Go through neighbors trash?

Bnb0627

Mouseketeer
I ordered an IPad from Staples for my daughter and it was to be delivered on Thursday. I followed the tracking number through UPS and saw that it said my package was delivered to my front door at 4:02. Went outside and there was a package but it was my neighbors. My address ends in 16 theirs is 26. So I figured it was a mistake by UPS and went to my neighbor to exchange. They said they did not have my package. I don't know them that well but thought why would they lie. Someone could have stolen it off their porch or maybe it was delivered to another house. My husband is furious and thinks we should go through their trash to check for the packaging. I have to admit I am curious but I don't want to look like a weirdo, or accuse someone of being a liar when I don't know what really happened.

UPS was of no help btw, they told me they were going to call the driver to see what happened and that someone would call me within an hour. After two hours I called back and they said they were still investigating. Another 3 hours later they called and asked if I had gotten my package yet. They did not contact the driver and told me that I had to contact the seller to file an investigation and claim and to do it as soon as possible. Well thanks that would have been helpful at 5pm when I first called but now at 10pm I have to wait until the next day to call. Staples is supposed to call me on Monday hopefully I can get the IPad before Christmas!

I ordered an IPad from Staples for my daughter and it was to be delivered on Thursday. I followed the tracking number through UPS and saw that it said my package was delivered to my front door at 4:02. Went outside and there was a package but it was my neighbors. My address ends in 16 theirs is 26. So I figured it was a mistake by UPS and went to my neighbor to exchange. They said they did not have my package. I don't know them that well but thought why would they lie. Someone could have stolen it off their porch or maybe it was delivered to another house. My husband is furious and thinks we should go through their trash to check for the packaging. I have to admit I am curious but I don't want to look like a weirdo, or accuse someone of being a liar when I don't know what really happened.

UPS was of no help btw, they told me they were going to call the driver to see what happened and that someone would call me within an hour. After two hours I called back and they said they were still investigating. Another 3 hours later they called and asked if I had gotten my package yet. They did not contact the driver and told me that I had to contact the seller to file an investigation and claim and to do it as soon as possible. Well thanks that would have been helpful at 5pm when I first called but now at 10pm I have to wait until the next day to call. Staples is supposed to call me on Monday hopefully I can get the IPad before Christmas!

Yeah, no way in heck I'd be going through the neighbor's trash or accusing them of being a liar. It's Christmas time--lots of people are getting packages. Just assuming they received your package and are lying about it is a pretty huge leap and not something your neighbors are ever going to forget if you're wrong.

I had a package that was mis-delivered to a neighbor several houses down once. They were extremely apologetic because not only was it delivered to them in error but the UPS guy had put it in an unobtrusive place on the side of their house so it was like two weeks before they'd found it. By that time, I'd contacted the vendor who had re-sent my package.

Go through the regular process of contacting Staples and have them investigate.

I was on your neighbors end not to long ago can't speak for your neighbor but in my case I did everything I could to get the package back to the right person. Believe me I don't want a package that does not belong to me

I know it has to be totally frustrating, especially with something expensive like that. It is highly likely that they just also received a package and they are telling the truth about not having your package. I also would probably refrain from digging through their garbage. It could make for an awkward relationship for years to come.

I know it has to be totally frustrating, especially with something expensive like that. It is highly likely that they just also received a package and they are telling the truth about not having your package. I also would probably refrain from digging through their garbage. It could make for an awkward relationship for years to come.

This and besides if one did "dig", and found evidence then what recourse could be had? A person that would keep something that was not theirs isn't going to right a wrong. IMO

I hope this gets resolved for you, and soon.,,

I also agree with one pp here. I'd never want a pkg that didn't belong to me. One never knows what they may be opening themselves up to.

Call Staples and tell them what happened.

This happened to me too. I was 99 percent sure my neighbors had the package.
I didn't ask them -we don't talk much.

Amazon sent me another one

Then 2 months later -my neighbors bought the package over -pretty strange right?

Don't dig through the neighbors trash! When we have something expensive being delivered we request a signature to be needed at time of delivery, did you request a signature? If not, I would for the next one.

I had something similar happen. UPS said they delivered a package and I never got it. I was going crazy searching to see if they left it in the back or by the garage. I was going back and forth with the seller and with UPS. Finally, I got a report from UPS sent to me and it detailed all the info. Turns out they delivered it to a house down the street.

Anyway, UPS said they got the address from the company I ordered from, so I contacted them and it turns out they put in my address in their system wrong, so UPS got the wrong address from the company I ordered from. They re-shipped at no cost to me.

I would call UPS and ask for the shipping report to be e-mailed to you so you can see the info they received from Staples. It's possible Staples input your address wrong.

OP, it's a little unclear what your neighbour exactly said. Did they say they hadn't received ANY package, or just not your package? If they denied getting a delivery when you physically saw one sitting on their porch, I'd be thinking they have your iPad. :rolleyes1 It's kind of convoluted that a) your package was mis-delivered to their house and then b) some random person snatched it before they noticed. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding - you got their package but they got nothing?

Tough situation for you all around - I hope you get resolution! :goodvibes

OP, it's a little unclear what your neighbour exactly said. Did they say they hadn't received ANY package, or just not your package? If they denied getting a delivery when you physically saw one sitting on their porch, I'd be thinking they have your iPad. :rolleyes1 It's kind of convoluted that a) your package was mis-delivered to their house and then b) some random person snatched it before they noticed. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding - you got their package but they got nothing?

Before I would blame my neighbors, I would go through UPS. I also read an article that a lot of thieves are going in neighborhoods stealing packages left at the front door.

Another thing to consider with the neighbors. We have several people in my house that come and go, sometimes someone will bring in a package left at the door and I won't know about it for a day or more. Maybe the neighbor has that situation going on and they don't know they got a package.

I wouldn't assume that just because you got their package that they got yours. Your package could have been delivered to another neighbor with a 6 in the address or to your next door neighbor or anywhere else. I agree that going through the trash is a bad idea that could cause more problems than it's worth.

Just some random thoughts.

If I were your neighbors and stole your iPad, I don't think I'd be stupid enough to keep the evidence hanging around, let alone throw it away in the trash. But you never know with people. (So no, going through trash probably won't yield much. I'd think they'd sell it, if anything, because the serial number is traceable when registering the iPad. And even with selling it it will likely be traceable to them.)

I'd probably have a talk with the police to see what they say while I was waiting for the companies to investigate. (But I wouldn't expect them to do anything, just maybe advise you. They would also know if it's been happening in local neighborhoods, etc.)

Good luck.

I agree with everyone else that you should not go through the neighbor's trash. For several reasons including that your package could have easily been delivered somewhere else entirely.
I would work with UPS and Staples and let them handle it--they will. It's a pain and I'm sorry you have to deal with this with a looming deadline of CHristmas.

I don't see where the OP says anything about having physically seen a package on the neighbor's porch? :confused3

In some places it's illegal to go through someone else's garbage. It's their property (and probably on their property), so even if you found something you couldn't do anything about it. Let Staples handle it.

It does suck when you think someone has taken something that doesn't belong to them. I often wonder where these people learned taking something that isn't theirs is ok. Most learned by watching their families, others just are missing something in their conscience.

It could also just be a mistake on UPS' part. We were expecting a delivery the other day from UPS and the tracking said it had been delivered and signed for. DH called Amazon only to find out the item was damaged and the signature was from a UPS employee in IN who was returning the item. But, at first we thought it had been delivered to the wrong house and we were not happy. Plus, the item was now out of stock. Oh well.

I agree that going through your neighbors trash is a very poor choice. There are lots of things that can happen to a package and we have had quite a few of them happen:). Sometimes a driver can put it somewhere you would never expect it to be. Like on the back porch, under the grill instead of on your large covered front porch:confused3. Sometimes packages in our area end up at the nearby school:confused3,sometimes tracking can SAY it arrived but it is really still on the truck and went back to the warehouse because "no one was home". :worship:Yep, we have a loud bell, but somehow we have missed more that a few deliveries. It's Christmas and there are extra drivers off of their regular routes. While the neighbors COULD have taken it, lots of other situations are much more likely!! I have quite a bit of stuff coming this week, hoping we don't have ANY of these things happen to us!

That's how I read it. The OP saw a package on her own porch. Unfortunately, the package actually belonged to her neighbour.

OP - when you were tracking on UPS how did you get the tracking number? From Staples? Can you/did you confirm that the tracking number had your proper address on it? Is it possible that you were tracking your neighbour's package all along and your package hasn't' shipped yet?

I'm definitely with those that say do not go through your neighbour's porch. Just because their package got delivered to you, that doesn't mean that your package got delivered to them.

In some places it's illegal to go through someone else's garbage. It's their property (and probably on their property), so even if you found something you couldn't do anything about it. Let Staples handle it.

It does suck when you think someone has taken something that doesn't belong to them. I often wonder where these people learned taking something that isn't theirs is ok. Most learned by watching their families, others just are missing something in their conscience.

It could also just be a mistake on UPS' part. We were expecting a delivery the other day from UPS and the tracking said it had been delivered and signed for. DH called Amazon only to find out the item was damaged and the signature was from a UPS employee in IN who was returning the item. But, at first we thought it had been delivered to the wrong house and we were not happy. Plus, the item was now out of stock. Oh well.
Only if the trash has not been put out for pickup.

If the trash has been put out for pickup, it is considered discarded and the owner has relinquished their rights to it.

It is legal everywhere to pick through discarded trash and recycling as long as you are not breaking any other laws such as trespassing.

However, in this case, I would agree with the other posters and not do it. It is the holiday season. Our news has been warning that thieves are actually following UPS trucks, so it would not be unusual for a package to be delivered to the wrong house and be stolen.

Our news has already posted two home surveillance videos of people walking up to porches and just grabbing packages. One was a mom with kids and a dog in her car.

That's how I read it. The OP saw a package on her own porch. Unfortunately, the package actually belonged to her neighbour.

OP - when you were tracking on UPS how did you get the tracking number? From Staples? Can you/did you confirm that the tracking number had your proper address on it? Is it possible that you were tracking your neighbour's package all along and your package hasn't' shipped yet?

I'm definitely with those that say do not go through your neighbour's porch. Just because their package got delivered to you, that doesn't mean that your package got delivered to them.

This.

OK...this is where I was messed up.

If it's an iPad, couldn't you just contact the seller to get the serial number, and then Apple could find out if and where it's been activated? I don't know if that's a privacy violation & if Apple would release the info, but I'd think they would as part of a criminal investigation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter