GKTW: Night of a Million Lights

buckeyeguy1

Mouseketeer
We went tonight (11/25) in the 8-10p time slot. We originally wanted to go last night, but didn’t want to buy tickets until we got down here in the event our trip got canceled. They were sold out on Tues so we opted for tonight.

I was a little apprehensive at first to wonder off Disney property as I don’t know how safety precautions are being enforced elsewhere. I can say this event was absolutely FANTASTIC!! They sell the tickets in 2 hr time slots to avoid over crowding. You don’t have to leave after your time slot, you just have to arriving that time. Tonight’s event was sold out. Personally, it felt like they could have easily allowed 25% more people in and we would have still felt plenty comfortable. The rules are pretty much a mirror image of WDW. Guests were really good with mask compliance.

We arrived right at 8p. Parking was easy and we were through temp check and in the gate in no time. We had purchased a couple extras when we bought our tickets and you go to a separate table where they will scan the QR code’s from your receipt and give you your items. They had everything to purchase there. Just keep in mind that it’s all credit card and I believe PayPal. They didn’t take cash or Apple Pay.

We were amazed at how big it was and how much of the property was actually decorated. Each villa is sponsored by a company and many have theming related to their business. We made sure to check out the DUT villa which looked great! Don’t go thinking you are going to see Osborne lights as it’s not a synced type of show. It’s as if an entire neighborhood decorated to the max and you get to walk through it. They also pipe in Christmas music throughout the village.

They had a Whack-a-mole game that you could buy tickets for and win prizes. They were wiping everything down thoroughly after each player. The kiddo had fun with it. It is an extra cost, but all the proceeds go to GKTW.

We watched a short preview on the YouTubes a couple weeks ago about it and kind of expected to be there for 45 min or so. We ended up staying just shy of 2 hours. It’s a fair amount of walking, so be ready for that. I think the video we saw said there were around 3.3 million lights in all and most were donated from Disney.

After attending this event and seeing the village, I have a greater understanding of what GKTW truly is. This isn’t just a resort with rooms to house families. This is a getaway of its own outside of the parks. A place that has a lot of activities to where if the child or family don’t have it in them to grind away at a park for the day, they can still have a lot of great activities that are accessible and close to “home”. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend purchasing some tickets and having some fun!!

Yes I went last week in the early time slot and really enjoyed everything!
On Monday I will be staying at Gaylord for their holiday themed POP UP Movies and atrium lights Plus lots of activities ($$). I booked the Atrium Balcony room and their light show is 2 times nightly.
I went for their Halloween this year and thought it was great fun. Everything is in their interior bubble environment . I was envious of guests relaxing on their balconies all night long... and I have a free reward night on credit card !

After attending this event and seeing the village, I have a greater understanding of what GKTW truly is. This isn’t just a resort with rooms to house families. This is a getaway of its own outside of the parks. A place that has a lot of activities to where if the child or family don’t have it in them to grind away at a park for the day, they can still have a lot of great activities that are accessible and close to “home”.

Thanks for your report! It is a wonderful place.

We are sad that we will miss seeing the Village this year. We are snowbirds and volunteer at the Village. But not this year, we are isolating up north this winter.

Thanks for the review! Headed there tonight. How does the ice cream and hot chocolate work?
We went last week. The ice cream and hot chocolate is in the pool area. The ice cream was single serve cups of breyers. They had vanilla and chocolate. We did not get the hot chocolate so I’m not sure how it was being served.

Oh my gosh, it was amazing and so well run. Not crowded at all. And with a child who has disabilities, it was amazing to have a place that was completely accessible. Santa was there and was perfect with my daughter who is nonverbal, including signing to her. Absolutely wonderful.

We are GTKTW alumni ( we were a wish family) as well as volunteers. If anyone has time to spare they still need volunteers almost every night. The volunteer training and background checks is online and is done at home. We have volunteered every vacation in the last 4 years.

Thanks you all for visiting and donating to them.
They gave our son a trip of a lifetime because of people like you. It takes a lot of money to go over a year with out one family visiting to stay afloat.

We have tickets for Monday, but are monitoring the weather. The cold front (storms) is targeted to be coming right when we are planning to be there. We are local, but don't mind not going knowing the monies are going to them.

We went tonight (11/25) in the 8-10p time slot. We originally wanted to go last night, but didn’t want to buy tickets until we got down here in the event our trip got canceled. They were sold out on Tues so we opted for tonight.

I was a little apprehensive at first to wonder off Disney property as I don’t know how safety precautions are being enforced elsewhere. I can say this event was absolutely FANTASTIC!! They sell the tickets in 2 hr time slots to avoid over crowding. You don’t have to leave after your time slot, you just have to arriving that time. Tonight’s event was sold out. Personally, it felt like they could have easily allowed 25% more people in and we would have still felt plenty comfortable. The rules are pretty much a mirror image of WDW. Guests were really good with mask compliance.

We arrived right at 8p. Parking was easy and we were through temp check and in the gate in no time. We had purchased a couple extras when we bought our tickets and you go to a separate table where they will scan the QR code’s from your receipt and give you your items. They had everything to purchase there. Just keep in mind that it’s all credit card and I believe PayPal. They didn’t take cash or Apple Pay.

We were amazed at how big it was and how much of the property was actually decorated. Each villa is sponsored by a company and many have theming related to their business. We made sure to check out the DUT villa which looked great! Don’t go thinking you are going to see Osborne lights as it’s not a synced type of show. It’s as if an entire neighborhood decorated to the max and you get to walk through it. They also pipe in Christmas music throughout the village.

They had a Whack-a-mole game that you could buy tickets for and win prizes. They were wiping everything down thoroughly after each player. The kiddo had fun with it. It is an extra cost, but all the proceeds go to GKTW.

We watched a short preview on the YouTubes a couple weeks ago about it and kind of expected to be there for 45 min or so. We ended up staying just shy of 2 hours. It’s a fair amount of walking, so be ready for that. I think the video we saw said there were around 3.3 million lights in all and most were donated from Disney.

After attending this event and seeing the village, I have a greater understanding of what GKTW truly is. This isn’t just a resort with rooms to house families. This is a getaway of its own outside of the parks. A place that has a lot of activities to where if the child or family don’t have it in them to grind away at a park for the day, they can still have a lot of great activities that are accessible and close to “home”. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend purchasing some tickets and having some fun!!
What is GKTW: Million Lights? We are not aware of this event.

Well said OP. We went this past Tuesday - it was a wonderful and quite moving experience. Cannot recommend it enough.

We are canceling our December trip and going to FL in early January instead. We wanted to do this! I just checked the dates and it closes on 1/3... we will arrive 1/4.

Waaah! Now that we've finalized our dates I tried to get tickets, and they're sold out for the night we wanted!

So if you want to go and haven't gotten your tickets yet, buy them NOW!!!!

Waaah! Now that we've finalized our dates I tried to get tickets, and they're sold out for the night we wanted!

So if you want to go and haven't gotten your tickets yet, buy them NOW!!!!

I checked again today and there are more tickets available! It helps if you're willing to buy tickets for the first or last hours of the evening, but at least there are tickets available again! I got mine! :yay:

So excited for this event, we are going December 28th! We will be in Disney Christmas thru new year and thought this would be something fun to try off property.

We went on Nov. 18th in the 8:00 - 10:00 pm timeslot & it was fantastic. I enjoyed it more than the Osborne Lights because there were no crowds & we could really take our time to look at the displays without feeling rushed. The bonus was that it helps a fantastic charity!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter