Gluten free list at City Hall?

KateDrake

DIS Veteran
Does City Hall still offer a list of gluten-free options throughout the parks? All the information I'm finding is from several years ago. We're bringing my dad this time and it will be my first time trying to navigate the food scene at the parks with GF as a consideration.

Please feel free to share other tips or your favorite GF meals! He gets sick of eating salad everywhere we go, so I'm hoping we can find some good options for him.

TIA!

No. This was discontinued several years ago. The reason given was items change too quickly to keep up. They expect you to ask at each location before ordering. They do have top 8 allergy menus at CS and TS (not ODV carts), but even those aren't reliable and you still have to ask. For example, they've crossed off the Beast burger on some of the allergy menus at Red Rose Taverne. I asked which ingredient makes it not GF, and could that be left off. They didn't know. Make sure you tell them that you're ordering off the allergy menu, because some items on those menus have modifications, but don't explicitly say they're modified.

In addition to asking for allergy menus, you can note your dietary restrictions on your reservations for table service restaurants when you make them. And with both table series and counter service, you can ask to speak with the chef about your order if you have any questions or reservations about what is or isn't safe. In the cases where I have spoken directly with the chef, I have ended up with a better meal than when I just ordered from the allergen menus without a consultation. Just know that at a counter service place you generally will wait longer for your food than people ordering without allergies - I haven't noticed a longer wait table service restaurants.

Last edited:
Just mention the allergy at counter service places. They'll have a menu. I ordered mine first, paid, then DH ordered his and the kids. I could help get the kids situated with theirs while waiting for mine. It didn't seem to take too much longer.

Our GF fam member has had some wonderful meals at DL. Just tell your server and if you don't like the options on the ore-set menu don't be afraid to ask to see a chef. My fam member had the best meal at Blue Bayou a couple trips back because the chef came out and talked with her (Blue Bayou also does GF rolls but you have to wait extra long so plan extra time if interested.) On our last trip the servers just threw an "allergy friendly" menu at us basically when we went to TS but like I said don't be afraid to ask to see a chef even after seeing that menu. If he has an idea of something he wants in the menu the chef might be able to adjust it to meet his needs.

ETA: DLR is the best place we've ever been to do when it comes to allergies, they go above and beyond

https://www.disboards.com/threads/gluten-free-dining-at-the-disneyland-resort-a-superthread.3003289/

The old list was 'stickied' at the top but it's gone now and some of the older info may be outdated but this is still a great resource. If I'm looking for something specific I usually start at the end of the thread and work backwards so I get the latest info first.

http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/menus/

This link is to the allergy friendly menus. You'll have to scroll down thru the WDW links to find the DLR links. Again, menus change so these may not be 100% accurate.

Tell your dad he'll be great. Disney is second to none when it comes to accommodating those of us with food sensitivities. Tell him there will be GF french fries to eat with his GF burger at Smokejumpers and Hungry Bear AND that Lucky Fortune Cookery in DCA has a wonderful (gasp) GF teriyaki bowl!!!! The grilled cheese/tomato soup combo at Jolly Holiday is YUM and Plaza Inn has GF pot roast with GRAVY!!!

TS places are no problem. They have fresh ingredients and if nothing appeals then the chefs can usually whip something up for him from what's to hand. I've had some delicious 'off menu' meals created just for me. QS/CS places don't have that luxury as they usually don't have large kitchens with lots of ingredients. They can only work with adapting what's on the menu.

My usual strategy at QS/CS places is to look at the posted regular menu and try to find at least two things that look to me as if they'd be easy to convert to GF. Ask the first CM you see if they can accommodate or if they have an allergy menu (they'll usually have one to show you). If not, once I get to the order-taker I ask for the GF menu or to speak to the chef to see if either of my choices will work or to pick from what's there. If your dad has been GF for a while he'll pretty much know that it would be easy to 'convert' certain dishes (putting a burger/sandwich on a gf bun or 'hold' the sauce on a dish), and not so easy to convert others (no GF fried chicken or corn dogs, sorry).

Tell dad that there are not a lot of fresh 'snacky' things in the parks. No churros, no fresh baked goods. Plenty of packaged snacks though and popcorn and fresh fruit. Dole Whips are GF AND Sprinkles cupcakes in DTD do a very good GF cupcake. I usually throw in a few GF granola bars so I don't get 'hangry'.

Relax, don't worry, have fun. I've never been 'glutened' at Disney. And I always eat very well.

Oh, one more thing. At QS/CS places the GF meals take between 15-20 minutes longer to prepare so the non GF people are usually half done eating when I get my food. BFF and I have worked around this by having me get in line first and she gets in line about two parties behind me. This seems to coordinate OK with our food being done at about the same time. We pay separately which may have something to do with it, I don't know if they coordinate with the non GF people if you're paying on one tab. At TS, this isn't an issue.

Last edited:
One of the big things that keeps me coming back to Disney for vacations is their GF menu at nearly all restaurants (wife diagnosed with Celiac). If I go to Hawaii, or Mexico, or anywhere else, finding GF is a chore.

The big thing to remember is that anything on a bun can become GF with their Udi buns. So that makes the quick services meals easy. And all the TS places have GF options - even the Italian pasta places!

And here's a GF tip outside of DL that we discovered on our trip a few weeks ago. We were going to the convention center each day and we were at Ramada Plaza on Katella, so we would walk down to Gardenwalk and hit California Pizza Kitchen. My wife said it was the best GF pizza she's ever had BY FAR! My kids, who are picky, also liked the white sauce pizza. And I would say avoid the California Club. Pizza and lettuce just don't mix - bleh.

My daughter's choir will be taking a trip to DLR in November, and one of her friends who cannot eat foods with gluten is also a vegetarian. I did look at the links provided above (thank you!), so I can now tell her friend's mom about options like the toasted cheese and tomato soup and the caprese sandwich at Jolly Holiday. But if anyone who is also vegetarian and needs gluten-free foods has other ideas, too, we'd be grateful to hear them. The kids are only at DL for one day (I think just DL and not DCA), and it would be great for my daughter's friend to have options around the park so that he can eat where his friends are eating. We're also trying to come up with something he can bring on the bus trip home the next day, as the bus will probably be stopping for fast food (which would mean he would need to bring something with him to eat in order not to risk being glutened). I'm thinking they/we (I might chaperone) could bring a little cooler to keep whatever it is fresh for the bus ride and ask the hotel to chill the packs if there isn't a fridge in the rooms. Thanks in advance for any help. My daughter's friend is a great kid, and we want him to be able to participate in the trip and have a great and safe time!

Just mention the allergy at counter service places. They'll have a menu. I ordered mine first, paid, then DH ordered his and the kids. I could help get the kids situated with theirs while waiting for mine. It didn't seem to take too much longer.
Thansk for sharing this tip. Although my kids need the gc/cf!

My daughter's choir will be taking a trip to DLR in November, and one of her friends who cannot eat foods with gluten is also a vegetarian. I did look at the links provided above (thank you!), so I can now tell her friend's mom about options like the toasted cheese and tomato soup and the caprese sandwich at Jolly Holiday. But if anyone who is also vegetarian and needs gluten-free foods has other ideas, too, we'd be grateful to hear them. The kids are only at DL for one day (I think just DL and not DCA), and it would be great for my daughter's friend to have options around the park so that he can eat where his friends are eating. We're also trying to come up with something he can bring on the bus trip home the next day, as the bus will probably be stopping for fast food (which would mean he would need to bring something with him to eat in order not to risk being glutened). I'm thinking they/we (I might chaperone) could bring a little cooler to keep whatever it is fresh for the bus ride and ask the hotel to chill the packs if there isn't a fridge in the rooms. Thanks in advance for any help. My daughter's friend is a great kid, and we want him to be able to participate in the trip and have a great and safe time!
Boardwalk pizza & pasta has great gf pasta with marinara. I'm not sure they have gf meatballs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter