Glass shower door question

thinkerbell

DIS Veteran
We just moved into a new home. The outside shower wall and door are glass. There is a rubber/plastic sweep at the bottom of the door to keep water from going out onto the floor. There isn’t a seal on the side of the door that opens so it does leak a little bit. There is a very small gap between the door and the glass wall next to it. I know I’ve seen them on shower doors in hotels but I can’t find one online. Maybe I just don’t know what it is called. Anyone know where to order one?

Like this? I googled shower door gap filler and several options came up. Not sure if this is what you meant -

TSMST Glass Shower Door Seal Strip, 120 Inch Soft Shower Door Sweep Seal Strip to Stop Leaks for 3/8" Framelss Glass Door
Screenshot_20231008_093950_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Link was weird so here is a pic

We just moved into a new home. The outside shower wall and door are glass. There is a rubber/plastic sweep at the bottom of the door to keep water from going out onto the floor. There isn’t a seal on the side of the door that opens so it does leak a little bit. There is a very small gap between the door and the glass wall next to it. I know I’ve seen them on shower doors in hotels but I can’t find one online. Maybe I just don’t know what it is called. Anyone know where to order one?
My company builds 400 houses a year with glass shower enclosures. Most people don't want the rubber dam/fin installed on the vertical edges because of the way it looks. You might want to call a supplier/installer of glass and mirrors to have one added. It shouldn't be a very pricy job and at least you'll know the product is appropriate and the install method is professional.

Mine has the rubber strip. I would think that would be required by code as a safety issue. Not to keep water in the shower, but to act as a bumper between the glass shower door and the metal frame so the door doesn't shatter on impact with the metal frame.

I just went upstairs to look at our shower door (we have been living here 2.5 years). Yep, there is a clear plastic strip on the inside of the shower to seal the door/wall gap. Honestly never really noticed it!

Mine has the rubber strip. I would think that would be required by code as a safety issue. Not to keep water in the shower, but to act as a bumper between the glass shower door and the metal frame so the door doesn't shatter on impact with the metal frame.
No metal frames here, just glass door and glass wall. I've been looking at a lot of pictures for a remodel, have never seen a metal frame on a pull-open glass shower door/glass wall setup.

If your shower door doesn't have something to seal that opening, seems like a good idea to add it to keep water from getting all over the floor. Have also seen some examples on those TV home remodeling shows where the shower is just a raised pan on the floor and there are no surrounding walls. Water will likely splash all over the floor of the bathroom which also seems like a very bad design.

If your shower door doesn't have something to seal that opening, seems like a good idea to add it to keep water from getting all over the floor. Have also seen some examples on those TV home remodeling shows where the shower is just a raised pan on the floor and there are no surrounding walls. Water will likely splash all over the floor of the bathroom which also seems like a very bad design.
I stayed in London in a newly remodeled flat. The showers had walls but no door. The floor got soaked. It was dumb

hmmmmmmmmm-we have a frameless shower door with 2 glass panels/1 on each side (so it's a wall of glass). small, almost invisible strip between door and left panel of glass, nothing between door (where handle to open in and out is located) and left panel of glass. NO problem with leaking/spraying. when it was installed i asked about it and was told that so long as the doors/panels are hung exactly right (a slight, almost invisible tilt at the top) there should never be an issue-a year in and so far, so good. that said-we did get the glass that is treated to make water slide off so that may make a difference as well.

No metal frames here, just glass door and glass wall. I've been looking at a lot of pictures for a remodel, have never seen a metal frame on a pull-open glass shower door/glass wall setup.
This is what I am talking about. Left side is the pull open door. Right side is the glass wall. There is a stainless steel frame with a gray rubber seal between where the door closes and the frame. photo.jpg

Our guest shower has a glass door with a sweep but nothing against the wall. No water on the floor.
Our master doesn't have any type of door. We designed our house to be handicap accessible. Master is made to allow a wheelchair to roll in and out. Some water gets out but our entire house has a tile floor. We keep a squeegee on a pole to catch whatever gets out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter