Gluten Free in WDW

marx

DVC Home: AKV
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease almost 4 years ago and have been Gluten Free ever since. Trips to WDW have been a joy due to the variety of GF options at all the WDW restaurants. Most meals have been wonderful - the GF fried chicken in the Prime Time Cafe might have been my favorite.

However, on my most recent trip two weeks ago there were many disappointments. At Boma, a chef does not walk you through the buffet line unless you request it. Instead, an allergen guide is handed to you listed what can and cannot be eaten. I don't know if this is the case at other buffets. I suggest that you always ask for a chef to walk you through. (We were at Boma twice. We have been to Boma many times in the past. On this trip, the first visit to Boma used only the guide, the second visit was with a chef).

When a chef walks you through you get more options. Yes, the allergen guide does list items you can request to be prepared GF, but it is not complete. With the chef there is more variety (especially if you ask - like sweet plantains). Also, in the past the chef would offer items - this time I had to request them.

Although there where a couple of items I could eat from the desert area, utensils used to pick up deserts were shared. I had to ask for a desert plate. Again, in the past this was offered by the chef - and included items not in the buffet as well.

In Pecos Bills I ordered the Southwestern Burger (which should be dressed with cheese, lettuce, tomato), but all I got was a burger on a GF bun. This happened twice - even though I asked for the dressings the second time. This didn't happen on my visit to Pecos Bills last December. When I complained, they said they could bring me the dressings - which they did - but by then the burger was cold. I could have requested another, but the wait for GF food at Pecos Bills is quite long.

Mara, where you always discuss GF options with a chef was wonderful.

Oh my goodness! :( I'm bummed by your review of Boma! We have 4 GF people in our family, and we've had some amazing experiences at Boma over the years (don't get me started on when TJ was there). I'd love to hear the rest of your current assesments. We're going in January. I may have to look at Mara this time. My favorite meals have usually be at Le Cellier - but now they won't make the GF version of the Cheddar soup anymore. Do they still make Zebra domes at Boma?

Oh my goodness! :( I'm bummed by your review of Boma! We have 4 GF people in our family, and we've had some amazing experiences at Boma over the years (don't get me started on when TJ was there). I'd love to hear the rest of your current assesments. We're going in January. I may have to look at Mara this time. My favorite meals have usually be at Le Cellier - but now they won't make the GF version of the Cheddar soup anymore. Do they still make Zebra domes at Boma?
Boma was the only buffet we visited this trip. And yes, GF Zebra Domes are at Boma (and at Mara as well if requested).

I don't like the buffet allergy guides as a replacement for the chef walking you around. They are a nice supplement. When we went to Boma at the beginning of July, I did request that the chef walk my daughter through the line. He seemed annoyed and asked if we didn't get the allergen guide. This was at breakfast. We are going there and Biergarten for our next trip and I will ask for the chef to walk my daughter through the line.

I don't like the buffet allergy guides as a replacement for the chef walking you around. They are a nice supplement. When we went to Boma at the beginning of July, I did request that the chef walk my daughter through the line. He seemed annoyed and asked if we didn't get the allergen guide. This was at breakfast. We are going there and Biergarten for our next trip and I will ask for the chef to walk my daughter through the line.
I agree and would suggest always asking for a chef walk through. (BTW; Since Mara and Boma share chefs I think I met them all more than once. All were very friendly and helpful except for one. Maybe you just had bad luck at your daughters walk through).

In May, I got an allergy pamphlet at Biergarten, but they offered a chef to take me around or if I had any questions about my options. They were really nice about it and we eat at Biergarten every trip so I was comfortable with not having the chef take me around.

At Tusker House the chef came out as usual and took me around. He was very nice and helpful. I was not offered an allergy pamphlet there.

At BOG lunch, my roast beef sandwich on millet bread came out plain. I asked the server about the horseradish sauce, or at least some mayo, and she was extremely rude to me and snapped at me that she would not give me anything that she couldn't guarantee was gf. I told her that I understood but I had a sauce the other times I had the roast beef and if she could ask for me. She huffed as she walked away and then sent a manager to me. I explained the situation and the manager was very apologetic about the server's attitude and she personally went to speak with the chef and got me some sauce.

That was the first time in many gf trips that I had such a rude experience. One other time at Biergarten, maybe a year or two ago, the chef seemed slightly put off in taking me around but he wasn't downright rude. The only other "bad" experience (which wasn't really bad, just annoying) was a server at Chefs de France who was not familiar with gluten free and made comments about how the dishes I asked about wouldn't taste right without the sauces (which had gluten). It was more like "the dish is ruined without the sauce" kind of attitude, accompanied with an eye roll.

The only other "bad" experience (which wasn't really bad, just annoying) was a server at Chefs de France who was not familiar with gluten free and made comments about how the dishes I asked about wouldn't taste right without the sauces (which had gluten). It was more like "the dish is ruined without the sauce" kind of attitude, accompanied with an eye roll.

Somewhat funny, unless you're the disney manager who has to reconcile these things: I've actually complained once before about basically the opposite experience at a different Epcot restaurant. I was offered an edited version of a dish, but they were offering to leave off what I felt were key components of the dish. I don't want some dumbed-down flavorless version of what "normal people" get, I want real food prepared with people like me in mind. I truly don't mean any offense by that, I'm sure your requests were reasonable, it's just that there's so many people like you or like me visiting the parks that it just seems dumb to not already have a couple things on the menu that are designed for us and don't need to be modified. (BTW: It was Garden Grill, we ended up eating the stupid "stuffed pepper". It was awful -- so bad that I kinda doubt it's any better with all the normal ingredients? -- and I think Chip & Dale should fire their chef. It sucks to eat mediocre food when you know there's good food available more cheaply in literally the same building!)

Big thanks to OP for those notes on Boma. It's on my plan for my next trip. Nice to be aware of what's up and consider whether that's a reason to remove it from my itinerary. Truly, thank you Marx!

In May, I got an allergy pamphlet at Biergarten, but they offered a chef to take me around or if I had any questions about my options. They were really nice about it and we eat at Biergarten every trip so I was comfortable with not having the chef take me around.

That was the first time in many gf trips that I had such a rude experience. One other time at Biergarten, maybe a year or two ago, the chef seemed slightly put off in taking me around but he wasn't downright rude. The only other "bad" experience (which wasn't really bad, just annoying) was a server at Chefs de France who was not familiar with gluten free and made comments about how the dishes I asked about wouldn't taste right without the sauces (which had gluten). It was more like "the dish is ruined without the sauce" kind of attitude, accompanied with an eye roll.

I also was in Biergarten in May (celebrating my daughters birthday). I don't recall being offered a pamphlet (maybe I declined?) and was walked though with the chef. I too felt the chef not as helpful as in other WDW restaurants. (For buffets, the best chefs I worked with were at Cape May, Trails End and Boma - with the exception of my last visit). Also, this was my first visit to Biergarten since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease and a lot food I wanted had gluten - I was not offered a GF version as had been the case on trips to Boma in prior visits. I don't think I'll be back to Biergarten anytime soon. (It is my eldest daughters favorite restaurant, so I have to make concessions here).

Big thanks to OP for those notes on Boma. It's on my plan for my next trip. Nice to be aware of what's up and consider whether that's a reason to remove it from my itinerary. Truly, thank you Marx!

You're welcome.... And, I'd still include Boma :). IMO, it is the best buffet in WDW for those who are GF. Such a great variety, and most items are very very good. Just ask to meet with a chef, and if you see something you want on the buffet that is off limits - and a GF option isn't offered - ask why. If it's because it was prepared in a contaminated area, the chef can prepare a GF serving for you.

Last edited:
Somewhat funny, unless you're the disney manager who has to reconcile these things: I've actually complained once before about basically the opposite experience at a different Epcot restaurant. I was offered an edited version of a dish, but they were offering to leave off what I felt were key components of the dish. I don't want some dumbed-down flavorless version of what "normal people" get, I want real food prepared with people like me in mind. I truly don't mean any offense by that, I'm sure your requests were reasonable, it's just that there's so many people like you or like me visiting the parks that it just seems dumb to not already have a couple things on the menu that are designed for us and don't need to be modified. (BTW: It was Garden Grill, we ended up eating the stupid "stuffed pepper". It was awful -- so bad that I kinda doubt it's any better with all the normal ingredients? -- and I think Chip & Dale should fire their chef. It sucks to eat mediocre food when you know there's good food available more cheaply in literally the same building!)

You're right, and I don't want a dumb downed version either. The whole experience was weird and I don't think the server knew anything about gf or what my options were. She told me that the dishes could be made gf and to ask her which ones I was interested in and she would check with the chef. This happened 3 times, with 3 different trips to the chef because she didn't know what was safe. The restaurant is partially at fault too, because their only options were to completely remove the classic sauces or to substitute another type sauce. They should have a gf version of the sauce, IMO, if the dish is a classic dish. For example; the cherry sauce served with the duck should not be left off, but they should make a gf version of it to accommodate. When I make sauces that usually call for flour, I don't leave it off, I make a gf version! So I had the chef suggesting a different sauce because they didn't make of a gf version the classic sauces, and then I had the server rolling her eyes and commenting that in her opinion it would be awful because she thought you could only have the classic sauces for the dishes to be good. ???

@mckennarose can I ask what you think of the millet bread please?

I really liked the millet bread. It was not super dry or gritty, like a lot of gf breads are. (For reference, I don't like Udi's or Scharr bread products because of the dry-grit thing) I want bread to taste like bread and the millet bread was very good and soft; not crumbly at all. They have since changed the menu at BOG and no longer have the roast beef sandwich. They now have a french dip, but I don't know what type of bread they serve with it. They still have the turkey sandwich so I would assume the gf version has the millet bread.

I also was in Biergarten in May (celebrating my daughters birthday). I don't recall being offered a pamphlet (maybe I declined?) and was walked though with the chef. I too felt the chef not as helpful as in other WDW restaurants. (For buffets, the best chefs I worked with were at Cape May, Trails End and Boma - with the exception of my last visit). Also, this was my first visit to Biergarten since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, and honestly, a lot food I wanted had gluten and I was not offered a GF version as had been the case on trips to Boma in prior visits.....

We had lunch on May 19th and that was the first time I got an allergy pamphlet at Biergarten. I don't know if all the restaurants have the same style, but this one is green and the seating hostess was the one to give it to me when she took us back.

Sorry you didn't have a good experience. I love Biergarten and we go at least once each trip.

Sad to hear of so many poor experiences. I've had wonderful service the past two trips and have my fingers crossed for the same again in November. The chefs at Crystal Palace and Hollywood & Vine last year were so kind. The chef at BOG is my favorite, and the past two years he made the croque monsieur for me and added the cheese to the onion soup, none of which are offered on the allergy menu.

I believe the allergy menu lists it without. I remember having to ask for it. They reminded me the cheese would sink without the croutons but I didn't mind!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter