an extra night. Give me your best oceanview reviews.

We've only sailed once and it was in at Cat 5B, it was only $300 more than OV. It was totally worth it, but this time it's $800 more and I don't think it's worth it. I would rather spend that money on an extra night. Give me your best oceanview reviews.
I'm firmly in the "longer is better" camp, so 5 night cruise wins. Oceanview is our regular choice.

Who likes Disney cruises more? If it's you, I'd pick option 2 to keep hubby happy & onboard for future cruises.

If you both love DCL, I'd pick option 1. We've had great DCL cruises even in inside staterooms.

Last edited:
We like portholes for mostly ocean cruises and verandahs for close to shore type (EBPC and Alaska). If we could afford it, however, we would have verandahs all the time. Never been on a DCL cruise (of 8) that was shorter than 7 days...longer, the better.

To quote Motel 6 "all rooms look the same when you turn off the light!" We actually love Deck 2!! So close to the Adult areas at night!!

I agree with you, an extra day is always better. Does your dh plan on spending the majority of the cruise just sitting out on the verandah? Probably not. We stay in OV rooms on deck 2 and have always enjoyed them, we also have never done a cruise that's less than 7 nights. We are hardly in our cabin, really just to sleep in and get ready for the day, there's too much to do on the ship to spend time in the cabin. If I want to sit and enjoy the ocean, there's plenty of places to do it on the ship. Just remind him of everything you'd be able to do with an extra day: see extra shows both live and movies, extra meals in MDR, palo/remy meal, have an extra day to do tasting classes(food or alcohol), extra time to go to the spa, go to the adult areas at night, ride the aquaduck/dunk depending on the ship, Goofy's sport deck, mid-ship detective agency, however not sure, but if it's a baja cruise does that mean it's on the Wonder, if so the Wonder won't have the aquaduck/dunk or MDA. We never seem to have enough time to do every thing we want to on a 7 night, can't imagine trying to do everything on a 4 night.

I agree with the previous comments about the longer the cruise the better. Personally I don't spend that much time in my stateroom aside from just sleeping so I found that a veranda stateroom was just a waste because I never used it. I prefer an ocean view stateroom.

Last edited:
I agree with the previous comments about the longer the cruise the better. Personally I don't spend that much time in my stateroom aside form just sleeping so I found that a veranda stateroom was just a waste because I never used it. I prefer an ocean view stateroom.

We are normally exploring the ship so I would go with the longer is better category. With both cruises the same price, the extra money you save going with an oceanview you can spend on other things.

While I am also in the longer cruise camp, deciding factor would be how many sea days are involved. It is very relaxing to sit out on your verandah and enjoy a nice siesta while enjoying the sea breeze.

I like verandas a lot. I know the arguments against them.

But here is the thing to me, it is just two different types of cruises. On a veranda cruise, you spend more time in your cabin. You sit on your verandah and stare at the waves. You order room service and sleep in. On an non-veranda cruise, you spend more time on a quiet deck staring at the ocean. You leave the room earlier and get started somewhere.

Both are good. Now if one of those sounds MUCH better than the other, do that, but if they both sound great, go with the longer one! As you say, sometimes the difference in price is small. Those are the times to do Verandas. When they are a lot more, skip them.

For that matter, how much would an inside cabin save you? That money can go straight into port excursions or alcohol or massages, or whatever you like to do on a cruise, if you won't be in the cabin much anyway on that trip.

Your call. Let us know what you decide!

One of our favorite cruises was our 5 day. It was the perfect amount of time. We also only book oceanview or balcony and we liked them both! A cruise is a wonderful place to be and I don't think you can go wrong with either!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter