Going to WDW next summer, 1st time. Help!?

TinkerbugBug97

Earning My Ears
Next summer('12), I am going to Disney World with my family. Please read the information below and help me with rides that my cousins could ride.(and the people listed)
-2 cousins.
-boys.
-will be 6 and 9.
-their 1st time.
-9 of us.
-staying 5 days/4 nights
-14 year old.
-22 year old.
-64 year old.
-43 year old.
-41 year old.
-37 year old.
-36 year old.

I know that it is a year away, but i just want to help make their first(and maybe last) vacation to Disney Magical!
Thanks for all your help!

xoxo-
TinkerbugBug97

Wow, that's a big vacation with such a big age range. I don't think you should worry too much. Just make sure how many rides your 6 year old cousin may be able to ride or would like to ride, same with your other cousin though the height limits in Disney aren't too hard to come by. So I wouldn't worry too much about rides with your cousins, I think the 64 year old will be sort of the turning point, since usually that is the age where health restrictions come into play, though I've seen older people come down on Expedition Everest, so it just depends on how healthy they are. They may just want to stick with dark rides. But to see if everyone is around the same level of "thrill-seeking", either go to Tomorrowland in MK first and ride Space Mountain or ride both Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain in Frontierland. Another idea would be to check out YouTube and have maybe the hesitant members of the trip watch on-ride videos so they can be prepared, which I think is the best way. Though, you are also going at a time when MK is going to begin opening the new experiences from the Fantasyland Expansion so don't miss out on that. The only two rides where you may have to split off are Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, they are the scariest rides in Disney, by far. Just make sure who's ready to ride what and see from there. BTW, where in Disney are you staying?

Wow, that's a big vacation with such a big age range. I don't think you should worry too much. Just make sure how many rides your 6 year old cousin may be able to ride or would like to ride, same with your other cousin though the height limits in Disney aren't too hard to come by. So I wouldn't worry too much about rides with your cousins, I think the 64 year old will be sort of the turning point, since usually that is the age where health restrictions come into play, though I've seen older people come down on Expedition Everest, so it just depends on how healthy they are. They may just want to stick with dark rides. But to see if everyone is around the same level of "thrill-seeking", either go to Tomorrowland in MK first and ride Space Mountain or ride both Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain in Frontierland. Another idea would be to check out YouTube and have maybe the hesitant members of the trip watch on-ride videos so they can be prepared, which I think is the best way. Though, you are also going at a time when MK is going to begin opening the new experiences from the Fantasyland Expansion so don't miss out on that. The only two rides where you may have to split off are Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, they are the scariest rides in Disney, by far. Just make sure who's ready to ride what and see from there. BTW, where in Disney are you staying?

Thanks! And we are looking at the Polynesian, Pop Century, All Star Movies, and Carribbean Beach. My Family(Me, mom, dad, and sis) have stayed at the Polynesian all 4 times we have went and think that it is our best bet, but my Uncle is teetering on the price, he thinks it is too much, but he doesnt really know the benefits haha. Do you have any reccomendations?

Thanks! And we are looking at the Polynesian, Pop Century, All Star Movies, and Carribbean Beach. My Family(Me, mom, dad, and sis) have stayed at the Polynesian all 4 times we have went and think that it is our best bet, but my Uncle is teetering on the price, he thinks it is too much, but he doesnt really know the benefits haha. Do you have any reccomendations?

I heard that All Star Movies is the worst resort in Disney, it is the oldest of the All Stars and it is a value so you don't get a lot. Pop Century I heard is the best of the values. I've never been to Polynesian, though I've heard a lot of good things, but never much about Caribbean Beach. I highly recommend the last resort I was at, Kidani Village (Animal Kingdom Lodge) and if you have enough money, get a savannah view. They have great restaurants at both AKLs (Kidani Village and Jambo House are the two branches of AKL, restaurants are Jiko, Boma and Sanaa) and there is a great pool right outside Kidani and it is awesome to watch the animals roam about outside your room. Great resort!

I heard that All Star Movies is the worst resort in Disney, it is the oldest of the All Stars and it is a value so you don't get a lot. Pop Century I heard is the best of the values. I've never been to Polynesian, though I've heard a lot of good things, but never much about Caribbean Beach. I highly recommend the last resort I was at, Kidani Village (Animal Kingdom Lodge) and if you have enough money, get a savannah view. They have great restaurants at both AKLs (Kidani Village and Jambo House are the two branches of AKL, restaurants are Jiko, Boma and Sanaa) and there is a great pool right outside Kidani and it is awesome to watch the animals roam about outside your room. Great resort!

There is a 75% chance we will stay at the Polynesian, the only thing holding us back is the price, but we have a year and a half to save haha. My dad had a friend that had stayed at the AKL and said it was a good resort, but the smell was kind of bad... But, thanks for the info on the Movies! We stayed at the Pop for a night last year, the rooms are a lot smaller and the beds as well. So, I think we are going to stay at the Poly, maybe Carribbean Beach. But, if you hear anything new, or have any new info, please let me know:-)

There is a 75% chance we will stay at the Polynesian, the only thing holding us back is the price, but we have a year and a half to save haha. My dad had a friend that had stayed at the AKL and said it was a good resort, but the smell was kind of bad... But, thanks for the info on the Movies! We stayed at the Pop for a night last year, the rooms are a lot smaller and the beds as well. So, I think we are going to stay at the Poly, maybe Carribbean Beach. But, if you hear anything new, or have any new info, please let me know:-)

Well I think you've been to Disney more than I have, but I'm going next month and maybe I'll stop by those resorts and see how they look. Though I've seen the Polynesian on the Magical Express. I'm guessing Caribbean Beach is on the Boardwalk right?

And really? about the AKL. There was no funny smell, when I was there. Kidani is the newest resort at the moment at WDW, until Art of Animation is finally built. Though he may have stayed at Jambo House, which I never got to go inside. :confused3

Next summer('12), I am going to Disney World with my family. Please read the information below and help me with rides that my cousins could ride.(and the people listed)
-2 cousins.
-boys.
-will be 6 and 9.
-their 1st time.
-9 of us.
-staying 5 days/4 nights
-14 year old.
-22 year old.
-64 year old.
-43 year old.
-41 year old.
-37 year old.
-36 year old.

I know that it is a year away, but i just want to help make their first(and maybe last) vacation to Disney Magical!
Thanks for all your help!

xoxo-
TinkerbugBug97

thats cool, im goin next summer too :)

as for the rides, i wouldnt worry about it. Disney has a huge... i guess u could say "selection"... and it all depends on what yuor cousins like. if they like bug rollercoasters, then id recommend going on rockin rollercoaster, expedition: everest, etc. WDW is amazing, and I hope u have an amazing time!! !:)

This is a broad question, but I'll do my best!

Hotel: If you want a value, I definitely say Pop Century. It's my family's favorite hotel. It's very upbeat and fun, the pools are nice and the food court is amazing. Word of warning, if you're family isn't much into bright and colorful or really needs peace and quiet, I don't think this would be good. The rooms are smaller, there are a lot of kids and a lot of people stay up late, so it can be kind of noisy. I know a lot of people hate the bright theme and think it's tacky. I've never used Disney transportation so I can't say much for the buses. We have 4 people each vacation and the rooms are always clean and big enough for us.

We've only stayed there All Star Movies and Port Orleans: French Quarter. All Star movies was quite awhile back so I can't say how it is now, it was fine then. We stayed at French Quarter last summer and we loved it. We got a room that hadn't been refurbished so the room was not great. That said, the whole theme is beautiful and the rooms are bigger. I loved walking around and looking at everything. You can also take a boat at the hotel to Downtown Disney. It was very relaxing and awesome to be able to hop on a boat! The food court is okay, try the beignets if you go. It's quiet and I hardly saw many people there when we stayed last summer.

As for the smell at AKL, one of my friends stayed there in September and said her room smelled bad too from the animals outside.

Rides:
Since you have quite a few people going, you can pretty much hit up whatever you see that looks fun. From my knowledge, your cousins should be able to ride everything since it's height related. Some rides might not be good for the 64 year old depending on health.

Magic Kingdom:
Astro Orbiter: Never been on this, but appropriate for all ages. Basically just spaceships that lift into the air and circle.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: One of my favorite rides at Magic Kingdom. Should be fine for everybody. Goes pretty fast, no loops.
Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin: Fun for everyone. Slow, in the dark, shoot targets. Might get a fastpass early, this line can get pretty long.
Dumbo: Depending on the kids, they might think it's too childish.
Haunted Mansion: In the dark, might be scary for a 6 year old, basically just ghosts, but it's fun and goes slow.
It's a Small World: Everyone can ride.
Jungle Cruise: Fun for everyone.
Teacups: Adults seem to not like the spinning so it might just be fun for the younger crowd. Fun for everyone.
Magic Carpets of Aladdin: Basically like dumbo and astro orbiter, depends on the kids.
Adventures of Winine the Pooh: fun for everyone. Also Fastpass is best idea.
Peter Pan's Flight: Fun for everyone. Suggest getting fastpass early in the morning, the line gets long.
Phillhar Magic: 3D show, fun for everyone.
Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor: Fun for everyone.
Pirates of the Carribean: Some loud sounds, should be fine with everyone.
Snow White's Scary adventure: I think this will be closed next summer, not sure. Scared me when I was a kid, but it's slow and I think the kids will be fine.
Space Mountain: In the dark, fast, 44 inch height or taller, not sure about the 6yrold. Fun for the older kids. Definitely get a fastpass, this ride seemed to have the longest lines all the time.
Splash Mountain: Should be fine, steep drop into water.
Stitch's Great escape: Should be fine, not my favorite.
Tomorrowland Speedway: Fun for everyone.

Epcot:
Mission: Space: 44inch height. Not sure about the kids, probably just teens and the adults, not sure about the older adults. You can pick the milder side of the ride. I haven't been on it because I'm afraid of it. haha. My family has been on it and said it was fun.
Soarin': Fun for everyone. If someone is afraid of heights, they probably shouldn't ride it. Fastpass this.
Test Track:Should be fine, goes fast and sudden turns, not sure about the older adults. Fastpass this if possible.
Seas with Nemo and Friends: Fun for everyone.

Disney's Hollywood Studios:
Great Movie Ride: fun for everyone.
Muppets 3D: 3d movie, fun for everyone.
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster: 48 inches or taller. Probably not the 6 year old or the older adults. Loops, dark rollercoaster, fast takeoff. One of my favorites.
Tower of Terror: 40 inches or taller. Not sure about 6 year old or older adults. Fast drops and sudden drops. Another favorite.
Toy Story Mania: 3D game, fun for everyone. Favorite. Definite fastpass. Get there first, grab a fastpass then get in line to ride. This is the longest line at WDW right now I'm pretty sure.
Animal Kingdom:
Dinosaur: Never been, but I'm thinking everyone should be fine. Kind of scary with dinosaurs.
Expedition Everest: Not sure about 6 year old. I think it's the scariest ride in WDW. Fast Rollercoaster. Still a favorite. Fastpass this.
Tough to be a bug: 3D show, fun for everyone if they're not afraid of bugs.
Kali River Rapids:Water ride, should be fine with everyone.
Kilimanjaro Safari: Fun for everyone.
Primeval Whirl: Lots of twists that gave my family a headache. Should be fine for everyone.
TriceraTop Spin: Like Dumbo, depends on kids.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/?fv_78193=on&resultSet=42page=2 Here is a link that lists all the attractions at all four parks that you can look more into. It has height listings and with some pictures which will help decide.

If you're not sure about some I suggest looking them up on youtube and it'll give you a good idea about whether they're appropriate for the kids or older adults. I don't know that many 6 year olds so I don't know whether they're too scary or not.

Hope this helps! :goodvibes

ETA: Added some things about fastpass. It's best to get there as soon as the park opens and hit up a fastpass for the ride you want to ride the most, then hit the line for another ride you want to ride. You can knock out two pretty fast. Your family probably knows about fastpass. If you'd like to know more I can explain it!

Rides:
Since you have quite a few people going, you can pretty much hit up whatever you see that looks fun. From my knowledge, your cousins should be able to ride everything since it's height related. Some rides might not be good for the 64 year old depending on health.

Magic Kingdom:
Astro Orbiter: Never been on this, but appropriate for all ages. Basically just spaceships that lift into the air and circle.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: One of my favorite rides at Magic Kingdom. Should be fine for everybody. Goes pretty fast, no loops.
Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin: Fun for everyone. Slow, in the dark, shoot targets.
Haunted Mansion: In the dark, might be scary for a 6 year old, basically just ghosts, but it's fun and goes slow.
Teacups: Adults seem to not like the spinning so it might just be fun for the younger crowd. Fun for everyone.
Magic Carpets of Aladdin: Basically like dumbo and astro orbiter, depends on the kids.
Adventures of Winine the Pooh: fun for everyone.
Peter Pan's Flight: Fun for everyone.
Snow White's Scary adventure: I think this will be closed next summer, not sure. Scared me when I was a kid, but it's slow and I think the kids will be fine.
Space Mountain: In the dark, fast, 44 inch height or taller, not sure about the 6yrold. Fun for the older kids.

Epcot:
Mission: Space: 44inch height. Not sure about the kids, probably just teens and the adults, not sure about the older adults. You can pick the milder side of the ride. I haven't been on it because I'm afraid of it. haha. My family has been on it and said it was fun.
Soarin': Fun for everyone. If someone is afraid of heights, they probably shouldn't ride it.
Test Track:Should be fine, goes fast and sudden turns, not sure about the older adults.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster: 48 inches or taller. Probably not the 6 year old or the older adults. Loops, dark rollercoaster, fast takeoff. One of my favorites.
Tower of Terror: 40 inches or taller. Not sure about 6 year old or older adults. Fast drops and sudden drops. Another favorite.
Toy Story Mania: 3D game, fun for everyone. Favorite.

Animal Kingdom:
Dinosaur: Never been, but I'm thinking everyone should be fine. Kind of scary with dinosaurs.
Expedition Everest: Not sure about 6 year old. I think it's the scariest ride in WDW. Fast Rollercoaster. Still a favorite.
Primeval Whirl: Lots of twists that gave my family a headache. Should be fine for everyone.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/?fv_78193=on&resultSet=42page=2 Here is a link that lists all the attractions at all four parks that you can look more into. It has height listings and with some pictures which will help decide.

If you're not sure about some I suggest looking them up on youtube and it'll give you a good idea about whether they're appropriate for the kids or older adults. I don't know that many 6 year olds so I don't know whether they're too scary or not.

This is a great idea of all the rides and a guess of who wants to ride what. A lot of what my family does when we get there honestly is we go to the park and decide then what we go on. My sis (14 years old) is kind of whimpy when it comes to rides but after she actually sees the ride sometimes she decides to go on it (or vice versa). For everyone on the trip, seeing the ride will probably help them decide.

I would suggest the French Quarter they are very nice. I would suggest to try there beinyays or however its spelled( there these lil things kinda like a soapias and a donut mix and there really good with hunny).

This is a broad question, but I'll do my best!

Hotel: If you want a value, I definitely say Pop Century. It's my family's favorite hotel. It's very upbeat and fun, the pools are nice and the food court is amazing. Word of warning, if you're family isn't much into bright and colorful or really needs peace and quiet, I don't think this would be good. The rooms are smaller, there are a lot of kids and a lot of people stay up late, so it can be kind of noisy. I know a lot of people hate the bright theme and think it's tacky. I've never used Disney transportation so I can't say much for the buses. We have 4 people each vacation and the rooms are always clean and big enough for us.

We've only stayed there All Star Movies and Port Orleans: French Quarter. All Star movies was quite awhile back so I can't say how it is now, it was fine then. We stayed at French Quarter last summer and we loved it. We got a room that hadn't been refurbished so the room was not great. That said, the whole theme is beautiful and the rooms are bigger. I loved walking around and looking at everything. You can also take a boat at the hotel to Downtown Disney. It was very relaxing and awesome to be able to hop on a boat! The food court is okay, try the beignets if you go. It's quiet and I hardly saw many people there when we stayed last summer.

As for the smell at AKL, one of my friends stayed there in September and said her room smelled bad too from the animals outside.

Rides:

Magic Kingdom:
Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin: Fun for everyone. Slow, in the dark, shoot targets. Might get a fastpass early, this line can get pretty long.
Adventures of Winine the Pooh: fun for everyone. Also Fastpass is best idea.
Peter Pan's Flight: Fun for everyone. Suggest getting fastpass early in the morning, the line gets long.
Space Mountain: In the dark, fast, 44 inch height or taller, not sure about the 6yrold. Fun for the older kids. Definitely get a fastpass, this ride seemed to have the longest lines all the time.

Epcot:
Soarin': Fun for everyone. If someone is afraid of heights, they probably shouldn't ride it. Fastpass this.
Test Track:Should be fine, goes fast and sudden turns, not sure about the older adults. Fastpass this if possible.

Toy Story Mania: 3D game, fun for everyone. Favorite. Definite fastpass. Get there first, grab a fastpass then get in line to ride. This is the longest line at WDW right now I'm pretty sure.
Animal Kingdom:
Expedition Everest: Not sure about 6 year old. I think it's the scariest ride in WDW. Fast Rollercoaster. Still a favorite. Fastpass this.

ETA: Added some things about fastpass. It's best to get there as soon as the park opens and hit up a fastpass for the ride you want to ride the most, then hit the line for another ride you want to ride. You can knock out two pretty fast. Your family probably knows about fastpass. If you'd like to know more I can explain it!

also on mount everest theres also a single rider it gets you through faster sometimes

Thanks, everyone for the help! I am super excited. Does anyone have any tips on Disney? My family and I have been 4 times(5th in '12), we have been reffered to as Disney Know-it-all's, but i figured out there is always someone who knows more haha. so tips are needed and appreciated:-)

I have a tip. If you are using the Dining Plan and reserved table services later than you would like, don't fret if you want to come earlier and they'll let you in. Also, if at a restaurant, that is just about to open and you have no reservations, ask them and they usually let you in pretty quick. So in a sense don't be so by the book when it comes to restaurant reservations, usually they'll cut some slack or just be "yeah, its fine".

I have a tip. If you are using the Dining Plan and reserved table services later than you would like, don't fret if you want to come earlier and they'll let you in. Also, if at a restaurant, that is just about to open and you have no reservations, ask them and they usually let you in pretty quick. So in a sense don't be so by the book when it comes to restaurant reservations, usually they'll cut some slack or just be "yeah, its fine".

Awesome, thanks! I know this past year('10) my family had reservations at Sci-Fi, there was a lady who came in and sat for close to an hour to get reservations, when they are booked. This past year was the first time we had done the Disney Deluxe Dining Plan, and it was amazing! Have any "Have To" resturaunts?

Talk about a lot of people going on a VK. lol I would suggest that you don't always stay together at every single second of the day. break away to do rides, dinner, anything really! It's tons of fun to be with your family, but just remember that you don't always have to be with them.=)

ALSO-HAVE FUN!!!!!!

When my family goes we also bring a lot of people of all different ages. We still have a blast and we never miss out on any of the fun just because we have a larger group than most. We had 19 people go on our last trip including my grandparents, and two babies. We would split up at certain times throughout the day but we ate at all of the restaurants together and we would ride as many rides as we could together. When we go we all stay at Fort Wilderness in two different campsites (except for the babies and their parents, they stayed in a hotel) Disney is fun no matter how many people you bring :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter