• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going to WDW through a Wish Organization - Do I need a GAC as well?

5dwarves

DIS Veteran
This will be our first trip to WDW. Family of 7, one special needs, and we are going through a Wish organization. We are getting buttons that give us some preferential treatment in lines, free wheel chair, etc. Do we need the GAC as well?

Nope - they will provide you with all the documentation you need to have the best, most magical experience ever!

Just agreeing.
They will give you what you need to get the assistance you need.

Thanks for the info to both of you. I lived in So. Cal. for 10 years and went to the Land all the time...first time this year to WDW. Planning a trip for the two of us and our five children, one w/ special needs, is a little intimidating. I am obsessing a little about getting everything down now so that things will go as smoothly as they can when we get there. I am expecting bumps, but I am hoping for as few as possible.

If you will be using a stroller, you will want to get a GAC allowing you to use the stroller as a wheelchair.

Kev was in a stroller - type set up when we went and we didn't need to stop at guest services for any forms at all at WDW.

It may have changed since then, so it's a good question for the Wish folks when you have your orientation at GKTW.

We did have to check-in at Universal, but we were told we had to do that at our GKTW orientation meeting.

I will make sure to make my GKTW question list ready before we get there so I don't forget anything. Thanks for your assistance!

Kev was in a stroller - type set up when we went and we didn't need to stop at guest services for any forms at all at WDW.
If you have a larger special needs stroller and a larger child, the CMs can generally recognize those as mobility strollers without much difficulty and you probably won't have any problems.

With a smaller child using a regular stroller, you will need either a card or a sticker that they have been using to designate 'stroller as wheelchair.'
Some of the smaller special needs strollers look very much like a regular stroller to most people, so you would probably be best off getting a GAC or sticker for those too.

The Give Kids the World or MAW people will be aware of what you need and help you get it arranged.

Thanks to all. My special needs child is 8 and a transplant patient. He has Aspbergers as well. He doesn't have a "visual" disability, so rather than lobby with CMs I will make sure to get the stroller sticker/card. I am planning on renting the double stroller so my youngest son (5) could ride when he gets fatigued.

We got the double stroller at each park so both of our kids could ride if they wanted to. When we got to Living Seas at Epcot, the CM said we couldn't go in with the stroller even with the GAC we got from GKTW. That's when we learned to stop at Guest Services for an additional GAC to use the stroller as a wheelchair.

As it pertains to being on a wish trip - I tell you what - I would have been tempted to ask for a supervisor or whatever at that ride rather than walk all the way to guest services. I'm really sorry that happened to you.

ETA - so therefore, very good advice of yours to get the stroller sticker ON THE WAY IN!!!!!! Still very very sad that you ran into that.

We weren't upset by it. My dd didn't really care if she went in, so she and I sat outside and did some people watching. But we did learn a lesson to pass on to others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter