• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gluten free advice

tsme

DIS Veteran
I've just been told by my Dr. that I have to go on a gluten free diet. I’m not exactly excited about it. But I was wondering if I could get suggestions for GF meals at the restaurants I’ve already made ADRs at from those of you who have experience.
These are the ones we have booked:

Tokyo Dining
Teppan Edo
Chefs de France
Coral Reef
50’s PT
BOG
Liberty Tree
Garden Grill

TIA

First, call Disney Dining and have them add gluten/wheat allergy to your ADRs. And add it under "special requests" to any others you make. Your seating ticket SHOULD say ALLERGY and the host/hostess should mention it when you check in. As should your server. You should always have the option to speak with a chef if you want.

Of the ones you've listed, I've only eaten at...
Coral Reef... I had lobster bisque, shrimp & grits, and the chocolate wave. DELICIOUS! They do have gluten-free calamari if you're into squid (I'm not).
BOG lunch - VERY easy to pre-order with a gluten/wheat allergy. Just mark it under allergies and it will show you what you can eat.

I've heard that Liberty Tree Tavern is great - you can get your own gf dishes of the regular food. EXCEPT no sticky toffee pudding.

I've also heard that Garden Grill is great. I have not eaten here yet but have it reserved for breakfast in September.

Have not eaten at 50s since going gf and have heard nothing about it.

The Japanese places could be sticky because soy sauce is not gluten-free. Seems like at the cook at the table place I've read reports that they'll cook yours in the back.

Chefs de France I have heard virtually nothing about. Since it's not Disney-owned, it's not required to have an allergy menu - and from what I understand does not. I personally choose to avoid non-Disney owned places that have no discernible track record of being gluten-free friendly, especially at Epcot.

I've just been told by my Dr. that I have to go on a gluten free diet. I’m not exactly excited about it. But I was wondering if I could get suggestions for GF meals at the restaurants I’ve already made ADRs at from those of you who have experience.
These are the ones we have booked:

Tokyo Dining
Teppan Edo
Chefs de France
Coral Reef
50’s PT
BOG
Liberty Tree
Garden Grill

TIA

Note your GF on your ADRs and they will give you a menu for allergies when you get to each restaurant.

First, call Disney Dining and have them add gluten/wheat allergy to your ADRs. And add it under "special requests" to any others you make. Your seating ticket SHOULD say ALLERGY and the host/hostess should mention it when you check in. As should your server. You should always have the option to speak with a chef if you want.

The Japanese places could be sticky because soy sauce is not gluten-free. Seems like at the cook at the table place I've read reports that they'll cook yours in the back.

If you ask for Gluten Free Soy Sauce they will bring you out a bottle of it. I always ask and they do for me, this applies to the Japanese and the Chinese TS restaurants in World Showcase.

We don't have gluten allergies, but my daughter does have other severe food allergies. I'd recommend you go to allergyeats.com for some reviews of Disney restaurants. We've had some good and some not-so-great experiences with the restaurants in Disney (we've been there twice in the past four years), but no reactions at least. Good luck, and enjoy!

Our son has Celiac and he has enjoyed eating at several of those restaurants. His favorite dishes are:

Coral Reef: The calamari for an appetizer is a must. He usually gets the mahi-mahi as his entree. The chocolate wave for dessert is a highlight each trip as well.
50's PT: The fried chicken is excellent. Since they have to start up a dedicated fryer the fried chicken requires advance notice. Send an e-mail to Special.Diets@DisneyWorld.com and they will have it ready for you.
BOG (Lunch): Turkey sandwich on millet bread. The gluten free pastries that come with breakfast are very good as well. He usually gets the bacon/eggs meal.
Liberty Tree Tavern: Pilgrim's feast. They have gluten free gravy as well.
Garden Grill: For dinner you can have just about everything including the french fries. No mac & cheese or berry shortcake obviously.

Our son is very sensitive to cross-contamination so we always speak to a chef before ordering so they are aware of the situation. They are very accommodating and can also suggest options not listed on the allergy menus. If there are options listed on the regular menu that appeal to you, I would recommend asking the chef to see if it can be made gluten free.

We have not eaten at Teppan Edo yet but I do know they will scour the surface of the grill thoroughly for you before cooking if cross-contamination is a concern.

Good gluten-free desserts are the one area that seems to be lacking. We usually end up with the same gluten free cookies or brownies at most places so indulge at restaurants that have them, like Coral Reef.

I am allergic to wheat, so different than Celiac, but a gluten-free diet is the safest thing for me to follow when dining out.

Tokyo Dining: one of the saddest gluten-free meals I have ever had. the choices were limited and extremely bland.
Teppan Edo: no experience, but I have read descent reviews
Chefs de France: no experience, but I have read some reviews that suggest that they are not as accommodating as other restaurants
Coral Reef: no experience
50’s PT: OMG! This is one of my favorites! I dream about their gf fried chicken between trips. You need to contact Special Diets in advance or go by the restaurant before your reservation to insure the allergy friers are heated, but it is totally worth the extra effort!!!!
BOG: no experience, but I have read good things. I think there are really great lunch options here.
Liberty Tree: I had a great lunch there (the Colony Salad), but I have also read about how wonderful their gf Pilgram's Feast is
Garden Grill: I have only had breakfast here, but it has always been great. Their gf mickey waffles are some of my favorite.

Other favorites for future reference:
Jungle Skipper Canteen, Satu'li Canteen, Tiffins, Sanaa, Sunshine Seasons, Biergarten, Boathouse

Yes, I agree 100% with @squeezle about Skipper’s, Satu’li, and Boathouse!! Boathouse was hands-down the best dessert I have had on property. The chefs have always been amazing and pretty much like “Give me a challenge!” One of them said he will tell his friends to ask for the allergy dessert because he feels it is better than the others. Haha!

I am allergic to wheat, so different than Celiac, but a gluten-free diet is the safest thing for me to follow when dining out.

Tokyo Dining: one of the saddest gluten-free meals I have ever had. the choices were limited and extremely bland.
Teppan Edo: no experience, but I have read descent reviews
Chefs de France: no experience, but I have read some reviews that suggest that they are not as accommodating as other restaurants
Coral Reef: no experience
50’s PT: OMG! This is one of my favorites! I dream about their gf fried chicken between trips. You need to contact Special Diets in advance or go by the restaurant before your reservation to insure the allergy friers are heated, but it is totally worth the extra effort!!!!
BOG: no experience, but I have read good things. I think there are really great lunch options here.
Liberty Tree: I had a great lunch there (the Colony Salad), but I have also read about how wonderful their gf Pilgram's Feast is
Garden Grill: I have only had breakfast here, but it has always been great. Their gf mickey waffles are some of my favorite.

Other favorites for future reference:
Jungle Skipper Canteen, Satu'li Canteen, Tiffins, Sanaa, Sunshine Seasons, Biergarten, Boathouse

I agree as well on Jungle Skipper Canteen and Satu'li Canteen. Jungle Skipper Canteen has excellent fried chicken as well that does not need advance notice. We tried that restaurant for the first time in February and ended up eating there twice. One of our new favorites! Sunshine Seasons is also a great place to grab some gf snacks for later in the park.

I’ve had breakfast and lunch at BOG and really like the gf millet bread. I usually get the roast beef sandwich.

Thanks to everyone. It’s all so new to me that I’m just learning what to eat at home. I really appreciate the suggestions and websites.

Thanks to everyone. It’s all so new to me that I’m just learning what to eat at home. I really appreciate the suggestions and websites.

It does get easier! You will learn what products you like and don't like. You will learn learn new ways of cooking and eating. And you will eventually get to a point where it doesn't take much thought or effort at all. Eating out someplace new will always take a little bit of research, but that gets easier too. And Disney is one of the easiest place it the world to visit with dietary restrictions... you will be in good hands. Hang in there!

I will also add if you are going to be in AK- go to Nomad Lounge (no ADR) and order the churros. They are gf and amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter