Gluten, you won't stop me from eating at Disney!!

Thank you once again for sharing your dining experiences. I love reading allergy reviews.

I totally agree about Polynesian being an amazing resort for food allergies. I'm struggling with the fact that we're staying at an Epcot area resort for our upcoming trip so I didn't book a single Poly ADR as I want to take advantage of the restaurants around my resort. I'd love to go back and stay at Poly again in the future. The chefs there are AMAZING. Even at Captain Cook's, the chef went to the upstairs kitchen at Kona to prepare a stir fry dish for DD13 and grabbed some chicken noodle soup from Kona for DD11 (DD11 isn't gluten free but does have other allergies; she must have eaten that soup 3 or 4 times on our last trip). I can't say enough good things about those chefs.

What a weird experience at the Plaza. I think when we're there in August (just booked an ADR there), I'll ask for the chef right away if the server just plops the book down in front of me. We have way too many allergies for that. We're booking TS so we'd have an easier time. I definitely do have dessert planned as I saw a picture of a dairy free banana split one time and that's something my kids have asked about in the past but never had the pleasure of ever trying. I wonder if we should just skip the meals and go straight for dessert since we have a buffet booked for dinner that night? LOL I wonder if they carry soy cheese because that cheese steak sounds wonderful. Some places do. When I finally contact Special Diets, I'll definitely be asking specific questions about this place since it'll be our first time there and I'm nervous about eating at a place that serves primarily sandwiches when my kids can't eat the typical allergy breads (other allergies).

One of these years I need to make it over to Boma. I keep reading such great reviews. It sounds WONDERFUL!!

Just an FYI about buffets. Chefs will definitely get you fresh stuff from the back in order to avoid the cross contamination. Like you saw, lots of people use a singe set of tongs or spoons to get food from multiple dishes. Cross contamination is pretty much a guarantee.

Your welcome!:goodvibes Thanks for reminding me too...:rolleyes1:laughing:

Oh, I completely agree about the Polynesian. It was hands down the best all around allergy experience. I'm contemplating staying there our next trip just because of that! And I'm very intrigued by Captain Cook's too, especially after you said that the chef went out of his way for your DD. That's phenomenal service.:thumbsup2

The Plaza was a bizarre experience, it's a table service restaurant yet you're supposed to verify your own allergy food? Very strange and it was the only TS that did that. But I loved the food and atmosphere! I think you're right, ask for the chef once you're seated. That's where I went wrong. I was so unsure of the procedure there that it didn't occur to me to just ask for the chef rather than thumb through that encyclopedia of ingredients!:laughing: I'll definitely know better for next time and I will order dessert there too.

For you DD's, will they eat sandwichs without the bread? Because honestly, my steak and cheese was so tasty that it really didn't even need the bun it came with. I left most of it on the plate.

Boma is delicious! Though I think I preferred the breakfast over the dinner. I didn't realize you could ask for food from the kitchen rather than the buffet line either! That is very good to know. Those tongs at dinner were really disturbing me!:laughing: I kept thinking what if, what if, what if...

I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip in August!:goodvibes

They eat bunless burgers all the time and I did see a burger on the menu. I saw on the menu that they'll grill up mushrooms so I know DD13 will be thrilled since she's recently developed a love of all kinds of mushrooms. I need to find myself a good asian market so I can try out a variety of different mushrooms. She's loved the kinds I've served so far and keeps asking for more. She'll definitely be happy with that. DD11, well, she's fine with it. I think she'll likely prefer a kid sized burger without bun so that she has plenty of room for dessert. She's such a typical kid. LOL She snacks on lunch meats all the time at home so I'm sure she'll find something she'll be happy with.

At buffets, most chefs won't come out and volunteer to get stuff from the back but most are very happy to do so when asked. I've had one or two chefs who've acted like I'm being paranoid but I try not to let those bother me as long as they actually do get the food. They certainly make me nervous about what they're preparing since I take that as a sign that they don't really appreciate the concept of cross contamination.

Definitely give Poly a try. We're in love with the resort. The only reason we booked elsewhere for this trip is that there wasn't availability under our bounceback for our prefered room category at Poly plus DH was already getting wistfull about how Poly will always remind him of our travel companions and make him miss them so much (his oldest daughter and her husband). I think he'll get over it eventually and we'll be able to return home. I LOVED the chefs at Poly. They had me fighting back tears (of joy and appreciation; not sad tears) on more than one occasion.

They eat bunless burgers all the time and I did see a burger on the menu. I saw on the menu that they'll grill up mushrooms so I know DD13 will be thrilled since she's recently developed a love of all kinds of mushrooms. I need to find myself a good asian market so I can try out a variety of different mushrooms. She's loved the kinds I've served so far and keeps asking for more. She'll definitely be happy with that. DD11, well, she's fine with it. I think she'll likely prefer a kid sized burger without bun so that she has plenty of room for dessert. She's such a typical kid. LOL She snacks on lunch meats all the time at home so I'm sure she'll find something she'll be happy with.

At buffets, most chefs won't come out and volunteer to get stuff from the back but most are very happy to do so when asked. I've had one or two chefs who've acted like I'm being paranoid but I try not to let those bother me as long as they actually do get the food. They certainly make me nervous about what they're preparing since I take that as a sign that they don't really appreciate the concept of cross contamination.

Definitely give Poly a try. We're in love with the resort. The only reason we booked elsewhere for this trip is that there wasn't availability under our bounceback for our prefered room category at Poly plus DH was already getting wistfull about how Poly will always remind him of our travel companions and make him miss them so much (his oldest daughter and her husband). I think he'll get over it eventually and we'll be able to return home. I LOVED the chefs at Poly. They had me fighting back tears (of joy and appreciation; not sad tears) on more than one occasion.

Ah, lunch meat! One of my favorites now too since going GF (I love Applegate Farms!). I usually cook up two slices with a piece of cheese in between. Just like a sandwich!:laughing: I call it a ham pocket.:laughing: I love the flavor mushrooms add but I can't abide the texture. DH thinks I'm so strange! Great that your DD loves them, they are so good for you.

I feel much better now knowing I can ask for food from the kitchen at buffets. Since seeing such tong misuse, I'd feel much more comfortable asking. Cross contamination is a huge issue for food allergies, huge!

We've stayed at the Poly twice in the past, I love the theming! Once I walk inside the Great Ceremonial House, it's like being transported to Hawaii. Though I've never actually been so I suppose it's what I imagine Hawaii to be like.:laughing: I can understand your DH's sentimental attachment too, the Poly was where we first stayed with our girls in 2008 for their first trip.:goodvibes

I too was choking back the tears at the Poly when the chefs came out to check on my mine and DD11's meal. I was just so appreciative of their effort, it made me very emotional. I couldn't help it!:goodvibes Not to mention that they all seemed genuinely interested, helpful and concerned. I was blown away, really.:goodvibes

I used to buy the Applegate Farms deli meats, but I've since switched to the natural line of Hormel meats. The Hormel stuff is SO much cheaper and I can get it at any grocery store and even at our nearby Super Wal-Mart. My kids also prefer the taste of the Hormel stuff so it worked out well for us.

Try large pieces of lettuce as a wrap. It's so fresh light. You can even use shredded cheese for a different texture if you want a cold wrap.

FYI: My DH KNOWS i'm strange, especially when it comes to food textures. LMAO!!! I've got so many little oddities is scary. Of course I'm also pretty sure I have Asperger Syndrome just like DD13 so I just blame it on sensory issues. I love having an excuse. LOL

I used to buy the Applegate Farms deli meats, but I've since switched to the natural line of Hormel meats. The Hormel stuff is SO much cheaper and I can get it at any grocery store and even at our nearby Super Wal-Mart. My kids also prefer the taste of the Hormel stuff so it worked out well for us.

Try large pieces of lettuce as a wrap. It's so fresh light. You can even use shredded cheese for a different texture if you want a cold wrap.

FYI: My DH KNOWS i'm strange, especially when it comes to food textures. LMAO!!! I've got so many little oddities is scary. Of course I'm also pretty sure I have Asperger Syndrome just like DD13 so I just blame it on sensory issues. I love having an excuse. LOL

Oh, I buy the Hormel too. Their ham is really good, it tastes just like a full size holiday one! Delicious.

Thanks for the lettuce wrap idea, that sounds good. It's so funny how differently I eat now because of gluten. I am much more aware of ingredients and what I put into my body. I never even used to look before.:eek: I love how some of the GF food is simple too, like the stuff from Enjoy Life or Larabars.

Hmm, I don't have Aspergers and I'm definitely strange!:laughing: No excuse for me then!:laughing:

Oh you ladies are reminding me how much I love the Poly restaurants...I love, love, love Ohana and Kona. I could just sit and drool thinking about the Big Kahuna breakfast modified to have gf/cf mickey waffles...:lmao: I've had Chef Katrina a couple of times, and she is very nice and excellent with the allergies (except for the first time I had her, she gave me butter on the side, but not a huge deal since the rest of the food wasn't cooked in butter or had dairy). I am wondering why I didn't add one of those restaurants to my trip next weekend...well, for the next time for sure!

I'm moving to FL in about a month and will be a little less than 2 hours from WDW...I think an Ohana celebratory dinner will be in order! (and lots more reviews!) :thumbsup2

I've had Chef Katrina a couple of times, and she is very nice and excellent with the allergies (except for the first time I had her, she gave me butter on the side, but not a huge deal since the rest of the food wasn't cooked in butter or had dairy).

My DD7 is GF/CF and the only restaurants that she actually spoke to the chefs would be at Kona's and Ohana's! She wouldn't even look at, much less speak to the other chefs at the other restaurants!! But by the time we left Ohana's, she was giving Chef Brad hugs!! (Which is highly unusual for her!! Ask my DD her favorite thing about this last Disney trip, and I guarantee that she will say "her personal chefs!" LOL)

Just wanted to comment that the Polynesian restaurants were one of the few places that we were able to find dairy free butter. Chef Katrina couldn't understand why other places didn't have it!! Neither could I for that matter!!! :confused3:confused3:confused3

My DD7 is GF/CF and the only restaurants that she actually spoke to the chefs would be at Kona's and Ohana's! She wouldn't even look at, much less speak to the other chefs at the other restaurants!! But by the time we left Ohana's, she was giving Chef Brad hugs!! (Which is highly unusual for her!! Ask my DD her favorite thing about this last Disney trip, and I guarantee that she will say "her personal chefs!" LOL)

Just wanted to comment that the Polynesian restaurants were one of the few places that we were able to find dairy free butter. Chef Katrina couldn't understand why other places didn't have it!! Neither could I for that matter!!! :confused3:confused3:confused3

Chef Brad was great!! The night before we ate at 'Ohana I told Chef Johnny (in room dining chef who oversees allergies) that we wouldn't be ordering anything the next night because we'd be eating at 'Ohana so he let Chef Brad know of our girls' preferences. He went out of his way to hold aside some wings for our girls without any marinade and then even lightly breaded them using a gluten free mixture and fried them for a nice crispy coating. He really talked with the girls about their preferences and made them feel really special. All of the Poly chefs actually conspired to make that particular meal extra special for us but that's a whole other story. It was hard not to cry that night.

OK, I need to figure out a way to get another trip to Poly. I miss it (well, I miss the people; I do like the theming but really it's the people). :thumbsup2

Oh you ladies are reminding me how much I love the Poly restaurants...I love, love, love Ohana and Kona. I could just sit and drool thinking about the Big Kahuna breakfast modified to have gf/cf mickey waffles...:lmao: I've had Chef Katrina a couple of times, and she is very nice and excellent with the allergies (except for the first time I had her, she gave me butter on the side, but not a huge deal since the rest of the food wasn't cooked in butter or had dairy). I am wondering why I didn't add one of those restaurants to my trip next weekend...well, for the next time for sure!

I'm moving to FL in about a month and will be a little less than 2 hours from WDW...I think an Ohana celebratory dinner will be in order! (and lots more reviews!) :thumbsup2

Isn't the Poly great?:thumbsup2 They were impressive both in service and food.

Lucky! You're moving to Florida!:goodvibes Oh, an Ohana dinner is definitely in order!:goodvibes Congratulations!

I agree, all of the chefs at the Poly were so incredibly personable. I wanted to hug them too! Chef Brad was my first chef I had at my first GF meal and I was close to tears with the amazing service he provided.:thumbsup2 I hope those chefs realize how wonderful they make people with food allergies feel. I am so weary of eating out at home but they really made it such a satisfying experience.

Chef Brad was great!! The night before we ate at 'Ohana I told Chef Johnny (in room dining chef who oversees allergies) that we wouldn't be ordering anything the next night because we'd be eating at 'Ohana so he let Chef Brad know of our girls' preferences. He went out of his way to hold aside some wings for our girls without any marinade and then even lightly breaded them using a gluten free mixture and fried them for a nice crispy coating. He really talked with the girls about their preferences and made them feel really special. All of the Poly chefs actually conspired to make that particular meal extra special for us but that's a whole other story. It was hard not to cry that night.

OK, I need to figure out a way to get another trip to Poly. I miss it (well, I miss the people; I do like the theming but really it's the people). :thumbsup2

Ditto!:thumbsup2 Chef Brad is amazing. He also had such a nice, gentle manner too which put both my DD11 and myself at ease immediately.:goodvibes I'm sure he thought I was insane when I thanked him profusely at the end of my meal with tears in my eyes!:laughing:

Yup, sounds like you need another trip to the Poly!:laughing: Good luck convincing your DH!:goodvibes

I thought this would be the place to find ya!

yellow-flower-mothers-day.gif

Happy Mothers Day!!!!

Oh my word Kathy! I'm so sorry I overlooked this. Thank you so much!:goodvibes I did have a wonderful Mother's Day complete with gluten free crepes made by my DH. He's a keeper for sure!:thumbsup2

Thank you so much for this wonderful thread and awesome report! I am making the change to gluten-free after developing more food allergies than I am used to dealing with. I am so glad that Disney is so accommodating and there are options available. I am not so worried about my food issues for our upcoming trip anymore!

You're so very welcome!:goodvibes Disney is incredibly accomodating, I still can't believe how well I was able to eat without getting sick too.:thumbsup2 I really was a bit of a nervous wreck beforehand but it went so well! I can't wait to return and that's saying alot since I hardly ever eat out at home.

Thanks so much for doing this report! My son is allergic to peanuts and pea's. We've also delt with a reaction while at WDW in the past and I've been extremely nervous ever since. It's nice to see how each restaurants servers and chef's conducted themselves. When I get one that seems annoyed, it makes me want to just get up and walk out. In fact, we've done it before!!

I agree about the restaurants at the Poly!! Kona and Ohana have been our best experiences so far.

Thank you!:goodvibes And you're very welcome! I can't tell you how helpful it was for me to see reviews before my trip too. Honestly, I extremely nervous before going to Disney. It was hard for me to really understand that they could be so good with food allergies, particulary gluten. You should be excited to eat there, you'll love it!:goodvibes

Thanks Brook!:goodvibes It tasted even better than it looked. I felt bad tearing down that tower of noodles in the middle though!:laughing:

Ohana was one of the best experiences I had on this trip, we ate here twice for dinner and once for lunch. I highly recommend it!:thumbsup2

Thanks Sarah!:goodvibes I have an appt. on Tuesday for testing so we'll see what comes of that. You're right, there is alot of debate about vinegar for celiacs. Some say that if it's distilled, then there isn't any protein present while others say they react to it regardless. Ugh, doesn't trial and error stink? I hate elimination diets!:laughing:

Thanks for answering my question!:goodvibes

Would rice vinegar work?

You're so very welcome!:goodvibes Disney is incredibly accomodating, I still can't believe how well I was able to eat without getting sick too.:thumbsup2 I really was a bit of a nervous wreck beforehand but it went so well! I can't wait to return and that's saying alot since I hardly ever eat out at home.

Thank you so much for this thread - I have two friends with issues in this area and have copied it to both of them! Hope you get to make your return trip SOON!

Thanks so much for doing this report! My son is allergic to peanuts and pea's. We've also delt with a reaction while at WDW in the past and I've been extremely nervous ever since. It's nice to see how each restaurants servers and chef's conducted themselves. When I get one that seems annoyed, it makes me want to just get up and walk out. In fact, we've done it before!!

I agree about the restaurants at the Poly!! Kona and Ohana have been our best experiences so far.

You're very welcome!:goodvibes My oldest DD11 has allergies to tree nuts, coconut and shellfish. I was VERY nervous about her as well but she had absolutely zero issues. We always have to carry an epi-pen for her just in case since her reactions are anaphylactic.

I was highly impressed overall with the chefs. They really seemed to care about what I was saying and did their best to ensure safe meals for both myself and my DD11. I think that's such an important aspect of dining with food allergies...that the chef put you at ease. It really helped me relax and enjoy my meal.

Oh yes, the Poly is the best!!:thumbsup2:goodvibes If I had to pick one resort (area) that made me feel the safest and had the best tasting food, I'd say the Poly. We ate there for five of our meals (twice at Kona, three times at Ohana) and everything was so wonderful I could've cried!:laughing:

Would rice vinegar work?

I seem to react to the standard, distilled white vinegar. Strangely enough, the rice vinegar at PF Chang's doesn't bother me. It's so odd. Apple cider vinegar seems to be ok for me too, though the taste is kind of blech!

Thank you so much for this thread - I have two friends with issues in this area and have copied it to both of them! Hope you get to make your return trip SOON!

You're so very welcome!:goodvibes Really, I'm such a worry wart and was, in a way, dreading our vacation to Disney this past Feb. (since it was to be my first GF experience there.) I am happy to report that I cannot wait to return, that's how confident I am that Disney can provide safe allergy free food! I'd go right now if DH gave me the go ahead!:laughing: But realistically we're looking more at mid-January.

Tell your friends that Disney has an excellent reputation with food allergies!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter