Good reading for difficult times?

minnie56

DIS Veteran
A good friend has been diagnosed with Cancer ...
She's very weepy ..cannot sleep ...won't eat....
Anyone have any recommendations for her to read to help bring some peace and comfort? She has a wonderful husband--sons...but in those quiet times when her mind won't rest?

Thank you!

If she'd like something that would be very engrossing and totally take her mind off of herself, I'd suggest Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (go in order - first book is called Outlander). These are LARGE books, and totally addicting. Basic storyline: Claire is a WWII nurse, returning to Scotland to have a second honeymoon with husband Frank. While on a walkabout, she accidentally touches a standing stone (think Stonehenge) and comes to about 200 years in the past, in the middle of Scottish/English skirmishes. She's forced to marry young handsome Jamie, who turns out to be the total love of her life. Time travel mixed with romance mixed with fascinating history. There are currently 7 huge books, with the 8th coming out in March, and will be a TV series on STARZ starting next spring.

Not trying to be nosy....but what is her prognosis? I have read many books on near-death experiences that have changed my view on death. A couple that come to mind are "Heaven is for Real" andAnita Moorjani's book "Dying to be Me"... Would be good reads for her if she is fearful.

You know--I'm not sure? I let her tell me what she wants ...
I know it's in 'lady' areas (don't want to say here lol) and has spread to lymph node involvement and they couldn't remove all so she will undergo radiation and possibly chemo.

:sad2:

So very sorry to hear about your friend. Good idea - trying to find a book to help her have a moment pr two away from the worry.

Author: PATRICK TAYLOR

AN IRSH COUNTRY.........

Girl
Wedding
Courtship
Christmas

They're just nice, clean and beautifully written stories in the setting of the Irish countryside. I love the characters.

I would say that certain Chicken Soup for the Soul books might be good. I would steer clear of the more gloomy topics but such short little stories might work well.

Author: PATRICK TAYLOR

AN IRSH COUNTRY.........

Girl
Wedding
Courtship
Christmas

They're just nice, clean and beautifully written stories in the setting of the Irish countryside. I love the characters.

I've read those. They're nice and light. I finished the one about the doctor's housekeeper over the summer.

If she'd prefer something not so big, but fun and a little lighter, Janet Evanovich's books are great - female not overly competent bounty hunter in New Jersey, in love with 2 men, her cars keep exploding. One for the Money is the first one.

If you know what authors or types of books she likes to read you can go to this link:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/read-alikes

and type in a book or author and it will give suggestions that are similar.

I finished all of Janet Evanoich's books and used that link to find another author I liked. I ended up reading Stephanie Bond and Sarah Strohmeyer. Both good authors.

My other favorite authors, but in the mystery / fiction genre, are Ed McBain / Evan Hunter and Stuart Woods.

Sounds like you're a great friend! All the best to her!! :wave2:

The Ladies Detective Agency books by Alexander McCall Smith. They're warm and soothing, and something that takes you far way from your day-to-day life. They never fail to make me feel better about life. I can't imagine better company when you're sick and frightened than the characters in those books. I think the first three are available in a boxed set, that would make a lovely gift.

I like reading Amish fiction. Its not too deep and pretty predictable.

Good if you cant concentrate on plot lines etc.

(From a ca survivor - me!):)

Prayers for your friend

A good friend has been diagnosed with Cancer ...
She's very weepy ..cannot sleep ...won't eat....
Anyone have any recommendations for her to read to help bring some peace and comfort? She has a wonderful husband--sons...but in those quiet times when her mind won't rest?

Thank you!

How about a bit of humour? There are a couple of books Under the Paw and Talk to the tail books written by Tom Cox a man with 6 cats very funny.

Jen Lancaster and David Sedaris are some pretty funny authors, and there is always Chelsea Handler for those not easily offended. I find that laughter is good medicine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter