Going During Covid?? What made you decide?

superdiz

Unofficial Disney Foodie - MOO
Hi all,

I cannot make up my mind on going in June. We have GF booked and I'm vaccinated (HC worker), but my husband and kids won't be. Everyone who has been says it's amazing, and several of our friends have gone. Not one has come back with Covid. With my luck though, it will be us. :(

What made you decide to just go for it? Was it as terrifying to fly as I have in my head? I really want to go but I would never forgive myself if anyone got sick. Freaking Covid :(

If the risk of COVID makes you or your family very anxious, you probably should not go. We went in early Nov and are going back end of April. My parents are retired nurses, years of experience and non-alarmist. We knew the CDC would recommend masks weeks before they actually came out and did it. We are very much in favor of mask mandates, social distancing, and not taking unnecessary risks like eating indoors at restaurants when COVID numbers are high. That said, I live in a state that took a long time to actually mandate masks and even then, I didn't feel very comfortable at the local grocery store because so many people were wearing the masks wrong or not at all.

I felt SO SAFE at Disney in November - it was a surreal experience to know the pandemic was still a threat, but to not feel any anxiety because everyone around us was wearing masks and staying distant. I felt safer at Disney than at any public, indoor space in my home town. Walking around, you will come closer than 6 feet to other people. The only time this bothered me was shopping at the Emporium at park close time. Walking outdoors I'm unconcerned about passing close by others because everyone is masked and you are in the open air.

I was worried about airports and the flight, but that actually went surprisingly well in Nov. I am not expecting as high mask compliance at airports and on the flight in April :-\ I am hoping by then we will have at least the first vaccine shot and we will definitely use filters in our cloth masks (it is similar to double masking without so much bulk). These reasonable precautions bring the risk to an acceptable level for us. But it is different for everyone. You have to decide for yourselves what risk level is acceptable for you.

The low crowds. Totally worth it. There's also a large lack of kids because no one is going to be forcing a 2 year old to wear a mask. Saying "2 and up" means "no young children allowed."

I decided to go for basically the same reasons. People I know have gone and enjoyed themselves and didn’t catch COVID. I’m a teacher and wear my mask all day everyday in the class with my students so it’s not a bother for me. Hubby does tech work for offices and country clubs so he used to the masks too. It’s also an anniversary trip for my husband and I. Last year we celebrated 10 years but then lockdown happened so we decided to go this year in March and fully enjoy ourselves. We’re also going without our kids 😂 yay us!

If the risk of COVID makes you or your family very anxious, you probably should not go. We went in early Nov and are going back end of April. My parents are retired nurses, years of experience and non-alarmist. We knew the CDC would recommend masks weeks before they actually came out and did it. We are very much in favor of mask mandates, social distancing, and not taking unnecessary risks like eating indoors at restaurants when COVID numbers are high. That said, I live in a state that took a long time to actually mandate masks and even then, I didn't feel very comfortable at the local grocery store because so many people were wearing the masks wrong or not at all.

I felt SO SAFE at Disney in November - it was a surreal experience to know the pandemic was still a threat, but to not feel any anxiety because everyone around us was wearing masks and staying distant. I felt safer at Disney than at any public, indoor space in my home town. Walking around, you will come closer than 6 feet to other people. The only time this bothered me was shopping at the Emporium at park close time. Walking outdoors I'm unconcerned about passing close by others because everyone is masked and you are in the open air.

I was worried about airports and the flight, but that actually went surprisingly well in Nov. I am not expecting as high mask compliance at airports and on the flight in April :-\ I am hoping by then we will have at least the first vaccine shot and we will definitely use filters in our cloth masks (it is similar to double masking without so much bulk). These reasonable precautions bring the risk to an acceptable level for us. But it is different for everyone. You have to decide for yourselves what risk level is acceptable for you.

Gosh that’s just it. Having been deployed to work the Covid unit as a nurse, the past year has been nothing short of horrifying so because I know what I have seen and treated, I’m now way more cautious. Being a nurse in this situation has not helped me decide to be more carefree and go. It really is a bummer because I want to talk myself into it but I can’t. Was hoping the positives I see here will help me at least not worry as much.

Gosh that’s just it. Having been deployed to work the Covid unit as a nurse, the past year has been nothing short of horrifying so because I know what I have seen and treated, I’m now way more cautious. Being a nurse in this situation has not helped me decide to be more carefree and go. It really is a bummer because I want to talk myself into it but I can’t. Was hoping the positives I see here will help me at least not worry as much.

I think the answer to this depends a lot on how you are living now. Are your kids back in school? Does your husband go to work outside of the house? If the answer to these are yes, then Disney will not be much different. Most of it is outside and for the most part people do a good job wearing a mask. That being said, we went in November and we just returned and the difference in attitudes is night and day. In November everyone was vary attune to social distancing and wore the masks religiously. Two weeks ago, social distancing was much more lax. Sure there are markers for lines and some people follow them, but some people don’t. Honestly, this isn’t much different than the grocery stores around my house so it’s not a huge surprise. But people are also much more lackadaisical about masks now. I saw TONS of kids without masks, eating in line etc (which is technically not allowed). Some adults were also breaking the rules as well. I’m not super alarmist, so someone more than 6 feet away from me without a mask isn’t going to make me upset, but it is what it is. In November I saw one person our entire trip remove their mask at an inappropriate time. Attitudes have just changed.

Also, crowds are not low anymore. The current capacity limit at full capacity feels like a regular to slightly busy park day. Social distancing in queues has pushed people out into the walkways which make walkways crowded. In November our trip was great and crowds felt low. Two weeks ago was insane. I was shocked how many people were in the parks and they were all from other states.

All that being said, June could look wildly different than now. Cases are already plummeting and more and more people are getting vaccinated. It will likely be a while before kids get the vaccine, but a lot of adults could be vaccinated by then and that is great news. Personally, I would hold on to your reservations until closer to your dates and reevaluate.

In general, though, if you are still very strictly quarantining then Disney isn’t the place to be. If you have ventured back out, but are still concerned about safe ways to do it then Disney is doable. For the most part you can control exactly how much you are comfortable doing and if you are uncomfortable, it’s easy to find an uncrowded corner to take a break!

We went twice in 2020. Once in September, and once in October. The deciding factor was the low number of cases and percent positive in Fl during both of those times. We have not considered going back since. We also took extra precautions during air travel (N95), and hotel room. (wipes, extra cleaning). My husband was vaccinated in mid December, however I am not. I think we will return when I am fully vaccinated, hopefully in the next month or 2..using likely many of the same precautions as we did in the fall. I think if you have to force yourself to feel carefree, maybe its not the best time to go...?

I love bringing my kids to Disney but I won’t miss the 2 and under years. Nor would I miss hearing someone else’s 2 and under trip 😂🤣✌🏻
I have a 2 year old and I’m just not about to go through all of that 😂 it’s a big enough headache to take them to the store. Plus a 2 year old won’t remember Disney like that. My kids can wait until they’re older.

I have a 2 year old and I’m just not about to go through all of that 😂 it’s a big enough headache to take them to the store. Plus a 2 year old won’t remember Disney like that. My kids can wait until they’re older.
Truthfully, though there were tantrums and a miscellaneous binky unceremoniously tossed to the Dumbo Gods when said 2 year old realized we could not, in fact, keep riding as many times as we wanted 😂🤣 the trips with our littles at that age were still awesome. Seeing their faces when everything is real and larger than life was great. Chasing them in crowds when they’d had enough stroller was not great!!

I think the answer to this depends a lot on how you are living now. Are your kids back in school? Does your husband go to work outside of the house? If the answer to these are yes, then Disney will not be much different. Most of it is outside and for the most part people do a good job wearing a mask. That being said, we went in November and we just returned and the difference in attitudes is night and day. In November everyone was vary attune to social distancing and wore the masks religiously. Two weeks ago, social distancing was much more lax. Sure there are markers for lines and some people follow them, but some people don’t. Honestly, this isn’t much different than the grocery stores around my house so it’s not a huge surprise. But people are also much more lackadaisical about masks now. I saw TONS of kids without masks, eating in line etc (which is technically not allowed). Some adults were also breaking the rules as well. I’m not super alarmist, so someone more than 6 feet away from me without a mask isn’t going to make me upset, but it is what it is. In November I saw one person our entire trip remove their mask at an inappropriate time. Attitudes have just changed.

Also, crowds are not low anymore. The current capacity limit at full capacity feels like a regular to slightly busy park day. Social distancing in queues has pushed people out into the walkways which make walkways crowded. In November our trip was great and crowds felt low. Two weeks ago was insane. I was shocked how many people were in the parks and they were all from other states.

All that being said, June could look wildly different than now. Cases are already plummeting and more and more people are getting vaccinated. It will likely be a while before kids get the vaccine, but a lot of adults could be vaccinated by then and that is great news. Personally, I would hold on to your reservations until closer to your dates and reevaluate.

In general, though, if you are still very strictly quarantining then Disney isn’t the place to be. If you have ventured back out, but are still concerned about safe ways to do it then Disney is doable. For the most part you can control exactly how much you are comfortable doing and if you are uncomfortable, it’s easy to find an uncrowded corner to take a break!

This makes sense. Honestly it’s the flight. I trust Disney. I don’t trust that some mo isn’t going to jump on a flight feeling less than stellar because they don’t want to disappoint their kid. 🤔

This makes sense. Honestly it’s the flight. I trust Disney. I don’t trust that some mo isn’t going to jump on a flight feeling less than stellar because they don’t want to disappoint their kid. 🤔
Yeah. Flying still makes me nervous just because you are so close to other people. It grossed me out pre-pandemic as well. I’m a germaphobe! Could you drive? We’re from FL so I loved having a car and this also allowed us to drive to the parks which meant we could avoid the buses etc.

Yeah. Flying still makes me nervous just because you are so close to other people. It grossed me out pre-pandemic as well. I’m a germaphobe! Could you drive? We’re from FL so I loved having a car and this also allowed us to drive to the parks which meant we could avoid the buses etc.

My husband won’t. It’s 24 hours and he insists staying a night in a motel is riskier than a 2 hour flight. The kids also get carsick on long rides now that we haven’t gone anywhere in so long! But I feel like we could just start small and work it out.

We are a no. We don’t want to be the ones who break all the odds and are young with horrible covid for a vacation. We are waiting until vaccines are available for all. Now if we remain in this state for years of course we will rethink, but nope not at this time. You have to do what is best for your family.

I love bringing my kids to Disney but I won’t miss the 2 and under years. Nor would I miss hearing someone else’s 2 and under trip 😂🤣✌🏻

We generally won't take our kids until they hit at least 36 inches. These days, I'd say 40 inches is better. Taking a child who can't ride Slinky Dog, Smuggler's Run, Star Tours, DINOSAUR, Soarin, Mine Train, or Splash Mountain sucks. Especially if that child has older siblings and can understand they're being left out. Awful experience. Would not recommend.

This year we're going to a wedding near Orlando in March so our not-yet-2-year old will be going to Disney with us that week. If she was over 2, we wouldn't be taking her because I'm not going to participate in the completely unscientific child abuse of making a 2 year old wear a mask.

Last edited:
We generally won't take our kids until they hit at least 36 inches. These days, I'd say 40 inches is better. Taking a child who can't ride Slinky Dog, Smuggler's Run, Star Tours, DINOSAUR, Soarin, Mine Train, or Splash Mountain sucks. Especially if that child has older siblings and can understand they're being left out. Awful experience. Would not recommend.

This year we're going to a wedding near Orlando in March so our not-yet-2-year old will be going to Disney with us that week. If she was over 2, we wouldn't be taking her because I'm not going to participate in the completely unscientific child abuse of making a 2 year old wear a mask.
I wouldn’t say it’s not scientific nor would I call a mask child abuse. While lower in numbers, children have died. Scientific studies are also showing that kids can be carriers.

I agree, if your child wouldn’t wear one, best to keep them and everyone else safe and not go. I wouldn’t have tried with my kids at 2 because I know they couldn’t do it.

This is the sanest reasoning I have seen about deciding to go or not! If you are still carefully practicing every precaution at home and not going out as we aren't yet then Disney isn't for us. And we get our second vaccine shots tomorrow and we still won't go out to grocery shop etc. until at least a month from now. It's made a little bit harder by the fact that we wanted to celebrate our 50th anniversary at WDW this year but it can wait. People not distancing would really bother me so maybe a fall 2021 trip for me (solo) or both of us in 2022.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter