Gluten Free/Dairy Free/Corn Free but not free dining

WDW2012

Michelle
Hello and :welcome: to my first attempt at a dining report. Our family traveled to Universal/Disney in August. We stayed on-site at Universal and for the first time in a long time, off-site at Disney. We were not on any dining plans (thus the “not free” portion of my title ;) ) so if I have the cost of our meal I’ll try to put it in. Our group consisted of me, DH, DS (11), DD (8), Grandma (my mom – age withheld :laughing: ) and my cousin (33) (DC). We had a bit of a dining challenge this time around apart from the usual peanut allergy for my DD. Last February my son was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease. It has been a journey so far and we’re thankful that he does not experience many of the typical Crohn’s symptoms. We’re in the process of getting him on track and healthy while we figure out the future/medication. Our nutritionist has suggested that my son avoid gluten, dairy and corn. Needless to say my son was a little worried about traveling with such a restricted diet! Thankfully we had no issues with food, although I did not remember to take pics of every meal :headache: .

Our first three days were spent at Universal/Portofino Bay Hotel.

We stopped at Margaritaville for lunch. As part of my son’s restricted diet, he avoids corn and all corn related products like corn syrup/high fructose corn syrup. Do you have any idea how much corn syrup/HFCS is in food??? Um, yeah, a lot! At home we can avoid it by doing things like making our own BBQ sauce or buying brands without it, but when we are out it is not so easy. I asked what kind of BBQ sauce they used at Margaritaville and it was Sweet Baby Rays. The server said he’d check the ingredients but I told him not to bother, I already know the first ingredient is HFCS :worried: Margaritaville does have a pretty decent gluten free menu that could easily be adapted to avoid corn/dairy. After being up since the crack of dawn and traveling, DS was hangry and wanted a burger:

He wanted it on lettuce although I can’t honestly remember if they offered any gluten free bread/buns. I asked them to just put lettuce leaves with the burger but they got it wrong and put shredded lettuce. No worries, he was fine and enjoyed it the way it was. The fries were gluten free and according to DS were great! Our only complaint was that there was nothing to dip his fries in. He prefers BBQ sauce over ketchup but neither one was corn free.

DD and I split the crispy coconut shrimp and I got a side salad (no pic of the salad). I’m not a huge fan of coconut but these were really good.

DC got the Fried Chicken Cobb Salad but subbed the fried chicken for grilled chicken.

I’m pretty sure DH got the Key West Fish Sandwich with a side of sweet potato fries.

I can’t find a pic of Grandma’s meal but she either got the same thing as DH or a maybe a burger. Either way we all enjoyed our meal here and then headed out to enjoy some rides! Our total (for the 4 of us (Grandma and DC were paying their own way) was about $65.

We originally had reservations at Mythos for dinner but cancelled them to go back and enjoy the hotel after nearly melting from the heat and then getting soaked on the water rides. We stopped at Sal’s Market at Portofino Bay. I neglected to take any pictures but I do remember that they did have gluten free pizza crust…but it had corn in it and there weren't really any dairy free cheese options so I’m pretty sure that DS had a salad with chicken in it and most likely some fruit. DH and I split the BBQ Chicken Pizza which was really good and DD had the Margherita pizza. We helped her with that and enjoyed it. I can’t remember what Grandma and DC had but I do know that the meal was good enough to satisfy these Italian New Yorkers who are pretty snobby about their Italian food ;-) The total for the 4 of us (again Grandma & DC paid their own way) was $60.29.

On our first full day we headed to Islands of Adventure. I was so super excited to be at Hogsmeade that of course I forgot to take ANY pictures of our lunch at the Three Broomsticks. Fail. :headache: I do know that for the 4 of us it cost $48.92 and I’m pretty sure that DD got the chicken fingers, DH and I split the chicken and ribs platter and DS got the rotisserie chicken platter with potatoes minus the corn.

I did manage to get a picture of one of these:

Frozen Butterbeer! It was pretty good but really, really sweet.

For dinner we headed to Emeril’s at CityWalk. I had high hopes for this restaurant since Emeril’s daughters have gluten sensitivity so I figured he’d know something about catering to gluten free. Overall our meal was pretty good. I was a tad disappointed to know that while they do make their own BBQ sauce at Emeril’s, they do use corn syrup/corn starch as a thickener. DS really follows his restrictions to the T so he didn’t want to chance anything.

Appetizers:

DH got the Emeril’s New Orleans Barbecue Shrimp

DS decided to go with the Fresh House Made Guacamole subbing the chips for vegetables. I think the look on his face says it all as to how happy he was to see asparagus on his plate. :rotfl: They did bring him more carrots when they realized he didn’t eat asparagus.

DD and I went with the Shrimp and Corn Chowder which was really good.

DC got (at least I think it is based on looking at the menu) the Oyster Bisque.

Grandma got the Oven Roasted Artichoke. It was ok, a little bit too tough for my liking.

For dinner DH went with the Mussels + Frites. He said they were just ok. I think he was expecting something spectacular but they were not.

DD got the Petite Filet Mignon. Not sure if there were vegetables on the side but I do know she enjoyed it.

DC went with the Panko + Gorgonzola Crusted Filet Mignon. She said it was really good.

Grandma, DS and I went with the Seared Sea Scallops but they subbed out the stuff DS could not eat and replaced it with white rice and peas. The scallops were fabulous!

I only see two pics of dessert so I guess the adults were too full for dessert.
DD got the Homemade Sorbets of the Day and DS got the Seasonal Fruit Plate.

We really enjoyed our meal at Emeril’s. With dessert and some drinks our meal for the 4 of us (Grandma & DC were paying separately) was around $200.

Great review so far! I know you deal with what you are given, but I felt so bad for your son in that picture! :) And the salad vs. a pizza - no fun! But obviously better than getting sick!

Great review so far! I know you deal with what you are given, but I felt so bad for your son in that picture! :) And the salad vs. a pizza - no fun! But obviously better than getting sick!

Thanks! He really does very, very well all things considered. He has more willpower than most adults I know!!

Day 2 was spent at Universal and we had lunch at Lombard’s. No pics as I think the camera was with our bags. I don’t remember it being anything spectacular but I do know we were glad to be out of the heat! DS was able to get a modified cobb salad with shrimp which he enjoyed.

We were switching from Universal to our off-site rental so we stopped at a Bonefish Grill for dinner.

I went with the Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos. They were soooo good.

DS had grilled fish, plain rice and green beans. He loved it.

I don’t remember what this was, maybe a special? DH said it was good though.

DD went with the kids fried shrimp and by the looks of it some soup.

Day 3 was our first day at WDW. We had tried to get one of the return tickets (or whatever they were doing that week) for Be Our Guest for lunch but that did not work out and no one really wanted to stand out for over an hour in the blistering heat, so we went to our usual lunch spot: Columbia Harbor House. Three of the four of us got the tuna sandwiches (DD getting the kids version) and DS went with the gluten free/allergy chicken tenders. This was by far the best counter service for DS. We had to wait a little bit for his chicken but he ate every last bit. I remember that there were packets of BBQ sauce upstairs but for the life of me I can’t remember what brand they were (“Simply” something?). In any event, I think they were safe for DS to dip so I’m pretty sure I snagged a few and carried them around all week ;)

And a bonus, they had GF cookies. I’m fairly certain grandma went back to buy a few more of those and carried those around until DS ate them all ;)

Dinner was a first for us and we were very excited.

It had poured on our way over and then was pretty cloudy out so we didn’t have great views but we managed to enjoy what we could see. I’d love to stay late enough to see the fireworks from the restaurant but we were headed back to the parks for nighttime fun.

For appetizers:

DH went with the Heirloom Tomato BLT Flatbread. I tasted a piece and it was pretty good.

I went with the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli. The ravioli itself was pretty good but the broth was really, really watery.

DD had the Grilled Seasonal Vegetable Lettuce Wraps with Hummus. She loved it!

No pic of DS’s appetizer because I don’t think it lasted long enough ;) This was the first of a few restaurants to have gluten free rolls (I think they use Ener-G) and the chef was kind enough to send some over with some olive oil for dipping. DS was on :cloud9:!

DC ordered the Artisan Romaine and said it was pretty good but too much food for an appetizer.

Grandma ordered the Wood-Roasted Mussels and said they were fabulous!

Thanks for the report. What other restaurants have the GF rolls?

Thanks for the report. What other restaurants have the GF rolls?

Sorry, I totally slacked off with this report as I did not think anyone was reading ;) I'm pretty sure a lot of the restaurants had the GF rolls. I'm pretty sure he had them at Jiko and Brown Derby. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Would love to read more! Similar allergy profile for my DH, and it really helps to see what you can find where! We also have a second person (dd) with 9 food allergies. Don't servers just love us!

For dinner I had the Oak Fired Filet of Beef. It was great!

Disney 2014 494 (400x267).jpg

DD went with the children’s buttered pasta and broccoli. It was meh. I don’t think she was that hungry that night so she wasn’t too adventurous.

Disney 2014 495 (400x267).jpg

DS went with a mini filet, smashed potatoes and carrot sticks. He really liked it but we should have ordered him a larger portion because he was still hungry! The chef here was really accommodating to our food issues and came out a few times to check on everything. We found it to be one of the top restaurants for dealing with allergies.
Disney 2014 496 (400x267).jpg

Grandma went with the pork two ways and said it was fabulous.

Disney 2014 497 (400x267).jpg

DC went with the tuna (loved it) and DH went with, I think, the bison? Can’t remember at this point and the pic is blurry but he said it was good.
Disney 2014 498 (400x267).jpg Disney 2014 500 (400x267).jpg

Of course I didn’t take notes and can’t for the life of me remember what I got for dessert but it was a seasonal special. I don’t remember it being spectacular. DD went with cookies and ice cream and I’m pretty sure DS has some fruit.
Disney 2014 528 (400x267).jpg Disney 2014 529 (400x267).jpg

Almost forgot to add the total for the 4 of us (minus Grandma and DC) was $268 :scared1: but that did include some drinks too ;)

Last edited:
Everything looks delicious. It's so nice to see that your son was able to get such a great variety of food! Honestly i don't know where I would begin if I had to eliminate all of those things, but it looks like he handles it so well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter