Gluten Free dining

Ilion

Mouseketeer
My girlfriend just went for tests to see if she has celiac disease. While we're awaiting the results we're of course going over the possible impact of this. Something I realized is I should probably inform DCL of the possible special dining requirements asap.

Does anyone have experience with gluten free dining on DCL? It's not something I've had to consider before and I can't really recall what the options were like on my previous cruise.

I don't suppose there's an alternative gluten free cake of the day? :P

My daughter and I both have celiac disease and DCL was amazing for gluten free food. After having such a great experience last May, we book a 7 night cruise for the coming may. My daughter didn't have so much as a tummy cramp the entire time onboard.

My mother has this (and chrones) so this is unbelievably helpful for us (I dream of taking her on a Disney cruise one day).

Thank you OP for making this and thank you to everyone that answers ^_^

My DH is gluten intolerant and he's had great experiences with Disney/DCL. There are lots of gluten free options, just ask or make her allergy known.

The best meal we had on the Wonder was at Palo for dinner. The Executive Chef came out twice to talk to us. The first time he told my DH that he had set aside in the prep stage a few main course dishes that were typically prepared with gluten products so they could be prepared gluten free if my DH wanted. He also had gluten free pasta already boiling so we could have a sampling of that as well. Letting the restaurant know ahead of time made all the difference. Since DH was newly diagnosed, we didn't have GF noted on our original cruise reservation.

Good luck to your girlfriend and have a wonderful trip!

I haven't cruised yet, but this is what I have found out. You should contact DCL and have that she needs gluten free food noted on your reservation. I believe DCL makes sure to have enough GF choices for as many people they are aware of, so if they don't get a correct count, there may be less to choose among.

Discuss her requirements and likes/dislikes with your servers/head server. It is easier on the crew, and thus less wait time for you, if she indicates what she would like from next evenings menu when finishing up dining for the night. It's possible to meet with dining staff at the beginning of the cruise, making arrangements for the first dinner. Also make sure she's aware where she can pick up GF food on Castaway Cay.

If eating in the buffet, she can ask for a chef to walk through the buffet with her, indication what she can have. If concerned about cross-contamination (easily happens when a lot of people serve themselves), ask for a new batch to be brought out with new utensils.

As I said, I haven't cruised, so I have no first hand knowledge. But I know how seriously Disney takes food allergies in WDW - and I certainly look forward to dining GF on DCL.

I wish you a great cruise!

Thanks everyone! We should have test results by the end of the week so if the results are positive I'll try to get my TA to notify DCL.

My DIL's mother has celiac's and cruised Alaska with us. The CM's were very informative as to what could be eaten and walked her through the buffets. They will make her something fresh if needed. The first night in the MDR was working with the server to find the right meal. Beginning that night the head server brought the next night's menu to her to review and determine what they could make (dropping the sauce,etc.) and she ordered her dinner for the next night. They also brought out a separate basket each night of gluten free rolls. They really take extra care!

You can fill out the medical form noting her celiac's and fax it to DCL.

My girlfriend just went for tests to see if she has celiac disease. While we're awaiting the results we're of course going over the possible impact of this. Something I realized is I should probably inform DCL of the possible special dining requirements asap.

Does anyone have experience with gluten free dining on DCL? It's not something I've had to consider before and I can't really recall what the options were like on my previous cruise.

I don't suppose there's an alternative gluten free cake of the day? :P

Yes, note it on your ressie. My DD has Celiac. We spent 2 weeks on the Wonder over her birthday in September for the PC cruise. They treated her like a princesss! No worries!

You should mention. The last time I cruised, my tablemates DDs both have celiac so what they did was they brought the menus out the night before and they chose what to have and they did it with no problems.

You should mention. The last time I cruised, my tablemates DDs both have celiac so what they did was they brought the menus out the night before and they chose what to have and they did it with no problems.
I may have read something on the boards recently that DCL may start or already have started listing certain dishes on the dinner menus as GF instead of picking off the menu the night before. Not sure how true this is. I hope it isn't true because this will limit selection.

I may have read something on the boards recently that DCL may start or already have started listing certain dishes on the dinner menus as GF instead of picking off the menu the night before. Not sure how true this is. I hope it isn't true because this will limit selection.
Where? I need to know about that.

elmo2200 said:
In case you are interested. I have cruised DCL "normal" twice, once allergic to wheat, then allergic to wheat and corn. My fifth cruise will be paleo because I am trying to heal leaky gut from my celiac. Hopefully this link will work!!! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3073816

Thanks for the link, I'm off to read your report. My daughter is basically paleo minus the eggs, also attempting to heal a leaky gut. No dairy, soy, eggs, corn, or gluten.

We don't have any trouble feeding her at home, so hopefully there will be plenty of options on the ship also. The biggest hurdles are making sure the gluten free pasta doesn't contain corn, making sure condiments don't contain corn syrup, and watching for soy in everything because it seems to always be lurking in the most unexpected places!

Elmo2200,

Were you able to eat the GF chicken tenders, or did the breading contain corn?

We are planning to bring our own bbq sauce and ketchup. We haven't been able to find any A1 type steak sauce without corn syrup, do you know of any?

I suppose I should take her some "real" syrup too in case they have safe pancakes. She is loving Cherrybrook Kitchen pancakes made with vanilla almond milk. If they have something similar on the ship, she'll be in heaven!

Where? I need to know about that.
I just found this quote from another Diser on another thread about GF dining. It deals with new menus on the Magic at AP. As I said before I personally think bringing out the menus the the night before gives you more selection instead of listing something specific on the menu.

I was just looking thru the menus posted on the Disney Cruise Line Blog by fellow DISers and it seems at least the new menu from AP on the Magic had GF markings! My DH is gluten intolerant and he will be very happy to see this. Hope this is a change being made fleet wide. There also appears to be a Dairy Free symbol as well.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013...ic/#more-11124

I just found this quote from another Diser on another thread about GF dining. It deals with new menus on the Magic at AP. As I said before I personally think bringing out the menus the the night before gives you more selection instead of listing something specific on the menu.

I was just looking thru the menus posted on the Disney Cruise Line Blog by fellow DISers and it seems at least the new menu from AP on the Magic had GF markings! My DH is gluten intolerant and he will be very happy to see this. Hope this is a change being made fleet wide. There also appears to be a Dairy Free symbol as well.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013...ic/#more-11124
Sorry something happened with the last post and the link. It didn't copy right. I tried to delete it but it wouldn't let me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter