Going to Disney World with flat feet-- suggestions?

<snip> my husband has flat feet and really suffers after all of the walking. After 2-3 days his feet develop horrible blisters, even when using moleskin daily. By day 4-5 he is sadly limping behind while the rest of us comfortably walk. We really don't want his flat feet/blisters to keep us from being able to vacation at Disney parks, but we aren't sure what to do.

Would this condition warrant a wheelchair or scooter rental, do you think? I am very tempted to do that, but he doesn't love the idea. He wouldn't need it constantly, but for long walks across the park or from our hotel to the park, it would make a huge difference. Is there a way to park a wheelchair like in the stroller area when not needed, but then retrieve it when moving on from that area of the park? He would definitely not need it in lines.

Any other suggestions for this issue would be so appreciated as well. Thank you!
I think a scooter could be very helpful. A wheelchair would, too… but in a wheelchair someone would need to push him, which if he’s already feeling skeptical would likely make him feel like he’s a burden, and he’d probably choose to suffer instead. A scooter lets him keep up without anyone having to push. And it lets him feel like he’s in control of his mobility (because he is…)

My DH has extremely high arches, and that causes his shoes to rub, especially across the top of his mid-foot. So it’s not just a flat foot problem.

As far as the blisters forming in the first place… have you ever tried a product called Foot Glide? It’s the same thing as Body Glide, but in a smaller applicator to apply in between toes, etc. Our family prefers the Stick form of both. It also comes as a cream, like a lotion… but we haven’t has as good of luck with that. I think it’s harder to decide the right amount to apply with the cream, but the stick goes on like deodorant so it’s pretty straightforward how to apply it properly.

Since we began using it, no more blisters, and no chafed thighs or other regions!

Properly fitted shoes are absolutely a must. And the place to go is somewhere that is experienced at fitting running shoes or hiking boots… REI is decent, or if you have one near you, Fleet Feet is especially good. But any running shoe store would be a good place o start. Believe it or not, most of us wear shoes that are too small, anywhere from 1/2 to 2 sizes too small, depending on the activity. And that can contribute to the blister formation.

with an ECV be sure to take it easy on the husband so you do not tire him out too much
Sounds funny… but it really is true.
I have to be careful not to run dh into the ground. I have so much more energy because I’m not in pain, that I have to remember to let him keep up with me. Once, I joked around and started driving in circles around him and quipped, “look at me “running” circles around you now!” To which he took off running, and we made a game of it.

My DH at first thought it was an overreaction for me to use my powerchair in the parks. At the time, I hadn’t had a flare in a long time, and I was coping okay in my daily life. But I wanted to have enough energy to have fun at DLand, not just barely make it thru a day, and feel like I wanted to die the next morning. Because if I overdo, I will feel it right away but waking up the next day will make me wish for a bus to run me over (because that would be an improvement, pain-wise). And most of the time, letting myself get to that point will just about guarantee I will end up in a relapse/flare sooner than later.

Anyway, after he saw how much less stressed I was, and how I wasn’t in pain at the end of the day, and was just happier and having a better time all around… he realized that my happy place hadn’t been as happy in several years. After that though, we decided that renting at the park & (later) from an outside vendor was preferable to transporting my powerchair— which he was right… it was a pain.

Now, we go hand in hand thru the parks. Me on my scooter, and he walking next to me. And we have a lovely time. I’m not ever grumpy & irritated and he’s not frustrated when it seems like I’m changing my mind constantly about what we should do next (because I’m continually trying to adapt to my pain or energy levels). We just go and do what we want, knowing we can both make it thru the day and still be excited for the next day.

I hope your hubby can begin to see that instead of the scooter being a symbol of being handicapped or elderly or :scared: lazy— the scooter is actually a symbol of freedom and independence and relief. It is literally your chariot to happiness.

I would hope that like most husbands, he would tell you that there’s nothing he wouldn’t do to make your life better… that he’d move heaven & earth to show his love for you. Well, then he should want you to feel happiness & joy, not pain & sadness. If the scooter represents joy & walking represents pain… it would seem the choice is clear.

It’s possible he’s never considered that something like a wheelchair or scooter could mean freedom— you’ve heard the phrase “confined to a wheelchair”, right? It’s up to you to help him understand that a mobility device is liberating, not confining.

Show him your fun side while you are scootering around. Help him see how it’s actually making you feel younger, and how you are better for using it, not worse. Freedom from pain means you two can enjoy each other’s company— which is something that tends to get lost in the shuffle when disability rears it’s ugly head. :hug::love2: Try acting like newlyweds again— it’s fun! :banana: Hold hands.:love: Sneak a kiss.💋 Goose a behind:rolleyes1. Beckon him close, and whisper something a little naughty 😈.

Have an awesome day at AK!

I have a flat foot and used to get terrible, painful, blisters that would bleed after a day in the parks. I have found the following to be helpful"
>>I spray my feet with antiperspirant in the morning. Let it dry before putting on footwear. Dry feet are less likely to blister.
>>Crocs with socks! My flat foot needs the cushy sole of Crocs, so I don't feel the "hardness" of the ground. Also, the arch hits my foot in the right place. In most shoes, the arch support isn't where my flat foot needs it to be, but this isn't an issue with Crocs. Wear the socks; if your feet get sweaty, the socks will help keep them from rubbing against the shoe material and blistering.
>>Moleskin. Dr. Scholl's really does work best, better than any of the store brands I've tried. Put it on when you feel a hot spot. If the blister has already formed, put a thin piece of tissue over the blister, just big enough to cover it, then put on the moleskin. The tissue protects the blister from being torn open when you remove the moleskin.
>>Ibuprofen will reduce inflammation and pain (but it's not gonna make blistered feet feel better... sorry).
>>Freeze water bottles and roll them under your feet at night. It really does help.

I have feet which are prone to flatness (fallen arches) as well as developing plantar fasciitis. Even if it doesn't bother him in his day-to-day, I strongly suggest that he go to a running store and have them help him select appropriate shoes. And by running store, I don't mean a generic sports store, but a store dedicated to running. I have been doing this since 2015 and my feet have never felt better. I am on my feet all day and I no longer have trouble with my arches falling, and my flare ups of plantar fasciitis are very infrequent. The important thing will be that he will need to wear the shoes for a bit before going to WDW, because they will feel very different and take some time getting used to. It may feel weird to go to a running store if you're not a runner, but I have been to several ones and the people there are always super helpful to help me find good shoes. They will ask about how you will use them, and often video you walking to analyze your gait and recommend several shoes to try out.

The shoes are often kind of pricey, but it is worth it to not be in pain. Now that I know what shoes work for me and what size to get, I keep an eye out for sales and deals on the internet.

You can also go to a podiatrist, but my wife's podiatrist sent her to the running store anyway. Orthodics are not always the best choice :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter