Going to Vegas, which Cirque Du Soleil

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
My dh and I haven't gone on a trip without the kids in years. We just found out that next month we'll have the unexpected opportunity to have someone watch the kids for two nights for our anniversary. We looked at the prices for airline tickets and out of all of the options for destinations we considered Vegas was the most affordable. As our anniversary gift to each other we're going to buy each other tickets to a show our spouse wishes to see since we never get to see shows when they're in town. My dh has always wanted to see Penn & Teller so I got him Saturday night tickets. I've always wanted to see Cirque du Soleil but when I looked at the choices online I was overwhelmed. We're going on a Friday night so Mystere isn't available but I think I can get tickets to the rest of them. Does anyone have recommendations for one that gives Cirque du Soleil virgin the full experience? I'm not interested in one that's big into magic tricks such as Criss Angel since we'll see an awesome magic show the following night.

I've been dying to see KA... so that gets my vote. It looks INCREDIBLE.

For Cirque shows I like O, KA, and Zumanity although it's racy.

My favorite shoe however that I've seen over and over is le Reve at Wynn, which isn't a Cirque show but was created by the former Cirque director that left to do his own thing. KA is probably my fave Cirque show is you're set on that and I've seen it three times. Just spectacular and great music. I listen to the soundtracks for le Reve and KA often!

We were in Las Vegas last month for our anniversary and we went to Blue Man Group, KA and Love. I'd have to say KA was hands down the best! I kind of wish we'd seen Love first, because it didn't have the impact I think it would have had if we hadn't seen KA two days earlier.

I would say that KA is more different from the (traveling) Cirque shows we have seen previously and Love was more like what I would have expected based on the shows we had seen before.

M.

My first Cirque show was Mystere and to be honest I wasn't impressed and almost didn't want to go to another. I did give it another shot this past summer and did The Beatles Love and it was fabulous! I would recommend that to anyone and makes me open to wanting to see more!

Mystere is still my favorite. I was also blown away by Love on my last trip but I guess that would depend if you're into Beatles music.

Our son, who's in college, interned with Cirque last summer as a Rigger with "O". We went to see him and saw "O", Ka, and Mystere while we were in Vegas. Each show has it's own strength. Mystere is the oldest Cirque resident show in Vegas and is more of a "traditional" Cirque show in terms of the look and feel. "O" is unique because of it's elegance and the use of the water (and not just in the tank). Ka is amazingly technical and visually. The "sand cliff" is amazing to see in it's various uses. The show is also very different in that it really tells a story. The "acts" are more woven into the story and more "subtle" (with the exception of the Wheel of Death). Ka is a very non-traditional Cirque show, to me. (If you go see Ka, be sure to wait in the lobby just after the ticket takers to see the performance on the giant overhead resonant harp, most people miss it and it starts about 10-15 minutes before the show.)

I have a hard time recommending a "best" show. Of the three we saw, "O" was probably our favorite, but that's in part because it was our sons's show.

We also would have liked to see Love, and suspect we would have really liked it, but the tickets are more expensive tickets by comparison to other Cirque shows and the timing didn't work for us.

Last edited:
We chose to see KA simply because we were staying at MGM, but it was a great show and I would like to see it again someday, even if we are in a different hotel

Here's a clip of the resonant harp in the inner lobby of Ka. It is played by the musicians dragging rosin coated gloves along each tuned wire, causing it to vibrate. Most people aren't even aware of it's existence as they're already in the house before the performance starts. We also watched plenty of people walk right underneath it (you have to look up to see it) and not notice it as they must have assumed the music was recorded.

I have seen several of the Cirque shows in Vegas. If you and your husband like the music of the Beatles, then I recommend Love at The Mirage. Fantastic music, acrobatics, and artistry. Love gives you the full Cirque experience. O at Bellagio is also good, but can be slow in parts.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw Cirque's Michael Jackson tribute at Mandalay Bay, and thought that it was just OK. It was light on acrobatics, and underwhelming compared to other Cirque shows. My husband, however, loved it.

I've seen Mystere, "O", Michael Jackson ONE and Zumanity. I liked all of them with the exception of Zumanity. It was a bit lame....not much of a Cirque. IMO. "O" and ONE are my favorites of the four.

We have seen just about every show there and KA is the only one we went multiple times. Unfortunately it is not the orginal show. The changed the finale after a performer died.

We have seen just about every show there and KA is the only one we went multiple times. Unfortunately it is not the orginal show. The changed the finale after a performer died.
Interesting, I thought the only changes they made to the show after the accident were technical in nature. My son is training on the type of systems that were involved in the accident (rigging and automation). I thought they mainly had to install "E-stop" devices on each performer's line that would prevent them from rising too close to the grid.

Our son, who's in college, interned with Cirque last summer as a Rigger with "O". We went to see him and saw "O", Ka, and Mystere while we were in Vegas. Each show has it's own strength. Mystere is the oldest Cirque resident show in Vegas and is more of a "traditional" Cirque show in terms of the look and feel. "O" is unique because of it's elegance and the use of the water (and not just in the tank). Ka is amazingly technical and visually. The "sand cliff" is amazing to see in it's various uses. The show is also very different in that it really tells a story. The "acts" are more woven into the story and more "subtle" (with the exception of the Wheel of Death). Ka is a very non-traditional Cirque show, to me. (If you go see Ka, be sure to wait in the lobby just after the ticket takers to see the performance on the giant overhead resonant harp, most people miss it and it starts about 10-15 minutes before the show.)

I have a hard time recommending a "best" show. Of the three we saw, "O" was probably our favorite, but that's in part because it was our sons's show.

We also would have liked to see Love, and suspect we would have really liked it, but the tickets are more expensive tickets by comparison to other Cirque shows and the timing didn't work for us.

Did you by chance happen to get a discount on the O tickets because your son works for the show? It's my understanding the O tickets aren't very often discounted because the show is still in high demand. LOVE is also in high demand, but deals are offered more frequently.

I've never heard mention of the lobby performance for Ka before the show, thanks for the info. We're possibly giving the show a try next trip and also plan to do the backstage tour they've just started offering for that one (free). I think it's Tuesday's around 11 or noon, about half an hour. DH will no doubt love the chance to geek out over theater and tech in one tour.

As far as recommendation for OP, I think Mystere, LOVE and O are considered tops of three separate styles offered.

Interesting, I thought the only changes they made to the show after the accident were technical in nature. My son is training on the type of systems that were involved in the accident (rigging and automation). I thought they mainly had to install "E-stop" devices on each performer's line that would prevent them from rising too close to the grid.

I believe they've gone back to the original finale with some very minor adjustments -- and new technical safety measures such as you describe. For quite some time after the accident they were running a video segment in place of the battle scene where the accident occurred.

Did you by chance happen to get a discount on the O tickets because your son works for the show? It's my understanding the O tickets aren't very often discounted because the show is still in high demand. LOVE is also in high demand, but deals are offered more frequently.
Yes, that was one of the perks he had working on the show. If they had available seating, he and his guests were able to watch from the house, otherwise you'd be seated behind the lightboard in their booth. We got to sit in the house when he took us.

Zarkana is pretty good, but then again, they all are. O springs to mind.

I believe they've gone back to the original finale with some very minor adjustments -- and new technical safety measures such as you describe. For quite some time after the accident they were running a video segment in place of the battle scene where the accident occurred.

Yes; I believe they have gone back to the original ending. I remember reading a few articles and seeing a news clip about that a while back. The original, "live" battle returned to the show in December 2014.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter