• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going to Tour some resorts , where should we eat?

DisneyFive

When is the 3:00 parade?
Alright fellow Dis'rs, how about some help... :thumbsup2

I have a conference at WDW (I know, crazy huh?) in Sept and my wife is joining me, staying at the Contemporary for the first time. :cool1: (my parents are awesome:goodvibes, and watching the kids back home). I feel guilty not bringing them... :guilty: but we have a family cruise lined up for Dec and it would just be excessive, plus it would mean pulling them out of school twice. Wife and I only plan to go into the parks once, for MNSSHP. The kids are cool with it, which makes it much easier.

Anyway, we have a day free before the conference starts. Flight arrives at 9:30 am, and by the time we check in and head out it will probably be about 11:30 am. We’ve decided to use the day touring/researching Disney resorts for our 2015 WDW family trip next year. Here are the resorts, at minimum, we plan to check out:

• Swan and Dolphin
  • Art of Animation
  • Coronado Springs
  • All Star Movies
  • Boardwalk

We’ve eaten at a lot of Disney TS and QS locations, but haven’t been to any of these resorts. I’m thinking QS for lunch, and TS for dinner. Not necessarily looking for a signature TS. Just standard QS and TS.

What would you suggest? ...either at the resort, or close by? Thanks!!! :grouphug:

Dan

Since you will be at the Boardwalk, for lunch I would stop into my favorite Beaches and Cream, or the lounge at the Yacht Club has delicious lunch served at table. There really isn't anyplace I would recommend at the Moderate or budget resorts you are going to see... For dinner at the Dolphin you will love the BlueZoo. I think you definitely need a reservation...

Maybe start with lunch at AOA (never been but their food court is supposed to be great), a snack at Boardwalk Bakery, and dinner at Maya Grill at CSR or Bluezoo at the Dolphin.

Thanks to both of you. Yeah, these places aren't known for having super popular places to eat.

The BlueZoo looks fantastic, but we're going to be on the go that day and will be fairly casual. Not sure I want to take the time for fine dining. I've read lots of great stuff about it though.

Maya Grill looks interesting... never done Tex-mex at Disney.

Still looking for options... Maybe we'll hit a standing favorite like Cape May's since we'll be in that area... hmm...

Dan

O.k., so I think I’ve narrowed it down to lunch at either Beaches & Cream or AoA food court, and dinner at one of these:

Cape Mays
Kouzzina
Captains Grille
Kona Cafe
Maya Grill

The only one of those we’ve been to is Cape May’s, which we really like.

Anything in particular about the other three that you can share?

Dan

O.k., so I think I’ve narrowed it down to lunch at either Beaches & Cream or AoA food court, and dinner at one of these:

Cape Mays
Kouzzina
Captains Grille
Kona Cafe
Maya Grill

Dan

I like Kouzzina's It is soon to be retired (I am debating about going there this weekend.

Captains Grille has good food, but the atmosphere is hotelly

I like Kona Cafe for asian inspired meals

Can't speak to Maya Grill

I would certainly hit up Kouzzina's. I really wanted to try it last year, but wasn't able to fit it into our schedule. It is closing on 9/30/14, so it would be your last chance to try it out. I love Iron Chef, and Cat Kora was one of my favorites, so I'm sad to see it go. I'm not coming this year til November, so alas, I will miss it.

We have ate at Kona Café for dinner. It was our fist time seeing the Poly, and it was really neat atmosphere. 'Ohanna was right next to it, so we got to peek at what that restaurant was all about as well. My hubby and I shared about 4 sushi rolls at Kona, and they were all delish. I also had some kind of a drink served in a coconut shell that was very tasty ::yes::

Cape Mays Hands down our favorite dinner at WDW, but I have heard conflicting reports that the all you can eat crab legs have been removed from the menu. If the crab legs are there, I would return again.
Kouzzina I believe this restaurant is closing, not sure of the date.
Captains Grille Very good food. Very quiet and was not busy at all
Kona Cafe DS's favorite restaurant! Loves the scallops and sushi
Maya Grill I have not ate there, but the unofficial guide gives this place a * out of *****. A very low rating for food, price and service.

Dan

Love Captains and Kona! Cape May is a must do for us, but if the crab legs are gone so are we.

Cape Mays
Kouzzina
Captains Grille
Kona Cafe
Maya Grill

Dan

Beaches & Cream was awesome. Beyond the food being above-average for burgers and sandwiches, the service was great and we love the atmosphere.

Captain's Grill was okay. We ate there as a walkup when it rained on our planned pool afternoon. The service was ok and the food was honestly better than I expected (the fish and chips was really pretty good) but as others mentioned, the atmosphere really leaves a lot to be desired. There are too many better choices to recommend this place. In fact, the lounge in the Yacht Club is cooler to me than Captain's Grill as there is a "butcher station" (a glass room where they prepare steaks for the Yachtsman Steakhouse next door) that provides some "entertainment" while you enjoy your food and drink. Love the change from your usual Disney environment in there and really feeling like you are in the Northeast somewhere.

Kona is a perpetual favorite of ours. We never feel rushed there and we really like the food. We've also had awesome luck with our servers. If you drink, the cocktail options at Kona are unique and superb due to the proximity to the Poly lounge. That would be my recommendation!

I'm voting for Kouzzina! It's very good and will close end of September, so this would be your only chance to eat there.

Captains Grille is fine, but kind of boring. I love Kona, but the construction going on at Poly really ruins the atmosphere.

The Fountain is casual at the Dolphin and good as is the Cabanna Beach bar/restaurant

We like Beaches and Cream but given the choice, I would much rather eat at Landscape of Flavors, the Art of Animation food court. I can get a burger and fries anywhere but the range of options at AoA is definitely worth checking out. We've gone there a couple of times specifically to eat lunch.

As for dinner, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Il Mulino at The Swan.

We like Beaches and Cream but given the choice, I would much rather eat at Landscape of Flavors, the Art of Animation food court. I can get a burger and fries anywhere but the range of options at AoA is definitely worth checking out. We've gone there a couple of times specifically to eat lunch. As for dinner, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Il Mulino at The Swan.

I think I am going to have to make a trip to AOA next time! I have heard a lot of good things about the food court!

I think I am going to have to make a trip to AOA next time! I have heard a lot of good things about the food court!

The rest of the CS places on property need to take some lessons from them. Last time, I had the Tandoori acorn squash with Naan bread and it was delicious. My wife had the chicken burger with black bean relish and said it was very good. They have many unique menu items that you won't find anywhere else on property.

The rest of the CS places on property need to take some lessons from them. Last time, I had the Tandoori acorn squash with Naan bread and it was delicious. My wife had the chicken burger with black bean relish and said it was very good. They have many unique menu items that you won't find anywhere else on property.

I agree. I love staying at POR, but the food court could be better as healthy and varied choices go.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Looks like we've settled in on the AoA food court for lunch, and Kouzzina for dinner.

This works good with our schedule. We had an ADR for Kouzzina back in 2012 but it DOWNPOURED right when we were about to head from HS to Kouzzina. We were stuck in the downpour, so we had to cancel the reservation.

This will give us a chance to finally try it out, especially since it's closing soon. Anyone know what's going in there instead?

Dan

It's being replaced with an Italian restaurant.

Thanks for the reply.

Really, another Italian restaurant? I mean, I get that they are popular places to eat, but there are already a number of them very close to this location.:confused3

I guess I'll reserve judgement until I can see the menu.

Dan

Thanks for the reply.

Really, another Italian restaurant? I mean, I get that they are popular places to eat, but there are already a number of them very close to this location.:confused3

I guess I'll reserve judgement until I can see the menu.

Dan

There's Via Napoli but that requires park admission of course. I suspect this place will do well (as long as the food is good). The Swan has Il Mulino but that isn't traditional Italian food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter