Going to Disney World with flat feet-- suggestions?

I wish my husband felt that way. He says he doesn’t want to be seen with me if I rent one again. So I’m taking my cane and only going to parks one day because I can’t handle it. I’m in pain now with hip bursitis and icing and prescription strength Motrin are not helping anymore. I’m really hoping it’s better after swimming. We leave tomorrow but are not going to MK until Tues. I have not been in years and I really want to go.

What is his worry about being "seen with you" if you rent an ECV? I would think he'd be more concerned about your well-being than any perceived strange looks from others because you're using an ECV. IMO he needs to get over his selfishness and read the post by @mamabunny to gain some understanding.

So, I know that there are a lot of people who have different reasons why they are worried, or unhappy that a member of their family needs to use a personal mobility device at Disney World.

My FIL was a prime example of this: he was afraid for my MIL to use a wheelchair or scooter because he (incorrectly) believed that she would "never get up and walk again" afterward. He thought it was the beginning of the end of her mobility, and that from then on she would never want to walk independently again.

And he was also worried about our group being "a problem" because of the scooter. He didn't want us to have to (potentially) split up across 2 buses, or for the scooter to get stuck in a queue, or that somehow, someone would be offended by the sight of my MIL with her fluffy white hair and tweety-bird glasses on a rental scooter.

He said that it marked them as "old" and they most certainly were not, thank you very much. "Old is as old does!"

He thought that it would prevent them from seeing all of the attractions, or being able to ride certain rides. Even though he had zero interest in riding Pirates, he wanted the option, I guess?

He believed that there were whole sections of the Parks that they were not allowed to take the scooter into. (He was confusing Disney World with Silver Dollar City, which does have some paths marked as not safe for wheelchairs and scooters, and has an alternate route for those paths)

He was also afraid that she would run over someone or would wreck the scooter. I have to give him that point; she was NOT a good automobile driver; I have never seen an entire family refuse to ride with their mother before, or since. Neurodivergence can affect people of all ages, and she did not have the focus to be able to use a scooter in a crowded theme park.

In other words, he was scared about her driving. But he found all of these other reasons (plus a few more) why she shouldn't use a scooter.

Sometimes, when we are scared about something, it's because we don't understand what is going to happen, or why. Maybe it's because we don't understand how much the very thing we are most scared of is needed. And sometimes we are just scared at the thought of something new.

It's OK to be scared. What's *not* OK is to not communicate.

Our friend @snowwite has some options. Which one is the right one for their situation is known only to them.

Some of the options I can think of (please see footnote below!)...

➡️ Start by asking the hubby exactly what it is that bothers him about the scooter. *Not* "what bothers you about me using a scooter", but just "what is it about the scooter that you don't like?" Remove the personal element from the conversation.​

➡️ Talk about tools. Remind him that we all use tools in our lives, everyday - and a mobility device is just another tool. That scooter - or ECV, or mobility device, or whatever you want to call it - is nothing more than a *tool* you are using to get a job done. The job is to get you from point A to point B while minimizing/eliminating any further damage to you. That's it. That's all.​

If you have ever used, or known someone who uses eyeglasses... that's a tool, to see better.​

If you have ever used, or known someone who uses hearing aids... that's a tool to hear better.​

Just like a hammer is a tool used with a nail, an ECV is a tool used by a human who has a physical need.​

Your goal for this trip is to arrive home in at least the same - if not better - condition than when you left. The ECV is a tool to help you accomplish that task.​

➡️ Explain to him that for you, vacation is about fun, not adding (more) pain.​

➡️ Put your foot down, and refuse to go unless and until he agrees to a trial of the scooter. Explain that you don't want to cause yourself any more harm, and that the scooter is in service of that. (SEE THE FOOTNOTE BELOW, READ IT AND UNDERSTAND IT PRIOR TO USING THIS OPTION.)​

➡️ Rent the scooter anyway. Show him how much better you feel at the end of the day. Show him that instead of hurting, and being able to do less in the parks, now you can stay longer and do more in the parks. Show him, don't tell him. (SEE THE FOOTNOTE BELOW, READ IT AND UNDERSTAND IT PRIOR TO USING THIS OPTION.)​

Now what a person like @snowwite decides to do is entirely up to them. We don't know their husband, or even a fraction of their situation. So, I'm not going to say any more, other than this: We need to remember as a community that often our loved ones are as scared, and mad, and sad about our disability(s) as we are. Sometimes they have not been able to express that to anyone. Sometimes, they are afraid to discuss it with us.

And sometimes, they just need to know what *we* need to be successful.

Good luck, @snowwite

NOTE: Mamabunny is NOT responsible for the action(s), inaction(s), trauma, drama, divorce or any cancellation(s) that may or may not occur as a result of the advice given above. In other words, you are a grownup adult human, and you are responsible for yourself, and what happens if you elect to follow any and/all of previously referenced advice. Use your best judgement. Mamabunny is not a doctor, lawyer, butcher, baker or candlestick maker, and accepts no responsibility for the outcome of your life.

And seriously, be safe above all else.

Last edited:
So, I know that there are a lot of people who have different reasons why they are worried, or unhappy that a member of their family needs to use a personal mobility device at Disney World.

My FIL was a prime example of this: he was afraid for my MIL to use a wheelchair or scooter because he (incorrectly) believed that she would "never get up and walk again" afterward. He thought it was the beginning of the end of her mobility, and that from then on she would never want to walk independently again.

And he was also worried about our group being "a problem" because of the scooter. He didn't want us to have to (potentially) split up across 2 buses, or for the scooter to get stuck in a queue, or that somehow, someone would be offended by the sight of my MIL with her fluffy white hair and tweety-bird glasses on a rental scooter.

He said that it marked them as "old" and they most certainly were not, thank you very much. "Old is as old does!"

He thought that it would prevent them from seeing all of the attractions, or being able to ride certain rides. Even though he had zero interest in riding Pirates, he wanted the option, I guess?

He believed that there were whole sections of the Parks that they were not allowed to take the scooter into. (He was confusing Disney World with Silver Dollar City, which does have some paths marked as not safe for wheelchairs and scooters, and has an alternate route for those paths)

He was also afraid that she would run over someone or would wreck the scooter. I have to give him that point; she was NOT a good automobile driver; I have never seen an entire family refuse to ride with their mother before, or since. Neurodivergence can affect people of all ages, and she did not have the focus to be able to use a scooter in a crowded theme park.

In other words, he was scared about her driving. But he found all of these other reasons (plus a few more) why she shouldn't use a scooter.

Sometimes, when we are scared about something, it's because we don't understand what is going to happen, or why. Maybe it's because we don't understand how much the very thing we are most scared of is needed. And sometimes we are just scared at the thought of something new.

Our friend @snowwite has some options. Which one is the right one for their situation is known only to them.

➡️ Start by asking the hubby exactly what it is that bothers him about the scooter. *Not* "what bothers you about me using a scooter", but just "what is it about the scooter that you don't like?" Remove the personal element from the conversation.​

➡️ Talk about tools. Remind him that we all use tools in our lives, everyday - and a mobility device is just another tool. That scooter - or ECV, or mobility device, or whatever you want to call it - is nothing more than a *tool* you are using to get a job done. The job is to get you from point A to point B while minimizing/eliminating any further damage to you. That's it. That's all.​

If you have ever used, or known someone who uses eyeglasses... that's a tool, to see better.​

If you have ever used, or known someone who uses hearing aids... that's a tool to hear better.​

Just like a hammer is a tool used with a nail, an ECV is a tool used by a human who has a physical need.​

Your goal for this trip is to arrive home in at least the same - if not better - condition than when you left. The ECV is a tool to help you accomplish that task.​

➡️ Put your foot down, and refuse to go unless and until he agrees to a trial of the scooter. Explain that you don't want to cause yourself any more harm, and that the scooter is in service of that. (SEE THE FOOTNOTE BELOW, READ IT AND UNDERSTAND IT PRIOR TO USING THIS OPTION.)​

➡️ Rent the scooter anyway. Show him how much better you feel at the end of the day. Show him that instead of hurting, and being able to do less in the parks, now you can stay longer and do more in the parks. Show him, don't tell him. (SEE THE FOOTNOTE BELOW, READ IT AND UNDERSTAND IT PRIOR TO USING THIS OPTION.)​

Now what a person like @snowwite decides to do is entirely up to them. We don't know their husband, or even a fraction of their situation. So, I'm not going to say any more, other than this: We need to remember as a community that often our loved ones are as scared, and mad, and sad about our disability(s) as we are. Sometimes they have not been able to express that to anyone. Sometimes, they are afraid to discuss it with us.

Good luck, @snowwite

NOTE: Mamabunny is NOT responsible for the action(s), inaction(s), trauma, drama, divorce or any cancellation(s) that may or may not occur as a result of the advice given above. In other words, you are a grownup adult human, and you are responsible for yourself, and what happens if you elect to follow any and/all of previously referenced advice. Use your best judgement. Mamabunny is not a doctor, lawyer, butch, baker or candlestick maker, and accepts no responsibility for the outcome of your life.

Thank you xx

Good luck, @snowwite

NOTE: Mamabunny is NOT responsible for the action(s), inaction(s), trauma, drama, divorce or any cancellation(s) that may or may not occur as a result of the advice given above. In other words, you are a grownup adult human, and you are responsible for yourself, and what happens if you elect to follow any and/all of previously referenced advice. Use your best judgement. Mamabunny is not a doctor, lawyer, butch, baker or candlestick maker, and accepts no responsibility for the outcome of your life.

We talked about it. He’s worried that I’ going to get lazy. He said people will not know I have neuropathy in my feet or bursitis in my hip and will just see him with an old lady in a wheelchair. I stopped coloring my hair during the pandemic and that’s a whole other can of worms. He hates it but it was bur my scalp and my rheumatologist said it could be part of what was causing my flare ups. So I stopped and I still wear it long but it’s silver and dark gray now. His is too btw but men look distinguished not like old hags. 🙄.

We talked about it. He’s worried that I’ going to get lazy. He said people will not know I have neuropathy in my feet or bursitis in my hip and will just see him with an old lady in a wheelchair. I stopped coloring my hair during the pandemic and that’s a whole other can of worms. He hates it but it was bur my scalp and my rheumatologist said it could be part of what was causing my flare ups. So I stopped and I still wear it long but it’s silver and dark gray now. His is too btw but men look distinguished not like old hags. 🙄.
Ask him if you look less like an “old lady” when you are hobbling around with your cane knowing that every step causes you more & more pain.

I can assure you (& him) that absolutely no one in the parks is looking at the two of you and thinking, “poor guy… he’s stuck here at Disney with that lazy “old lady” using that scooter…” As a matter of fact, very few people are going to notice *you* at all! They are all to busy worrying about their own experiences in the parks to even notice.

My husband is happy to walk beside me holding my hand, knowing that I am not pushing myself to exhaustion, pain, and illness just to (barely) keep up with him. He doesn’t “like” that I now need a scooter— but he *does like* that I’m not grumpy, hurting and too tired to enjoy our time together as a couple :love2:once we get back to our room each night. (If you get my drift :teeth: :rolleyes1)

Could that maybe be a selling point in your favor? “You know honey, if I’m not in too much pain to see straight, I bet we’ll have more “quality time” is together once we’re alone— wink wink 😈

As a side note: there are new enzyme-based hair dyes that are all natural. They don’t use the ammonia and other harsh chemicals of traditional hair dyes. They are more expensive and I don’t think they are available for home use… but if it helps you to feel better about yourself and improves your relationship with dh… it’s probably worth it to splurge for a salon treatment.

Alternatively, you might look into the colored conditioners on the market. They deposit color, but do not use chemicals like peroxide or ammonia. The downside is that they are temporary (except for blue — which will stay until it grows out, pretty much… don’t use blue or teal, unless you know you’ll like it. :sad2: ) so you have to use them every shampoo or at least a couple times a week. And they don’t burn, because it’s just color in a conditioner base. Leaves your hair nice & soft too. (If you have long hair, you may find you have to use quite a lot the first time at least.)

My DH is partial to the pink…don’t ask me why— it’s a mystery. But I like it too so whoo-hoo! I’m the pink-haired gal dragging DH around Disney.

He needs to get over himself tbh. His vanity is not a good reason for you to be in pain

Also, I honestly love watching older couples at Disney. It always makes me think: "that's gonna be me and my future husband" 80 years old holding hands at Disney? Now that is a happy ending. So Yes pls!

He needs to get over himself tbh. His vanity is not a good reason for you to be in pain

Also, I honestly love watching older couples at Disney. It always makes me think: "that's gonna be me and my future husband" 80 years old holding hands at Disney? Now that is a happy ending. So Yes pls!
I canceled the park reservations. we went to DS. Lime garage wa full and everything we planned was on that side. Parked in Orange but by the time we made it through security and down the escalator I was in agony. We ended up eating at Wolfgang puck because there is no line. I wanted to see the trees so we started to walk after lunch and didn’t get very far and there was not a bench in site. Found a wall and sat there a bit and decided to give up. We had a big fight last night because he wanted me to still go to grocery shop. I ignored him and got into the pool which was blessed relief. I’m coming down in March but will have to see if I get a first floor at OKW before I rent anything. We are going to see my daughter today So that will cheer me up. I love my husband but sometimes he acts like a turd.

Ask him if you look less like an “old lady” when you are hobbling around with your cane knowing that every step causes you more & more pain.

I can assure you (& him) that absolutely no one in the parks is looking at the two of you and thinking, “poor guy… he’s stuck here at Disney with that lazy “old lady” using that scooter…” As a matter of fact, very few people are going to notice *you* at all! They are all to busy worrying about their own experiences in the parks to even notice.

My husband is happy to walk beside me holding my hand, knowing that I am not pushing myself to exhaustion, pain, and illness just to (barely) keep up with him. He doesn’t “like” that I now need a scooter— but he *does like* that I’m not grumpy, hurting and too tired to enjoy our time together as a couple :love2:once we get back to our room each night. (If you get my drift :teeth: :rolleyes1)

Could that maybe be a selling point in your favor? “You know honey, if I’m not in too much pain to see straight, I bet we’ll have more “quality time” is together once we’re alone— wink wink 😈

As a side note: there are new enzyme-based hair dyes that are all natural. They don’t use the ammonia and other harsh chemicals of traditional hair dyes. They are more expensive and I don’t think they are available for home use… but if it helps you to feel better about yourself and improves your relationship with dh… it’s probably worth it to splurge for a salon treatment.

Alternatively, you might look into the colored conditioners on the market. They deposit color, but do not use chemicals like peroxide or ammonia. The downside is that they are temporary (except for blue — which will stay until it grows out, pretty much… don’t use blue or teal, unless you know you’ll like it. :sad2: ) so you have to use them every shampoo or at least a couple times a week. And they don’t burn, because it’s just color in a conditioner base. Leaves your hair nice & soft too. (If you have long hair, you may find you have to use quite a lot the first time at least.)

My DH is partial to the pink…don’t ask me why— it’s a mystery. But I like it too so whoo-hoo! I’m the pink-haired gal dragging DH around Disney.
Your reply made me laugh. That’s great. I may try that!
I had purple hair before I stopped coloring it. I like the silver.

We are a Disney-loving family and have visited Disney parks 4 times in the last 11 years (3 times to WDW and 1 time to Disneyland). Every time we go we absolutely love it except for one thing.... my husband has flat feet and really suffers after all of the walking. After 2-3 days his feet develop horrible blisters, even when using moleskin daily. By day 4-5 he is sadly limping behind while the rest of us comfortably walk. We really don't want his flat feet/blisters to keep us from being able to vacation at Disney parks, but we aren't sure what to do.

Would this condition warrant a wheelchair or scooter rental, do you think? I am very tempted to do that, but he doesn't love the idea. He wouldn't need it constantly, but for long walks across the park or from our hotel to the park, it would make a huge difference. Is there a way to park a wheelchair like in the stroller area when not needed, but then retrieve it when moving on from that area of the park? He would definitely not need it in lines.

Any other suggestions for this issue would be so appreciated as well. Thank you!
Don't knock this till you try it. Wear the regular shoes but when his feet, lower legs or lower back start to hurt from walking, switch to

Crocs with Socks. (Use low cut diabetes socks for better circulation)

He will not get the blisters with these. Now keep in mind, lots of walking on a Disney vacation is not the best for crocs but when his feet begin to hurt, he should do a switcheroo and put them on. Bring a light shoe string strap bag to keep either the Crocs or the shoes in the bag.
You will notice in the park that there are quite a few college and people under 30 doing this.

Also, you can rent a wheelchair and park them where there is baby stroller parking.

Don't knock this till you try it. Wear the regular shoes but when his feet, lower legs or lower back start to hurt from walking, switch to

He will not get the blisters with these. Now keep in mind, lots of walking on a Disney vacation is not the best for crocs but when his feet begin to hurt, he should do a switcheroo and put them on. Bring a light shoe string strap bag to keep either the Crocs or the shoes in the bag.
You will notice in the park that there are quite a few college and people under 30 doing this.

Also, you can rent a wheelchair and park them where there is baby stroller parking.
I do this at home but have not tried it in public. I feel like it’s too much like socks and sandals :rotfl2:

Well, at least you know now. That looks like (a tiny bit of) progress from here, so that’s good news.

Your hubby seems to be scared about how you may want to use a mobility device beyond WDW, and what other people will think. I encourage you both to go to any of the DIsney Parks (or Disney Springs, for that matter) and just sit on a bench, (if you can find one) and watch the people go by. What you will notice is that no one is pointing at those folks who are using a mobility device. No one is shouting at them to prove they “deserve” to use it. No one is laughing at them, and no one marching before or behind them hollering about it, or anything like that. They are all just going about their business like everyone else - the only difference is they have wheels under their butt. You don’t have to prove why you can’t walk to use a mobility device - at Disney or anywhere. That’s no one’s business but your own.

In addition to the options that our friend @AprilsZoo told you about, there is a line of vegetable-based dye called “Punky Colors” that our adult daughter uses. It smells nice (she mixes in some of her conditioner when applying it, but you don’t have to) and works quite well. With most non-traditional dyes you will want to use a sulfate-free shampoo, so it doesn’t strip out the color too soon.

There is absolutely no rule that says you have to look - or feel - like an “old hag”. Take care of you, friend. You are worth the effort!

I am an old lady, and I love Crocs with socks!

Our adult daughter, who is almost 30, won’t wear Crocs any other way; she doesn’t like the way that the bumps feel on her feet without the socks.

We stopped worrying about how we look at Disney World a long time ago - it’s not a fashion show, it’s a theme park, and that’s what we dress for! 😂

I am an old lady, and I love Crocs with socks!

Our adult daughter, who is almost 30, won’t wear Crocs any other way; she doesn’t like the way that the bumps feel on her feet without the socks.

We stopped worrying about how we look at Disney World a long time ago - it’s not a fashion show, it’s a theme park, and that’s what we dress for! i

Well, at least you know now. That looks like (a tiny bit of) progress from here, so that’s good news.

Your hubby seems to be scared about how you may want to use a mobility device beyond WDW, and what other people will think. I encourage you both to go to any of the DIsney Parks (or Disney Springs, for that matter) and just sit on a bench, (if you can find one) and watch the people go by. What you will notice is that no one is pointing at those folks who are using a mobility device. No one is shouting at them to prove they “deserve” to use it. No one is laughing at them, and no one marching before or behind them hollering about it, or anything like that. They are all just going about their business like everyone else - the only difference is they have wheels under their butt. You don’t have to prove why you can’t walk to use a mobility device - at Disney or anywhere. That’s no one’s business but your own.

In addition to the options that our friend @AprilsZoo told you about, there is a line of vegetable-based dye called “Punky Colors” that our adult daughter uses. It smells nice (she mixes in some of her conditioner when applying it, but you don’t have to) and works quite well. With most non-traditional dyes you will want to use a sulfate-free shampoo, so it doesn’t strip out the color too soon.

There is absolutely no rule that says you have to look - or feel - like an “old hag”. Take care of you, friend. You are worth the effort!
Thank you so much. I’ve been looking up more of your posts and saving them because you put things in a way that makes sense.
I have been a nurse since 1983 but Ive never been very good at looking after myself !

He will not get the blisters with these.
Now keep in mind, lots of walking on a Disney vacation is not the best for crocs but when his feet begin to hurt, he should do a switcheroo and put them on. Bring a light shoe string strap bag to keep either the Crocs or the shoes in the bag.

Crocs (with or without socks) are one of the *last* things I'd be able to switch to. I have a pair of crocs that I bought because *everyone* said they're the best shoes for every ailment. That's not true for me. They are not good for anything for me. I wear them to walk down our long driveway to get the mail. And I wear them when we're dog sitting our son's dog and he needs to be taken out on a leash. That's about how long I can tolerate them -- or I should say, that's how long my feet and legs can tolerate them. They would never feel like "relief" for me. I've tried wearing them for every-day use thinking I needed to break them in, but they rub my feet in the wrong places and blisters start. I wouldn't even consider taking them to Disney, let alone wearing them in a park.
I know many people swear by them, but they do not work for everyone.

We decided to go to AK tomorrow. I am going to tell him im getting the ECV and see how it goes. I used some of your argument. I said do you want me to stop taking my insulin? What about my glasses, can I still use those ? I said see it’s no different. He said it will slow us down I said no it won’t because now I won’t be in agony looking for a bench every 20 minutes !

I have been a nurse since 1983 but Ive never been very good at looking after myself !

I bet it’s really easy for you to take wonderful care of your patients! So, promise me you will think about this for just a minute:

You know how when you fly, and they do the safety demo as the plane is moving away from the gate? There is always one really important thing that the Flight Attendant will always say:

“Put your mask on *first*, then assist others with their mask”.

It’s the same idea for you. Take care of yourself so that you can take better care of others. And that includes hair dye (if you want) or maybe finding someone who can braid, style or even cut your hair to be easy to care for and flattering!

(OK, now we have to go back to flat feet, because that’s the topic, but take good care of you *first* (and yes, that includes what you see when you look in the mirror!) so you can take good care of everyone else.)

We decided to go to AK tomorrow. I am going to tell him im getting the ECV and see how it goes. I used some of your argument. I said do you want me to stop taking my insulin? What about my glasses, can I still use those ? I said see it’s no different. He said it will slow us down I said no it won’t because now I won’t be in agony looking for a bench every 20 minutes !

I hope you all have the loveliest time! Pet the Merry Menagerie for me; I love them all so much! ❤️

I bet it’s really easy for you to take wonderful care of your patients! So, promise me you will think about this for just a minute:

You know how when you fly, and they do the safety demo as the plane is moving away from the gate? There is always one really important thing that the Flight Attendant will always say:

“Put your mask on *first*, then assist others with their mask”.

It’s the same idea for you. Take care of yourself so that you can take better care of others. And that includes hair dye (if you want) or maybe finding someone who can braid, style or even cut your hair to be easy to care for and flattering!

(OK, now we have to go back to flat feet, because that’s the topic, but take good care of you *first* (and yes, that includes what you see when you look in the mirror!) so you can take good care of everyone else.)
😍

I hope you all have the loveliest time! Pet the Merry Menagerie for me; I love them all so much! ❤️
I was going to rent one for the rest of the week but we are off site so I agreed to one day and see how it goes with a park rental. It’s a start!
I will!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter