Golden globes question-ricky gervais

I thought Ricky was great. Actually, he was the only reason I turned the Globes on in the first place.

Although his name was familiar to me, I didn't really know who he was, nor am I familiar with his humor.

I didn't see the show, but I did go read what he'd said online. Honestly I thought it was pretty tame. I was expecting something really shocking.

It's an award show - ie. just one big commercial for the movies and actors nominated etc. I sure don't take it like some really serious tribute. It's just self-serving publicity.

I'll bet more people are tuned into what happened at GG this year than at any other time. So as a publicity stunt it worked.

Ricky Gervais was hilarious. I adore him and his sense of humor. He was actually quite tame last night compare to how he usually eviscerate the likes of Karl Pilkington (those who know Ricky know who I am talking about). Hollywood can dish it out but they suck at taking it. The GG people knew what they were getting with Gervais, so they can't act surprised when he acts like..well..Ricky Gervais!

I agree. That's what he does, and he did it last year too.

The joke about Charlie Sheen? He deserves it. He's being coddled by CBS for behavior that would get me fired from my job in less than 10 seconds.

The joke about Robert Downey Jr? Yes, it was mean. But then RDJ launched into a whole speech about how he wanted to sleep with all of the women in the best actress category, so he was exactly a saint he walked out onstage either.

I love Sex and the City...but I laughed so hard when he said he saw one of them on Bonanza. :rotfl2:

Going after the HFPA? Please. It's a joke, and everyone knows it. The Tourist was getting ripped for the nominations it got for weeks before the show, what Ricky did was nothing new, he just did it in front of the people involved.

They're making too big of a deal out of the whole thing.

This is an agree to disagree sitch. Some liked him....some didn't. End of story.

i'm looking forward to seeing James Franco hosting the Oscars in Feb!
Yum..
images

Hollywood takes itself way too seriously, which is why I loved Ricky's performance last night. IMO, many of those overinflated egos need a little air let out from them once in a while to let them know that they are not safe from ridicule, even from within.

His act reminded me a lot of Chris Rock's performances. Chris was never afraid to tell it like it is, either.

I agree! I like Ricky, but did not watch the show...just caught the highlights this morning. BTW, it looked like Johnny was laughing at the joke made about The Tourist. Johnny does not even watch his own movies so why does he care?

Ricky Gervais was hilarious. I adore him and his sense of humor. He was actually quite tame last night compare to how he usually eviscerate the likes of Karl Pilkington (those who know Ricky know who I am talking about). Hollywood can dish it out but they suck at taking it. The GG people knew what they were getting with Gervais, so they can't act surprised when he acts like..well..Ricky Gervais!

I'm a huge Ricky Gervais fan too. I thought he was funny. Sure, some of the jokes were of bad taste, but that is what makes things funny sometimes.

By the way, Karls "Idiot Abroad" series will be on Discover channel on Saturday night. I'm so glad they are showing it in the U.S.

while I agree that different situations require different levels of sarcasm/humor.....I still stand by the fact that they knew exactly what to expect from him given his past performance and comments he made in interviews prior to the Globes!!!! You don't hire Gervais to act like anyone but Gervais. You want to take it down a few notches, you hire someone else.

..and I totally disagree about his career dying. He may not be asked back to the Globes, but plenty of people enjoy his comedy and he isn't going anywhere.

:thumbsup2

I love Ricky Gervais!!! Just watched his "Out of England" special on HBO Saturday night and DH and I were roaring through all of it!!!! :lmao:

No way is his career dying! He is absolutely hysterical! :worship:

I'm a huge Ricky Gervais fan too. I thought he was funny. Sure, some of the jokes were of bad taste, but that is what makes things funny sometimes.

By the way, Karls "Idiot Abroad" series will be on Discover channel on Saturday night. I'm so glad they are showing it in the U.S.

Can't wait!

It was while he was introducing the head of the Hollywood Foreign Press. He said something to the effect of referring to his age, by needing to be there at the toilet to wipe his butt, get him to a walker & put his teeth in.

This is how these things get so blown out of proportion. He didn't say all that, he said that the girl walking the pres of AFPA out complained about him being slow, while HE (RG) had to help him off the toilet and put his teeth in. I realize you were paraphrasing, but embellishing like that is what starts a snowball effect the more it is repeated and re-paraphrased.

My thoughts exactly! I'm thinking next year they will get Jimmy Fallon or Ellen DeGeneres

In case you missed Ricky's comments, I found them on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tueD59x8JUo

Well well well...THE HFPA has spoken:

“We loved the show. It was a lot of fun and obviously has a lot of people talking. When you hire a comedian like Ricky Gervais, one expects in your face, sometimes outrageous material. Certainly, in this case, he pushed the envelope and occasionally went too far. The HFPA would never condone some of his personal remarks. Overall, however, the show was among the best we’ve ever had and we were pleased.”

full article: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/17/h...ciation-on-ricky-gervais-outrageous-material/

Love him. Like others have said, I watched the show BECAUSE of him. I watched it last year for the same reason.

I did read online that Ricky was allowed to decide who he wanted to introduce. I also read that the HFPA aren't allowed to read Gervais's "script" so to speak. So they are hearing it when we are hearing it. There has to be something they like(d) about him.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41123550/ns/today-entertainment/

http://scoop.todayshow.com/_news/2011/01/17/5861518-gervais-says-everyone-took-it-well-at-globes

Ken Tucker has an article on EW saying that the problem is that we don't "get" British humor and that the British are better at being rude than Americans are.

It's disgusting to me that being rude is something we should aim for.

I didn't find his performance all that shocking :confused3

Heck, I didn't find the jokes very funny either. The RDJ comments were too old to be funny, everyone made that joke 10 years ago. Come to think of it, ditto to the jokes on Hefner and Sheen who weren't there and weren't really topical anyway :confused3

I fell asleep sometime after Steve Buscemi won.

Since when are smelly old jokes from last decade's dust bin funny or edgy?

Come to think of it, ditto to the jokes on Hefner and Sheen

OH! I forgot all about that.... but not only was he rude, but the whole GAGGING bit about Hefner and his fiancee was so disgustingly distasteful that I can't believe the network isn't getting fined.

They wanted to slap an NC-17 rating on Blue Valentine for an oral sex scene, but it's okay for Ricky Gervais to simulate it on national television?!

OH! I forgot all about that.... but not only was he rude, but the whole GAGGING bit about Hefner and his fiancee was so disgustingly distasteful that I can't believe the network isn't getting fined.

They wanted to slap an NC-17 rating on Blue Valentine for an oral sex scene, but it's okay for Ricky Gervais to simulate it on national television?!

I didn't think that he was similuating oral sex, I thought he was gagging because Heff was so old that his "private" must look yucky enough to make you gag :confused3. It never entered my mind that it was oral sex.

That should have said "network" television and not "national" television.

But I have a hard time believing that he meant anything other than oral sex. And a quick google search confirms that I'm not the only one.

I didn't think that he was similuating oral sex, I thought he was gagging because Heff was so old that his "private" must look yucky enough to make you gag :confused3. It never entered my mind that it was oral sex.

This.

He was simulating "gagging" while looking away from Hefs man-parts. Hefs ex, Holly, was on E a few minutes ago and said she thought Ricky was funny.

These people need to get over themselves. Obviously, a lot of Hollywood stars believe their own BS.

These award shows are ridiculous, the Golden Globes especially so. I didn't watch it but kudos to Ricky Gervais for taking them down a peg or two.

Again, I'm not the only one who felt that it was something else:

Best reaction: Robert DeNiro laughing like crazy at Gervais' opening remarks revolving around an oral sex joke. If only that new Fockers movie had been so funny.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41110273/ns/today-entertainment/

If you had been waiting to see Ricky Gervais pantomime oral sex between a 24-year-old Playboy Playmate and Hugh Hefner on NBC, then the Golden Globes were for you!
http://www.movieline.com/2011/01/watch-ricky-gervais-eviscerate-hollywood-at-the-golden-globes.php

But the oral sex simulation bit was a bit much at the top of the 8 p.m. hour, don’t you think?

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/entertainment/love_that_tv/?p=438&srvc=home&position=recent

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter