• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good Conscience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being Canadian, I don’t pay much attention or hear much about bills passed from State to State. I do know about the recent law passed in Georgia. That was news worthy up here.

A question for Americans out of curiosity........do you pay attention to bills passed from State to State, or maybe just States that border your State?

We drive down to Florida each summer. Other then traffic rules, and points of interest, we don’t know much about each State. And come to think of it, we spend a good chunk of time in Florida each year. I have no idea about the bills they pass.

Do others research laws from State to State before they travel?

I'd try not to but when it's an entire state I'm a little more lenient than when it's just a business I don't agree with.

While state government may broadly reflect the attitudes and preferences of its residents, the laws are actually made by only a few, and many, many residents are not in agreement, or not in complete agreement. And I have no idea what an individual shop, gas station, hotel, restaurant, or other business owner believes. If a business donates to certain causes or espouses beliefs I don't agree with, my not patronizing them directly affects them. I simply don't want to give my money to certain business owners. It's not just that I don't want to help them prosper--it's mainly that I don't want my money indirectly going toward funding things I disagree with, and that I know they donate to.

I won't eat at Jimmy John's because the owner hunts big game. I find the photos of his grinning face next to a dead elephant disgusting, likewise those of him clutching a dead leopard to his chest. I think he is a vile man, and I won't give him money. But it's much more difficult to "punish" an entire state.

This is a tough one. I’m usually a black and white, right and wrong person, but this one isn’t clear for me. If everyone boycotts a state and hurts their economy, will it change their politics? Or does it just hurt the people who have to live here, who may not have voted in the people who created the abhorrent policies? These are the questions I would have to answer for myself.

I never ever pay attention to that kind of stuff. Or business boycotts.

This. How can one keep up with who passes what where?

I live in one of 'those' states. While some mindsets of the voting population are still deeply entrenched in antiquated thoughts, there are also many of us who shake our heads at those ideas.

I have 20 somethings and I see a definite shift in thoughts as they grow up from the same old, same old.

A big population of our whole country has antiquated thoughts on several issues.

Well, yes. I mean, knowing the place(s) the OP is referencing I have no real interest in going there anyways, but if I had already decided to do so, I would not change my plans. I would instead think that the people living and working in those areas will probably need my tourist dollars to help them get through hard times in the future

This is a tough one. I’m usually a black and white, right and wrong person, but this one isn’t clear for me. If everyone boycotts a state and hurts their economy, will it change their politics? Or does it just hurt the people who have to live here, who may not have voted in the people who created the abhorrent policies? These are the questions I would have to answer for myself.
If jobs are lost such as is happening right now in Georgia with the film industry pulling out, it might motivate those that disagree to be more vocal. I have no qualms withholding my dollars from a state where the majority voted in controversi lawmakers. You get what you vote for. Choices have consequences.

I will be 62 next month. I have lived in California my entire life. California, the home of abhorrent and extreme bills without regard to political leanings. I may just be numb to that.
Living in a state where you don't agree with the laws is far different than choosing to support a state.

If you live there, you have a vote. You can work from within to make changes.

Being Canadian, I don’t pay much attention or hear much about bills passed from State to State. I do know about the recent law passed in Georgia. That was news worthy up here.

A question for Americans out of curiosity........do you pay attention to bills passed from State to State, or maybe just States that border your State?

We drive down to Florida each summer. Other then traffic rules, and points of interest, we don’t know much about each State. And come to think of it, we spend a good chunk of time in Florida each year. I have no idea about the bills they pass.

I would say no, people generally don't research laws from state to state. But there are many items mandated at the federal level where states try to pass something that counters it so that will make headlines. Also controversial laws, such as not protecting the rights of citizens, will make national news. Anyone living in the US usually will know the big stuff going on if they read/listen to the news.

I do believe in boycotting specific businesses, an entire state is hard because it would be made up of many people of differing views.

Most don't pay attention to even their own home state. Many cannot pick out their own state on a map or even name the VP let alone their own Governor.

Sure. I live in a country that has abhorrent bills passed already. Doesn't make me hate my country and make me want to leave. States have so much more to offer than just their government. Now, if a state passes a bill that I really like, I may want to then go and spend money there while everyone else is boycotting t. Less people.

No. I practice what I preach.

I don't want my children to have to refight the battles our grandmothers won.

Georgia and Alabama will never see any vacation dollars from me. And if Florida's bill passes, I will have no hesitation putting Florida on our no travel list. It is a huge world out there with prettier beaches amd more interesting sights.

It may limit my children's sports as we won't do any that travel to WWOS. Hopefully Florida will learn from Georgia's governor that losing a huge industry is not worth a bill that only 36% of the country supports.

I find it hypocritical to claim you have values and then ignore your values for self-gratification. Would it be hard to give up Florida? You bet. But then, I just have to look at all that came before us and the sacrifices they made for civil rights, the right to vote, etc. And our military families that sacrifice each and every day to make sure our freedoms and rightz are protected. Giving up a theme park is hardly clise to putting your life on the line.

It will be very hard to give it up, but I think that is where I am at. I'm feeling rather sad about my position. I guess there is always Disneyland. I do live in Oregon so that is easier. But honestly, I feel like Disney should at least say something about this. This bill if it goes through is very extreme and they are Florida's largest employer (technically)

Last edited:
Would you, in good conscience, be able to spend your hard earned vacation money in a state that passed a bill you find completely abhorrent? Something really extreme.

Could you spend your money somewhere in the state, a county or a place, that stood up against this abhorrent bill?
I would not visit a state or country where I find their politics or policies disgustingly backward.

I live in one of those states. As much as I would like to just up and move, I can’t. Our jobs, family, and friends are here. The best I can do is call my representatives, make my voice heard, and vote. I wouldn’t boycott another state because I know there are people there just like me who would be hurt.

You mean if you're eligible to vote right? States aren't just made up of 100% eligible voters.

What about issues with people in power that you had no control over because at the time you weren't eligible to vote?

What about term limits or empty promises or political plans that sounded good on paper and yet failed miserably?

I don't find your statement to be black and white.

Living in a state where you don't agree with the laws is far different than choosing to support a state.

Where do you live? Just curious.

I live in one of those states. As much as I would like to just up and move, I can’t. Our jobs, family, and friends are here. The best I can do is call my representatives, make my voice heard, and vote. I wouldn’t boycott another state because I know there are people there just like me who would be hurt.
I don't think moving is a good choice either. I think if you can, its good to be the voice of reason within a state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter