• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

!#%!* gnats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Worst we've ever seen them

FINFAN

Mom to Tinkbell
:furious: They have beaten us down....been doing yard work since mid-May and they swarm at us like in a cartoon. We have NEVER had gnats this bad. Anyone else? Bug spray, bug-zappers, citronella, NOPE, nothing even makes a dent. They get stuck in my hair, eyelashes, get in my eyes, up the nose, in the ears, sheer torture!
We are in the western 'burbs of IL..and I'm about ready to use the flamethrower! SO not fair after the winter we endured

:furious: They have beaten us down....been doing yard work since mid-May and they swarm at us like in a cartoon. We have NEVER had gnats this bad. Anyone else? Bug spray, bug-zappers, citronella, NOPE, nothing even makes a dent. They get stuck in my hair, eyelashes, get in my eyes, up the nose, in the ears, sheer torture!
We are in the western 'burbs of IL..and I'm about ready to use the flamethrower! SO not fair after the winter we endured

This summer was to be more bug infested. We use a fogger bc we are beside a creek and our property has a pond as well as our neighbours. The oil fine fog mist is more effective.

I hate gnats----try vanilla body spray or Absorbine Jr. Works great for me. The Ansorbine just dab in different parts of the body and the Vanilla just spritz yourself.

They are HORRIBLE this year. :furious:

Honestly, there are only 2 products that have ever worked for me to keep the gnats away -1. Absorbine Jr. (honest to goodness they won't come near ya) and 2. Bug Soother (product made here in Iowa that no one can keep stocked this year). Worth every penny.

The Absorbine Jr. stinks, but I don't care. I swear I become hyper-sensitive in the summer with bugs on my skin. I feel every single one and they drive me INSANE. The Bug Soother smells awesome - lemony vanilla type scent and it works well too.

What drives me nuts is they want to be in my eyes, nose, and mouth...there's a huge world out there to live in lil' bugger - you get close to me and your not going to live long enough to see it! :rolleyes1

I just read the other day about using vanilla extract for gnats. We have had some swarms this summer already so I'll be testing it out soon!

Thanks for all the suggestions , will give them a try. So the absorbine, bug soother or vanilla , does it keep them from buzzing all around you or just from wanting to land on you? Of all years to fix up all our landscaping, on our own. :rolleyes: So you all are having increased swarms too?

We have some real little annoying ones around here. They get in the lawn and then stir up like a cloud when you walk through them. And they chomp you fierce. We use jars, punch a hole in the lid with a nail, and put Apple Cider vinegar in them and put the lid on it. Those little things love it. They get in, but they don't get out. On our plants, we spray with a few squirts of lemon scented dish soap mixed in with water in a spray bottle. Unfortunately, to get rid of the eggs, you need to let soil dry down to about 2 inches. Your plants or lawn won't like it too much but they'll come back when you're able to water again.

As for keeping them off me, I just wear an old pair of long pants and an old pair of socks and spray them down with cutter or off. That way I don't have to spray myself with it and it keeps the bug spray away from my skin. I also wear a long sleeve shirt and spray it too. That keeps most of em away.

Thanks for all the suggestions , will give them a try. So the absorbine, bug soother or vanilla , does it keep them from buzzing all around you or just from wanting to land on you? Of all years to fix up all our landscaping, on our own. :rolleyes: So you all are having increased swarms too?

For me, both keep them totally away. With the Absorbine I dab it in a t-zone on my face and then a couple dabs right underneath my ears and a swipe across my neck. For the rest of me I quick swipe up my arms (especially the BACKS of my arms) and up the front/back of my legs.

For the Bug Soother it's all natural so I just close my eyes and spray it all over. It smells soooo good. :)

Thought the deep south had a corner on annoying flying, biting insects - guess not! We've hardly been bothered thankfully.

For the pp on 'Skin so Soft' - 'never' worked on me or my kids!

What does seem to work for us - 'lye' soap that you buy at craft/touristy stores. We get ours in the Smokies. We 'cream' it on before going outside, then wash with it when we come in. Not 100% for everyone, but comes close for us. We work in our flowers a lot - keeps chiggers (redbugs) and ticks at bay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter