Glenn & Emma Disney Dreaming DCL 10yr Vow Renewal 28th August 2015

Mrs Hobbes

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone!

Oh my gosh I am so excited - I have dreamed of being a Disney bride for the longest time and I can not quite believe that I am here now about to start a planning journal for our 10 year vow renewal!

Dreams really do come true :cloud9:

I am a completely OCD planner, so you can expect this vow renewal to be planned to within an inch of its life!

So lets get to it - heres the back story popcorn::

The Bride :bride:
My name is Emma, I live in the UK and I've been obsessed with Disney for as long as I can remember. I grew up loving the films as we all did but when I finally made it to Disney World in the year 2000 I was hooked. Disney holds such a special place in our hearts so being able to make Disney part of our love story and our marriage vows means so much.

The Groom :groom:
My wonderful hubby is Glenn and Im lucky that he loves Disney just as much as I do. Not just the going but he loves planning every detail of our trips with me it is something special we can share together.

wd052wdw201333926739244_zps33f9ebb4.jpeg

This is us on vacation last year with our youngest daughter unfortunately my stepdaughter wasn't able to join us on this trip

About Us
So we've been together 14 years now and we'll have been married for 9 years this September.

We met over the internet in the year 2000 - we'd both just separated from our previous spouses and I think fate brought us together. I was using ICQ, an old chat program like MSN - you'd often get random chat messages pop up but I wasn't interested in chatting to guys online, I'd just left my marriage so I would just click ignore and go back to chatting to my friends. But one night a message popped up from a Hobbes (you'll se the connection here to my username ;)) the username made stopped me from instantly hitting the ignore button. Hobbes was the name of a character form a cartoon strip my dad used to read to me when I was little from his daily newspaper. Just seeing that particular user name made me say hi - see fate was playing its part :love:

We didn't chat on the net for months and years like some do, luckily we lived in the same town. Glenn had been searching for girls in his area :rolleyes2 so we chatted on the phone a few times. We hit it off instantly and chatted like old friends for hours. It was almost a week when Glenn said we should meet - it was nerve wracking but we went for it and the rest is history!

I think having been married before we just both knew what had been wrong before and recognised quickly that this just felt right. We are lucky we found each other. We’d both been married very young before and neither of us had been married very long so we were still in our early 20s when we met. I feel very lucky for the fact that we still had a lifetime ahead of us.

Glenn had a daughter form his previous marriage but I’d not had any children. His sweet little girl had just turned three when I met him; a difficult time for her being so young and having her mum and dad separated but she accepted me and it wasn't long before she would call me mummy Emma. Fortunately to this day we have maintained a good relationship and although she grew out of calling me mum we still get along great.

So to cut our 14 year history short for you as I don't want to send you to sleep! Glenn moved in with me and then we brought our first home together and had a child together, our beautiful daughter. Having a mortgage and two daughters, we dreamt of getting married but it we couldn't justify the money having so many other commitments. I changed my name by deed poll so we could all have the same family name and although I planned a few dream weddings over the years. That's all they were dreams.

Our Wedding
Then my 30th birthday rolled around, sooner than I’d hoped! But my mum and dad offered to pay for me to have a birthday party and we decided that if they were able to pay for an evening party with a buffet. then we could have a small intimate ceremony for our closest family and friends during the day.

So we tied the knot on 9th September 2005, on my 30th birthday at an idyllic little thatched cottage with just 35 guests. It was a wonderful day and although a small event it was everything I could've dreamed.

weddingmontage_zps165bf16c.png

Roll forward 10 years
So why a vow renewal and why now?

We’ll be in Disney from August 18th 2015, cruising on the Disney Dream August 28th and then back to Disney until September 4th. We hope to stay at Beach Club before the cruise and then return to Bay Lake Tower. We’re DVC members so we have to see how the availability works out but if we cant get these at our 7month booking window we’ll be staying at our home resort of Animal Kingdom so whatever happens we’ll be staying somewhere amazing!

We had always planned a special vacation for August/ September 2015. Our eldest daughter will have turned 18 and graduated high school in the July. Our youngest daughter will turn 13 in the August and then we will have been married ten years and I’ll be celebrating (or maybe commiserating!) my 40th birthday as well. They all seemed like amazing reasons to celebrate in Disney and we decided to add our first Disney Cruise to our vacation to make it extra special. We had talked about renewing our vows at one of the resorts but we decided that the money would be better spent on a cruise for us all to enjoy together or so I thought!

Until yesterday when I got swept off my feet! My amazing hubby had paid off the cruise balance earlier in the week but little did I know that at the same time he had enquired about wedding availability and booked a vow renewal for onboard the ship! He had initially thought about keeping it a complete surprise but knowing how much planning is a big part of things for us and we love planing together he decided to tell me. I am so thrilled that he did because now I get to spend the next 13months looking forward to being a Disney bride and planning our vow renewal.

He is just the most incredibly sweet guy I am so lucky to have him!

I’m excited to share our journey with you and I have some plans in place already so I’ll be back later to share our ideas so far.

Hello there!! I love your sweet story and I'm so glad your hubby shared the vow renewal plans with you - it makes it all the more fun!

I love your story!! Your husband sounds wonderful and romantic!

I think your trip will be very magical...birthday and vow renewal and magical disney cruise vacation...WOW!

Enjoy the planning!

Brooke

Hello there!! I love your sweet story and I'm so glad your hubby shared the vow renewal plans with you - it makes it all the more fun!

I love your story!! Your husband sounds wonderful and romantic!

I think your trip will be very magical...birthday and vow renewal and magical disney cruise vacation...WOW!

Enjoy the planning!

Brooke

Thank you both for following along! :wave2:

Congrats on a wonderful vow renewal and how sweet of your husband to pay off the whole thing and add the package! :goodvibes You are going to have an amazing time I love DCL my wedding is right before you vow renewal I look forward to following your plans!

Happy Planning,

Melissa

Congrats on a wonderful vow renewal and how sweet of your husband to pay off the whole thing and add the package! :goodvibes You are going to have an amazing time I love DCL my wedding is right before you vow renewal I look forward to following your plans!

Happy Planning,

Melissa

Hi Melissa

I've seen your pj and your plans look amazing - I absolutely love your theme! A Downton Abbey fan here myself - my hubby took me to Highclere Castle back in May and it was absolutely incredible!!!

Your dress is so elegant I will look forward to following along with the rest of your plans and seeing your wedding photos just before us!

Congratulations and happy planning to you too :goodvibes

Hi Melissa

I've seen your pj and your plans look amazing - I absolutely love your theme! A Downton Abbey fan here myself - my hubby took me to Highclere Castle back in May and it was absolutely incredible!!!

Your dress is so elegant I will look forward to following along with the rest of your plans and seeing your wedding photos just before us!

Congratulations and happy planning to you too :goodvibes

Thank you! I love Downton Abbey (can't wait for it to come back on!) and I am so jealous I wish I could go visit I only have had the chance to go to Europe once and I didn't get to go that way next time though that's on my bucket list!

Thank you the dress hunt was a very interesting experience do you have any wedding dress ideas yet?? and I will make sure to post lots of photos when we get back :goodvibes

Thank you! I love Downton Abbey (can't wait for it to come back on!) and I am so jealous I wish I could go visit I only have had the chance to go to Europe once and I didn't get to go that way next time though that's on my bucket list!

Thank you the dress hunt was a very interesting experience do you have any wedding dress ideas yet?? and I will make sure to post lots of photos when we get back :goodvibes

I do have some ideas - going to add them to my thread in just a bit so watch this space :)

I am still on the hunt for a photographer - I have one possibility but not confirmed as yet so I've just emailed your photographer too :) We have a cabin set aside so now we just need to find someone who will come for not much more than the cabin cost - fingers crossed because photography is so important to me.

I do have some ideas - going to add them to my thread in just a bit so watch this space :)

I am still on the hunt for a photographer - I have one possibility but not confirmed as yet so I've just emailed your photographer too :) We have a cabin set aside so now we just need to find someone who will come for not much more than the cabin cost - fingers crossed because photography is zoo important to me.

Ohh goodie I can't wait to see the ideas popcorn:: as you can tell from my PJ I love the clothes aspect of a wedding!

and yes a photographer was so important to me as well! I didn't want to risk getting someone who wasn't very creative, and yey I am glad you emailed her she is so great and has been a doll to work with I believe she will do cabin cost plus like 500 more or so which is not bad at all and she includes so much fingers crossed!!

Guest List :crowded:

We're not planning to send out invites as travelling from the UK is a huge expense and considering we are already married a big ask of our family and friends.

However it won't just be us at the ceremony as we will have both our daughters with us for this trip and our close friends were already travelling with us. So it will be a party of 7 including us two.

Travel Plans :moped:

We are staying in Disney before the cruise and again for a few days afterwards. We are hoping to book a Beach Club Villa for the first part of our stay and a Villa at Bay Lake for the second half. We're DVC members so we have to wait for our 7month window to confirm these but if we don't get these two resorts we'll be staying at our home resort of Animal Kingdom Lodge which we love so its a win win either way.

If we get Beach Club I would love to add maybe a Beach Club/ Boardwalk photo shoot and possibly Epcot as well but we will have to see how the finances go. I love the fact though that once you have had a park shoot you can book another anytime.

Around the Parks

We haven't planned much at all yet for the park days before and after. If we get Beach Club for the first half and bay Lake for the second half we'll focus more on Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal kingdom during our first stay and Magic Kingdom for our second half.

Our first day tradition though is to have breakfast at Chef Mickey and then a few hours in Magic Kingdom before we head back for a reasonably leisurely evening and early night - seems to be the best way to avoid jet lag.

During the first half of the vacation we also have two birthdays to celebrate - our daughters on the 26th and our friends daughters on the 27th.

Our daughter has already said she wants to spend her day in Epcot and eat at Teppan Edo and see Illuminations. She'll be 13 and she loves Japanese culture so she just loves hanging out in the Japan Pavilion.

Our friends daughter is much younger and she'll be celebrating her 6th birthday so the plans will involve princesses! Probably a Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Make Over and time in Fantasyland will be the order of the day.

Apart from that we don't have any further plans but then it is still just over a year away!

On Board the Disney Dream :sail:

We have three staterooms booked all on deck 7 - a deluxe ocean view with verandah for the two of us and our friends in the same next door. Our daughters are across the hall in an inside stateroom.

We're going to book a private hire to take us from Disney to Port Canaveral. The cost of the round trip using Disney transfers is $70 each so for all 7 of us it would cost $490. So we can save money by arranging our own transfer and we can also ensure that we arrive early at the time we want to be there. The only concern with private hire is fitting in all our luggage and wedding attire!

UK Reception
We have a private dining room booked and the bridal suite booked at a local hotel. This was our first night hotel after our wedding so it is special to us and it is a lovely venue. The private dining room seats 26 so we'll have a lovely intimate dinner with our close family and friends to look forward to when we get home.

I didn't have to look too far for my wedding theme and colours. Its a Disney wedding so I knew I wanted a touch of Disney in there some how. Well my absolute favourite character is Minnie Mouse. She wears my favourite colour red and I absolutely love polka dots. My whole kitchen it themed around Minnie Mouse with polka dot accents and a red feature wall.

Minnie_Mouse_zps6807e6c0.png

Here is an inspiration board that i found online - ours will not have the rock and roll elements.

red-rockabilly-wedding-ideas_zps631e55e1.jpg

So a red, white and black colour scheme with a polka dot theme was born. It should also compliment the Disney Dream really well too as they are good nautical colours.

002_Disney_castaway_cay_wedding_Kelly_Canova_Photography_zps0fea7e2b.jpg

Minnie Mouse also embodies the 1950s style which is a look I really love. I wore a 1950s dress before with vintage hair style for my mums 60th birthday party last year and I felt fabulous. I was also much bigger then so if it made me feel good before I lost weight it stands to reason I will feel comfortable in it at a smaller size.

Here I am!

881970_10152609064805635_227197945_o_zpsd0bfeb51.jpg

So I think I have found the theme/ colour scheme for our vow renewal but of course until I have found the dress it is open to change!

wonderful update and I am loving the red and white polka-dot theme
The 50s style dress really suits you and is exactly what I am going for as well :-)

Congratulations on your vow renewal! It sounds like such an amazing trip and wonderful experience for you and your family. I love your colors and style!! I can't wait to see how the planning unfolds.

I love your color and theme! Minnie Mouse is one of my favorite as well ::MinnieMo and the 1950's hint will go nicely with that and the cruise feel! Are you thinking of a short 50's styled dress or a long dress? I am very excited to see more of your plans!

Happy Planning
Melissa

wonderful update and I am loving the red and white polka-dot theme
The 50s style dress really suits you and is exactly what I am going for as well :-)

Thanks Linda I hope I still love the dress style when I finally try some on :)

Congratulations on your vow renewal! It sounds like such an amazing trip and wonderful experience for you and your family. I love your colors and style!! I can't wait to see how the planning unfolds.

Hi LadyD thank you for reading and commenting :)

I love your color and theme! Minnie Mouse is one of my favorite as well ::MinnieMo and the 1950's hint will go nicely with that and the cruise feel! Are you thinking of a short 50's styled dress or a long dress? I am very excited to see more of your plans!

Happy Planning
Melissa

Hi Melissa thank you for checking back on my plans :good vibes

I am thinking possibly ankle length but until I try some on I really don't know - my biggest fear is I don't like the style and I'll be back to the drawing board! Im gong to post my dress ideas next :)

Oh my goodness where to start!

For my very first wedding when I was just a baby at 21 I had a lady make my dress for me so I never got to go around bridal dress shops and try on lots of dresses. I loved my dress but I never had that bridal shop experience. You'd think that I would have learnt from that but when I married Glenn we were on such a tight budget that when my friend offered to make my dress I lept at the chance. So again I didn't go around bridal shops trying on dresses. So I am not making that mistake this time, I will go and try on dresses and I will go with an open mind.

However saying that my dress and what it should look like has pretty much been consuming my every thought since Glenn surprised me with our vow renewal and it has evolved and gone round in circles so many times.

Im going to share my though process with you and I would dearly love any opinions!

To begin with
My first thoughts were that this is a vow renewal so I should wear something understated, I'm not a bride and this isn't my wedding day and to wear a huge princess gown didn't seem right. I'm going to be 40 as well not some young fresh faced twenty something year old (I wish!)

SO initially I thought about wearing a 1950s red polka dot dress like Minnie Mouse and to go with our theme.

185-_MG_4839_zpsbb986ce0.jpg

But the more I thought about it and the more photos I looked at of brides on the Disney Dream and around Disney the more I knew I would some how feel cheated if I wore this dress. I would feel like the bridesmaid and not the bride.

and then
So with all that in mind my 1950s style evolved to a white dress but to keep in with the theme I'll wear red accents - a red petticoat, sash and shoes, maybe even a red flower in my hair. I have fell in love with several styles and my pinterest page is full of images. I love the honey pie boutique - they have a cute dress you can order with a polka dot tulle overlay. I have a fairly large bust so I'm not sure I can go strapless as I'm pretty certain I want to wear a bra and strapless bras and I have never exactly got along well!

dress_zpsea5251ef.jpg

Right Now
I love the look above and I may very well still end up with all those things but I have also started to look at more traditional style bridal dresses and I definitely want to try on some with full tulle skirts - i love the light airy look of tulle. Here are some dresses I've fell in love with.

tulle1_zps3d415f90.jpg

tulle2_zps7d3fafc8.jpg

nora_zps67172d53.jpg

So as you can see I really don't know - my ideas are evolving all the time and until I go to the bridal shops and have a huge trying on session I could end up with any of the above or something completely different! What ever happens Im going with a completely open mind and I really want to fall in love with my dress and wow my husband!

Im not planning to start looking until November - I'm dieting like crazy and swimming every day at the minute. I know once its ordered I can order a size down and I it can be taken in but I know I will lose a lot more weight before the ceremony. I've already lost half of what I want to lose over the last year and I'm not stopping now!

Today I have booked bridal dress appointments for Tuesday October 14th.

I'm feeling very excited, i've booked appointments with three lovely boutiques and I'm going shopping with my mum and hopefully my bestie if she can get the time off work.

I'm also booking afternoon tea for us all as a surprise at midday.

The first bridal shop stocks Lou Lou Bridal and I am absolutely in love with their dresses so I hope I can find something I like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter