Good itinerary for sailing first time with a baby?

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
I’m due in November and would like to book a cruise in the future with the baby, but not sure which itinerary to go with. I’m not going to book anything until cruises start sailing again so I have some time to figure things out.

I live in Florida so a Caribbean cruise probably would be easiest since we could drive to the port and not have to fly with the baby. It’s not my favorite itinerary though and would love to go to Europe or Alaska. Are there those any good with a baby? I’m assuming by the time the world starts to get back to normal my baby will be six months to over a year old. It’ll be my first time sailing with a baby so I have no clue what to expect.

I’m due in November and would like to book a cruise in the future with the baby, but not sure which itinerary to go with. I’m not going to book anything until cruises start sailing again so I have some time to figure things out.

I live in Florida so a Caribbean cruise probably would be easiest since we could drive to the port and not have to fly with the baby. It’s not my favorite itinerary though and would love to go to Europe or Alaska. Are there those any good with a baby? I’m assuming by the time the world starts to get back to normal my baby will be six months to over a year old. It’ll be my first time sailing with a baby so I have no clue what to expect.

Have you been cruising before? If you haven't been cruising before and you want to test the waters, a 4 night Bahamian cruise would not be a bad idea, they stop at Nassau and Castaway Cay. Castaway Cay is beautiful and Nassau is the perfect port to stay on the ship and explore (unless you want to get off in Nassau, but many don't).

I have never done a DCL Europe cruise. But I have done Alaska before, and I almost feel like if you are traveling with kids, they should be old enough to appreciate Alaska. Plus, it is expensive just to fly out to Europe or Canada (since thats where the DCL alaska cruises depart from)

Have you been cruising before? If you haven't been cruising before and you want to test the waters, a 4 night Bahamian cruise would not be a bad idea, they stop at Nassau and Castaway Cay. Castaway Cay is beautiful and Nassau is the perfect port to stay on the ship and explore (unless you want to get off in Nassau, but many don't).

I have never done a DCL Europe cruise. But I have done Alaska before, and I almost feel like if you are traveling with kids, they should be old enough to appreciate Alaska. Plus, it is expensive just to fly out to Europe or Canada (since thats where the DCL alaska cruises depart from)
I’ve done over 20 cruises in my life and three with Disney, but none with a baby before so that aspect will make the vacation completely new for me. I like Castaway Cay, but I’m pretty over the Caribbean I’ve done most of my cruises there since we live really close to the ports. Was the Alaska cruise not baby friendly? Before having a baby I loved traveling so I don’t want to stop just because I have one but I also don’t want to leave her at home and go on trips so I’m trying to see if I can do some baby friendly stuff and a Disney Cruise seems like a good way to see the world with the baby

Since you live in FL why not grab one of the 3 or 4 night FL resident specials and just try out the accommodations, baby services, dining experiences, etc. that are on the ship and then decided on what you and your family can handle for a longer cruise. Use a very short cruise to "test the waters" on how cruising is different or, just maybe, the same as you have always enjoyed it. It's not a vacation, it's an exploratory adventure.

I wouldn't do a cruise in Europe with a baby. Mainly because the old cities of Europe are not built with prams & strollers etc. in mind.
It's not undoable of course, but also not the most convenient/comfortable.

Also European ports like Rome are not close to the city. If your little one is not in the mood to be moving around, you are not as easy back on the ship as when you are on Castaway Cay or Nassau.

I agree with PP, go on a short cruise to see what it is like, how your style of vacationing is going to change and how you can accommodate on longer cruises.

I’ve done over 20 cruises in my life and three with Disney, but none with a baby before so that aspect will make the vacation completely new for me. I like Castaway Cay, but I’m pretty over the Caribbean I’ve done most of my cruises there since we live really close to the ports. Was the Alaska cruise not baby friendly? Before having a baby I loved traveling so I don’t want to stop just because I have one but I also don’t want to leave her at home and go on trips so I’m trying to see if I can do some baby friendly stuff and a Disney Cruise seems like a good way to see the world with the baby

Ah ok. To me, the European and Alaskan cruises just seem not baby friendly. It is a long plane ride with a baby, plus the excursions are not baby friendly and I don't even think babies would be allowed. And for Alaska, thats one cruise where you will never want to leave the top deck or your room's verandah to see the scenery and with a baby's nap schedule, etc. it seems like it would interrupt the enjoyment of your cruise.

I agree with other posters, I would consider doing a shorter cruise from FL and test the waters and see how cruising with a baby goes. You can get a FL resident rate, only problem is is that you never know when these rates will be offered, what the price will be, what itinerary, what room category, what dates, etc. But, if you don't mind booking on the later side then you sometimes can get a really good deal.

Bahamas for sure. Europe is very port intensive. Sometimes 12 hours days. Do the Bahamas and stay on the ship at Nassau and enjoy the port day discounts at the spa. :)

We also live in FL. We were supposed to go to Alaska with my 8 month old at the end of the month. :( My in laws were coming which was why I felt comfortable going all that way with the baby. Also we’ve done that cruise before. My MIL wants to do a Europe cruise and I said no way, lol. When he’s like 7-8, maybe.

We ended up booking a 4 night Halloween cruise next October for just the three of us. I figure that’ll be an easy way for us to try out cruising with a baby.

Congratulations I remember reading your honeymoon tr. Maybe it’s because I had twins but traveling with a baby is hard work especially if flying. At 2 and under I wound stick with shorter trips just because of all the stuff you need to bring. It does help if grandparents come too. If you go into it knowing that it might not be as relaxing, fun, and entertainment packed as vacations once were you should be good. We have Alaska booked for next August and our girls will turn 9 on it and I think that age will be perfect. We plan on doing Europe at 10. This summer was supposed to be Aulani and while I think 8 would have been great the flight from the east coast not so much at this age but it’s all about going in with the right expectations. Check out Ciao bambino They have awesome resources for traveling with kids,

I'd definitely save Europe and Alaska until baby is older. It will be more enjoyable for all of you. (Our youngest was 7 when we went to Europe and 10 when we went to Alaska.) We've done Bahamas/Caribbean with babies (under 1). They're the easiest since you can always just do a beach day.

I would also recommend shorter stuff until you know how the kid travels. Different kids have different tolerances for long flights or schedule changes.

And that is the big, big issue going to AK or Europe: the time zone stuff. Babies are bad enough for Daylight Time. Move them 4 to 6 hours and you will find your intended schedule is unworkable because baby is going to do what baby wants. And if baby is used to eating at 6AM your time... You will be feeding that baby at 6AM your time, even if you are in AK and that is now midnite.

I am kind of the odd ball out here, but we travel extensively with our kiddos (now 10 and 5) and definitely prefer Europe and Alaska over the Caribbean cruises. I'd say Alaska will be slightly easier than Europe though.

We took our oldest on Western Med when she was 3 - we were living in Europe at the time though. I chose excursions that had express options into the city (for example, in Rome we chose the Disney excursion on the express train)

We did Alaska when youngest was 9 months old and it was amazing - she was in the Bjorn carrier all the time for excursions. To be clear, we could not yet do all of the highly active excursions but that's OK with us because we are fortunate enough to continue to travel as they get older.

We did Northern Europe when girls were 2 and 7. This cruise definitely veered towards older kids but we still had a wonderful time. My only regret here is that we couldnt do an evening excursion with the girls so missed the ballet, etc.

I would advise trying to travel (even just one night to a hotel) at some point before your cruise so you know what kind of traveler you have. Thankfully my girls are naturally good travelers and like airplanes but you never know.

@FSU Girl you are braver than we were. Now, both our kids had frequent flyer cards by age 2, but those trips were all to Grandparents or Great-Grandparents houses. I just can't imagine spending all that money on a cruise and not being able to fully enjoy it.
Our kids did their first Disneyland trip at age 4, too young in our experience since they still had to take naps. They were 8 before they could handle our hardcore Disneyland trips (in the park at 6:30am, not back to the hotel until after midnight. (Used to be after 1 am when Disneyland was still open that late.
Their first cruise they were 15 and 11, and those were amazing trips that we all entirely enjoyed.

I remember when I was pregnant with my first, who is now 13, and I said to my mother-in-law “I’m not going to be on the baby’s schedule! The baby is going to adjust to my schedule!” and she just kind of looked at me pityingly and didn’t say anything, although I’m sure she was bursting inside and probably went and laughed hysterically with her friends afterward.

For those of us who are very type A and planner oriented, having a baby can really throw us for a loop because you have basically zero control over this little person. Some babies are super laid back and some are not and you don’t know what you’re going to get until you get it.

With all that being said, I do think in many ways traveling with a baby before it can crawl, kind of that 3 to 6 month range, it’s one of the easiest times to travel with a child, with the noted exception of all the crap that you have to bring as a previous poster said. At that age, they just kind of blob around in the carrier or stroller and take a nap pretty much anywhere. To me, traveling with a toddler is far more difficult. At that age, they can run, argue, and are expert tantrum throwers.

One of the biggest things you can do to help yourself is to get it in your head right now that a “vacation” with a small child is a dramatically different experience. You are basically just parenting in a different location. Do not expect rest or relaxation.

I would advise trying to travel (even just one night to a hotel) at some point before your cruise so you know what kind of traveler you have. Thankfully my girls are naturally good travelers and like airplanes but you never know.

excellent advice, and I will also say that my two were absolutely terrible travelers when they were younger but now they are fantastic. I took them on a Disney cruise to Europe when they were eight and 11 and it was awesome.

For those of us who are very type A and planner oriented, having a baby can really throw us for a loop because you have basically zero control over this little person. Some babies are super laid back and some are not and you don’t know what you’re going to get until you get it.

Isn’t this the truth!! We refer to our travels with babies/toddlers as family ‘trips’ vs. vacations, because they certainly weren’t relaxing. Do I have regrets, no, would I travel again with babies, yes...but it’s definitely a different experience from traveling pre kids. I agree go on a short cruise to test the waters. And congrats on the baby!!

I vote a short bahamas cruise too because excursions with a baby aren't the easiest. It wouldn't be convenient to be stuck on an all-day tour of a European city or an Alaskan hike to change a poopy diaper or breastfeed/bottle feed or is having a meltdown. Plus you might just be too tried from all the nighttime feedings/sleep training to go on a real active excursion. Hence, going somewhere you can just veg out by the beach is probably safest.

Go wherever you are most interested in going. If you are able to go when baby is little (before they're too mobile) then it's nice and easy, not having to worry about food or strict bedtime routines. You just pop baby in a carrier and head to whatever museum interests you. If you're able to breastfeed then it's even easier.

I wouldn't book a tour though. Do things at your own pace. Public transport in Europe is easy, I don't know about elsewhere, but am guessing Alaska is trickier because it's less densly populated.

The main thing is not actually the baby, it's you. You don't yet know what the whole experience will be like for you (which of course will be different to all of us). You may have a poor sleeper and be insanely tired, so not want an action packed schedule. You may find the whole thing challenging and so why spend money on a holiday that is almost an ordeal, logistics and endurance, when you'd be just as happy getting some r&r at a beach resort. Or you may have a pre packed changing bag ready to go out and about each day. You won't know till later how you feel. I'm sure you'd be booking last minute anyway as no one knows what the world will look like in 2021, but listen to what post baby FSU girl is telling you and accept that she knows better that some idealised picture of what motherhood could be. Whatever works for you works for you.

P.S. I am really not saying don't travel. I loved travelling with littlies. Took my first to Malta at 11 weeks and explored all over the island. Then Spain when she was 9 months and charming waiters. Second one was 6 weeks when we took him to Cape Verde.

The most challenging flight was a long haul when my youngest was 21 months. Didn't want to watch telly, didn't want to sleep, just wanted to be down walking about. It was worth it though as we had the greatest holiday of our lives once we arrived. (My older child was 3 at the time and by happy eating snacks and staring at a screen so the challenging window may be short for each child - all are different obviously).

I'm another Mom with 2 kids who were terrible travelers until about the age of 6. They could not/would not sleep outside their own bed, even within their own time zone. Changing time zones made it worse. And no, they didn't improve with practice.
(Sad but true.)

My advice for deciding on an itinerary is to look at the excursions and get an idea of what you want to do, and decide if it is even feasible for a baby. If you want to be kayaking and do other adventurous activities, a baby might slow you down. (My little one is 7 and still cramping our style, he's very tiny and light which means he flunks height/weight limits.)

Honestly, we like beach vacations with little ones. Nice and low key as long as you can manage sun protection. My kids both wore full length rash guards and thankfully my little redhead would tolerate a hat.

You don't want to find yourself on a tour with a baby/toddler who is DONE and the group isn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter