Glassblowing/Jewell Gardens - Skagway?

librarianamy

Earning My Ears
I'm looking for folks who have gone to Jewell Gardens, either just to tour or to do the glassblowing experience, from a DISNEY cruise. From their website, it looks like most of the other cruise lines offer official excursions, but I'm curious if it's doable on our own from our upcoming Wonder cruise.

Their website mentions it's about a two mile walk from the docks (which is doable for us), or that there's a SMART shuttle available. Have you done either? Is it difficult? Are the gardens the kind of place we could just drop in on if we decide to walk up on the day of our docking, or would we need to make reservations (if we just wanted the gardens, I know glassblowing would require a reservation). Right now we have our excursions for Juneau & Ketchikan taken care of, but I'm not sure if we want to "go go go" the entire trip, or if we'll be using Skagway as a more relaxed "play it by ear" day.

Thank you so much for any information you may have. :)

I almost never hear about this, which is a shame. The gardens were our one excursion on our honeymoon cruise 12 years ago. :)

I would check out their website and the FAQs and maybe call them if the "can we drop in for the gardens" question isn't answered there. (I didn't look at the faq to see)

I almost never hear about this, which is a shame. The gardens were our one excursion on our honeymoon cruise 12 years ago. :)

I would check out their website and the FAQs and maybe call them if the "can we drop in for the gardens" question isn't answered there. (I didn't look at the faq to see)

Thank you Bumbershoot - I searched the forums before I asked the question, and saw your positive reviews - which were helping sway me towards this being on our agenda... I'm just a major in advance planner, but also a phone-phobic person, so I was hoping someone knew off of the top of their heads. ;)

Did you ever go to the Garden? I was looking at the same place and wondering how it was? Thanks

Did you ever go to the Garden? I was looking at the same place and wondering how it was? Thanks
We did the Jewell Gardens glassblowing experience during our Disney Wonder cruise this past June. I booked it directly via Jewell Gardens, which was 50% off DCL's rate.

When you disembark in Skagway, there is a bus stop for the SMART bus right there at the dock. Completely easy, and it's less than $10 per person for a round trip ticket that you can use all day. Bring cash for that.

Skagway is a very small town, so even if for some reason you wanted to walk to Jewell Gardens, which is on the outskirts at the other side of town, most people could walk it in about 30 minutes if they chose to. No need to do that, but just pointing out how easy it is to get around in that little town.

If you just want to see the gardens, you can just drop in and pay a fee for that. If you do glassblowing, they'll let you tour the gardens at no extra charge. We chose to arrive early to have lunch there, and the lunch was very nice. The gardens are pretty.

The glassblowing process was interesting and safe. We got to pick the colors we wanted for our ornaments, and then make them with the help of the guide. Jewell Gardens mailed the ornaments to our homes at no extra charge.

Afterwards, we chose to walk through town to absorb local color rather than take the bus back. The Jewell Gardens staff told us about the location of the Gold Rush cemetery nearby, so we walked over to that, and also to Lower Reid Falls, which is right behind the cemetery. Then we walked through town back to the ship.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter