Going Deluxe - am I crazy?

I feel like I'm crazy for wanting to stay at a deluxe as well. I'm a local AP, but have never stayed on property (only moved to Orlando a year ago). I've stayed at 2 different Disney Springs hotels, but that's it.

I am planning on a birthday trip in February and some friends come down and join (live 6 hrs away, some of them are AP as well). We were supposed to be doing the Star Wars run back in April, and we were staying at AoA in a suite. We talked about doing the marathon weekend, but after as quick as the AP registration went (none of us got a 5k), I suggestion we postpone a month and meet up for my Bday, and use that money toward a nicer resort. They all agreed.

I so badly want to stay in either BC or BWI. We're gonna probably spend most of our time at HS/Epcot, which is why I don't care to do a MK resort (even though GF is high up on the list). MK may be a half day for us. We're just gonna be there 3 nights. I feel I should be financially responsible and suggest a moderate (Caribbean? since it has skyliner access or even Swan/Dolphin), but I've always wanted to stay on the boardwalk

I feel like I'm crazy for wanting to stay at a deluxe as well. I'm a local AP, but have never stayed on property (only moved to Orlando a year ago). I've stayed at 2 different Disney Springs hotels, but that's it.

I am planning on a birthday trip in February and some friends come down and join (live 6 hrs away, some of them are AP as well). We were supposed to be doing the Star Wars run back in April, and we were staying at AoA in a suite. We talked about doing the marathon weekend, but after as quick as the AP registration went (none of us got a 5k), I suggestion we postpone a month and meet up for my Bday, and use that money toward a nicer resort. They all agreed.

I so badly want to stay in either BC or BWI. We're gonna probably spend most of our time at HS/Epcot, which is why I don't care to do a MK resort (even though GF is high up on the list). MK may be a half day for us. We're just gonna be there 3 nights. I feel I should be financially responsible and suggest a moderate (Caribbean? since it has skyliner access or even Swan/Dolphin), but I've always wanted to stay on the boardwalk

We also were both supposed to run the Star Wars Half this past April and it was so disappointing to go through the cancellation, hence (partly) my utter desperation to do something to make up for it. If you want to celebrate your birthday in a special way cross BWI off your bucket list! I will say we’ve stayed at CBR a few times and it’s a great moderate if you decide to go that way you won’t be disappointed. Staying on property in any fashion is incredibly fun. I’ll report back from YC and let you know what I think ;)

DH tried to talk me down from Deluxe to POR or POFQ which I am totally open to staying at in the future when we're doing a more parks-heavy visit, would love to hear more about those as well.
I just like the vibe at Riverside. We have also stayed POFQ. Yeehaa Bob plays there in the lounge. definitely worth seeing him. The kids like Riversides pool. I also like the boat to DS.

We also were both supposed to run the Star Wars Half this past April and it was so disappointing to go through the cancellation, hence (partly) my utter desperation to do something to make up for it. If you want to celebrate your birthday in a special way cross BWI off your bucket list! I will say we’ve stayed at CBR a few times and it’s a great moderate if you decide to go that way you won’t be disappointed. Staying on property in any fashion is incredibly fun. I’ll report back from YC and let you know what I think ;)

What makes it hard, I know i'd need to try to book BWI asap (if it's even still available), but considering I'm jobless at the moment, I just can't pull off the funds right now.

You had me at BWI

Once we started staying in the Deluxe locations we never went back to moderates - we've never stayed in values. If you decide to do this stay in a deluxe that is extensively bus service so you don't get spoiled by the ability to walk. Our first Deluxe was BC - walking right into the Epcot World Showcase cause my husband to never want to return to CBR. For a resort only vacation we like Saratoga Springs - 3 large pool areas with food and beverage immediate access plus slides and walking to the Springs at night = marvelous.

Hey DISboards fam,

Looking for some POVs on staying at a Deluxe resort for a week-long trip (or maybe doing a split stay!). Since our April trip had to be cancelled, and DH and I have both been lucky enough to stay employed but extremely stressed out thereby, I'm trying to convince him to splurge whenever we do reschedule and book a Deluxe resort. I do think spending $600+ a night is insane (even though we could technically afford it but it seems like SO MUCH MONEY) but then again I feel like I've lost my mind so who cares anymore?

So, feel free to weigh in on what you think is the hands-down-best Deluxe (I'm not going to get crazy and book Club Level or a Villa, but Theme Park View is an option) and its can't-miss features. It'll just be DH and I, we don't have kids and are aggressive with our park plans so we can cover a lot in a day and still have time for pool/drinks to relax. The only time I've ever stayed in a Deluxe was like 1999 when I was a teenager and my parents got a sick deal at the Poly courtesy of a family CM (don't remember a thing about that stay), otherwise it's been CBR and All-Stars (or, once, the Howard Johnson in Kissimmee.)

Let's dream some dreams! :tink:
I would go Deluxe but either get a deal from Disney or rent points. We have saved a lot of money renting points for Deluxe.

My feelings are that if you want an extra-special trip and you have the funding to do so, then you don't have to justify the cost of the room no matter how high it is. No matter what you pay that you think is crazy high, trust me, someone out there is paying more. :)

So do what works for you. The only thing I'd be sure of ahead of time is that this doesn't mean you'll be bummed out with anything less than deluxe accommodations for future trips. If you can be happy at a moderate again next time, then go ahead and try a new resort this time. I personally love EPCOT and the theming at BW, YC, & BC, but I know many people adore the MK resorts instead. :) Have a wonderful trip no matter what you decide!

I would go Deluxe but either get a deal from Disney or rent points. We have saved a lot of money renting points for Deluxe.

There’s a lot of horror stories on the boards right now about point rentals due to the virus closures. Some of the brokers may not even be in business after this. Renting points is not the move right now imo.

There’s a lot of horror stories on the boards right now about point rentals due to the virus closures. Some of the brokers may not even be in business after this. Renting points is not the move right now imo.

What about going through someone directly, like someone on this board?

I don’t follow the DVC chatter too closely but from what I understand it is going to be very difficult to find availability. It sounds like a supply/demand issue, with too many members scrambling to use points before they expire. Looks like a big mess.

I'm a DVC member and I wouldn't do it. It's just too big of a mess right now and just too big of a risk. Maybe in a year or two, but even then you just have to be aware that renting a DVC is not like booking a room. If you rent, you might be out your full deposit or whatever you paid up front if you don't go for any reason.

Exciting update: Managed to convince DH to book a week stay at Yacht Club in September. It took many, many hours before I got him to cave and it hurt a little to see the price tag but he just asked what would make me happy and went with my decision (because he's the best :love:). Despite all of the current uncertainty around park visits I'm so excited! It'll be my first time staying at a Deluxe (minus that weirdly unmemorable stay at Poly as a preteen) and I feel like I have so much to look forward to - we even planned a rest day so we can enjoy the pool, the property, and take a stroll over to the Boardwalk. Thank you all for your input and encouragement! Wish me luck that my trip holds now :clown:

Have fun! I know you will. One thing I didn't see in anyone's post is the reason (however crazy it may be) for my picks in accommodations. On any vacation.

The balcony.

I like to start my day with a cup of tea and end my day with a glass of wine on my balcony.

Have fun! I know you will. One thing I didn't see in anyone's post is the reason (however crazy it may be) for my picks in accommodations. On any vacation.

The balcony.

I like to start my day with a cup of tea and end my day with a glass of wine on my balcony.

I'm really hoping I can get a full size balcony for the stay I booked yesterday at Beach Club

No pain in asking.
👍

I have my request in at the BWV for out September trip...hopefully.

Last edited:
No pain in asking.
👍

Ya I plan on calling back sometime and adding it to my request, when I booked the room the CM asked if there was any sort of occasion, I mentioned it was for my birthday. Hopefully she put a note in there mentioning that, and maybe that'll help granting the request lol

Ya I plan on calling back sometime and adding it to my request, when I booked the room the CM asked if there was any sort of occasion, I mentioned it was for my birthday. Hopefully she put a note in there mentioning that, and maybe that'll help granting the request lol

Get the pin when you check in!!

why would anyone pay for a room instead of renting points for a DVC? I will stay at Poly eventually, but use points, and it is WAY cheaper than 600+ a night.

Is it really $600+ a night just for the room? or does that include your dining or ticket cost too as in the whole vacation package deal? Back when we paid cash for deluxe rooms I'd sometimes get them for about $240-250 a night, granted that was prior to 2012. I have to say I do really enjoy deluxe compared to the value resorts. Moderates are also good, some are quite nice. If you want to splurge then Deluxe is the way to go. As previous posters mentioned, renting DVC points is an option for saving money on deluxe room costs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter