Going to WDW on 1/29/17 - VIP Tour Guide: Any tips or tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinipig523

Earning My Ears
Any tips or tricks for the VIP Tour Guide? We have booked one for our Magic Kingdom trip. We booked 6 hours, and we made it for 2p-8p, so we can catch the premium VIP seating for the MK fireworks show which I believe starts at 8pm.

Another thing we did was request a female cast member tour guide, because our 2 year old daughter seems less friendly towards men who are strangers, and we were hoping she would hang out with the cast member while wife and I went on some of the bigger rides.

We booked our lunch at Tony's at 1pm so that we don't use up TG time... then we meet her at 2pm at MK.

Anything I need to know about with regards to VIP TG? Do we tip? Should I tip a little bit in the beginning and then again at the end to get better service? How best to navigate MK with a TG?

Do TG get preferred seating at dinners? The best time we could get into the Crystal Garden's Buffet was 715pm, which we are not sure is enough time to make it to the 8pm fireworks at the VIP section.

Any tips or tricks for the VIP Tour Guide? We have booked one for our Magic Kingdom trip. We booked 6 hours, and we made it for 2p-8p, so we can catch the premium VIP seating for the MK fireworks show which I believe starts at 8pm.

Another thing we did was request a female cast member tour guide, because our 2 year old daughter seems less friendly towards men who are strangers, and we were hoping she would hang out with the cast member while wife and I went on some of the bigger rides.

We booked our lunch at Tony's at 1pm so that we don't use up TG time... then we meet her at 2pm at MK.

Anything I need to know about with regards to VIP TG? Do we tip? Should I tip a little bit in the beginning and then again at the end to get better service? How best to navigate MK with a TG?

Do TG get preferred seating at dinners? The best time we could get into the Crystal Garden's Buffet was 715pm, which we are not sure is enough time to make it to the 8pm fireworks at the VIP section.
Yes, the Guides appreciate tips and most CMs can't accept a tip unless it is offered 3 times. So be persistent when you offer the tip.

I'm not sure if the Guides are allowed to babysit while you go on rides.

Check out this thread, it has a lot of advice: http://www.disboards.com/threads/vip-day-suggestions.3536636/page-3#post-56987784

And absolutely the VIP guides accept tips. They do not have to refuse them two times and they get to keep the tip. I don't think anyone knows the right amount, but in Dec I gave a guide $200. I've seen people say they tipped $100 and others say they tip them 20% (>$800 seems excessive to me...). If you want to tip, do it at the end if you feel you got good service. In my experience, they will do anything they can to make you are happy.

I wouldn't expect them to babysit, however.

If you want something like special seating, it is best to get that arranged with your coordinator ahead of time. I don't think the guide will be able to do that day of.

And just FYI... you can book for 6 hours, but the minimum they will bill is for 7. So you might as well get the full value of what you will be paying for.

I have seen a number of guides with little ones while there parens are on the ride ( I just saw one at the exit of BTMRR last weekend while I was waiting to go on)

Yes, the Guides appreciate tips and most CMs can't accept a tip unless it is offered 3 times. So be persistent when you offer the tip.

I'm not sure if the Guides are allowed to babysit while you go on rides.

We use the same VIP guide on every trip and, after going through an attraction line, he'll sit with my daughter if she decides she doesn't want to ride (that's rare, though). Alternatively, he also takes her on Splash as it's right up there with her favorite rides, whereas I don't like it.

To the OP: we tip our guide every time and he seems to genuinely appreciate it. I always tip at the end. Also, give your tour guide a rough idea of what you'd like to accomplish and she'll work out the best way to tour the park. Have fun! Our VIP tour days are our favorites!

Quick tips:

-Still get fastpasses for after the vip tour guide is done, you may want to hit a few more rides.
-Have ADRs in place ahead of time, they can't work magic and get you in a full restaurant but they will try.
-They are allowed to join you for meals but might decline, have that extra spot in the adr in case you want them to join you.
-It's up to you how much you want to include them in your time together. They will by default just help you make your plan happen and be on the sideline.

I just listened to an interesting review on the VIP Tour on the WDW Today podcast, the Jan 11 episode. I would definitely listen if you get a chance, has tips as well as opinions etc

Sounds like you have a great day planned! We used a guide for two days in July 2015. She graciously accepted a tip ($300 for each day) the first time it was offered. She was great at keeping us going and getting as much done as possible. Our kids are teens, wish we would have done this years earlier. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter