Going to the beach in a wheelchair??

sncbird

<font color=blue>I need a Starbucks Latte!<br><fon
Hi everyone,

You guys have help make our last few trips to WDW wonderful!!! Now we're torn between going back to FL. and try going to the beach, discovery cove to swim with the dolphins, plus a day or two at MK OR go on a cruise which we would love to take the kids to the different beaches. My question is - how would we do this? :confused3 My manual wheelchair cannot go in the sand.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Christine

I've never done it but I've always thought about going to Daytona Beach. I've heard the hard packed sand there is hard enough for a wheelchair to ride over it and you can get a permit to park your car on the beach if you have a wheelchair.

Alot of places do have those large wheeled beach chairs. But to me they are not an option. If I have to rely on someone else to push the chair then I'm not going. Going to a beach would be nice but being stuck in a chair I couldn't push would far outweigh any positive beach experience for me.

Bill, I have been to Daytona Beach MANY times and I was never able to get on the beach. I was stuck before I could say boo. Sorry :(

I think even if it was hard packed sand, you still would have potential to get grains of sand in the lubrication of the tires and the brakes. That could be trouble (at least that's what we've been told).
I was wondering about renting a beach wheelchair and found this book which has information about wheelchair accessible beaches that have beach wheelchairs!
Sound like it might be just the sort of thing you are looking for.
We have not been on a cruise, but from everything I have read, most of the shore excursions are not wheelchair accessible.

Oh well...scratch that one off of my list to do someday. Luckily I've still got plenty of trips I want to do. :)

We went to Daytona and had a wonderful time. First if you have a handicap pass you don't need to pay to get on the beach. Next drive down the beach to the lifeguard shack where they have beach wheelchairs for you to sign out for free. I would get there early if you are going during a peak time so I was sure to get one.

Don't plan on keeping your dignity if you want to use a beach wheelchair though.

Yea Lindsay a beach wheelchair isn't an option for me till they make one that is self propelled or preferably that I can push myself.

I still go to the beach but I'll watch the ocean from the boardwalk. I go down to Ocean City MD yearly and I love the boardwalk there. It's 2 1/2 miles long and each trip I walk from one end of the boardwalk to the other and back. It's a great walk. You get to see the ocean. Enjoy the breeze. Get some exercise. Check out the arcades, shops and food. And do all of that without getting sand in your wheels.

Chris, long time no hear!!! I hope you and the family have been well...

Anyhow, count me among those that have NO way of going on the beach AND keeping my dignity...

However, I was desparate last year & had my DH carry me down to the water's edge... course there were no fewer than three hundred people watching & by the time he brought me BACK from the water, everybody was clapping for him ROFL... I kid you not...

That is the only way I have found to get on the beach! BLAH.... Now, don't quote me, but I think Disney's Vero Beach might have a beach chair...

sncbird said:
Hi everyone,

You guys have help make our last few trips to WDW wonderful!!! Now we're torn between going back to FL. and try going to the beach, discovery cove to swim with the dolphins, plus a day or two at MK OR go on a cruise which we would love to take the kids to the different beaches. My question is - how would we do this? :confused3 My manual wheelchair cannot go in the sand.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Christine

Discovery Cove does have the sand wheelchairs, free to use, first come first served. i can walk a bit, but not unassisted on sand or other uneven ground. i used one 2 years ago. it was very hard to push so only DH could do it, not my DD's. but it did enable me to visit the park, and DH and I agreed that it was the best day of our 2wk vacation. (while the dolphin part was nice, IMHO the best part was the coral reef.)

-dj

Thank you everyone for your responses. Maintaining my dignity and overcoming embarrassment is something that I have learned to deal with when I had to start using the manual chair. As most of you know and have experienced, you do what you got to do to get from point A to point B. I did find out Royal Caribbean has beach chairs to use when you visit their private island. I'm going to check out the book Sue M mentioned and I'm happy to hear that Discovery Cove has beach chairs.

Hi Chris....It's been forever since we've chatted. I have a feeling my dh will be carrying me around too if we want to do any beach things!!

Thank you everyone again for your responses :)

We have a SMALL condo at Daytona Beach so go there pretty regularly.

You can drive onto the beach if you have a placard or plates free of charge.
Once past the soft sand you can unload wheechair and it is hardpacked. Best to go during low tide so that you have more room. Dan has used his chair on the beach but the life guards can bring you a sand chair if you prefer.

Daytona has a board walk and several ocean front parks that allow great views without getting down on the sand. Another pretty place that is accessible is the Jetty at Ponce Inlet. You can go pretty far out on a cement walkway and that too is accessible.

Any questions about Daytona feel free to email me. We just got back from a two week stay as Dan recuperated from surgery. Definitly a good place to do it!

Linda

Yes, Disney's Vero Beach Resort has a beach wheelchair--or at least they did a few years ago. I think I've read that there's one at Castaway Cay, too.

For those who don't want someone else to push them on the beach, a company called Jason Marine makes a power beach wheelchair. Haven't seen or tried it, so I have no idea how well it works. Have any of you ever used one?

I'd also like to know if you guys have ever used the Jason Marine manual chair. It looks like it would fit my DDs better than the traditional beach/pool chairs. The girls (age 18) are petite, and because the seat was too deep for them, the pvc pipe on the pool chairs at WDW hit them in all the wrong places. Very uncomfortable for them. I'd love to know if the Jason Marine chairs, which look more like regular wheelchairs than the PVC kind, actually work well in the sand and hold up .

chris1gill said:
However, I was desparate last year & had my DH carry me down to the water's edge... course there were no fewer than three hundred people watching & by the time he brought me BACK from the water, everybody was clapping for him ROFL... chair...
Beaches will never be wheelchair accessible until boardwalks and ramps down to the water are built. You can never tell when you might roll down a hard packed stretch of sand and hit a soft pocket.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Embarassed by clapping? Don't look at the audience and definitely don't say thank you and don't bow or curtsy.

Juliah said:
Yes, Disney's Vero Beach Resort has a beach wheelchair--or at least they did a few years ago. I think I've read that there's one at Castaway Cay, too.

For those who don't want someone else to push them on the beach, a company called Jason Marine makes a power beach wheelchair. Haven't seen or tried it, so I have no idea how well it works. Have any of you ever used one?

I'd also like to know if you guys have ever used the Jason Marine manual chair. It looks like it would fit my DDs better than the traditional beach/pool chairs. The girls (age 18) are petite, and because the seat was too deep for them, the pvc pipe on the pool chairs at WDW hit them in all the wrong places. Very uncomfortable for them. I'd love to know if the Jason Marine chairs, which look more like regular wheelchairs than the PVC kind, actually work well in the sand and hold up .
According to the internet page I posted a link to further up in the thread, some of the beaches the book talked about have power beach wheelchairs. I wonder if you found a beach that had one if they could give you some info.
Or the company that makes them might be able to refer you to someone they sold one to who would be willing to answer you.

LindaDVC said:
We have a SMALL condo at Daytona Beach so go there pretty regularly.

You can drive onto the beach if you have a placard or plates free of charge.
Once past the soft sand you can unload wheechair and it is hardpacked. Best to go during low tide so that you have more room. Dan has used his chair on the beach but the life guards can bring you a sand chair if you prefer.

Daytona has a board walk and several ocean front parks that allow great views without getting down on the sand. Another pretty place that is accessible is the Jetty at Ponce Inlet. You can go pretty far out on a cement walkway and that too is accessible.

Any questions about Daytona feel free to email me. We just got back from a two week stay as Dan recuperated from surgery. Definitly a good place to do it!

Linda
Sounds like you had a good time. Hope your Dan is all recovered now.

Thanks! Danny is feeling great.

As you probably recall he is a quadraplegic. He had severe lymphodema and we constantly battled infections, swelling, and pressure sores. He made the decision to amputate both legs. The amputation was not an issue since legs not functional BUT I had concerns re: the actual surgery. He did fabulous and will return to work August 10th. We will be getting in one more trip this summer to HH and Daytona before then!

He loves getting closer to things and feels he is more functional than ever.
Kids are ruder re: this than they ever have been after 20 yearrs of being in a w/c. Though we are shocked by the kids comments without any parent intervention he doesn't let it upset him-- he has no regrets and wishes he had done it years ago -- rather than the years of wrapping, and trying to heal the non-functional extremities.

Linda

LindaDVC said:
Thanks! Danny is feeling great.

As you probably recall he is a quadraplegic. He had severe lymphodema and we constantly battled infections, swelling, and pressure sores. He made the decision to amputate both legs. The amputation was not an issue since legs not functional BUT I had concerns re: the actual surgery. He did fabulous and will return to work August 10th. We will be getting in one more trip this summer to HH and Daytona before then!

He loves getting closer to things and feels he is more functional than ever.
Kids are ruder re: this than they ever have been after 20 yearrs of being in a w/c. Though we are shocked by the kids comments without any parent intervention he doesn't let it upset him-- he has no regrets and wishes he had done it years ago -- rather than the years of wrapping, and trying to heal the non-functional extremities.

Linda
his decision makes sense to me, but I work in a hospital where we see people with those kinds of problems.
It's very sad that kids are feeling free to make rude comments. For whatever reasons, the country seems to be getting into a more "me, me" attittude where people think it's OK to make comments about other people.

I am an OT so used to differences and Dan accepts who he is without any concerns. We have just been shocked at how verbal and LOUD these children have been expressing their thoughts on an amputation !

Parents have not even been giving them the eye to wait and discuss later or correcting their EXTREME rudeness..........

We feel for the people who aren't as comfortable with their disability and are hurt by the rude remarks. Luckily Dan isn't offended and has a positive outlook and knows he is healthier than he has been in years!

Sue, good idea about getting a referral from the company. That makes me think, maybe they would also share the names of any cities that had purchased their brand of chairs for municipal beaches. It might be a good way to try one out and also see how well they seem to wear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter