Give your best Plane Horror story

A couple of years ago DH had a work trip to San Francisco and he asked if I wanted to go with him... by the time we booked my tickets his plane was full so I said it was no big deal I would follow him the next day.

He leaves on Monday and Tuesday AM I get up early and leave to drop Dash at the kennel, before heading to the airport. There was an ice storm hitting the area, but my flight still said it was on time. The roads were horrific, trees snapping and landing on the roads, ice everywhere.

I got to the airport early and went to my gate to wait... they were just finishing up sending a passenger down the jetway as I arrived. I sat down to wait, knowing my plane was another 2 hours. The desk agents asked if I was on that plane they were boarding and I told them "no, I was just early for the next plane". They told me it was going to Minneapolis too, which is where I was going and did I want to get on this one to make sure I left before the storm hit even worse. Then I could just catch my second flight from there, no problems. My luggage would be on my regular flight, but would catch up with me in Minneapolis and it would arrive with me in SF. I wish I had just said no, but I was nervous the storm could delay me and I had no idea of what was really going on behind the scenes.

They get me a new ticket and I rush to board the plane, feeling horrible that I am delaying them from take-off. Someone is sitting in my seat, and asks if I just want to take their seat farther back. They were 2 people traveling together so I didn't mind at all, other than the farther walk as I felt bad going by each row and apologized as I was going along.

Get to my seat and see one of DH's co-workers in the row in front of me, so I say hi quick as I go by and get my bag stored and hook my seat belt. Then I start noticing people are half standing up and chatting away with people in other rows. I start talking to the co-worker and find out this is the flight that was supposed to leave 90 minutes earlier, not right now as I was led to believe as the gate agents hurried me along after getting me a new ticket. This plane had sat there all night and was iced over and they were waiting for the truck to come do that. Turns out the passenger that I saw boarding the plane as I arrived at the gate was also on my original plane, and she was asked to get on this "early" flight as well.

Eventually after maybe 40 minutes we backed away from the gate to be de-iced... then the truck was empty and had to refill. then a nozzle was froze, then they ran out of de-icer. This went on for hours, and I missed my original flight because I was put on a plane that wasn't going anywhere.

They pulled back up to the gate and let us off to get lunch, we still had not seen a truck at that point, just announcements from the pilot. Everyone was rebooking their connecting flights, but I still had time if we left soon. We re-boarded and sat for another 4 to 5 hours and pulled back to the gate again. Tons of people bailed at this point and went home or to a hotel. I kept getting hopeful information so I stuck with it. I rebooked a 7:30 pm connecting flight, so I had 2 1/2 hours to catch it (only had an hour flight to get there). The truck finally showed up and was working so they re-boarded us a 3rd time and we backed up again and after being de-iced we took off at 6:30pm, I literally missed my connection by 2 minutes.

Now I was stuck in Minneapolis and the ice storm had arrived there, so I spent the night trying to sleep at a gate. The next day, I was able to board a plane and get to SF finally... 28 hours later!

The best part of it all? My luggage made it to SF on time, on the plane I should have been on. If the gate agents hadn't asked me to switch planes, none of that would have happened. I was not a happy camper and fought with the airline a long time before they made it right. They kept saying it wasn't their problem because it was a weather delay. I kept telling them it wasn't a weather delay that prevented me from going, it was that their gate agents put me on a plane they knew wasn't going anywhere, it had already been sitting there with passengers for 90 minutes before I arrived. I never approached them, I simply sat down to wait for my flight. They came and asked me to get on that plane... why would I ever suspect they were putting me on a plane that wasn't leaving. Finally someone at the airline agreed with me and it was made right, but that airline nearly lost us as customers over it. I still have flashbacks to sitting on that plane for almost 9 hours whenever I hear we need to be de-iced. Thankfully we were able to get off 2 times for a short time, I can't imagine being trapped the entire time like some people have been.

It's beginning to dawn on me why I've always been a shaky flyer. When I was 18, my brother & sis-in-law asked me to be their second daughter's godmother. I live in California, they were in Texas. They told me I didn't need to be there, that they could use a proxy, but I wanted to be an adult & do it right! I had never flown alone & this was right after Christmas. I was snowed in in Midland Texas! (I love to tell people that "I spent a month one week in Texas"!)

The flight home (first leg?) was so turbulent! I was stressed enough as it was (I was there for New Years Eve, not that I was looking to party & they were young parents with a 2 year old and a 4 week old!) I was going to miss class if I didn't get out of Texas pronto!

I need Atavan to fly now!

First flight: lost an engine, Second flight: terrible turbulence, Third: turbulence which caused the serving cart to hit the ceiling and then wind shear when we landed with the luggage hold rattling luggage against the floor and the wing nearly touched the tarmac:sick:....needless to say they shut down the airport right after we landed. I'm a great believer that when it's your time it's your time....my problem is, what if it's the pilot's time or my seatmate? I don't want to go with them.:rotfl2: I still fly because I live in the middle of nowhere but it's not fun. Now if I could be the backseat flyer things would go much smoother..:rotfl:

Strike 1
Strike 2
And a BIG Strike 3!

No way you'd get me on another plane after seeing the cart smack the ceiling. I've experienced horrendous turbulence I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, but not THAT horrendous!!! Nope, nope, nope!!!

mine's pretty tame~ SW flight from RSW to MDW. I was in the row right in front of the Exit row., window seat. All are boarded, but we are delayed. Waiting, waiting, finally a ground crew employee boards the plane and heads to the exit door behind me. A few minutes go by and I hear the passenger from the exit row (who is standing in the aisle) ask what's up. Reply from grounds crew is that the exit door has an issue and once it is repaired we will be cleared for take off. O.K., sounds reasonable...until I see the repair kit is DUCK TAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared1: I asked the guy,"are you seriously repairing the door with duck tape? THAT'S going to hold from here to Chicago? He smiled, said she's good to go...and left the plane. We took off 5 minutes later and I was veeeeeeery aware of what was behind me the whole flight. I'll be darned , the door held. Now , my brain says the dude was just messing with us, that there was a more substantial repair under the duck tape, but my eyes saw nothing but the tape being done. I guess I will never know.

Some of these stories are well, ewwwww! Right when the "swine flu" was starting, before they even started calling it H1N1 we were on a flight from Detroit to LA and there was a mom, dad and ~5 year old boy right in front of us. The mom and son were so terribly ill hacking, coughing and sneezing uncontrollably. We were sure we were going to end up with swine flu the whole flight and our trip ruined. We did survive and were healthy throughout our 10 day trip.

Oh, I did forget one strange thing. I was flying back home from Dallas in May 2002 when I was going through security. I was there for a college business competition, and had my university-issued laptop. The TSA agent told me a had a metal file hidden in my laptop. They told me I would have to leave my laptop that it wasn't going on the plane. I was like are you kidding me? I didn't know what in the world I was going to do. I didn't really understand what my rights were and I had seen all these TSA horror stories even back then. As I was explaining it was a lease, I was a student, there for a conference . . . and they were just arguing with me, an older guy TSA agent came over and took my laptop, rescanned it and gave me my laptop and told me to have a good flight. I wonder if those TSA people were just going to steal my laptop. It would have been pretty damn foolish of them because my university would track those damn things to the end of the earth.

Back in November of 2001 , I was flying home from college for the Thanksgiving holiday on Southwest Airlines. At one point during the flight the pilot got on the speaker and said "We're about to go through some really rough turbulence, so everyone including the flight attendants need to buckle up." When the pilot says the flight attendants have to buckle up, you know it's going to be BAD!!!!! It was, and I freaked out, but made it home to my parents safely.

when my niece was 2yrs4mos she was fully potty trained.
we were on our way home from disney world and had to sit on the plane for an hour before take off. as we were taxiing to the run way my niece really had to pee but we were not allowed to get up to take her to the bathroom.
the flight attendant was very rude when we were trying to figure out what to do and she told us that she better not pee on the seat. ridiculous i know!
another passenger suggested a barf bag. it was a great suggestion. she managed to pee in it without a mess. we then handed the barf bag to the flight attendant and told her to have a nice day.

rather timely this thread-just though about it recently-not a 'best' by any means but by far our most memorable airline horror-

in early September of 2005 we were booked for a non stop flight from California to Florida. mid way through the flight the pilot made an announcement that we would be making an unannounced landing, not to be concerned, no one would miss connecting flights, and that more information would be forthcoming............. a bit later as our plane began descending it was announced that we were landing in New Orleans..........to transport katrina survivors:guilty::guilty::guilty::guilty::guilty::guilty:

I cannot describe the atmosphere inside that airliner as we started descending..........seeing the devastation......... people on their rooftops still holding out hope for rescue, the tarps on the remaining roofs- hand scrawled with pleas of help (or counts of the deceased inside...with slash marks through the lower digits as the numbers increased). I cannot imagine the horrific devastation of going through that horrendous experience, but I can say that flying into what was then (as far as the general public was aware) a closed airport surrounded by horrific death and devastation made all the news coverage pale grossly in comparison.

it's hard to believe it's only been 10 years ago-every time I board a plane it seems like yesterday.

Red eye flight, screaming baby, kicking tantrum 3 year old behind us whose mom had EXTREME bo. Longest 5 hour flight ever.

I was in Taiwan flying between Taipei and a more remote city, so on a local airline. We hit the WORST turbulence I have ever experienced. At first the flight attendants were cool with it and serving food. All of a sudden they just laid down on the floor and grabbed the seats around them to hold on. Several people around me got out their air sickness bags and began vomiting into them. All I could think was "I don't want to die here and don't throw up!!" It was a very long 10 minutes.

I'm pretty lucky, because my worst experience was being seated next to a Japanese lady who talked to me the entire flight from Cancun to Houston. She boarded with a large cup of coffee, and had "coffee breath", and I might have been a little hung over. Did I mention the entire two hour conversation was in Japanese, which I don't speak?? Even though I desperately wanted to sleep, I just smiled and politely listened to her

1) Arrived from first flight late, made us have to run on the "people moving walkway" to catch our connection and we were among the last half-dozen passengers to board. We were lucky to make it, figured our luggage wouldn't, but it did.

2) On the plane all ready to go when they made an announcement that there was a "small oil leak" so we needed to get off that plane and get onto another one. That whole process took about an hour. Some were complaining but I would rather they keep us safe and use another plane than take us up in the one with a leak.

3) A small child who delighted in emitting ear-splitting screams every few minutes, and the parents thought it was "cute."

Oh, and of course, the child who constantly kicks the back of your seat. I do tire of that pretty quickly.

Hmmm...thank the good lord I don't have a horrific experience but I have a couple of interesting ones. One happened just prior to boarding the flight.

I was going through TSA and suddenly, the TSA SCREAMED "NOBODY MOVE!! Everybody FREEZE!!"

I panicked and my heart started slamming against my chest. Surely somebody had a bomb! We were all about to die! I wanted to RUN!

A lady shifted her weight and he SCREAMED at her, "I said NOBODY MOVE!!!!"

We stood stock still for 30 seconds - waiting for the horrible terrible that was coming. Then.....

"Thank you for participating in our drill...carry on." :groom: Grrrr....that was so unacceptable.

I've been in turbulence, bumps over the ocean, had a lady go into a seizure mid flight (the commotion behind me scared the crapola out of me as I thought something super bad was happening) but the most interesting thing that happened wasn't horrific but kinda funny:

Many years ago, while returning from a visit to Mobile, I found myself on a plane, sitting across the aisle from George Plimpton. His face looked familiar but I couldn't for the life of me think of his name. Halfway into the flight, this familiar-yet-nameless face, leaned across the aisle and said, "Excuse me, but I seem to have lost my pen. Have you seen a pen on the ground?"

I shook my head no and politely asked if he would by chance be Ralph Nadar. (He looked familiar to me and I knew he must have been famous, but...)

He seemed to straighten up a bit, and said "No, my name is George Plimpton."

It wasn't so much an introduction as an announcement.

I said,"Hmm...no, can't say as I've ever heard of you," and continued to flip through my magazine. This wasn't the response he expected and he leaned in saying,"I've been on numerous television shows, wrote Paper Lion, was close friends with Robert Kennedy..."

"Nope, I'm sorry but that just doesn't sound familiar. I don't believe I've ever heard your name."

He continued to look for his pen, actually crawling on the floor at one point, checking between the seats. I felt sorry that he had lost his pen but honestly had never heard of George Plimpton.

The plane landed and I began the long walk to baggage claim. He came up to me once more and said,"I did several specials on television where I challenged professional athletes and spent time as a high-wire circus performer..."

He waited expectantly.

I paused, searched my memory and said,"No, that just doesn't ring a bell. I'M SORRY BUT I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF YOU.," and walked on.

In the world of autograph hounds, and obsessed fans, George Plimpton's encounter with me must have been a breath of fresh air, or at least a humbling experience! :rolleyes1 (And I honestly had never heard of him. Now, with internet, I see he was quite well known and hung with a lot of celebrities in his day.)

The worst flight I was ever on was in 2006. We were flying home from Vegas and our connection in Philly was delayed because of severe thunderstorms. We took off nearly 3 hours late (midnight at that point) and halfway through the flight I saw treetops out my window before we quickly went into a steady climb. The pilot had been attempting to land in Harrisburg thinking it was Scranton. The entire flight was just miserable; the storms were still active, the turbulence was head knocking, and I was convinced we were going to crash.

Hmmm...thank the good lord I don't have a horrific experience but I have a couple of interesting ones. One happened just prior to boarding the flight.

I was going through TSA and suddenly, the TSA SCREAMED "NOBODY MOVE!! Everybody FREEZE!!"

I panicked and my heart started slamming against my chest. Surely somebody had a bomb! We were all about to die! I wanted to RUN!

A lady shifted her weight and he SCREAMED at her, "I said NOBODY MOVE!!!!"

We stood stock still for 30 seconds - waiting for the horrible terrible that was coming. Then.....

"Thank you for participating in our drill...carry on." :groom: Grrrr....that was so unacceptable.

I've been in turbulence, bumps over the ocean, had a lady go into a seizure mid flight (the commotion behind me scared the crapola out of me as I thought something super bad was happening) but the most interesting thing that happened wasn't horrific but kinda funny:

Many years ago, while returning from a visit to Mobile, I found myself on a plane, sitting across the aisle from George Plimpton. His face looked familiar but I couldn't for the life of me think of his name. Halfway into the flight, this familiar-yet-nameless face, leaned across the aisle and said, "Excuse me, but I seem to have lost my pen. Have you seen a pen on the ground?"

I shook my head no and politely asked if he would by chance be Ralph Nadar. (He looked familiar to me and I knew he must have been famous, but...)

He seemed to straighten up a bit, and said "No, my name is George Plimpton."

It wasn't so much an introduction as an announcement.

I said,"Hmm...no, can't say as I've ever heard of you," and continued to flip through my magazine. This wasn't the response he expected and he leaned in saying,"I've been on numerous television shows, wrote Paper Lion, was close friends with Robert Kennedy..."

"Nope, I'm sorry but that just doesn't sound familiar. I don't believe I've ever heard your name."

He continued to look for his pen, actually crawling on the floor at one point, checking between the seats. I felt sorry that he had lost his pen but honestly had never heard of George Plimpton.

The plane landed and I began the long walk to baggage claim. He came up to me once more and said,"I did several specials on television where I challenged professional athletes and spent time as a high-wire circus performer..."

He waited expectantly.

I paused, searched my memory and said,"No, that just doesn't ring a bell. I'M SORRY BUT I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF YOU.," and walked on.

In the world of autograph hounds, and obsessed fans, George Plimpton's encounter with me must have been a breath of fresh air, or at least a humbling experience! :rolleyes1 (And I honestly had never heard of him. Now, with internet, I see he was quite well known and hung with a lot of celebrities in his day.)

OMG!!!!!!!!!! :scared1: :faint: I would have been freaked for sure! What airport was this at?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter