• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good Conscience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Why are you so presumptuous enough to think that I have the right or obligation to tell others what I think, and that they would care." LOL Why post if you feel this way??
FTR This question could possibly apply to anyone

First, I post in generalities, and my comments were not, directed at you or any one other individual.
It is about the topic of this thread, which is boycotting an entire state because of a difference of opinion.

I guess, IMHO, if someone thinks that individually, they can do this type of boycott, and thus 'send a message' that basically says, you are wrong. This is how you should feel / think, and If you don't agree with me, I will boycott and 'send a message' and protest, etc... then, IMHO, that definitely is presumptuous.
In many ways, that person would be assuming that they are right, and that others (who might place value on a human life) are wrong. Which is judgement.
That person might also be assuming that this would have a significant and meaningful impact on other's viewpoint. Which I also feel would be presumptuous.

What I can tell you is that, my viewpoints on this kind of issue are passionate and well thought out.
And, people could, theoretically, boycott the State that I live in (NOT one of the ones mentioned) and it would have ZERO effect on my feelings, viewponts, votes, etc... It would only have an impact on that person, limiting themselves, and other poor innocent bystanders who live and earn a living in these States, even if they do agree with your viewpoint. Kind of an exercise in futility.

One persons "abhorrent" law is another persons "glad to see it" law.
Everyone is free to decide which side of an issue they agree with but NO ONE has the right to demand that other people must agree with their side "or else".
That's called absolutism and is, in and of itself, an evil concept.

And it can be argued that many of the issues currently in the news in no way take away any rights of an individual. They just have to go to another states. Recreational use of marijuana is illegal in 40 states. You are free to go to one of the 10 states where it is legal.
That would be classified as an "undue burden" and wouldn't be the case if we were talking about Georgia, they're trying to make that illegal also.

One persons "abhorrent" law is another persons "glad to see it" law.
Everyone is free to decide which side of an issue they agree with but NO ONE has the right to demand that other people must agree with their side "or else".
That's called absolutism and is, in and of itself, an evil concept.
That is ridiculous. The last time I went to Florida I dropped about 12,000. If I said, you know, I don't think the state of Florida believes that I am an autonomous person with equal rights, I am going to take that 12 grand and take it to Hawaii. That is not evil.

Last edited:

First, I post in generalities, and my comments were not, directed at you or any one other individual.
It is about the topic of this thread, which is boycotting an entire state because of a difference of opinion.

I guess, IMHO, if someone thinks that individually, they can do this type of boycott, and thus 'send a message' that basically says, you are wrong. This is how you should feel / think, and If you don't agree with me, I will boycott and 'send a message' and protest, etc... then, IMHO, that definitely is presumptuous.
In many ways, that person would be assuming that they are right, and that others (who might place value on a human life) are wrong. Which is judgement.
That person might also be assuming that this would have a significant and meaningful impact on other's viewpoint. Which I also feel would be presumptuous.

What I can tell you is that, my viewpoints on this kind of issue are passionate and well thought out.
And, people could, theoretically, boycott the State that I live in (NOT one of the ones mentioned) and it would have ZERO effect on my feelings, viewponts, votes, etc... It would only have an impact on that person, limiting themselves, and other poor innocent bystanders who live and earn a living in these States, even if they do agree with your viewpoint. Kind of an exercise in futility.
Actually your originial rant errr post was weirdly personal. But more towards a specific group of people on this forum. As someone not involved in the drama on this site, maybe you should step back, it seems you're taking it kind of personally. Secondly, the OP never mentions an organized boycott or complaining to anyone. This was a simple question, do you in good conscience spend your bucks in a state you think is passing extremist laws.

That would be classified as an "undue burden" and wouldn't be the case if we were talking about Georgia, they're trying to make that illegal also.
Well, that's why we have courts.

Awhile back, the governor of my state signed into law a bill that many saw as discriminatory against a certain group of people. Our state makes a great deal of money from conventions and sporting events. Some of those conventions and sporting events made it clear that they would not take place if the law wasnt amended or reversed. The law was amended. Many of us who live in the state were very grateful that people and organizations took that stance. There is power in standing up to harmful legislation.

Would you, in good conscience, be able to spend your hard earned vacation money in a state that passed a bill you find completely abhorrent? Something really extreme.

Could you spend your money somewhere in the state, a county or a place, that stood up against this abhorrent bill?
Yes b/c if not I’d have had to move. Would have had to move a few times now.

Do all of you ready to boycott states agree with the federal government? That's a problem.

That said, I don't feel an overwhelming need to travel to any of the states being referred to. I wonder if any other states are working to join in?

Last edited:
If jobs are lost such as is happening right now in Georgia with the film industry pulling out, it might motivate those that disagree to be more vocal. I have no qualms withholding my dollars from a state where the majority voted in controversi lawmakers. You get what you vote for. Choices have consequences.

I agree. I would rather chew glass and die than go to one of those two states and spend my money. I also choose to patronize businesses whose viewpoints and practices mirror what my own conscience is comfortable with. That means that I vote with my pocketbook in many ways.

I refuse to give my dollars to a business that has practices I abhor, and will avoid an entire state under some circumstances.

I don't know that moving out of the state is always the solution. We have had so many people move out of our state (Taxachus... sorry, Massachusetts), that the political landscape of the neighboring state that many moved to has now changed (and for some of them, not in their favor). This is the case for a family member of mine so I hear complaints firsthand. I don't think it's always about politics, necessarily; it's often about money, but the two do go together hand in hand...

From what I've seen in my years of living, there seems to be a "pendulum effect" that sort of keep things in balance. In other words, when things go "too far left", then along comes something that goes "too far right". Often, resolution means meeting somewhere in the middle. What we're seeing today really doesn't seem too different from what we've always seen historically.

I am living in that neighboring State and it has reached a crisis level, IMO. I am not sure where it will end, but people and businesses are leaving.

That is ridiculous. The last time I went to Florida I dropped about 12,000. If I said, you know, I don't think the state of Florida believes that I am an autonomous person with equal rights, I am going to take that 12 grand and take it to Hawaii. That is not evil.
If you believe that your opinion is the only correct one and that your personal autonomy is more important that that of others, you are sadly mistaken.
You have the right to be upset, boycott anyone or any place, cry, scream at the Moon, or do any number of other silly things to protest the actions of States that enact laws that you disagree with or that offends your sensibilities.
But....
Your 12,000 will not be missed by FL, or any other state for that matter.

Ohhhhh GOOD GRIEF.
Seriously??? Seriously!
Another political, but on the 'preferred' side of political, thread that doesn't seem to get removed here on the DIS.

Guess what.... Newsflash.... some people actually agree with some of these proposals.
And, as an individual, I am not so presumptuous enough to think that I have the right or obligation to tell others what I think, and that they would care. Like they just have to care, and I can force them agree, because 'I' am just so right and so important.
This is no different from activist who travel the country, forcing their particular agenda in a very negative way.
You might be surprised at how many people would say 'Just Go Home'.

To answer the question... I would have no problem with going wherever I want to do/enjoy whatever I want to do.
And, while these states might try to go too far, I have no problems with this anyhow.
If I didn't go anywhere where there would be people who disagree with me, and who differ from me..... I would never leave home.

You constantly point out how much you hate these ‘political’ threads and can’t believe they’re still open yet you still seem to post on them and contribute.

Seems a little two sided of you, but, you do you :)

And it can be argued that many of the issues currently in the news in no way take away any rights of an individual. They just have to go to another states. Recreational use of marijuana is illegal in 40 states. You are free to go to one of the 10 states where it is legal.
Bull. This takes the rights away of all the people who cannot afford to go to other states. This means the right to choose is only for the well off.

And Georgia's law says if you go to another state you can still be prosecuted. So that throws your theory right out the window.

Last edited:
I do avoid buying certain products or shopping at certain stores because of the owner’s/board of directors individual or political actions. I will not help line their coffers. I do agree with groups pulling their conventions out of states that pass laws that the members do not agree with. Would I avoid spending money in certain states? Probably not. If I happen to be in such a state (driving or flying) I’ll buy what I need and no more. But I also won’t go out of my way to visit and I won’t plan vacations in certain states now. I do feel sorry for the small business owners and employees but are many more places with small businesses owners and employees where I would rather spend my tax dollars.

Well, to me boycotts always seem to hurt individuals hardest, not the state. The family whose hotel I did stay in. The people whose restaurant I did not eat at. The folks who own the store I did not buy nick nacks from. Elected officials are insulated from all that. Sure, in rare cases it may cost them an election, but in many cases, they still get their pension, or get appointed to cushy government commissions. Hurting the hard working people to me is counter productive.
And remember, what is happening now is exactly what is supposed to be happening under the 10th Amendment.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
While I don't consider me spending my money in other places a boycott, just me spending my hard earned money where I see fit, if those merchants with the hotel/store with knick knacks/farms all of sudden start feeling a decline in their lively hood, it may prompt them to do a little research whether the person they voted into office making the rules really in it for their interests. Kind of like what is happening in the mid west and the farmers right now. It may not change anyone's mind which is fine. I respect anyone's point of view as long as they are informed and not getting info from twitter (any side.) Everyone has a right to their views just as I have a right where to spend my money. Respect does not equal support.

Consequently, I feel absolutely no guilt in withholding my money from a country/state/business that has truly abhorrent to me laws or business practices.

Oh please.

As for me, that is not what I think when I say I will currently not spend a dime in Georgia or Alabama. And yes, I am serious enough that I am researching any company I purchase from to make sure they have nothing based in those two states.

I fully respect anyone's right to their views or values. I am not saying they are wrong as they are entitled to their opinion.

That said, I also have the right to not financially support things I think abhorrent.

As I mentioned in my previous post, respect for other's opinions does not mean I need to support it.

I am sure, from your posts, that you would not support any state that had mandatory abortion laws. Would you freely support industry in a state that decided that young teens were too young and too much of a burden on state resources to raise a child, so mandated abortions for anyone under 18? You would find that abhorrent as would I as I don't support governments making medical decisions for people.

While I respect the rights of a state to pass their laws, I also am not going to support that state in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter