• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gktw???

It had a letter from May Clayton, a letter telling what to bring, and what's available. Info on whom to call if you flights delayed. And it said right on the letter that we'll get a 3 day hopper to Disney, a 1 day hopper to universal, and a 1 day hopper to Seaworld. I'll post tomorrow night after Benji's party to tell you all whatever other info we get!!!

AmazingGrace...can't wait to here about Benji's party. Were you able to invite family and friends, or is it just the wish people?? Our wish coordinator mentioned doing a bon voyage party for us when we get closer....should be fun. I just didn't know if she ment just our family and the wish folks...or if we were supose to invite family and friends.

meeshi...I'll have to ask Keelers...our medical supply company about shipping. Do you have your things (pediasure) shipped (ie UPS or some shipping company) to your house...or delivered (brought by the supply company)? I just ask...because we have our's delivered to the house from Keelers...the medical supply co. But her meds are shipped...UPS to the house. So with them being delivered and not shipped...I'm not sure what they will have to say about it. I also don't want to screw anything up with the insurance....and have them for some reason denie the billing.

Another question....about GKTW...well a couple...
Does anyone know if they have strollers to use. And if so are they hard to get? I am guessing they have things like laundry soap, and dish soap...am I guessing right? And how about hand and body soap or shampoo and/or conditioner? Just trying to get an idea of things we may need to get.

Jill....At that time we had dd's pediasure shipped UPS from the medical supply company. Now we're using a different company and they deliver it themselves. But I'm sure they could still arrange for it to be shipped UPS, I mean really, it can't be that hard. I'm sure they must ship to other places and have an account. I would definately look into it.

As far as laundry detergent and things. Yes, they did have some laundry detergent and fabric softener sheets, dish soap, and little soaps, shampoos and conditioners like you'd get in a hotel. They also have a blow dryer in the bathroom and an iron so you don't need to pack those. I don't know about strollers, maybe someone else knows that answer.

Loriann..... They'll tell you this at orientation, but I just wanted to give you a heads up. They give you a 1 day park hopper for Universal, but you are able to get a second one if you want. My kids had such a blast at Islands of Adventure they wanted to go back. You just ask for them at the desk. Can't wait to hear how Benji's party went!

:jumping3: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I don't remember regular strollers only the ones for the pool.

Loriann, I can't remember how old Benji is but if he is the right age and you think he would like it don't forget to sign up for Mayor Clayton to tuck him in one night. It's a very special time!

I have been reading up on GKTW.

It sounds like an awsome place for kids and families!

We are still struggling to even find out if DD would qualify right now. ( have not done any inquiries yet)

I have a couple questions for you guys here in the lower 48.

how long does it take from start to finish to get all the paperwork and such done to get a wish approved?

are there any restrictions on when you go?
how many in the family are included if any? like parents, siblings, grandparents

I have read that it goes thru a "board" and they contact your Dr's if you are the one to contact them.

just trying to get an idea on time frame.

DD really wants to spend christmas at WDW. we are still up in the air for the next couple of months to see if her last procedure is going to work or if she will go on transplant list. I would think that her Dr would advise going before, because after you would be on imunosypressent drugs.

thanks

Benji's party was tonight!!! We got our fight itinerary a boat load of info, and an expense check of $1,700!!:earseek: I was shocked and touched. Benji is so excited!! The only thing I'm not thrilled with, is that we have to be at the Airport at 6:30 AM, a two hour drive from our house. Oh, well, I'll sleep on the plane.
WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!!!! :jumping1: :jumping1:

:thewave: Hurray!!!!

We were picked up at 4:00AM when we went. We were told they like to get you there early and have you leave late so you get more time down there. You probably won't get much sleep that night anyway!! :Pinkbounc :bounce:

:earseek: :earseek: $1700. WOW!!! You'll have a BLAST going through that:teeth: . Benji is going to have the best time.

Did you have any idea of what time your flights were before the party?? We were sent an iternary a couple weeks ago for our Sept. trip. Our flight leaves at 5:15 in the morning.:eek: ....Then we have a layover in Seattle for close to three hours. :( Luckly the airport here in town is small, so we don't need to be there to early.

Anne MN....It didn't take long at all for our daughter to get granted her wish. I have a coworkder who referred her (our daughter)...less than a week after her referal I recieved a phone call from the wish coordinator asking if we would be intrested in seeing if she would be able to get a wish. After telling the wish lady we would be intrested in hearing about it...she mailed me formes...about Sydney's conditions and medical release forms to make sure she has what we said she has...After that...I'd say about two...maybe three weeks we recieced another phone call from the wish coordinator wanting to meet Sydney and talk to her about her wishes...At that time she told us to have Sydney think of three things, places, people....what ever...that she would want....Once Heidi (our wish lady) came...and Sydney told her her wishes...she just looked at her and told her right there in the living room that they would be able to grant her one of her wishes and they would like to send her to see Mickey Mouse and the Princess at WDW and DCL. We were all shocked and stunned that she was able to tell us right then and there. That was late last summer. We had planned on going this past spring...but for reasons we had to postpone untill the fall. But Heidi did say it takes them a couple to three months to arrange everything. In all from the time the wish foundation recieved Sydneys name for referal until the okay we will send you on the trip was maybe a month.

As for the family memebers...we were told everyone living in the household. We tryed to get it approved for ganny to go also...but since she dosn't live with us they said no....But they did say she was welcome to go...at her own expence (except for GKTW would be no charge...so just her flight, food, and park fees...and what ever else she wanted...I was also guessing the food at GKTW would be no charge also.)

Keep in mind each wish foundation/orginazation could be diffrent. And have diffrent guide lines on family members, and apporval processes.

For Make a Wish they will only grant one wish per family...so if WDW is chosen then you cannot also get DCL since that is considered two wishes. They ( Make a Wish) also only grant the 3 or 4 night cruises on DCL....not the 7 night cruise. As was mentioned, other organizations might have different guidelines. ---Kathy

The one wish per family is the same for our wish group. However they are considering ours "one" wish.....And from what I have heard....once you are granted a wish from one wish group you can not be granted another one from any other wish group. From the sounds of it Make a Wish is the largest wishing group....which may have ways of getting more for wishes.

Anne MN, the wish foundation that you go through can possible rush through your dd's wish especially if she gets on the transplant list.

Loriann, I am so glad the party went good.

dclfun, did you mean they would only grant one wish per child or family? We have two daughters who qualify for wishes because they both have terminal illnesses. One was granted her wish in 2000 and the other one will have her wish granted some time this year. MAW is aware that our other dd has had her wish granted. I am just wondering if this is something I should check into if it's indeed only one wish per family.

I have been searching many web pages-
doesn't give a time frame or any indication of what they consider medicaly eligable.

I know that she struggles with this- does not know about poss of transplant.

asked her the other day if she could go anywhere/meet anyone/ do anything, she chose Disneyworld.

DH said the other day that he may just send me and DD down for a week by ourselves instead of the whole family (we are booked for a grand gathering)

I would like some guidelines on what they consider medicaly eligable-

she is such a happy and upbeat kid- takes everything in stride-
she has had so much to deal with this year, and she is at the age where she is starting to understand some of what the Dr's say-

I don't want to exclued her, but at the same time don't want to scare her when talking to Dr.

I just would like some sort of answer- she will deal with this her whole life

mommie2angels- Each child is granted one wish, not just each family, thus both your daughters would qualify. I do know Make a Wish Foundation ( not the other wish programs) considers WDW to be one wish and DCL to be another, and will only grant the 3 and 4 night cruises. I know folks who have gotten the land and sea vacation through a different foundation or who's local community raised funds for them to have the land/sea vs. just the cruise or just WDW. As for who qualifies any child with a "life threatening" illness is eligible. I was a bit disgusted to hear that someone with a peanut allergy got a wish as to me while it certainly could be life threatening, this person is healthy and just needs to avoid peanuts! Alot of children who are granted wishes are not terminally ill but do have chronic illnesses that they'll have through adulthood, so the criteria must be fairly broad. Kathy

Originally posted by Anne MN
I have been searching many web pages-
doesn't give a time frame or any indication of what they consider medicaly eligable.

I know that she struggles with this- does not know about poss of transplant.

asked her the other day if she could go anywhere/meet anyone/ do anything, she chose Disneyworld.

DH said the other day that he may just send me and DD down for a week by ourselves instead of the whole family (we are booked for a grand gathering)

I would like some guidelines on what they consider medicaly eligable-

she is such a happy and upbeat kid- takes everything in stride-
she has had so much to deal with this year, and she is at the age where she is starting to understand some of what the Dr's say-

I don't want to exclued her, but at the same time don't want to scare her when talking to Dr.

I just would like some sort of answer- she will deal with this her whole life

I would talk to your dd's dr and see if he/she would be willing to refer your dd. You could call MAW or whatever wish granting organization yourself, but they would need to get approval from the doctor anyway. I have a brochure from GKTW that they gave us to pass on to other families with children who may be eligible. I would be more than happy to send it to you for you to give to your dd's dr. Or you could call GKTW at 1-800-995-KIDS.

I'd go ahead and call the wish foundation your self...and inquire about wishes for your daughter. When our wish grantor contacted us she asked first thing if we had ever looked into a wish. And yes they will have to contact your Dr. but they'll first have to have your premission.

AmazingGrace...you have just a few days to go...are ya all packed and ready??? How is Benji handling the last few days...I'm guessing our house will be CRAZY that last week....with WAY to much excitement. And with your husband just getting back i'm sure the excitement in the air is THICK. What a great time for you and your family ::yes::

I wanted to see if you would check out a couple thing for me while you were at GKTW. I haven't been able to get any real answers on if they have a shuttle or any transportation from the Orlando airport to GKTW....and each time I've called I keep forgetting to ask about the hours of the Ice Cream Parlor...is it really open 24 hours a day???

I know you'll be reall busy with your trip..so if you don't have time no biggy...but if while your out on your daily adventures and you happen to find out that would be wonderful.:hyper: Oh another thing...if you think of it...how long is the drive from the airport to GKTW and from GKTW to WDW??

I can't wait to hear all about your familys trip. ::yes::

While your there don't forget to check out the free photos at all the diffrent spots.:D

It's no trouble at all. I'll keep your questions in mind. We have just started packing. The info sheet told us to bringe no more than one piece of luggage for each of us, so we're bringing a lage suitcase, an empty medium suitcase, and a toiletry bag, and the kid's booster car seats. We got our digital camera on Saturday, and Rick and i sat up late last night discussing and fine tuning our itinerary. He's taking off on Thursday afternoon from work. Benji is getting excited, but so are we, so this'll be an interesting week around here.
If any of you on here have anymore questions, now is the time to ask!!!

Loriann, as you walk out the back of the main check in building at GKTW if you go straight out the door and almost to the walkway of the train station/game room look down at the pavers and you may see our daughter's paver. It looks like this.

Also when you walk in the Gingerbread house and look up at the left corner over the serving area you can see the doll that our daughter donated to GKTW. It's the Cabbage Patch Doll from the Atlanta Olympics.

Have a great time!!!

Wow!! One bag each...I just can't imagine being able to fit everything into one bag each. But I guess it would depend on what size bag everyone has. We each have a smaller "carryon size" bag...and for the life of me I can't see how were going to pack everything in just that. Then again I'm thinking of the "equiptment" and some pediasure shakes. I wonder why they limit the baggage so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter